Helpful ReplyAttention: Pianists using X3

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Attention: Pianists using X3 2015/08/17 13:10:27 (permalink)
OK - time for an upgrade then. I'm kinda dead in the water without a working sustain pedal. I'll simply mention that it's unjust that I have to upgrade to fix something so basic.

cheers,
-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 6475
Re: Attention: Pianists using X3 2015/08/17 13:29:04 (permalink)
Just to clarify that the problem was not quite as simple as the sustain pedal not working - sustain does work in X3. The problem was for a specific workflow when you record over existing data that had sustain pedal events then there is the potential for multiple sustain events to be received in a random order for a *single* note event. This is the specific area that was not handled properly and it could lead to stuck notes. The issue existed in all prior versions but was somewhat more noticeable in X3 due to some other unrelated improvements.

The fix was far from simple and involved implementing new functionality for managing MIDI event reference counting inside the DAW. Prior prior versions of SONAR never implemented this so one could argue that this was not a bug but a limitation of the earlier versions. BTW there was indeed also a simple bug that compounded the problem. There were certain MIDI CC's that were being mistakenly treated as pedal events and could turn off a pedal at the wrong time if present.

PS: Please also check your PM for some more info...
post edited by Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk] - 2015/08/17 13:40:51

Noel Borthwick
Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Attention: Pianists using X3 2015/08/17 13:53:40 (permalink)
emeraldsoul
OK - time for an upgrade then. I'm kinda dead in the water without a working sustain pedal. I'll simply mention that it's unjust that I have to upgrade to fix something so basic.

I've found Platinum a significant improvement over X3e. Hopefully you'll find it does you a lot more good than just the sustain pedal fix.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
gmp
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1033
Re: Attention: Pianists using X3 2015/08/17 14:22:20 (permalink)
The main reason it was likely not fixed in X3, is because I seemed to be the main person shining a light on this problem and my bug report didn't get to them until after the last bug fix X3e. I was very late in the game with upgrading to X3. I had problems with Win 7 and my sound card that took me a long time to resolve.

I upgraded to X3 a few months after I got Win 7 and 8.5 working well. Cakewalk was already working on Platinum by the time they had a clear understanding of this problem after I put together a good recipe for demonstrating this. Noel assured me it would be fixed in Platinum and I thought that was reasonable considering the situation.

This is one good reason why this new system is the Cakewalk Subscription service is good, because they are always implementing fixes instead of shutting them down to work on a new big version.

Gerry Peters
Midi Magic Studio
http://gprecordingstudio.com/
Album Productions and Songwriter Resources
Cakewalk By Bandlab, Platinum 64 + 32 bit, Studiocat AsRock Z97 motherboard, Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM 16GB DDR3/1600, Windows 10 Pro all updates including optional, MOTU AVB Ultralite sound card/Midi interface/Dig mixer, onboard Video HD4600. Midisport 2x2 midi interface, Vienna Instruments, Ivory II piano, Komplete 9, Superior drummer. 5 HD's - OS drive 250GB SSD, Samples drive 1 500GB SSD,  3 data HDs - total of 6.5T
emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Attention: Pianists using X3 2015/08/17 14:37:07 (permalink)
Thanks, GMP, your timeline makes sense and I will upgrade.

Apparently, no one at Cakewalk is a piano player? Sustain pedal worked great in 8.5 Producer, and in X1. I waited a while before jumping to X3e - I'm sorry, but by that time, sustain pedals should have been figured out. I, like you, use Ivory II and now I've started on The Pearl.

So, a question - - - any issues with projects made in x3e opening up and functioning in Sonar Artist? I should probably look for or create a new thread on this . ..

. . . I have scads of 3rd party VST's and always use those. I never use ProChannel. I have bought my own AD2 and Melodyne - I hope if I install Artist, it won't mung up my registrations of these . . .?

Thanks, GMP, for basically helping the Bakers sort sustain pedals out, and for helping me, too!

-Tom

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1