Artists you 'don't get'

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 12:00:55 (permalink)
I've never seen a halo, but what I find great about Dylans lyrics is his ablility to weave a narrative into his songs - probably coming out of the folk tradition. Country is also good at that - story, not lyrical. Like the apocryaphal movie producer line: "I've never seen anyone walk out of a murder mystery." Stories in songs kinda work that way. Also, Dylan doesn't do too many bad rhymes - and English isn't made for rhyming, unlike the Romance languages. About the only bad one that strikes me is the one from "Mr. Jones" about the "... COW, give me some milk..." Forced rhyme and the purposelessness about milk.

One lyric (Bread, not Dylan) that always stuck out was

If a man could be in two places at one time
I be with you, tomorrow and today

huh - that is two times, not places. One shouldn't expect too much from pop music as far as classic words, which is why the good ones really stick out. White Room by Cream - still haven't got it figured out, but love it just the same.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 12:01:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mcourter

But perhaps first and foremost on my list: Bruce Springsteen. I just don't get it. Sure, he's written a few good tunes, but what's all the fuss about?

Best Super Bowl halftime show EVER!!! Actually, the only good Super Bowl halftime show EVER! (IMO)

Now that I mention it, Aerosmith is one of the bands that I just don't "get". They're the lamest band in the universe, yet it seems like they play more halftime shows than just about anybody. I think they were the official band of the NFL for a while there.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 12:24:49 (permalink)
I despise all musicians who use their concerts to promote their political opinions.

I have no interest in Rap or what they call R&B now days. I loved R&B when people like James Brown and Queen Aretha were involved. They had talent. Someone bustin a rhyme over a beatbox or Sony Acid is not remotely musical to me.

Though I would say that there were a couple of Rap-ish tunes I liked, but they were ages before this crap-ola out there.

Captain Sensible

Tom Tom Club

Orb

As for the Beatles - I grew up with them. Was 7 or so when they hit the AM airwaves. Personally, while I like their music, I really like the psychedelic stuff. So when I put on a Beatles LP, it tends to be White Album (I have a white one), Yellow Submarine (Got a yellow one), Sgt Peppers (another yeller one) or Magical Mystery Tour (Red). I dont listen to too much before or after. Oh, I do listen to Abbey Road sometimes. I am not a huge Sir Paul fan. Give me something wierd like Blue Jay Way or Within you without you by George or pretty much anything by Lennon from that era. He could weave a picture with his lyrics.

Never got the Dead, Dylan or any folk singer other than Neil Young.

OF course, one of the bigger parts of my record collection is a plethora of the lesser known space rock or prog rock bands that came out about the time Pink Floyd was hitting the top of the charts with DSOTM. Things like Camel, Gong, Hawkwind, Caravan, early Genesis (not the disco crap), Hillage, Eloy, PFM... Much more towards the psychedelic and space rock scenes

80s music - well you have to recall the times. Pretty much everyone was convinced that Ron was going to kill us all by pissin off the rooskies. So there was a flippant carefree style to 80s music. That and MIDI had just hit the scene so people could program a drum machine and a synth and sing along.

What's not to get about the Safety Dance? This has to be the best song ever.

I have to say the two worst metamorphoses in music history were
Genesis from Trick of the Tail, Selling England by the Pound... to whatever the hell they became at the end

And
Jefferson Airplane to Starship - how the hell did someone who wrote White Rabbit sing that POS We Built This City?

Any guitar band where the guitarist shreds for the sake of shredding. Satch, Yg

Someone mentioned the Tubes. How could you not love "White Punks On Dope"?

I dont get Cage. I have tried
I dont get Wagner either. Tried that too.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
auto_da_fe
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1866
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 12:51:40 (permalink)
Now that I read my last post, did I miss a disctinction between artist and musician ??

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
Win 10 64 
SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
https://soundcloud.com/airportface
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 13:17:04 (permalink)
Space.. it's interesting your choice.

captain sensible song I didn't know of.. errm does remind me a LOT of rappers delight by sugar hill gang. Thats what I'm guessing influenced it. His music wasn't exactly serious , remember he did a cover of "happy talking" which was maybe his biggest hit.

Orb.. well in it's context people got it..the full version of the tune is 45 minutes.. as one poster on youtube said.. if you were sober you couldn't relate to it..hehe.. it's a bit like chill out music.. if you take it out of that context then it's different..

a bit like how I don't like a fair bit of FSOL's things, BUT this is a classic by them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjQqYFNK50M
(the first engineer I did a tune with in a studio was one of the people who did a remix of it.).

I'd be curious to know what you'd make of orbital etc..hehe

as for safety dance.. it's a club anthem really thats the audience it was aimed at, people on a night out 3 sheets to the wind..

The men at work song was out about that time when I was a kid..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNT7uZf7lew&NR=1

now the Australian tourist board use it.. again a big anthem in pubs etc.. it was a bit of a comedy record..

A friend has done a few comedy records, and they are big sellers IF you can get them played in the right context / places.

space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 14:09:03 (permalink)
Hey
FSOLs We Have Explosive is one of the greatest Synth instrumentals of all time. \

I like Orbital, but Orb's Little Fluffy Clouds is such a cool concept.

remember he did a cover of "happy talking" which was maybe his biggest hit.

I completely forgot that one. Now I have to go dig out my Captain Sensible LP.
You've got to have a dream
If you dont have a dream
How you gonna make your dreams come true

Now that is stuck in my head.

A friend has done a few comedy records, and they are big sellers IF you can get them played in the right context / places.

Long time Firesign Theater listener here. regnaD kciN!

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 14:13:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

remember he did a cover of "happy talking" which was maybe his biggest hit.

I completely forgot that one. Now I have to go dig out my Captain Sensible LP.
You've got to have a dream
If you dont have a dream
How you gonna make your dreams come true

Now that is stuck in my head.

All I can hear is Ling Ling doing a karaoke cover now......

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 18:22:24 (permalink)
a lot of people don't get coldplay. i like (and "get") their first two albums and will have nothing to do with the rest.

i don't get prog rock, at all. that makes me sort of a leper here, i realize, but hey. i mean i get rap and country, don't like them at all, but i get the idea behind them i guess. the low-brow toe-tapping hat-wearing vibe, that's easy to understand. the angry urban misogynist, i get that. but not prog. don't get much of the psychedelic stuff either. i kind of lump them together in my head.

the 80's - a decade to more or less forget in terms of nearly everything.

- jack the ex-cynic
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 19:30:58 (permalink)
Hey Jack,

Since you put it those terms.

Maybe "get" is really "like" in most instatnces.

How can we not "get" that ANY style of music is based upon some premise that the collective artists believe in (no matter what anyones perception is)?

Our perception may well mean that we do not "like" it. But being a musician I "get" all styles of music and the artists. Some just may not be my cup 'o tea.

jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 19:43:08 (permalink)
for me, "get" means "get the point of", not "like". i don't get the point of prog. i get the point of rap. i don't like either.

- jack the ex-cynic
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 19:47:54 (permalink)
space to be honest, they / earthbound were in the same recording complex I used to go.. I had the misfortune to meet one of them, someone else told me to go see him about something,so I did. He was just rude / arrogant to me for no reason, so maybe thats part of it . Not everyone was like that in the complex though and well people laughed at my friends when they set up there due to lack of equipment, yet they were the last to leave the building when others had left and probably hadn't sold as many recordings.
post edited by Fog - 2009/02/12 19:58:17
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 20:35:23 (permalink)
Lennon solo was flat out wimpy, except for a few tunes (I'm Losing You).

+1 I would have to agree with most of his solo music being sub par. (Imagine) came out during his solo days....that one has stood the test of time. I always liked (Mother) as well for the raw energy. I would have like to seen what he had left in the tank, though.
post edited by MakeShift - 2009/02/12 20:40:27

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/13 00:41:09 (permalink)
cold turkey is a great song, esp. the live version. Otherwise, not much of his solo work. Funny how synergy works. None of the Beatles post stuff is very good. Ringo did some of the best of it.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/13 15:38:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spacey

Tiny Tim

What's wrong with Tiny Tim???

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/13 15:46:07 (permalink)
Is he your brother, Larry???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skU-jBFzXl0

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
auto_da_fe
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1866
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/13 16:01:22 (permalink)
Jacktheexcynic --- +1

Get .vs like, that is how I see it too.

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
Win 10 64 
SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
https://soundcloud.com/airportface
dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/13 16:13:45 (permalink)
Wow, some surprising responses here! Also funny how often Coldplay is mentioned. I like a couple of their songs - never bought any of their CDs - but haven't understood why they're so huge.

Here are some others of mine - I don't necessarily think they suck or dislike them because of the genre, they're all bands/artists that I think are pretty mediocre and just don't understand why people who otherwise seem to like good music got so freakin' excited about them...

Smashing Pumpkins
Garth Brooks
Jack Johnson
The White Stripes

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
post edited by dlogan - 2009/02/13 16:19:37
lhansen
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4765
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/13 18:06:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Beagle

Is he your brother, Larry???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skU-jBFzXl0

Siamese twin Reece....

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/13 20:40:03 (permalink)
Disco back then...rap now... never got it..never liked it.

Don't get half of the CCM "artists" nowdays.

modern R&B ...back in the day... James Brown, Aretha, Temptations, Stevie W..... that was soul, r&b and just raw talent.
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/02/13 20:46:30

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
Kalle Rantaaho
Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7005
RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/16 03:09:28 (permalink)
Talking about the qualities of music makers and performers I'd like to point out that there's not only the music, there's also the person. There are so many that make super high quality music, measured in professional skill, but can not touch a single heart.
Steely Dan is one team, talking about which I've never heard the word "emotion" used.

In so many cases the music and the person make a 1+1=3, and when you add the era, it becomes again something else (like Grateful Dead).

Some are stage animals who, in live concert, hit the meat hook in your nose and take you where they want to. And this doesn't mean they have to be raging showmakers. Neil Young or Leonard Cohen can control a stadionload of people without a move.

And anyone who thinks he/she is some sort of musician has to be able to draw some kind of line between "what I like" and "what is good". In my case it means things like
admitting that Steely Dan is brilliant by any professional standards, their stuff just makes me sleep, and Steve Vai and the other guitar heroes are unbelievably good, but what they do sounds like superficial ego boosting to me, and the Walzing Strauss brothers of Austria were the Britney Spears of their era no matter how smooth their arrangements were.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1