Audio: XFi Gamer vs Delta44 vs PCR-A30 vs ???

Author
Tripecac
Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1702
2010/11/06 14:18:54 (permalink)

Audio: XFi Gamer vs Delta44 vs PCR-A30 vs ???

My DAW (2.8 GHz Pentium 4 from 2004) has an M-Audio Delta44, which in Sonar 8.5 gives me a minimum latency (with 2 buffers) of 5.8ms. 

My main PC (Core 2 Duo E6600 from 2007) has a Creative Labs XFi Gamer, which gives a min latency of 10ms (with WMD; ASIO has crackle at 10ms and lower).

I also have an Edirol PCR-A30 USB MIDI controller/audio interface.  When I use it on my main PC, I get a min latency of 3ms.  This implies it's the fastest, but it's also the least convenient to use, since it's external and I have no room to leave it plugged in all the time (with its own headphones).

I'm thinking about using the main pc for music-making (focusing on soft synths), but am wondering which audio interface to use with it.

The XFi Gamer (from 2007) is, according to my tests, the worst in terms of latency.  If I replace that with a more modern Creative Labs sound card (something with more connections and maybe even MIDI), is that likely to have better latency?  Does anyone have any specs pertaining to Creative Labs latency?

Or is Creative Labs a dead end in terms of Sonar?  I know in the past everyone's advised against it, and on my DAW I'm perfectly happy with my Delta44, but I would love to have a game-friendly sound card that can also handle Sonar pretty well, so that I can have two potential DAWs and not just one.

Or, if I get my main PC upgraded with a better CPU, would it make sense to install my Delta44 there, along side the XFi Gamer?  Can two sound cards happily coexist like that?

What do you suggest?
post edited by Tripecac - 2010/11/06 16:20:48

tripecac.com
Sonar Platinum + Komplete 9
Win7 SP1 64bit, Intel i7 950 3.07GHz, 12 GB RAM, M-Audio Delta44 (for Sonar), ASUS Xonar DX (for everything else), Nvidia GTX970, 2xSSD, 3xSATA

2 Replies Related Threads

ohgrant
    Max Output Level: -35.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3966
    Re:Audio: XFi Gamer vs Delta44 vs PCR-A30 vs ??? 2010/11/07 21:04:08 (permalink)
     Not the X Fi for sure, great for gaming not so good for recording, I had to part with my X fi a while back. Didn't you say you also have a WaveCenter PCI in the other thread, I believe that is also an audio interface and might be your best choice for PCI if the Delta 44 doesn't have MIDI. If not the Edirol I think. Having 2 soundcards can lead to IRQ conflicts on some systems, I would not install both of those cards in that new system unless you have to. JMO

Me

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Audio: XFi Gamer vs Delta44 vs PCR-A30 vs ??? 2010/11/08 07:09:09 (permalink)
    I had an Xfi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion card installed and the ASIO in the SoundBlaster was interferring with the other ASIO devices I had such as my Focustrite Saffire Pro 40 audio interface.  Everytime I started Sonar it would default to the SoundBlaster for the ASIO latency and I would have to manually change it back to the Saffire Pro 40.  Even if I closed a project and opened a different project I would have to manually reset the ASIO Latency device.  The Xfi Fatl1ty card is a nice card but I had enough and put my older HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card back in (not ASIO).  It eliminated the Sonar ASIO problem but still provided a good PC audio sound card.  

I only use the Saffire Pro 40 for recording I/O - I don't use the PC's sound card for Sonar.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1