Artists you 'don't get'

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jamesg1213
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 21760
2009/02/11 14:58:43 (permalink)

Artists you 'don't get'

Working away with the radio on all day today, several established, or even 'classic' artists were played that just leave me cold. Years ago I would read rave reviews about these people, my peers had their albums and would wax lyrical () about them, and I'd think 'eh?' I put it down to lack of taste, or 'coolness' then..decades later I still don't get it, and probably never will.

Here's a short list of examples;

Leonard Cohen
Patti Smith
Jefferson Airplane
Grateful Dead
(and here's where I get slaughtered)
John Lennon (solo)

Care to enlighten me on the above, or add a few that make you furrow your brow?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer

49 Replies Related Threads

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/11 15:48:56 (permalink)
    Hmm... I'll have to come back with some of my own as I do have them, and John Lennon would certainly figure on my list.

But I want to stick up for the Dead here as for me they are probably the greatest extemporisers outside of the jazz realm, the fluid interplay between them on a good day WAS really something to behold and there was definitely a 4th dimension to SOME of their performances that persisted outside of any substance that may or may not have been ingested at the time.

There is a fundamentally comforting naive quality to some of their tunes too...Sugar Magnolia, Shades of Grey come to mind but there are plenty more of that ilk, I never got into the Jerry Garcia guitar hero thing though as I was far more interested in what Bob Weir was doing usually.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/02/11 15:54:12

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/11 17:38:20 (permalink)
    space_cowboy
    myolpal
    treefight
    The Tubes
    Wham
    Coldplay
    Al Jolson
    Picasso
    Jackson Pollack
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/11 19:33:34 (permalink)
    the beatles
    pink floyd
    95% of post-millennial christian music (be easier to name the artists i do get)

- jack the ex-cynic
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/11 20:06:30 (permalink)
    I'd like to enlighten you on that list but music is a selective experience and current tension and attitude type of thing.
    That's a pretty diverse list. I never got the Dead. After raising this question, the next would be, what did you like?
    ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Working away with the radio on all day today, several established, or even 'classic' artists were played that just leave me cold. Years ago I would read rave reviews about these people, my peers had their albums and would wax lyrical () about them, and I'd think 'eh?' I put it down to lack of taste, or 'coolness' then..decades later I still don't get it, and probably never will.

Here's a short list of examples;

Leonard Cohen
    Patti Smith
    Jefferson Airplane
    Grateful Dead
    (and here's where I get slaughtered)
    John Lennon (solo)

Care to enlighten me on the above, or add a few that make you furrow your brow?

Craig DuBuc
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/11 20:29:18 (permalink)
    You've listed a few eclectics there. The Airplane was about political commentary, smart lyrics, a synergistic bass/guitar combination, and the sophisticated sexuality of Grace Slick. The Dead, well, you had to have been there, as their concerts were an experience that involved the Golden Gate Park and Haight, good dope, interesting people, and the lifestyle of being young and unfettered with responsibilities. Frankly, the Dead hasn't worked for me in over 30 years, but I still enjoy throwing Volunteers on the record player once in a blue moon.

Leonard Cohen was awful (though I thought that stuff was "profound" at 22), but knowing a few of his songs could be advantageous when singing at certain college parties (Barnard, Sarah Lawrence, etc.), as his stuff made the coeds randy. Lennon was art -- you either liked it or you didn't.

I don't like Patty Smith and wasn't aware of her until MTV--different generation in my mind, but who was the little pixie who sang "Love is a Battlefield" in torn clothing? Now, she was hot!

--kwgm
    bapu
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/11 22:06:02 (permalink)
    "Love is a Battlefield"

Pat Benatar?
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/11 22:11:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bapu

"Love is a Battlefield"

Pat Benatar?

There you go -- that's her. Great video.

--kwgm
    Jonbouy
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/11 22:41:36 (permalink)
    Elton John (nothing worked for me after Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)
    The 80's (Yes, the whole decade mostly I didn't get!)
    Oasis
    Coldplay
    The Verve (Bittersweet Symphony....ugh!)

More recently:

Goldfrapp.
    The Scissor Sisters.
    Hopefully they've both disappeared up their own self-importance already.

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 00:05:30 (permalink)
    I don't get artists. I do get musicians.

Best
    John
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 00:19:49 (permalink)
    kwdm,

that is Patti smith, the punker. Her first 2 albums were gold, and then she went down hill. What's not to like about a song called "PIssing in a river' (which is one of her best).

Never did like the Dead - I had a college roomate who played it all the time. Never really liked LA punk, either. Tho I did go see X a few years ago (I like the knitters better). We got there and I thought there was a horrible Henry Rollins imitator on stage. Looked at the ticket and it was Henry Rollins!

More interesting are what bad bands do you still have a soft spot for since they introduced you to a style of music. I still love Black Sabbath, but seldom listen to them. In grad school I bought "master of reality" and played it for a girl I was going out with. She said no wonder my parents worried about me in Jr. High.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 00:55:19 (permalink)
    Coldplay, Travis or any other NME-hyped British band that's appeared on the scene since the turn of the millennium. Generally I don't seem appreciate British artists to the degree most people do. I'm not blaming Britain!

Sven
    post edited by SvenArne - 2009/02/12 01:00:18

Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 01:12:10 (permalink)
    Shawn Combs.
    Whitney Houston after her 1st album
    Mariah Carey after her first marriage.
    Joe Satriani ever (just too many notes to be more than mildly interesting)
    Shaka Khan after her first album.
    Shakira other than her body
    Britney Spears, mouseketeer gone wild
    Alicia Keys just not all that interesting of a singer
    Kayne West - Mr Autotune success for only $189

Any artist who goes to the same New York based mastering house and has the same rap, pop, pumping, cymbal smashed mastering chain put on their tracks which makes it sound like every other artist in the top ten play list over the last 2 years. Can you say homogenized sound which is the safe play in sonics. If you need a reference go to the Itunes store and play the top 15 songs.

At least Nashville channel passes the Ss and Ts on their vocal tracks so it sounds like an attempt at dynamic range.

Ok...I'm done.
    post edited by Middleman - 2009/02/12 01:17:32

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 02:05:20 (permalink)
    Oft I'm able to get something from all 'honest' artists (if there be such a thing) ... the ones I don't get include those you've mentioned above and names I've repressed

name those that do:

commercials, propaganda, loudness wars, ear damaging guitar crunch, etc. (all of which I'm most guilty of)

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 04:21:26 (permalink)
    Coldplay
    The Verve
    REM
    Yngwie
    Neil Diamond
    Any Gangsta Rappa
    Status Quo
    The 'new' Genesis (not the old lineup - they were fantsastic)

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    alree
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 04:27:58 (permalink)
    Jan & Dean............or maybe it was the Beachboys..........................no, I think it was Jan & Dean. Never did get those guys.

Jonbouy
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 06:10:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SvenArne

Coldplay, Travis or any other NME-hyped British band that's appeared on the scene since the turn of the millennium. Generally I don't seem appreciate British artists to the degree most people do. I'm not blaming Britain!

Sven

Very well put and my thoughts exactly. Ever wonder why we haven't produced a Zeppelin, Floyd, Stones, Sabbath or those kind of benchmark acts for several decades now?

In 6 Letters: BBC, NME, the cronies that pull the strings in those 2 establishments pretty much dictate what gets heard here, unless its hits from yesteryear, as a result an endless stream of mind numbing clique aware 'in' acts that nobody gets except those in them elitist offices.

Lily Allen FFS! We used to have a proud and diverse industry where pretty much anyone could break through at one time without resorting to nefartism, provided they were good enough to get people into venues.

My 5 bobs worth. Rant over!

Lemonboy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 06:57:27 (permalink)
    With the exception of one or two tracks I just don't get The Who, and of course pretty much everything that 's on my 12 year old step son's i-pod!
    lazarous
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1461
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 07:54:33 (permalink)
    I'm so glad I'm not the only person who's not into the Beatles. I'm glad they existed, but... yeah.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    New Henry and Buster episodes available!
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 09:42:18 (permalink)
    Tiny Tim
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 09:49:22 (permalink)
    Ready?...Bob Dylan.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 09:53:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RLD

Ready?...Bob Dylan.

+1

And Neil Young.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 10:41:22 (permalink)
    Bob Dylan and Neil Young bring up some interesting points about longevity. Most artists have a real strong period and then have to make a living/statment for the rest of thier life. For popular musicians, this is esp. problematic since they usually peak when they are young. I've known the Butthole Surfers since before their inception and their best work was definately their early albums. Plenty of mere noise, but some really outstanding craftsmanship, too. As good as anything out there if you are pushing the boundries. Last year went to their "reunion" tour (tho they've never officially broken up) and the Dallas show was as good as I've ever seen them - one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

Bob Dylan's peak was when he switched from folk to electic - "Bringing it all back home/Highway 61 period." Great music and again moved the goalposts of rock. Most of his earlier stuff and later was ... OK. Can't say I've listened to much of it, really, so I'm voting with my time. But his lyrics are the best. Allen Ginsburg used to talk (interminably) about how at his best there was a halo around his head. And one thing you can give him is he sounds like Dylan, no matter what music he's doing.

Same for Neil Young. I only like some of his older stuff, but you can tell it is Neil even before he starts singing. That should count for something in this day of cookie cutter music. We went and saw a local underground muscial production of "Greendale" and the songs were good in a "Neil" way. Nothing I haven't heard before (except longer), but it was Neil without him playing.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    RLD
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1990
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 10:48:30 (permalink)
    But his lyrics are the best. Allen Ginsburg used to talk (interminably) about how at his best there was a halo around his head.

Yeah...that's the part I don't get.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 11:09:01 (permalink)
    I guess it's how we relate to specific songs.. even the location of the person comes into it..

e.g. strawberry fields, I'm not from Liverpool but it's a place there, I wouldn't know that except for the beatles song. Or Don Maclean, is the only reason I know what a Levy was.hehe

the classic one being "I am the warus" , some really big beatles fans hate that period. I like the vibe of the song , but the lyrics are a tad mentalist.hehe

some of the time it's just finding words that fit, although some don't fit correctly Abba did that with a few of their songs.

Jon, but Bernie (not to be confused with Bernie Inn ) does a fair amount of the lyrics.

As for coldplay.. hhmm for me it's a case of listening to the core lyric a lot of the time and not the words used to join it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3Kd7IGPyeg

I like that video, in the sense of he had to learn how to sing the song backwards.

Sven , yep the music press always hype up bands, remember the majority of critics were probably were once in a band themsevles.. I mean I'd never have heard of Bell & Sebastian otherwise..haha

Lilly Allen... well a fair bit of her work is recycled stuff, Karen Kay comes to mind with the song "smile"... obviously her audience probably weren't born to know the original.

I do find it funny how people have a sheep mentality at times and listen to what they listen to and it's just force fed them. Even say a book... if someone says it's a cool book people buy it.. maybe just to have on display in their book case. Some people just follow trends.

there are bands which do great material that I like, but I'm not blinded enough to say I like all their work. I even told one person.. the tracks 6,9,10 (or whatever they were) WHY are they on the album, they are just ODD.. but maybe someone else gets them.. to me I thought the tracks in question were a load of s*** and trying to be arty for arty's sake.

post edited by Fog - 2009/02/12 11:25:44
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 11:11:33 (permalink)
    The lists here, posted almost exclusively by recording musicians one assumes, convinces me more and more that the people one needs to impress to make a go in this business are definitely not other musicians.

If was to give any advice to any one starting out it would be go out and find an audience, make them happy, and forget the critics and other so called experts.

I mostly "get" integrity, so as most of the bands on these lists work in the field of integrity, I "get" them at least on this level. (Beatles, Dylan, Young, Cohen, etc.)

"Chacun son gout"

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 11:30:34 (permalink)
    Michael Jackson - the guy is the freakiest plastic-faced pedophile creep on the planet, but mention his name anywhere, and at least half the people around you will get a major stiffie over "The King of Pop" and start singing Thriller.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 11:33:26 (permalink)
    Now, I liked Airplane on their first few albums, early stuff like Volunteers and After Bathing at Baxter's. The Dead never moved me, but a few good tunes. Lennon solo was flat out wimpy, except for a few tunes (I'm Losing You). Cohen is not as good as his rep, I prefer Tom Waits, and Smith leaves me cold.

But perhaps first and foremost on my list: Bruce Springsteen. I just don't get it. Sure, he's written a few good tunes, but what's all the fuss about?

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    bapu
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 11:35:10 (permalink)
    but what's all the fuss about?

He's the boss?
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Artists you 'don't get' 2009/02/12 11:57:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: auto_da_fe

The lists here, posted almost exclusively by recording musicians one assumes, convinces me more and more that the people one needs to impress to make a go in this business are definitely not other musicians.

If was to give any advice to any one starting out it would be go out and find an audience, make them happy, and forget the critics and other so called experts.

I mostly "get" integrity, so as most of the bands on these lists work in the field of integrity, I "get" them at least on this level. (Beatles, Dylan, Young, Cohen, etc.)

"Chacun son gout"

I would say that's a strong possibility, yes

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1