Arpeggiators and Rapture

Author
awilki01
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 817
2006/04/05 16:18:14 (permalink)

Arpeggiators and Rapture

IMO, Rapture has the ability to become a great arpeggiator using the Pitch EG.

Question about Arps.... As I am uneducated in music, are there some sort of formulas to help come up with good arps? The P5 demo I have has some arp patterns in the presets e.g. outward circle. Are these well known arp patterns?

Where can I find some good info on arps? I know I could manually do it, but if I can find some knowledge, it may ease the burden on me.

Thanks,
Adam

23 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/05 16:48:00 (permalink)
    Rapture has the ability to become a great arpeggiator using the Pitch EG.
    I can see where you're coming from with this, Adam. The concepts of an arpeggiator and that of Rapture's StepGens seem to be the same thing, but there's important differences. An arpeggiator takes the notes in a held chord, and redistributes them sequentially. Take a C major triad, for example. The notes C E G would form a held chord, but running it through an arp would give you those notes in sequence with a Forward shape. C, E, and then G, and back to C again (repeating). A Reverse shape would result in G, E, then C before returning again.

A StepGen is more of a phrase or pattern sequencer: a mini-version of what you'd see in a Piano Roll, within the synth itself. It runs through the pattern in the sequence that you've defined, and then repeats after it reaches the end point. One note triggers the entire sequence, and a held chord results in that pattern in parallel with each other. If you had an ascending "scale" programmed in a StepGen, and played that same C major triad, the sequence would begin on each note (C, E, and G), then begin its ascent (three times over) from there.

Man, it's more difficult to explain than it is to actually do. Play a chord into the StepGen with a "pattern" in it. Then play that same chord in an arpeggiatior (if you have one), and the differences start to become apparent. I'll try to flesh this out a little later, because I don't want to start throwing the Octaves and Shapes of an arpeggiator into it just yet. There's a high potential for confusion between these two (somewhat similar) concepts.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/04/05 16:56:13
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/05 17:24:04 (permalink)
    I've often thought about this. Why doesn't someone publish, either in actual musical note version, or in MIDI file, something like "25 most overused arpeggio patterns in trance and electronica" or something similar? I would like to see musically what is going on note for note. Then I could program my own straight into a sequencer. I guess that defeats the "coolness" factor, but all it is is a string of MIDI events when you get right down to it.

When I first started checking out trance, I thought, "how amazingly complex are these lines the producers are coming up with". Then I realized they are using arps for most of them. So I wish someone would publish a bunch of the typical arp patterns these producers use.

Anyway, Chad's diagrams and B's explanation will be really helpful along those lines. Thanks, guys.
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/05 18:10:22 (permalink)
    I've often thought about this. Why doesn't someone publish, either in actual musical note version, or in MIDI file, something like "25 most overused arpeggio patterns in trance and electronica" or something similar?

Because 'someone' would pay just to avoid hearing those 25 most overused arpeggio patterns ever again?

-René
    awilki01
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/05 19:01:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René

I've often thought about this. Why doesn't someone publish, either in actual musical note version, or in MIDI file, something like "25 most overused arpeggio patterns in trance and electronica" or something similar?

Because 'someone' would pay just to avoid hearing those 25 most overused arpeggio patterns ever again?

-René

It would be nice if there was a good VST/DXi plugin that was solely for arp generation....I would definitely buy it. I would buy P5, but that is a little overkill I think since I'm already so familiar with Sonar. I asked a while back about the VST/DXi plugins, and the ones I was pointed to were really of poor quality. Maybe I'll do another search....

Adam
    Rick McNab
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/05 21:54:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René

But that's the way beginners learn!
    b rock
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/05 22:30:43 (permalink)
    Here are a few pics to help you visualize the shapes found within P5's Arpeggiator.
    There you go again, Chad: Blowing me out of the water with those pics every time. Really, nice contribution. As you can see, I needed a life preserver.
    Thanks.

Hmm ... looks like I'm not the only one hacking P5's arpeggiator to get actual MIDI notes. 'Cause that sure ain't a stock arrangement.
    Print Arp to MIDI in V3? Cool .
    b rock
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/05 22:46:23 (permalink)
    Because 'someone' would pay just to avoid hearing those 25 most overused arpeggio patterns ever again
    Arpeggiators suck. I hate them. And I use them all the time now. Contradictory?

My mind-set changed 180 degrees when I got ahold of Project5 V2 and a hardware arpeggiator. The difference is in the control. In P5, that because of MIDI Remote Control and automatable parameters. In hardware, it's much the same reason, plus hands-on control. If you want to hypnotize someone in a flash, set an arp running at sixteenth notes and let 'er rip. "You're getting sleepy ... very sleepy ..."

But if you want to incorporate arps in a highly musical way, MIDI Remote Control everything. Shapes on the fly; trigger the latch from note velocity; tie four parameters to your mod wheel; mix it up. And (most importantly), know when enough is enough. They also have an on/off switch.
    Rick McNab
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/06 02:00:44 (permalink)
    Actually, those pictures from Chad are exactly what I just proposed. I didn't pay enough attention before I made my post.
    b rock
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/06 08:40:10 (permalink)
    those pictures from Chad are exactly what I just proposed.
    That was cool of him, wasn't it, Rick? Actually, there's some very interesting aspects of P5's Arpeggiator that don't 'get much press'. It's more appropriate for discussion in the Project5 forum, and the permutations are too numerous to detail here, but I'll touch on it briefly. It has applications in both Dimension Pro and Rapture, and becomes very useful in shaking up the usual arp approach, especially in multi-timbral mode.

Project5's Arpeggiator is per-track, and each of those tracks can have additional layers added to them. Those layers are accessed by the arp in different orders, depending on the Shapes (pictured above) and some other factors. And both the arpeggiator and the layers can be funneled to specific MIDI channels. Add to that the fact that layers can contain their own MIDI FX.

Result? The arpeggiator does its thing on a single track/layer, then jumps to another track/layer and cycles through them, before looping back to run through the next Octave selected. Each of the layers can be processed by MFX independently, and funneled to one or more of DP/RP's individual Elements. You end up with a variety of Element sounds (& MIDI FX) automatically switching among all of your available options, as controlled by a single arpeggiator.

The results sound amazing, and it's something that I've been able to do with no other arp setup. Certainly shakes up the notion of what an arpeggiator is *supposed* to sound like. Throw in a few Pitch StepGen sequences under arp command to top it off. Then, bring in the MIDI Remote Control.
    b rock
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/06 08:46:32 (permalink)
    I had to slow down the Rate to hear exactly what was going on with each of those shapes. . .
    Take Rene's MIDIOut plugin, and send it to an unused MIDI output port. Take a MIDI cable, and *short* it back in to that same port's MIDI In.
    Pick that up in another track. The arpeggiator can now be recorded to the second track.
    Which hardware arp do you speak of?
    I'm using the Alesis Ion for that as a controller. It transmits splits on 4 independent MIDI channels, and the arpeggiators get funneled to those.
    Four independent ones.

Edit: I should mention the AKAI ME20A MIDI Sequence Arpeggiator. Rack-mount, a mother to program, and volatile memory. It used to see more action before those other acquisitions mentioned, but now I blow the dust out every so often. Still, worth it if that pops up on eBay. Pretty much of a unique item.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/04/06 09:02:27
    Rick McNab
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/06 08:51:33 (permalink)
    How 'bout some MP3s of what all of this "madness" sounds like?
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/06 11:32:49 (permalink)
    Aren't there some virtual analog patten sequencers out there I know I had the demo for one on my old computer. Step Sequencers are great, as are arps, but not quite the same thing. We had an old electrocomp analog step sequencer with three banks. 8 or 12 step, I forget. Very cool, very rhythmic and easily assignable. A little easier to program than Rapture, where you have to switch pages.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    b rock
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/06 13:01:31 (permalink)
    A little easier to program than Rapture, where you have to switch pages.
    When an Element has the focus: 1-6 on the Qwerty (not the keypad). It helps.

Hmm ... there was a MIDI FX step sequencer that drifted in & out. I never could get it to work. And then it got difficult to find.
    It used to be here: MIDILfo.
    AT
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/06 14:21:10 (permalink)
    B -

thanks for the shortcut tip. But I was thinking about different step seq. within the same element - pitch, filter cutoff, etc. I know it is only a click away but with the hardware you could take all three lines in at a glance. And I'll be the first to admit my short term memory isn't as good as it use to be, although I no longer indulge the way I used to.

I'll google MidiLfo cause your right, it ain't there no more. I'll let all know if I track down the dang tricky beast.

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    b rock
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/06 14:30:00 (permalink)
    I know it is only a click away but with the hardware you could take all three lines in at a glance.
    Agreed. I consider that to be a necessary compromise. I don't know how else they could get everything in without tabbing the "pages".
    But I was thinking about different step seq. within the same element - pitch, filter cutoff, etc.
    The same tip works when the Modulators have the focus: use 1-7, though.
    I'll be the first to admit my short term memory isn't as good as it use to be, although I no longer indulge the way I used to.
    Same here. OK, I'm lying about the last part. But it's weird how a little goes a long way now.
    AT
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/06 14:31:59 (permalink)
    http://www.midifo.com/DownloadTrial.htm

I found the above at a catched site, but it seems to work directly. Funny that the midifo didn't directly.

It is some kind of demo version, plus they have (had) a step seq. that wasn't available. Curiouser and curiouser as Alice said. Anyway, it seems to be a one line seq. anyway, which would prevent working on several different synth bits at once. I guess I'll just have to depend upon my failing memory - but there is no upgrade path for it.
    post edited by AT - 2006/04/06 14:40:31

b rock
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/06 14:49:07 (permalink)
    they have (had) a step seq. that wasn't available. Curiouser and curiouser as Alice said.
    The full step sequencer (for Note Ons) is available in the full (registered) version. [Plugin Details] The LFO part has one for CC messages.

I hope that you have better luck than I did with the demo. I'd have bought it if I could've gotten it to work completely. Then again, you have to be a little leery of something that glides in & out of availability. I can find other ways to throw $30 out the window (if you can ever get it).

Be sure to check out the [Free Utilities], though. There's a couple of useful items.
    there is no upgrade path for it.
    Ginko Biloba. It's all we can hope for at this point.
    b rock
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/07 08:28:27 (permalink)
    Chad Beckwith [Cakewalk]: I had to slow down the Rate to hear exactly what was going on with each of those shapes. . . B Rock: Take Rene's MIDIOut plugin, and send it to an unused MIDI output port. Take a MIDI cable, and *short* it back in to that same port's MIDI In. Pick that up in another track. The arpeggiator can now be recorded to the second track.
    Chad, I've got to bump this to include a very important step that could wreak some temporary havoc for anyone trying this out. After all, it is a *hack*, and certainly not a *normal* approach to using the arpeggiator in Project5. Surely not an officially "supported" method.

Disable the default enabled state of the MIDI Override button in both tracks as you go. As you can imagine, looping an output back into Project5 will cause a nasty MIDI loop if both output & input are funneled into the same track. You can bail out of this, but I wouldn't want anyone to be monitoring at high volume levels while they were testing it out.

When I previously posted this hack online, I included an intermediate MIDI device with a MIDI Thru jack as another line of defense. You really don't need that, but that gives you one more way to interrupt a MIDI loop in the event that you miss a step in the process. I went so far as to put together a five-step set of screenshots for people trying out the approach.

Nothing wrong with the procedure; it works every time. You just have to set it up in a logical sequence, or all hell breaks loose.
    awilki01
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/12 14:08:01 (permalink)
    I just watched the Sonar 5 video: MIDI and Instruments Video

Sonar 5 has a nice sounding arpeggiator! Can Cakewalk make this a plugin for purchase?
    b rock
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/12 14:44:25 (permalink)
    Sonar 5 has a nice sounding arpeggiator!
    Adam: this got me to thinking. You have Home Studio, right? Each version includes 9 MIDI FX. I'm not sure exactly what those are, but Project5 includes 8 or so (plus Synchron32, and possibly some of those Musiclab "Lite" ones). One of those is an arpeggiator. Edit: Over & above the per-track arp.

This might be a bit of a stretch, but have you checked your own MIDI FX for the Cakewalk FX Arpeggiator? From what I understand, the one in Sonar5 is more of a fully-featured arpeggiator, but the "lighter" version will get you started. As I said, I'm not sure, but it's worth a quick look.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/04/12 14:52:33
    awilki01
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/12 14:53:53 (permalink)
    Yes, it has a MIDI FX arpeggiator, but it is less than stellar......much less so...
    b rock
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/12 15:45:27 (permalink)
    but it is less than stellar......much less so...
    Point taken. It was worth a shot. Although I must say that it's finding new life for me in the MIDIOut hack.
    Edit: I still haven't had much luck in researching a standalone arp, Adam.
    post edited by b rock - 2006/04/12 15:53:25
    awilki01
    RE: Arpeggiators and Rapture 2006/04/12 17:49:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: b rock

but it is less than stellar......much less so...
    Point taken. It was worth a shot. Although I must say that it's finding new life for me in the MIDIOut hack.
    Edit: I still haven't had much luck in researching a standalone arp, Adam.

I have just tried to loopback the MIDI to try and record an arp in P5. I just get a bunch of 'crud' in Sonar. I guess the P5 demo is limiting me... Oh well. It was worth a shot...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1