Helpful ReplyAre refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months

Author
knightsparker
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21
2018/04/07 15:34:19 (permalink)

Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months

I purchased sonar platinum less than 6 months ago which there was a promise of monthly updates. Being that the company is no longer contining the product or updates, im inquiring about refunds. I dont feel that the promises were kept nor was the purchase just now that they have made the software free. I dont think its fair for those who have purchased, is there any compensation or free rewards that can be returned due to this issue?
Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/07 15:48:39 (permalink)
Have you read any of the stickies?

You are aware that Gibson stopped development of SONAR.

Bandlab have now taken over the some of the IP and assets of Cakewalk Inc. but have not purchased Cakewalk Inc.

I suspect you would need to address your question with Gibson who I believe still own Cakewalk Inc. 

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
InstrEd
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1276
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/07 15:50:44 (permalink)
LOL
You're a little late to the party.
No you can't get a refund, but you install your purchase and install the rebranded Sonar now called Cakewalk and you are back in business to where you were. Meng the new owner of Cakewalk and Noel the head designer already said that updates to the DAW will be coming and won't cost you anything. You install Sonar so you get DimPro, etc...
that doesn't come with the free Cakewalk DAW.

There are plenty of threads on this already, so I'm asking you politely to read before starting a new thread in the future  :)

Peace and make Music

Instred
Chicagoland, IL 

scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/07 15:50:48 (permalink)
See the last Q&A on the BandLab Announcement FAQ. It directs you to the Gibson/Cakewalk FAQ and their refund policy.
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/07 15:51:22 (permalink)
The company you purchased from no longer exists. The software has been taken on by another company that are now giving the software away for free. As you didn't purchase from the new company it is most unlikely that you would get a refund from them. As the software is now free, you kind of are still getting lifetime free updates.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Daibhidh
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/08 04:39:25 (permalink)
knightsparker
I purchased sonar platinum less than 6 months ago...

I purchased lifetime updates platinum around the beginning of 2017.

knightsparker
just now that they have made the software free. I dont think its fair for those who have purchased...

There are things we got when we purchased Platinum that Bandlab hasn't just given away to everyone for free, and this isn't even an exhaustive list:

3rd party software:
Addictive Drums 2 Producer Bundle $149.95
Melodyne Essential $100-130

Cakewalk Synths:
Z3TA+
Dimension LE Pro
Rapture LE Full
Cyclone PSYN II
RXP
Classic Lounge Lizard
SONAR Strum Session 2
TruePianos Amber
Rapture Session
Ultra Analog Session 2

Cakewalk plug-ins:
Adaptive limiter https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=NewFeatures.15.html
LP-EQ
LP-MB https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/L-Phase

I don't know how much, if any, of the Boutique Suite was given away, like this:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/TH3-Cakewalk
so don't feel like you paid and everyone else got for free what you paid for,
because that's really not the case.

When I purchased lifetime updates, the way I understood the phraseology was that I would get DAW maintenance updates for free for life, but not new Synths or for purchase plugins. Bandlab is doing that, in fact, it sounds like they might even do more than that at least for the first fully featured release, so don't feel cheated. Gibson did cheat you, but Bandlab is stepping up and trying to do right by the entire worldwide Cakewalk community - that's a fact. If you can't get past what Gibson did, get a good lawyer and try to take them to court for false advertising, that selling 'lifetime updates' knowing that you're going to pull the plug as soon as you get a good number of fish biting at the line, is fraud, but please don't misdirect your anger at Bandlab.
Meng has said that if you link up your Cakewalk account with your Bandlab account, you can crossgrade to the first fully featured version for free, but that offer is only available to us former Cakewalk users, not to the general public.
His team is working hard on making that release awesome, and you'll pay nothing for it, while Gibson still has own money in their hands. Remember that. There's a reason some loyal Cakewalkers are putting money in the tip jar, because they get how Meng and Bandlab are taking care of us and how they're committed to keeping Cakewalk alive for years to come.

The people who will download the free version will not have all the stuff I mentioned above which we have.
It's a win-win for everybody concerned. You can get your friends, children, nieces and nephews to download CbB for free
(lots of parents like sharing their favourite movies with their kids, don't you want those close to you to understand why you like using Cakewalk, instead of it being dead and burried thanks to Gibson)
then you can send them projects if you'd like to musically interact with them, just render down the synths into audio for them because their version won't have the VST synths, unless they purchase them from Bandlab in the future.
post edited by Daibhidh - 2018/04/08 05:13:41
Tomas M.
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/08 06:18:15 (permalink)
Hallo,
do i must have the old setups of platinum to have the old plugins, or is it enough to install cakewalk over the bandlab assistant?

My Equipment
Gigabyte GA P35 s3g, 2Gb Ram, Intel Pentium Dual Core 2,66 Ghz, Creamware I Scope 4.5 + SRB Board I, Sonar Platinum, alesis usb 320, Cakewalk A300 Pro, Midicontroller C-Mexx MIR, Turntable SYNQ X-TRM 1, Battle Mixer Numark M2
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/08 06:25:39 (permalink)
Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) does not have all the Platinum plug-ins. For now, leave Platinum installed and add Cakewalk with the BandLab Assistant. Do not bother with the CbB additional content, that is already installed with Platinum.

After installing CbB make sure to check the preferences are setup as you want them.
iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/08 06:41:55 (permalink)
Reg. OP. I hope this is the practical joke question of the day.
Frank Harvey
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/08 06:44:57 (permalink)
Daibhidh
knightsparker
I purchased sonar platinum less than 6 months ago...

I purchased lifetime updates platinum around the beginning of 2017.

knightsparker
just now that they have made the software free. I dont think its fair for those who have purchased...

There are things we got when we purchased Platinum that Bandlab hasn't just given away to everyone for free, and this isn't even an exhaustive list:

3rd party software:
Addictive Drums 2 Producer Bundle $149.95
Melodyne Essential $100-130

Cakewalk Synths:
Z3TA+
Dimension LE Pro
Rapture LE Full
Cyclone PSYN II
RXP
Classic Lounge Lizard
SONAR Strum Session 2
TruePianos Amber
Rapture Session
Ultra Analog Session 2 ...............

.......................The people who will download the free version will not have all the stuff I mentioned above which we have.
It's a win-win for everybody concerned. You can get your friends, children, nieces and nephews to download CbB for free
(lots of parents like sharing their favourite movies with their kids, don't you want those close to you to understand why you like using Cakewalk, instead of it being dead and burried thanks to Gibson)
then you can send them projects if you'd like to musically interact with them, just render down the synths into audio for them because their version won't have the VST synths, unless they purchase them from Bandlab in the future.

Just FYI......
From another thread........There is apparently an issue with the future life of the 'Sonar Command Center' in that it needs to authorize the above listed installs IF say you need to move to a new PC. Noel has indicated that they will look into this and make provisions before turning the lights out at the command center.
Let's hope so :)

Sonar Platinum Lifer
Audio Interface: Focusrite 6i6 Gen 2
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm)II X4 630 2.80 GHz
Installed RAM :16.0 GB
System Type:64-bit Operating System , x64-based processor
Windows Edition: 10 Home
Windows Version:1709
OS Build :16299.125
Video:GEForce GTX 650
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/08 06:48:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby tonydude 2018/04/08 19:29:56
Daibhidh
Gibson did cheat you, but Bandlab is stepping up and trying to do right by the entire worldwide Cakewalk community - that's a fact. If you can't get past what Gibson did, get a good lawyer and try to take them to court for false advertising, that selling 'lifetime updates' knowing that you're going to pull the plug as soon as you get a good number of fish biting at the line, is fraud, but please don't misdirect your anger at Bandlab.

I realize this isn't a popular opinion around here, but the people at Cakewalk when the lifetime updates strategy was formulated, and Gibson, truly believed that the lifetime updates (which were part of a larger plan) would be viable and ultimately keep Cakewalk alive. I don't want to get into why it didn't happen as planned, but the original motives were honorable.

Remember that Gibson kept Cakewalk alive for another four years, at a loss, after Roland had given up. Also remember that while people were complaining about Gibson just casting Cakewalk aside and not giving a damn about the users, the company was working behind the scenes (presumably with Noel) to find a buyer that would keep the program alive, and enable the users to work with their software of choice.

Note that I was fired from Gibson. I have no reason or incentive to express these opinions other than my belief that Gibson has gotten a bad rap in all of this.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Earwax
  • Total Posts : 242
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/08 07:04:51 (permalink)
Anderton
Daibhidh
Gibson did cheat you, but Bandlab is stepping up and trying to do right by the entire worldwide Cakewalk community - that's a fact. If you can't get past what Gibson did, get a good lawyer and try to take them to court for false advertising, that selling 'lifetime updates' knowing that you're going to pull the plug as soon as you get a good number of fish biting at the line, is fraud, but please don't misdirect your anger at Bandlab.

I realize this isn't a popular opinion around here, but the people at Cakewalk when the lifetime updates strategy was formulated, and Gibson, truly believed that the lifetime updates (which were part of a larger plan) would be viable and ultimately keep Cakewalk alive. I don't want to get into why it didn't happen as planned, but the original motives were honorable.

Remember that Gibson kept Cakewalk alive for another four years, at a loss, after Roland had given up. Also remember that while people were complaining about Gibson just casting Cakewalk aside and not giving a damn about the users, the company was working behind the scenes (presumably with Noel) to find a buyer that would keep the program alive, and enable the users to work with their software of choice.

Note that I was fired from Gibson. I have no reason or incentive to express these opinions other than my belief that Gibson has gotten a bad rap in all of this.

Craig,

Thank you... seriously. It is so bizarre that, even in the face of those in the know (you and Noel) repeatedly saying what you just wrote, people for some reason still find the need to believe that Gibson "cheated" them.

Thanks for continuing to set the record straight.

Pain - the absence of things hoped for, the evidence of catastrophes unforeseen.
Daibhidh
  • Total Posts : 204
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/08 07:53:09 (permalink)
Anderton

Thank you for telling me this. All I knew was the timing. I think it's because the offer came right at the end, not at the beginning when Gibson took over, so all many people see is they made a fantastic offer and many people forked over their cash and then the plug was pulled, but if what you're saying is true, then it only looks bad, but the intentions were not like that at all.

One thing I will try to remember to keep in mind is not to attribute motives, but just cite the facts.
The facts point towards bad motives through inductive reasoning (timing), but that isn't deductive or proof.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is appreciated.

Frank Harvey
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/08 08:58:28 (permalink)
SEE NEXT POST
Cheers.........Frank in OZ :)

Sonar Platinum Lifer
Frank Harvey
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/08 09:10:09 (permalink)
Anderton
Daibhidh

Thanks Craig,
Your 'watched for' opinions are always ( and rightly so) given much weight in this forum.

If I May,
Perhaps the one glaring impediment to THIS amazing, worldwide , open forum is that us 'Ole Sonorites' (ie: now CAKE-WALKERS... I guess ) come from a multitude of different continents, countries, cultures and backgrounds.

WE MUST NOT FORGET THIS !

Lets face it...............SONAR /CAKEWALK is so blinkin good.... it's popular right across this beautiful planet.

Stealthy Communication with fellow Sonorites / Cakewalkers can indeed be problematic ,

For Instance,
Only the other day, a fellow Sonarite countryman politely warned me that our Aussie sense of humour can often fall flat with the yanks.
"Why ? I said.........The Joke is Obvious...............Obviously " !!!!
No.......... It often is not!!
We all have different backgrounds, interpretations and expectations.

As An Example,
This just may be why many of our loyal colleagues/associates are so intensely upset about lifetime membership issues as compared to other members . Their expectations, given their particular background, may be immensely different to yours. 
Flexibility and understanding may just be helpful here.

BOTTOM LINE:
We owe it to ourselves to step back occasionally and review our long held opinions.
Heck,...Is it Possible we have we actually got it wrong ?..............( nothing wrong with that.)

Do We Have Hard Facts OR Just following Popular Opinion ?

Craig has described his recollections / understanding of  our recent events and has essentially called for fair play / alternative consideration.
I think we all deserve fair play.
What do yall think ...... ( heck is that how you spell YALL ?)
Cheers.........Frank in OZ :)

Sonar Platinum Lifer
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/08 18:25:22 (permalink)
Who do you expect to give you a refund? The company that owned a product that no longer exists? A company you never had a contract with? 

This is pure logic. Gibson is not required to honor the contract they made with you via Cakewalk, a subsidiary they owned, but which is now defunct. No contract is forever. they all have an endpoint. That particular endpoint was reached when Cakewalk was discontinued.

As for Bandlab, they are not Cakewalk or Gibson. They were never a party to your now meaningless contract with Cakewalk/Gibson.

Besides which, you can install and use for free the continuation of Cakewalk, which means that you effectively still have lifetime updates. All the 3rd party plugins you had with Platinum will work in it. you have what you had.

Please, let this sink in once and for all. You'll sleep better.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Are refunds possible? Sonar purchase last 6 months 2018/04/08 19:56:25 (permalink)
Daibhidh
Thank you for telling me this. All I knew was the timing. I think it's because the offer came right at the end, not at the beginning when Gibson took over, so all many people see is they made a fantastic offer and many people forked over their cash and then the plug was pulled, but if what you're saying is true, then it only looks bad, but the intentions were not like that at all.

What I'm saying is true, I was there. I have no reason to make excuses for anyone.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1