Audio driver error (Sonar 8)

Author
yuki
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2009/01/06 18:42:18 (permalink)

Audio driver error (Sonar 8)

every time I click on the sonar 8 application, I keep on getting this message.

"The following driver(s) either do not support the current audio format, or are in use
by another program.

Please choose whether you want to disable them or use them anyways"

1/2
3/4

I have no idea what to do.
Help please?

14 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/06 19:07:46 (permalink)
    whats your sound card??
    did you follow the manual on how to set up a sound card in sonar?
    does your sound card support all sample rates??
    The error is what it is. Its telling you you do not have your sound card set up correctly.
    Have you downloaded any drivers for you sound card??
    what driver mode?
    Sample rate?
    Project sample rate?
    Read the section on getting started to help you configure your card
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    yuki
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/06 19:45:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

whats your sound card??
    did you follow the manual on how to set up a sound card in sonar?
    does your sound card support all sample rates??
    The error is what it is. Its telling you you do not have your sound card set up correctly.
    Have you downloaded any drivers for you sound card??
    what driver mode?
    Sample rate?
    Project sample rate?
    Read the section on getting started to help you configure your card
    Cj

umm, Im a newb still to computer related stuff.
    I dunno if I have a sound card, if it is something built into the computer, or something I have to buy or what not.
    can you give me a detailed description on that please?
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/06 20:32:54 (permalink)
    Yuki,

There are help topics for beginners in the sonar online help system. Reading these should tell you many things you need to know to use this product.

--kwgm
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/06 20:59:18 (permalink)
    "The following driver(s) either do not support the current audio format, or are in use
    by another program.

Yes, you do have a "sound card", although it's probably not an actual card at all but rather a single chip on your motherboard, referred to as an "integrated sound card" (meaning it's built in to the motherboard).

Many of those types of audio interfaces (synonym for "sound card") have limited functionality, and are sometimes incapable of recording at higher quality settings.

Tell SONAR to use them anyway, even though it's telling you they're unusable. Then go into Options -> Audio and choose MME as your driver. This should get you up and running.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    yuki
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/06 21:08:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bitflipper

by another program.

Yes, you do have a "sound card", although it's probably not an actual card at all but rather a single chip on your motherboard, referred to as an "integrated sound card" (meaning it's built in to the motherboard).

Many of those types of audio interfaces (synonym for "sound card") have limited functionality, and are sometimes incapable of recording at higher quality settings.

Tell SONAR to use them anyway, even though it's telling you they're unusable. Then go into Options -> Audio and choose MME as your driver. This should get you up and running.

thanks. I did all of what you said, however, I cant find anything "MME" in the driver section.
    Sonar Bug
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/06 23:52:27 (permalink)
    I feel sorry. But this part of code tasted really GREAT.

ORIGINAL: yuki

every time I click on the sonar 8 application, I keep on getting this message.

by another program.

Please choose whether you want to disable them or use them anyways"

1/2
    3/4

I have no idea what to do.
    Help please?

I feel sorry. But this part of code tasted really GREAT.

No more bugfixes!! DEFEND BUG RIGHTS ! Fellow bugs, join the RESISTANCE!!
    i8ipop
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 568
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/06 23:56:18 (permalink)
    click on the advanced tab once you go thru Options>Audio and you'll find the option to change drivers

Still raining...still dreaming!
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/07 00:09:54 (permalink)
    thanks. I did all of what you said, however, I cant find anything "MME" in the driver section.

Options-Audio-Advanced-Driver Mode

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/07 07:52:15 (permalink)
    dunno if I have a sound card, if it is something built into the computer, or something I have to buy or what not.

In order for us to help, or for me to help. you need a basic understanding of what you have. Read the getting started section in the manual. It explains the basics. Then post back with your settings
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    yuki
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/07 21:17:46 (permalink)
    well, I read the basics on my booklet.
    Didn't get much information, except to check the midi device if I am not getting sound, and when I did, the section was blank.

And as for audio drivers. Isnt MME meant for a microphone?

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/07 22:10:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bitflipper
    This should get you up and running.

HA! That's a little optimistic.

@yuki: please give us your system specs. What kind of computer, what kind of peripherals, other software, etc. Most people don't come to own a pro-sequencer like SONAR without at least knowing some basics about digital audio and audio interfaces. We're going to have to backfill your knowledge and in order to do that you're going to have to learn-up on a bunch of things.

Most people don't run SONAR without a dedicated audio interface of some kind, using integrated soundcard tech is asking for trouble, and really not setting yourself up for success. If you didn't separately purchase some kind of audio interface (internal or external), I'm just prepping you for the fact that you're going to want to.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/07 22:48:24 (permalink)
    And as for audio drivers. Isnt MME meant for a microphone?

No. Its an older driver mode... Microsoft Multimedia Extensions. You need to read the Getting Started Guide.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/08 07:37:38 (permalink)
    You need to read the Getting Started Guide.

and then go on to the other chapters

well, I read the basics on my booklet.
    Didn't get much information, except to check the midi device if I am not getting sound, and when I did, the section was blank.

do you have an actual midi device with ins and outs?? Probably not.. Read the getting started section, like Daveny said. Read it 5 times over until you get a grasp at the basics and then move onto the other chapters. you need to know what you have first., before jumping into recording with a pc and sonar. Its a steep learning curve and your just getting started .yuoll need to put in allot of work on your own to get up to speed. I would buy Scott's soanr power book also and due the tutorials over and over until you understand.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: Audio driver error (Sonar 8) 2009/01/08 11:27:19 (permalink)
    In addition to the booklet you have a full manual with tutorials on your SONAR DVD. At tweakheadz.com you get info on what is a soundcard, VST, sampler etc. etc.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1