Are there any options for an Internal KVM with Windows 10 Pro

Author
TerraSin
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1975
2017/02/01 13:11:18 (permalink)

Are there any options for an Internal KVM with Windows 10 Pro

I'll try and describe what I'm looking to do as best as I can. None of the options I've come up with so far really hit the nail on the head and I'm getting to the point where the best option I've found is to drop a lot of money on an Ultrawide Monitors with dual controllers.

I have two computers here side by side. One of them is my studio computer, the other is this computer which I use for everything else. The monitor I'm using right now I'd like to hook into my studio monitor setup to use on both machines. Now one way to do this is to simply change which input the monitor itself is using. The issue is an annoying delay when switching and the inability to see what's going on inside this computer while it's looking at the studio computer.

Windows doesn't seem to have any good options available for this. Idealy, I'd love to be able to have a setting like Virtual Desktop that would allow me to fluidly switch between computers while still being able to see what is going on within the other machine because I'm constantly getting messages and emails from clients that need quick responses. A Master/Slave option for multiple computers in Windows would be amazing but they've not really developed such a thing at this point for some unknown reason. I tried using Windows Remote Assistance but there were issues with it and an unwelcome delay.

So now I'm looking at dumping $1500 on an LG Ultrawide monitor that will allow me to segregate screenspace across two computers and essentially do what I'm looking to do but comes with a hefty cost and I was hoping there would be more of a software based fix for this.

10 Replies Related Threads

hheine
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re: Are there any options for an Internal KVM with Windows 10 Pro 2017/02/01 22:58:20 (permalink)
    Check out Ultra VNC
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Are there any options for an Internal KVM with Windows 10 Pro 2017/02/02 04:37:42 (permalink)
    What kind of delay are you experiencing when you use a KVM switch? Simple switches seem to suffer from the fact that one windows installation has shut off connection (usually to the USB mouse or keyboard) during time away and when the switch is thrown there is a lag until the newly connected installation detects the "newly connected" device. There are relatively expensive smart switching units that maintain a connection  (DDM dynamic device mapping). Might cost $150 to $300 but a lot cheaper than the same technology built into a new monitor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_device_mapping

Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: Are there any options for an Internal KVM with Windows 10 Pro 2017/02/02 18:22:25 (permalink)
    For what you sound like you are describing to me, Remote Desktop is the way to go. You connect your mouse n' keyboard to your primary system (your studio PC in this case) and RDP to your second system. Second system is then just a window on your main system, you can set the size to whatever you like. The requirements are the system you are RDPing to must be the Pro version of Windows. It is an included features of the Pro version of Windows.
    TerraSin
    Re: Are there any options for an Internal KVM with Windows 10 Pro 2017/02/03 10:28:51 (permalink)
    hheine
    Check out Ultra VNC

Sycraft
    For what you sound like you are describing to me, Remote Desktop is the way to go. You connect your mouse n' keyboard to your primary system (your studio PC in this case) and RDP to your second system. Second system is then just a window on your main system, you can set the size to whatever you like. The requirements are the system you are RDPing to must be the Pro version of Windows. It is an included features of the Pro version of Windows.

I tried using a couple remote desktop apps including the built in one with Windows. The biggest issues I was facing was lag. On my network there should have been next to none if it wasn't going through an external server. Most of these attempt to send data other than just screen/mouse sharing. Windows Remote Desktop was even overriding my audio interface on that computer which turned out to be a mess trying to fix.

Will look into Ultra VNC and see what that's about.

slartabartfast
    What kind of delay are you experiencing when you use a KVM switch? Simple switches seem to suffer from the fact that one windows installation has shut off connection (usually to the USB mouse or keyboard) during time away and when the switch is thrown there is a lag until the newly connected installation detects the "newly connected" device. There are relatively expensive smart switching units that maintain a connection  (DDM dynamic device mapping). Might cost $150 to $300 but a lot cheaper than the same technology built into a new monitor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_device_mapping

I don't use a physical switch. I use Synergy which works brilliantly for the most part (though trying out  Multiplicity since I have Object Desktop for a year) for mouse and keyboard and I would switch the input on my monitor option on my monitor while having one using HDMI and my main using DVI. The problem with doing that is the delay while switching. If it was instant, I wouldn't mind it but it's about 10 seconds between each switch which isn't good considering how quickly I go back and fourth between them while multi-tasking.

I was hoping MS would have a solution that worked similar and fluidly like Virtual Desktop but I don't think they consider people that use more than one computer.
    Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: Are there any options for an Internal KVM with Windows 10 Pro 2017/02/03 12:58:36 (permalink)
    What is Virtual Desktop you keep referring to? Also if you are having network lag for RDP, there is some kind of problem. I see virtually zero lag when coming form home to a work computer, and at work going system to system, it is as fast as the local console. I do it all the time as well, since I'm a sysadmin by trade.
    TerraSin
    Re: Are there any options for an Internal KVM with Windows 10 Pro 2017/02/05 10:36:21 (permalink)
    What is Virtual Desktop you keep referring to?

https://blogs.windows.com...-of-windowsmultiplied/
    AllanH
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re: Are there any options for an Internal KVM with Windows 10 Pro 2017/02/05 11:09:43 (permalink)
    With two computers and Windows Pro, I would use Remove Desktop. I use, and have used remote desktop, for years and it's fast and efficient.

Sonar Platinum, EWHO/D, Spitfire, Miroslav, Pianoteq, ....,  Kurzweil.
    sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: Are there any options for an Internal KVM with Windows 10 Pro 2017/02/05 22:37:28 (permalink)
    Have you ever thought of just using something like a tablet ,or like me ,a netbook running your internet chores ? I keep my DAWoff line so I have a little netbook sitting to one side. Real handy for lyrics and reading the help or this forum and yep, get email notifications too

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

TerraSin
    Re: Are there any options for an Internal KVM with Windows 10 Pro 2017/02/06 04:05:12 (permalink)
    AllanH
    With two computers and Windows Pro, I would use Remove Desktop. I use, and have used remote desktop, for years and it's fast and efficient.

You just using Microsoft Remote Desktop?

Update:
    Giving this a try again and I found the sound options which seemed to help a lot of the issue I was having. Will play around on this for a bit but this might be a winner.
    post edited by TerraSin - 2017/02/06 14:18:36
    TerraSin
    Re: Are there any options for an Internal KVM with Windows 10 Pro 2017/02/06 04:05:39 (permalink)
    sock monkey
    Have you ever thought of just using something like a tablet ,or like me ,a netbook running your internet chores ? I keep my DAWoff line so I have a little netbook sitting to one side. Real handy for lyrics and reading the help or this forum and yep, get email notifications too

Doesn't really help the situation I'm having though.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1