Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit)

Author
guyscohen
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2010/01/21 03:31:20 (permalink)

Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi there

Am a newbie here.

Just upgraded my pc so that it is a high end machine (Intel Core i7 920 2.6GHZ Processor, 3GB DDR3 RAM x 2, Asus P6t I7 Motherboard). Using Sonar 7 Producer Edition with Wondows 7 (64-bit). My firewire is the M-Audio 410 and midi interface cable is a simple class compliant cable (Midimate II).

Am working on a simple song with 1-2 VSTs (from FM8 and Kontack 4) and got a lot of drop outs in playback yesterday although the day before it was all fine. The CPU ruler was also green when this happened. I increased the playback buffers and this worked for a bit but then the problem returned. For some reason the mixing latency is greyed out (maybe because of the midi interface??).

So my questions:
1. Is it because I have new drivers and they take time to settle?
2. Is it because Sonar 7 is not Windows 7 compatible?
3. Is it because the Midimate II is not a very stable midi interface?
4. Something else?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Guy
post edited by guyscohen - 2010/01/21 03:49:07

16 Replies Related Threads

Bule
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 102
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/21 10:09:55 (permalink)
    Make sure you're drivers are set to ASIO in the options menu.

Rig
    HP  dx7500-Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz
    8 Gb memory, SATA 1TB 7200 64MB, Flatron W1942TE LG,  Steinberg UR44
     USB Interface
    X3 Producer
    Windows 7- 64 bit Sonar Pro 8.5  & X1,X2a,X3- Pro
    guyscohen
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/21 10:50:16 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.

The drivers are set to ASIO. It was suggested to me that I click on the Asio Panel driver button and set my firewire to 512 but when I clicked the button nothing opened up so I went into the firewire itself and made the change. Hopefully it will work.

G
    cglensmith
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/22 01:54:11 (permalink)
    Hello my friend,

Long waiting for you have I been.
    Pop and clicks have you? Thinks the Win7 upgrade is the problem, do we? Is it the bits and the PCs (bits and the pieces) wonder you?
    Schooled in the ways of the "Sonar" must you be, my Padawan. First, one must come to the end of oneself (or shortly after your next post)... only then, will the "Sonar" once again be with you.
    One thing simple I ask of you first... does your problem be fixed yet? No point in wasting the Master's time on one who already knows the hidden secrets of the Sonar""!

Wow, what a psycho, eh!?
    OK Guy, sorry for all the Sonar "Jedi Master" babble above, but I think I may have the answer to your problem and I was pretty impressed that I figured it out, so I just thought I'd give you a chance to do the same. I guess you could say I have been waiting for this moment for awhile... and am just wanting to bask in it a bit. :) How have you made out?

Is "hopefully"working yet?

DAW Specs & Software: Asus P6TD Deluxe Motherboard, i7 920, 12 GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, Windows 7 64bit, Sonar Platinum, Scarlett Focusrite 8i6
    My Favorites
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 744
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/22 02:46:28 (permalink)
    Do you have pops click when you play Windows Media Player? Your mother board is Gigabyte?

click image
    guyscohen
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/22 03:57:18 (permalink)
    Hi there...yoda:)

Tx for the reply - certainly the most entertaining and original I have received!

This is what I have done so far with mixed results:

1. Increased the playback buffer through the Options - Audio route. This worked at first and then the drop outs returned.
    2. The drivers are in ASIO. I clicked on the Asio panel button at the bottom of the Options - Audio - General tab but it did not open. So, I opened my 410 firewire interface and increased the playback buffers there to 512. This certainly gave me more stability in my more complex project and at first, on my simple one. However, then the drop outs on the simple project returned.
    3. I called Sonar to ask them what the problem might be giving them the history of the problem and my PC specs. We ran some tests and checks. The technician said that it could be one of 3 things: (a) A compatibilit issue i.e. upgrade to Sonar 8.5; (b) A VST issue - the problem may be due to Kontakt 4, FM8 or an interaction between the two (I will be testing this today by opening them in separate projects. Have reported the potential issue to Native Instruments) or (c) a Firewire issue. I don't think it is (c) because the company that created my PC for me tested it using the same firewire and they had no issues.
    4. On occasion I have gotten the odd "Audio Stopped" message and the odd drop out in my more complex project (which , btw, is still pretty light in VSTs but is more complex relative to the lighter project).
    5. I am not running the internet at the same time as working on a project, nor do I have antivirus enabled or a webcam active.

So here I am, slightly wiser but still a wee bit frustrated so please...enlighten me!

G

guyscohen
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/22 04:02:53 (permalink)
    I have not gotten any pops or clicks when playing back my compositions. Have not checked Windows Media Player yet but will do so. My Motherboard is an Asus P6t I7. Am not technically inclined so will write what is on the box that corresponds to your question:
    1. SATA 3/0 GB/s RAID
    2. 1 Gbit Lan
    3. System Bus up to 6.4  GT/s

G
    post edited by guyscohen - 2010/01/22 04:06:34
    spacey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/22 06:55:08 (permalink)
    Make sure your video and audio aren't on the same IRQ.
    guyscohen
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/22 07:00:35 (permalink)
    Thanks Spacey - could you talk me through how to check that and if they are on the same IRQ what to do?

As an update from me: I have checked both FM8 and Kontakt 4 in separate programmes and interacting with one another and that seems to work fine. I also saved the 'problem' project under a different name and it did not have any drop outs. However, I have made changed before and not gotten drop outs only for them to return after 30 minutes so I would not say this is issue is fully resolved yet.

Cheers

G
    spacey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8769
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/22 07:37:41 (permalink)
    G,
    Go to control panel,system,hardware,device manager.
    Select devices you want to check and right click and select properties.
    I've never used Firewire, mines USB but others will probably chime in to help if I've not included something you need.

From what I've read my guess is there sharing the same one and that's not good. Will sure get audio dropouts.
    Be sure your BIOS is updated.

If they are sharing- getting on different addresses can be a trick. Again, me not knowing about Firewire the first shot I'd take is relocating the video card to a differenct slot, hoping it'd get assigned a different IRQ.

At work but will try to keep tabs here. Good luck G.

Oh, if your interface uses a PCI(e) card, move it to a different slot if possible.(before moving your video card)
    post edited by spacey - 2010/01/22 07:40:35
    cglensmith
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/22 09:40:16 (permalink)
    Ah my young apprentice, proven worthy you are. Much patience in your desperate search for enlightenment, do I see. More than ready you are!

Having failed to find knowledge at the seat of the Cakewalk Council or from the well-intended guidance of more seasoned Jedi than I, it is now time for you to learn how to practice the ways of the i7. A price to pay you will, when you choose not to pay the price of Sonar “8”, I fear. Those faithful to the ancient ways of the Sonar “7”, must walk a different path than their fellows “8”. When, you practice the ways of i7 properly, no longer “hyper” will you be. Turn hyper-threading off in your bios, young knight! Some Jedi powers one must choose not to use, when required they aren’t.

Worry not. Your i7 powers are strong, strong enough to protect you from the dark side! (dark side = having to tell your wife you need a software upgrade, after all the hardware you just bought!)

Stupid I will appear, if work this doesn’t. Am I Yoda or just some Obi-Wan(nabe)-Kenobi? Discover you will. The Master leaves this to the young apprentice to decide…

Interested I be in our shared future, young one. Common path we walk (software and hardware platforms), together stronger we may be.

P.S. OK, so end’s my Jedi Master babble… I promise! LOL
     Here’s hoping this helps you finally get to enjoy your new hardware with Sonar 7.
    Cheers Guy!

DAW Specs & Software: Asus P6TD Deluxe Motherboard, i7 920, 12 GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz RAM, Windows 7 64bit, Sonar Platinum, Scarlett Focusrite 8i6
    guyscohen
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/22 09:57:48 (permalink)
    Great Yoda

How do I turn hyper threading-ma-bob in my Bioss (a much simpler question for a techie jedi in training like me)?

From your response I gathered that Sonar 8 would take care of these problems? If so, I do have a birthday round the corner so it may be time to do some extra chores around the house to make the wifey happy.

Peace

G

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win you're still a rat" - Lilly Tomlin
    cglensmith
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/22 10:17:30 (permalink)
    Hi Guy,

Just go into your BIOS on start up and hunt around for anything to do with your CPU configuration. You should find a setting that indicates hyper-threading is enabled and just disable it. Save and reboot.

Hyper-threading is one of the advanced features of your i7, from what I understand, but not all software makes use of it. If I was about to use my PC with my professional 3D software, I'd definitely go back and turn it on. In most cases, I don't think you'd notice the difference, unless the software you're using is designed to take advantage of hyper-threading. Don't claim to be an expert on this stuff. Just stubborn enough to stick with PC issues until I figure them out. Which, can be very painful.

Let me know, how this turns out. Am I an Obi-Wan(nabe)-Kenobi or not?  

guyscohen
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/22 10:29:53 (permalink)
    Thanks Obi-won

Appreciate all the help. Just to double check - when you say "go into Bios" on start up are you referring to when I start Sonar up or the PC? If either where do I find this?

Apologies for being a simpleton - I more like obi-dumb-kenobe when it comes to these things:)

G

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win you're still a rat" - Lilly Tomlin
    cglensmith
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/22 10:39:04 (permalink)
    Sorry, I just assumed. And this is exactly what happens whenever I assume. Ha!

This is PC related my friend. SO it's at boot up of your PC. Your computer will indicate what key to press to enter the BIOS. Might be F2 or delete. Something like that. Keep hitting the key until you enter your BIOS.

There will be a number of tabs with different settings under each. One of them will likely have CPU related settings. Just hunt around. Read visible instructions.

Only change the hyper-threading setting, once you find it under one of the tabs! Be careful in there.

The far right tab, typically has a place where you can save your change on exit, and your PC will reboot. Then go into Windows and Sonar 7, and all should be good. 

cglensmith
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/22 17:22:29 (permalink)
    Hey Guy,

Well... any luck? Did it work?

Glen

guyscohen
    Re:Audio Drop outs in Sonar 7 Producer using Windows 7 (64-bit) 2010/01/23 04:24:15 (permalink)
    Hey Glen

Spoke to the guys who built the machine and it turns out the hyper-threading is one of the first things they switch off. So, sorry if it steals your thunder a bit - amazing that you worked it out though as it would not have crossed my mind in a month of Sundays!

To the earlier post about IRQs - everything is as separated as it can be.

Tried the maching twice yesterday without incident so have concluded two things:
    1. It may have been a glitch in the first project that was resolved when I saved it under a new name or
    2. It may have been something to do with the interaction between the latest synths e.g. FM8 and Kontakt 4 with Sonar 7 which Sonar 8 may take care of.

Am going to close this one for now but thanks for all your responses and suggestions! Hopefully I will enjoy some time away from drop outs!

G

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1