@&$*... At the worst possible time...

Author
Dimaman
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 127
2010/10/26 21:44:35 (permalink)

@&$*... At the worst possible time...

Man o man.  In the middle of producing for Las Vegas client Joel Cecil of Conscious Souls after fixing the failed fantom firmware update, resolving problems with the new driver installation and just over all having a crummy time, and BAM!  Goodbye 90% complete project.  Ironically, Sonar crashed once in the beginning of the session, only 1 hour into it.  I was able to remember most of the stuff we had done and redid it, and vigorously saved every 15 min, like I should have in the first place.  4 hours later, 1 guitar player and 1 bass player later, we are working out the bridge and outro.  I was in the process of pulling up any instruments, or doing anything critical at the moment, and it gives me the "Sonar has crashed, would you like to attempt to save your project" message.  I click yes, and in hind site, I had saved only 10 minutes prior and maybe should have clicked no.  In either case, when I open the project I get the same message.  I have tried restarting the computer, running 32 bit and 64 bit... everything.  I am SOL, my client is pissed and I am getting a little fed up myself.

I still love Sonar.  It out performs all other DAWs, in my opinion, but this is unacceptable.  Crashes are rare.  I could probably count them on one hand in the last 6 months, but that is still too much.  Maybe an autosave feature like PT has, would be nice.

If anyone knows how to fix this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me... I'll give you... love and affection

19 Replies Related Threads

Norrie
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1665
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/26 22:05:55 (permalink)
    You can go in and set Sonar to auto save every X amount of mins

I cant remember what you need to go to to do this I will look and get back to you :)

I had a similar problem I had to open 2 sessions of sonar and copy everything across into the new session

I had no Idea why this had happend but what I did fixed it its never happend again(touch wood)

Try it you might be lucky:)

Or go to the folder all the audio is saved and just drag it in to a new session from there

It sounds like you just have a corrupt session for some reason :S

Hope you get it sorted let us know how you get on ?

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Dimaman
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/26 22:12:35 (permalink)
    I cant open the project.  As soon as i open it, *poof* magic error message. 
    Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/26 22:46:43 (permalink)
    Hey Dima.... what tha?? Major drama alright.

I've only seen this when some issue with the pc is present but not sure obviously what would cause your issue.

Two things... I would definitely go looking for the individual files in the project folders where you have them set up to direct to. May even be in the default locations? Not sure if you have changed them but you should definitely something there.

I would after this post a help message in the Sonar forum in the event those with loads more experience have more potential options for you but I suspect you will be able to recover a certain amount of your work from those files.

These issues can be un-predicatable and I would suspect the load of the current process caused the crash assuming there is no underlying hardware issue.

Hope this helps.

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    Norrie
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/26 22:47:13 (permalink)
    Can you open a new project though?

Go to the folder your audio for the project was saved in the one thats not working grab it all  from inside the folder and drag it in to a new session that should get you running again

Its what I hadto do :)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Dimaman
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/27 00:10:24 (permalink)
    Unfortunately guys, everything was still in midi.  My Omnisphere, Battery 3 and Fantom where not bounced yet, I usually save that for the mixing portion of the production. 

I've tried everything.  Its driving me nuts.  I'm going to give tech support a call tomorrow, but I'm not sure I can recover from this.  From now on, I will save different version every half hour and delete them accordingly.

I totally understand this could be an Omnisphere or Battery 3 issue, however, it didn't crash during loading these, mere playback.  Stuff we played back a few times and hadn't altered, so I'm not really sure what triggered it.  This is a very rare issue I have encountered maybe 4 times since April, including these 2. 

Sigh*
    Chambana
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/27 02:30:22 (permalink)
    Sorry you're having problems. My advice knowing very little about the actual problem - you did mention it's all VST based so... Before you try loading the project again, have you tried rescanning all VST's in question? Just load Sonar, before loading your project go to "Tools / Plug-in Manager" click on "Options" check "Re-scan failed and existing plug-ins" click OK, and finally click "Scan VST Plug-ins".

Also,

If you hold down the shift key while selecting a project it doesn't automatically load VSTs involved in that project. If fact, it allows you to selectively decide. So you should be able to recover your MIDI info that way as a fail safe. That feature saved my butt at least once.

Good luck!
    Dimaman
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/27 04:54:28 (permalink)
    whoa...
    Excellent advice chambana.  You are the man.  It's late and I've been battling it all day so I'm gonna hit the sack now.  But I'll give it a shot first thing in the morning.  Thanks buddy! There maybe hope
    djjhart@aol.com
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2189
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/27 12:23:16 (permalink)
    Dimaman from now on save your projects with a number system, Lets say the project was called My project, after every major edit, save as my project 1 then 2 , 3, and so on.. I have fallen into that dilemma too years ago, now all my projects are saved using a numbers system to prevent what just happened to you.. 
     Also I try what Chambana said holding down the shift while opening your project, which will enable you to open your project without starting the Vst's in the project , which you can load one at a time, to see if there was some conflict with the Vst. 
    post edited by djjhart@aol.com - 2010/10/27 12:25:32

Computer - Intel Q9550, Intel BX48bt2 MB, W8 64 bit. 8 gb Ram, SSD  
    Hardware - Tascam Fw1884 Control surface only, Ni S49 Komplete Kontroll,Roland Quad Capture, Ni Machine,Kore, Focusrite A/D converter, Blue Mic, Roland Gaia, Akai Mpk49, Yamaha HS80 Monitors.
    Software - Sonar Platinum , Vengeance VPS bundle,Sugar Bytes Effectrix, Turnado, NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Dune, Rob Papen  Blade , Delay, Punch Evolved.
     http://soundcloud.com/johnhartson/tracks  
     http://www.youtube.com/user/jhart1313 

Chambana
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/27 14:35:05 (permalink)
    No problem, glad to help! A couple more things come to mind.

Obviously be sure you have the latest versions of all third party VST's and in "Global Options" under the "VST Plug-Ins" tab, you can set it to automatically scan VST's at start up. I have this on, since my plug ins get updated periodically and this (in theory) assures your DAW is up to date.

Also under "Global Options" in "Auto-save and Versioning" it appears you can enable versioning with a selectable number of revisions to keep.

Best of luck! I use three different DAWs including Live and Pro Tools. Sonar Producer Edition 8.5.xxx is definitely the most stable of them all - even on a Mac Pro. :)
    post edited by Chambana - 2010/10/27 14:41:46
    Dimaman
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/27 17:40:41 (permalink)
    Back in action guys!

That shift thing worked like a  charm!  I dont know how, but some kind of "groove player" plugin was causing the crash.  I don't remember putting it in... weird. You guys are life and career savers!  Thanks!

So is there an autosave feature I am over looking?
    Norrie
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/27 19:28:46 (permalink)
    Glad to hear your back in action man!!!! Congrats!:)

Yeah you can set up auto save in global options

I odnt use it though once I know I am happy with something thats been done I just hit the save button on the VS-700 its just habbit to do that now.

Great news your back up and runing though !!!!

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/27 20:01:18 (permalink)
    Dimaman

Back in action guys!

That shift thing worked like a  charm!  I dont know how, but some kind of "groove player" plugin was causing the crash.  I don't remember putting it in... weird. You guys are life and career savers!  Thanks!

So is there an autosave feature I am over looking?

So what groove player was causing the crash? These details are important.

Craig DuBuc
    Mully
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1545
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/28 06:48:03 (permalink)
    Brilliant news....

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
    cdickey
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/29 23:55:49 (permalink)
    The lesson is that you can cause Sonar to crash by using plug-ins that have problems. Sonar can't protect you from everything and maintain highest multitrack audio performance at the same time. A plug-in is a piece of software running in the Sonar process space that can do anything. As cpu speeds increase this may change just as the C# language is relatively safe compared to C++.
    The situation is similar to how people would install a flakey device driver causing Windows to crash when it wasn't the fault of the Windows software.

post edited by cdickey - 2010/10/29 23:57:47
    Crg
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/30 07:31:28 (permalink)
    It's rather hard to assess blame. So much software architecture is "borrowed" and under developed in terms of working with other "borrowed" architecture. Trieing to save an ongoing process ( running plugin ) that hasn't got the right code built in to allow such is one concept that may be the cause. Two software entities trieing to use the same processor scheduling and memory at the same time is another. It happens too frequently to be a fluke so turning off auto-save when running plugins is just a safety practice if you have an unknown in the project.

Craig DuBuc
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/31 06:14:29 (permalink)
    Dimaman

I dont know how, but some kind of "groove player" plugin was causing the crash.  I don't remember putting it in... weird. 
    I think groove player in the Sonar metronome. There are some threads on the Sonar Studio and Producer forum on groove player triggered issues.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Crg
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/31 07:33:42 (permalink)
    Well you'd certainly expect that to work with auto-save.

Craig DuBuc
    Norrie
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/10/31 07:34:23 (permalink)
    I had that cause a crash a def times and had to disable the dll file for some reason but after a fresh install it worked ok

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re:@&$*... At the worst possible time... 2010/11/09 05:34:09 (permalink)
    I wouldn't be setting SONAR to scan VST's at startup. If you have a lot of plugins it will take ages to start every time.

You only need to scan VST's when you've added or deleted plugins. For a version update of a plugin often a scan isn't even necessary as the path, file name etc are still the same so as far as the Plugin Scanner is concerned nothing has changed.

Autio save can be set to operate every so many minutes of activity or so many actions before it saves.
    You should be using Per Project Folders and if you need the extra protection use Versioning to save a new version every so often.

Auto save does not interrupt audio processing and does not cause drop outs.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1