Helpful ReplyAudio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly)

Author
MarkusW14
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2017/09/15 13:15:12 (permalink)

Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly)

I open Sonar Platinum, open a project, walk away, come back and there's the audio dropout toaster message waiting for me. I've tried the solutions offered by help, with no effect. The audio drop seems to happen after about a minute of playing the project or doing nothing at all.
Please, help. Thank you.

----------Specs--------------------------------------------
Sonar Platinum Version 23.30 Build 51 [2017.03] -x64
Sound Card: Roland Quad-Capture Driver Version 1.5.2.0 Asio 96000 Sample Rate
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2Ghz 8MB
MB: Asus Prime Z270-A ATX
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2
Hard Drives: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB, 120GB

Zargg
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10666
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 13:27:09 (permalink)
Hi. Do you have anything else running in the background?
Does it happen to all, or only one project?
Any particular fx / synths in common, if on several projects?
Did it happen recently? Perhaps afer the latest Win 10 update?
All the best.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

slyman
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 194
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 13:29:00 (permalink)
I see in your specs that your ASIO drivers are set to 96000 sample rate. 
Do you always leave it at that rate?

Sonar Platinum, Gigabyte H87-HD3, Intel 4770k, 16Mb Ram, Win 10 Pro, RME Babyface Pro, Roland A-Pro 800, Presonus Studio Channel, Kemper Profiling Amp, Strat/Tele/LesPaul/Taylor 214ce/Dean Cadillac/P-Bass
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 13:38:17 (permalink)
Are your USB ports in power-saving mode?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
MarkusW14
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 16:32:36 (permalink)
Zargg
Hi. Do you have anything else running in the background?
Does it happen to all, or only one project?
Any particular fx / synths in common, if on several projects?
Did it happen recently? Perhaps afer the latest Win 10 update?
All the best.

I did have a problem with the software for my KB and mouse, "Razer Synapse". It was a confirmed problem, even when running Kontakt player standalone, it would disable my Asio drivers and force me to use another, MME? I don't remember.
I just found today that even though I uninstalled "Razer Synapse", it left a program on my computer called GameScannerService.exe that was still running in the background. I had to use "Wise Program Uninstaller" to get rid of it, then clean my registry because it wasn't showing up in "Add/Remove Programs".

Previously, GameScannerService.exe would restart itself even after I'd end its process in the Task Manager. 

After getting rid of GameScannerService.exe I was looping my project for at least 5 minutes, until I decided to respond to this thread, then I got another Audio Dropout message. So maybe Google Chrome is a problem?

I've only lately been using Sonar Platinum a lot with the latest windows. So not too many projects, but ya, audio dropouts in all of them.
slyman
I see in your specs that your ASIO drivers are set to 96000 sample rate. 
Do you always leave it at that rate?

Some of my VST's demand it.
Anderton
Are your USB ports in power-saving mode?

No. I checked that.

Thanks, guys.
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 17:49:14 (permalink)
I'd suggest running latencymon and seeing if there isn't an obvious culprit before going down a rabbit hole.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
MarkusW14
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 18:28:39 (permalink)
dcumpian
I'd suggest running latencymon and seeing if there isn't an obvious culprit before going down a rabbit hole.

Regards,
Dan

Doesn't seem to find any problems. Can't really uninstall directx. The only thing I ever run at the same time as Sonar Platinum is Google Chrome. I'll have to play around in Sonar for a few hours tonight and try notice some more coincidences. 

CONCLUSION
________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks
without dropouts. LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:15:19 (h:mm:ss)
on all processors.
________________________________________________________________________________
SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name:
OS version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 15063 (x64)
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., PRIME Z270-A
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
Logical processors: 8
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 16314 MB total
Reported CPU speed: 420 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 1 MHz (approx.)
Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed.
Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS
setup for more accurate results.
WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported.
Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues.
It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency
and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process
needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine
started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling
of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to
that event.
Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 157.501010
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 1.774203
Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 155.794343
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 0.666561
REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute
in response to a hardware interrupt signal.
Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 72.048095
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel,
Microsoft Corporation

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 18:39:46 (permalink)
Try disabling your internet. I find this was the issue on one of my computers. Then I have another where it doesn't matter at all. Every machine and audio driver seems different. I do seem to remember people having drop out issues with Roland Quads, been a few threads you might try to find them using Google. try searching Roland Quad capture Sonar. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

MarkusW14
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 18:55:18 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Try disabling your internet. I find this was the issue on one of my computers. Then I have another where it doesn't matter at all. Every machine and audio driver seems different. I do seem to remember people having drop out issues with Roland Quads, been a few threads you might try to find them using Google. try searching Roland Quad capture Sonar. 

Yes, this is exactly what I've been thinking. I will try disabling my internet later. My Roland Quad Capture is highly suspect as well. The drivers haven't been updated since 2015. I wonder if that's a thing people do if a company has abandoned their product, maybe one should switch to a more dedicated brand? Especially, since my computer's hardware, and OS so different from then.

Thanks for your input. 
GuitarGuy
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 82
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 19:05:33 (permalink)
I noticed that latencymon is measuring your CPU speed at 1MHz - isn't that a problem?

DAW: StudioCat
CPU: Intel Core i7, 3.3 GHz
RAM: 32GB
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5450
Audio Interface: Lynx AES16e/Lavry Blue
DSP: UAD2 Solo
Sonar: Platinum 23.10.0 Build 14 [2017.10] - x64
Cakewalk by Bandlab: 2018.09 (Build 29 - x64)
MarkusW14
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 19:45:50 (permalink)
I think that's just how latencymon tests the CPU to get consistency. Nothing to do with the actual 4.20GHz.
I don't think my PC would even turn on if that was the case. :D
dcumpian
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 19:46:50 (permalink)
MarkusW14
Cactus Music

Yes, this is exactly what I've been thinking. I will try disabling my internet later. My Roland Quad Capture is highly suspect as well. The drivers haven't been updated since 2015. I wonder if that's a thing people do if a company has abandoned their product, maybe one should switch to a more dedicated brand? Especially, since my computer's hardware, and OS so different from then.

Thanks for your input. 

I have an external ethernet WiFi adapter that seems to work just fine without affecting internal latency. This was recommended by the system builder and I haven't had any trouble running projects at 24/96. Apparently, an external device moves all of the communication processing off of the CPU.

Regards,
Dan

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
MarkusW14
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 20:02:44 (permalink)
The only problem I have with that statement, is that my computer is an absolute beast, and I shouldn't be experiencing these problems at all, as far CPU power is concerned. However, I did order a new external sound card, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen), which will reduce latency by 5 times, so they claim. Not only that, Focusrite regularly updates their drivers. It looks like my Roland Quad Capture has been totally abandoned. Roland doesn't own Cakewalk anymore, so maybe Gibson guitars is going to release something soon, if they haven't already. 
dcumpian
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 20:58:29 (permalink)
MarkusW14
The only problem I have with that statement, is that my computer is an absolute beast, and I shouldn't be experiencing these problems at all, as far CPU power is concerned. However, I did order a new external sound card, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen), which will reduce latency by 5 times, so they claim. Not only that, Focusrite regularly updates their drivers. It looks like my Roland Quad Capture has been totally abandoned. Roland doesn't own Cakewalk anymore, so maybe Gibson guitars is going to release something soon, if they haven't already. 

I would never buy an interface that was not independent of the DAW I am using. There are so many reliable audio interfaces available right now. If it were me, I'd buy an RME...

Regards,
Dan

My music:
MarkusW14
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 22:08:18 (permalink)
RME is too expensive.
Cactus Music
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/15 22:42:08 (permalink)
Actually Tascam is now affiliated indirectly as both Sonar and Tascam are owned by Gibson. 
And you will see that Tascam makes interfaces at the same price point as Scarletts. I like the looks of the Tascam 2x2 over the 2i2 because it has MIDI and comes with external power supply. It really depends on what features you would like or need. 
I think it's a wise move to upgrade. And ya, your computer is certainly capable. You should not be having issues. 

And as I have said about the network, some can and  some can't be on line it's really system  to system. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

dcumpian
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/18 12:23:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Zargg 2017/09/18 12:26:59
MarkusW14
RME is too expensive.

I don't understand that logic at all. Why spend $2000 on a beast of a machine and then hamper it with a cheap interface? A good, reliable interface, with rock-solid drivers is worth every penny, plus all of the time saved in aggravation and troubleshooting.

Regards,
Dan

My music:
Zargg
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/18 12:26:43 (permalink)
MarkusW14
RME is too expensive.

There's always 2nd hand. They are mostly built like tanks, and stable.
RME has great driver support, and release drivers compatible with old(er) devices.

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ
Win 10 Pro X64, Cakewalk by Bandlab, SPlat X64, AMD AM3+ fx-8320, 16Gb RAM, RME Ucx (+ ARC), Tascam FW 1884, M-Audio Keystation 61es, *AKAI MPK Pro 25, *Softube Console1, Alesis DM6 USB, Maschine MkII
Laptop setup: Win 10 X64, i5 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, 320gb 7200 RPM HD, Focusrite Solo, + *

35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/18 13:41:28 (permalink)
You don't need a very expensive sound card to produce great music at broadcast quality. Also, this issue may not be soundcard related at all. All hardware manufacturers release new products, phase out old products and then stop supporting them completely. I've always used Focusrite over the years. They make some good gear. I have a Pro 40 which is pretty ancient now but still available new. There hasn't been a driver update for it for a while and that's probably because it works fine. I recently got an M-Audio Projectmix I/O for an absolute bargain on Ebay. No driver update for that since 2012 but works fine with Splat on windows 10 and gives me heaps of functionality with 8 decent mic pres. It also works as a makie controller in Premiere and After Effects too. It cost less than a new bottom of the range, single mic pre. Focusrite.

The moral of the story? Well, quite a few problems (especially crashes) are sound card related. But not all by any means. Some old, obsolete gear can be better than some new, up to date gear. You don't have to spend a fortune on gear to get the best results in the same way that you don't have to spend a fortune on hiring a top producer, engineer, and the best session musicians to crowd out your home studio and work on your track for you.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/18 16:16:18 (permalink)
I had a Quad-Capture and experienced the same problem.  I switched to an RME Babyface and haven't looked back.  Is there a chance you might be able to borrow another interface and see if the issue persists?  If it is your interface there are a lot of other options that are less expensive than RME.

Good luck to you.

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
MarkusW14
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/18 18:28:14 (permalink)
I bought Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen) specifically because I only ever record my guitars DI (apartment life), and out of the sound cards in the price range of 300 dollars, that one has the lowest latency. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen) has 2ms roundtrip latency, whereas my Roland Quad Capture has 18ms, and cost twice as much. Half the price for a 10th of the latency, hopefully. Still waiting for them to send it. 

On topic: I completely disabled my internet, restarted my computer, opened up a project in Sonar Platinum, set it to loop, drove to Tim Hortons, ran through the grocery store, came back 25 minutes later and my audio had dropped out.
With my computer specs, playing projects only ever takes up 20% of my CPU usage, at most, so I don't understand how it could be a CPU interruption or something of that nature. I'm not lacking processing power. So, in my mind, it must be a driver.
Cactus Music
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/18 18:56:05 (permalink)
First, you'll be hard pressed to actually get 2ms RTL from a Scarlett, I have the same basic device with a 6i6 and I am only stable at about 9-12ms. Mine is a 1st gen but I really don't think there will be much better than say 5-7 ms with the 2nd gen. You really do need to make the jump t RME or Motu for those sort of performance figures.
 But never mind, it will be a improvement and hopefully should solve your problem.  

Johnny V  
Cakelab  

MarkusW14
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/18 19:28:50 (permalink)
I'm only going by what was said on Focusrite's website, and a few product reviews on youtube, people love it. However, I will report back here once the sound card is delivered with a screen shot bragging if the 2ms thing is true, but you're probably right.
Zargg
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/18 19:34:13 (permalink)
I have a 2. gen Focusrite Solo for my laptop setup, and it is nice. No issues at all. But I can't get down to those (or my RME's) numbers mentioned above. But that isn't an issue at all.
My guess is that you will be happy with it 

Ken Nilsen
Zargg
BBZ

MarkusW14
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/18 19:39:48 (permalink)
The Focusrite Solo is not as good for low latency as the Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen), so it says on their website. I'm glad to hear you're not having any problems.
olemon
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 768
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/19 00:59:06 (permalink)
I'm having trouble with a couple of existing projects.  I posted a new thread.

https://www.reverbnation.com/scottholson

Platinum, Studio One 3 Pro, Win 10 (x64), AMD FX-8350, ASUS M5A97 R2.0, 16GB, RME UCX, Digimax DP88, Faderport 8, Revive Audio Mod Studio Channel, Vintage Audio M72, Summit Audio TLA-50, KRK Rokit 5 G2 Monitors, Guitars

"If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute."
MarkusW14
Re: Audio Dropouts (The engine has been stopped unexpectedly) 2017/09/21 05:04:27 (permalink)
So the solution to my problem was getting a new sound card, the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd gen) is what I chose. The Roland Quad Capture was the problem and was the cause of the audio dropouts, which is too bad because it is a well built product. The outdated drivers make the card worthless with my current computer. 

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 has approximately half the latency of the Roland Quad Capture, and cost approximately half as much.
11.9 msec round trip, 2.7 msec. @ 96k Hz.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1