Audigy MIDI synth not recognized

Author
stimpy77
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2006/11/13 01:22:17 (permalink)

Audigy MIDI synth not recognized

Using Sonar 6 Producer. Just got a new laptop. Along with my hundreds of dollars worth of DXi's and VSTs, I would also like to do basic MIDI editing using my Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook PCMCIA card. The card has Vienna sound fonts, etc., as all who mess with the cheap SB line of cards know, and the MIDI Out port to the Audigy synth seems to be recognized in FL Studio. But Sonar doesn't recognize the card's MIDI synth at all.

When I view the MIDI devices, I get the Maple virtual MIDI ports, and the Windows MIDI mapper is listed, but not the Audigy device. If I select the Windows MIDI mapper, Sonar tells me I didn't select anything, even though I selected the Audigy device in the Sound control panel.

I realize that if I have to I can map to Maple and the Audigy synth in another window and connect that to Maple, but that's too complicated; I want the ability to do quick loading and editing of .mid files (in addition to my real music projects which necessitate more setup labors), editing .mid's without any setup efforts.

Thanks,
Jon

11 Replies Related Threads

Junski
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1570
    RE: Audigy MIDI synth not recognized 2006/11/13 02:53:33 (permalink)
    I've read people having same type of MIDI related problems w/ A2ZSNb.

You say FL lists the MIDI Out port but does it list all those Synths too (hardware/software)?

Does booting the laptop when A2 is "inserted"/"not inserted" make any difference (for some this has been a fix).

Have you already
    - disabled onboard sound (SB cards don't like onboard audio being enabled)?
    - deleted the AUD.INI and then re-started Sonar w/ A2 inserted
    - installed latest drivers - http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/downloads/ (install using this method)
    - searched a resolution from - http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board?board.id=pcmciasb

Junski

stimpy77
    RE: Audigy MIDI synth not recognized 2006/11/13 03:41:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Junski

I've read people having same type of MIDI related problems w/ A2ZSNb.

You say FL lists the MIDI Out port but does it list all those Synths too (hardware/software)?

It lists Creative SoundFont Synthesizer (among Microsoft MIDI Mapper, Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, and Maple).

Does booting the laptop when A2 is "inserted"/"not inserted" make any difference (for some this has been a fix).

No.
    Have you already
    - disabled onboard sound (SB cards don't like onboard audio being enabled)?

No, but this should have no effect on MIDI hardware recognition, should it? The SB card is working great other than for Sonar recognizing the MIDI device.
    - deleted the AUD.INI and then re-started Sonar w/ A2 inserted

Did this, yes. No effect.
    - installed latest drivers - http://uk.europe.creative.com/support/downloads/ (install using this method)

That thread is obsolete; I updated the drivers with the latest from Creative which were updated in the last month or so.
    - searched a resolution from - http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board?board.id=pcmciasb

I skimmed it, this appears to be a Sonar-specific compatibility issue. As I said, FL sees the device.

Jon
    stimpy77
    RE: Audigy MIDI synth not recognized 2006/11/13 03:44:48 (permalink)
    Junski
    RE: Audigy MIDI synth not recognized 2006/11/13 03:46:50 (permalink)
    Are there any Audigy options listed in TTSEQ.INI?

Are you in Advanced mode (Audigy) and which device driver mode (ASIO, WDM/KS or MME) are you using in Sonar?

Is there onboard MIDI controller available and enabled?

Do you see any MIDI controller(s) in Device Manager (is it w/ yellow quastion mark?)?

Junski
    post edited by Junski - 2006/11/13 04:13:34

stimpy77
    RE: Audigy MIDI synth not recognized 2006/11/13 04:42:08 (permalink)

Are there any Audigy options listed in TTSEQ.INI?

Here is what is in TTSEQ.INI:
    TTSEQ.INI:

[MIDI Input Devices]
    0=Maple Midi In: Port 1
    MaxInPort=0
    [MIDI Output Devices]
    MaxOutPort=-1
    [MIDI Echo Devices]
    MaxEchoPort=-1

Are you in Advanced mode (Audigy) and which device driver mode (ASIO, WDM/KS or MME) are you using in Sonar?

Yes (advanced mode), and ASIO. But MIDI ports don't go through ASIO/WDM/MME (do they?).
    Is there onboard MIDI controller available and enabled?

No, but I'm looking for MIDI out to the Creative synth, not MIDI in. Since Maple loopback MIDI adapter is installed, I get those four ports in MIDI IN and in MIDI Out.

FL Studio sees:
    Junski
    RE: Audigy MIDI synth not recognized 2006/11/13 05:11:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: stimpy77

Yes (advanced mode), and ASIO. But MIDI ports don't go through ASIO/WDM/MME (do they?).

Actually, my question on driver mode was related to the feature mode question and not as you understood it. Anyway, I've seen here (forums) some resolutions for MIDI synth issues by switching to MME.

No, but I'm looking for MIDI out to the Creative synth, not MIDI in. Since Maple loopback MIDI adapter is installed, I get those four ports in MIDI IN and in MIDI Out.

As I mentioned earlier, SB cards don't like onboard devices (like audio and MIDI related).

Maybe this Maple thingy is confusing somehow SB drivers or Sonar?

Junski

stimpy77
    RE: Audigy MIDI synth not recognized 2006/11/13 07:34:26 (permalink)

Actually, my question on driver mode was related to the feature mode question and not as you understood it.

I understood it. In the Feature Mode Selection Utility (on system tray) it's set to Advanced. I am also using ASIO in Sonar, which answered the second part of that question. You cannot set ASIO/WDM/MME in the Feature Mode Selection Utility, only bit rate and bit depth.

Anyway, I've seen here (forums) some resolutions for MIDI synth issues by switching to MME.

That did it! =D Wasn't sure where MME was set but found it in Audio Options -> Advanced -> Playback and Recording -> Driver Mode.

Perhaps you meant Driver Mode in your question, not Feature Mode? :)
    stimpy77
    RE: Audigy MIDI synth not recognized 2006/11/13 07:38:37 (permalink)
    Set Driver Mode to ASIO, works too. The original setting (which was failing) was WDM/KS.

Weird that you have to choose ASIO in three or four places... :-/ You'd think you could just say "ASIO" somewhere and some wizard would reconfigure for that.

Jon
    Junski
    RE: Audigy MIDI synth not recognized 2006/11/13 08:49:17 (permalink)
    I tried this w/ std Aydigy 2/Sonar 5 PE Demo
    --> when working using WDM/KS all software MIDI synths are gone (only hardware synths A and B, Microsoft MIDI Mapper and Audigy 2 MIDI I/O are listed).

WDM/KS:

MME32 and ASIO:

Maybe Audigy 2 Zs Notebook has only software synths to select from or, do you see SB Audigy 2 Synth A and B listed there too?

Junski
    post edited by Junski - 2006/11/13 09:05:54

stimpy77
    RE: Audigy MIDI synth not recognized 2006/11/13 12:49:51 (permalink)
    I don't think the lil' PCMCIA card has a hardware synth. At any rate I only see the soft synth in the list.. which is quite alright, the SoundFonts load up in system RAM like VST audio.
    cwhowell2
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Audigy MIDI synth not recognized 2006/12/02 22:10:18 (permalink)
    Why can't Cakewalk add this to the help file or the FAQ section? I have gone through this MME/ASIO/WDM issue with every computer I have bought and it takes me several hours of forum search before I find or remember the problem and solution. VERY aggravating. :-(
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1