Audio driver bit depth Help

Author
Sonar3.1 user
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2005/12/08 15:04:53 (permalink)

Audio driver bit depth Help

I need some advice about how to get my sonar3.1 Producer ed. to work at 24bit. I have a new Dell 9100 with a soundblaster live 24bit and just got a EMU 1212m card as well. I can never seem to be able to change the audio driver bit depth to 24. When I do, it say one or more of the sound cards if incompatibile and it changes it to the recommended 16bit setting. What am I doing wrong??? I'ved tried to switch to ASIO, but it also seems to want to use 16bit whether in WDM or ASIO. Thanks.

Rich

3 Replies Related Threads

Hawky
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 530
    RE: Audio driver bit depth Help 2005/12/08 15:44:09 (permalink)
    Try to disable the onboard soundcard, whatever that may be, in Device Manager>Restart computer and redo wave profiler.

Good Luck,

Hawky
    juca
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Audio driver bit depth Help 2005/12/08 16:25:15 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Hawky
    Try to disable the onboard soundcard, whatever that may be, in Device Manager>Restart computer and redo wave profiler.
    Good Luck,
    Hawky

Hi:
    Additionally to this good advice, you can to try leave enabled only one of the two which you have, run the waveprofiler, set it for 24 bits and verify if it accept this setting. After this, disable it, enable the other soundcard and re-run the waveprofiler, set it for 24 bits and verify if it accept this setting.
    So, if both accept 24 bits you can to use it both (not under ASIO, only under WDM). If only one accept 24 bits, still using only that card.
    Greetings.

****** Juca Nascimento ******
    Keyboards/Composer/Arranger

sonar@roque.net
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Audio driver bit depth Help 2005/12/08 23:33:13 (permalink)
    Hi. Perhaps I'm missing something but as far as I know the 1212m card only supports >16 bit and >44.1Khz when running ASIO. I called Emu on that and they said WDM sucked and I should switch to ASIO. I can't print here what I told them but lets just say there were more than a few 4 letter words in my reaction.

Emu dropped the ball with their new cards, as far as I'm concerned. I wanted to replace a rack of Emu gear with their PCI card which, judging by their marketing bluff, I could have. Have you seen their applications? It's a joke. You need to read the manual several times to figure out how to get any sound out of it. Their apps don't conform to Windows standards so there are no menus or icons... only tiny buttons with no labels. You have to guess and memorize what is it that they do. They use what it seems like a 4 pt font on their forms that I can barely read. When you're working late into the night, this does not help. Let me stop here and not take your thread down a tangent.

Later,
    JR
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1