Audio interface cracks and pops

Author
redinkmars
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2017/12/23 21:23:55 (permalink)

Audio interface cracks and pops

Hi there,

I've recently bought and set up a home studio with a pair of Yamaha's HS8, Novation Audiohub 2x4 and Rean connectors.
At first I was experiencing constant cracks, pops and slowed audio playback.
I researched the internet thoroughly and found similar issues but not with this Audiohub in particular, but with other interface brands as well (e.g. Focusrite, to which Novation is the same inside, yeah).
I mingled with the Windows 10 options and settings in accordance to what I researched on the internet about this problem, and I finally made it go away when I connected my Audiohub to a 3.0 port on my motherboard which was weird to say the least.
Now, I'm having other issues. For instance, whenever I restart my PC, get back into Windows and start playing something, I only hear some absolutely horrible high-pitched noise through my monitors and it doesn't go away until I either switch between audio sources (within windows playback devices) or I switch through the Audiohub's driver presets regarding latency/bitrate.
Second issue is that after a little while the Audiohub gets disconnected from Windows and I get an error something like ''stopped working, malfunctioned, bla bla''. I need to unplug and plub back in the interface USB. And yes, the Power management for the USB hubs are not set to power savings.
3rd and last issue is that with all good and dandy, I still hear some subtle cracks and pops from time to time during music playback, and it makes me think this Audiohub is the issue again.

I still have a few days if I am to return this interface, so please, anyone with some helpful insight on this, I would immensely appreciate any help in fixing this.
Otherwise, please recommend me something within similar budget if I am to have absolutely no luck with Novation.

I'm on the AMD platform, by the way.

I'll be around to help with further info if need be.

Thank you

10 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Audio interface cracks and pops 2017/12/23 22:07:54 (permalink)
    Go throw this list: http://www.azslow.com/index.php/topic,395.0.html
    Especially check in the Windows power profile there is no USB power saving and latencymon never cross 1ms border.
    Check ASIO buffer settings, note that with interfaces in that price category sizes under 128 are usually "no go". But you should get stable performance with 256, if there is no problems with the system, options, drivers and connections.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    redinkmars
    Re: Audio interface cracks and pops 2017/12/23 22:36:07 (permalink)
    I turned USB power saving to OFF, and verified that individually in Device Manager too. As far as latency goes, I got DPC yesterday to check it and it's sitting at 550-650.
    How can I access my ASIO buffer settings? My Audiohub driver only installed me a small single page Control Panel which lets me choose between Recording, Balanced and Mixing; and I've had these problems with all 3, even though Recording claims to have the lowest latency profile. Latency within DPC remains the same when I shuffle through these 3.

Thanks for the link by the way!
    azslow3
    Re: Audio interface cracks and pops 2017/12/24 10:08:22 (permalink)
    Are you using ASIO mode in Sonar? In this case Sonar shows which buffer size is use and latency.
    Have you tried DPC just alone or with Sonar running usual project playback?
    In Sonar, set performance monitor into "system performance". Check it is not showing CPU cores load over 50%. If you see spikes, in windows monitor check current CPU frequency and what consumes the CPU.

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    redinkmars
    Re: Audio interface cracks and pops 2017/12/24 11:33:29 (permalink)
    As far as ASIO goes, I installed ASIO4All and checked there. It's sitting at 44.1-96kHz, 32Bits, 512 Samples.
    My Novation driver only gives me 3 of their presets and I can't change anything else there individually.
    I don't have Sonar.
    By the way, what would cause the interface to just disconnect itself every 1-2hours? Windows says it's malfunctioning and whatnot, and I have to replug the USB cable.
    rsinger
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 387
    Re: Audio interface cracks and pops 2017/12/24 18:20:15 (permalink)
    You should use the ASIO drivers for your device from Novation.

Sonar Platinum, 64 bit, win 7 pro - 64 bit 
    Core i7 3770k 3.5 Ghz, 16 Gb Ram, 480Gb + 256Gb SSDs, 1 Tb Velociraptor, Echo AudioFire4

redinkmars
    Re: Audio interface cracks and pops 2017/12/24 19:50:04 (permalink)
    Just found out that the Audient ID4 is probably what I'm looking for since there are so many positive reviews especially from people who previously tried focusrite/novation and had a hard time with cracks/pops/driver issues all around. This one just seems to work as it's meant to, and seems to have a high reputation of solid drivers.

Thinking about trying it out.
    Anyone have any other recommendations in a $200 budget?

Thank you.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Audio interface cracks and pops 2017/12/24 23:02:06 (permalink)
    Did you download and install the ?? driver from the support page? It is not clear that it is ASIO. If it is not then for sure you might want a better interface. It's certainly a weird device looking more like it's made for a DJ with nothing but RCA inputs. 
    And the Scarlett 2i4 is the same price and certainly has proper ASIO drivers, Not sure where you read that it didn't. 100's of Sonar users use Focusrite, Tascam, Presonus and Steinberg interfaces, All have models under $200 all come with good drivers. Go to Sweetwaters Audio interface page and look. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

redinkmars
    Re: Audio interface cracks and pops 2017/12/25 00:37:08 (permalink)
    I did, and it consists of only a small control panel that controls the buffer/latency only through 3 available presets, none of which resolve my issues. There's nothing else.
    I just read from certain reviews/forums where focusrite and presonus were mentioned to have driver issues; of course, these problems are not experienced by the vast majority as there are too many factors in mind (amd/intel, interferences, whatnot).
    I did read on sweetwater quite a lot and found out that the Audient are quite above focusrite and others in that price range, both hardware and software; and there are also reviews on the ID4 where people mentioned having driver crashes with focusrite but none with the Audient (hence my gut telling me this would be what I'm looking for?)

Also heard that Audient gives a more natural detailed sound compared to focusrites where it's a tad colored.

I don't know anymore, lol, but I can't find disappointed people with the ID4...so I guess they're both viable choices?
    azslow3
    Re: Audio interface cracks and pops 2017/12/25 11:59:20 (permalink)
    Scarlett 2i2 is probably most popular audio interface, so the number of users with negative experience is also high.

Audient has much lower user base, at least in Windows world, and it looks like they invest a lot in marketing strategy "we are the best" (Apple style). You can be happy with it, or not. As with any other interface. There are people reporting troubles with RME drivers (most stable windows solution). So someone will always complain (for audient, f.e. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1160128-audient-id22-driver-problem.html )

Quality is subjective. Most interfaces over $100 have good sound characteristics. Someone will always come to say "but Audient is superior..." or tascam... or zoom... and for sure it does not take long till someone mention "yes, but the difference is almost nothing... till you can get MOTU, RME or (insert other top prices company name here), that is a different level".

Coming to the earth.
    a) If ANY interface disconnects after a while, the unit/the cable/the usb port/the power supply is faulty. Replacing faulty component will help, replacing anything else not.
    b) if you can not get stable operation with 512 samples buffer size, apart from problems in (a), something can be wrong with other device/driver.
    c) ASIO4ALL is a good program in some special situations. But under some conditions, just having it installed can produce cracks and pops (and uninstalling it will not get rid of them).

And finally... if you do not have Sonar, with which program you experience your problems? Note, that is Cakewalk forum...

redinkmars
    Re: Audio interface cracks and pops 2017/12/25 13:13:39 (permalink)
    Thank you for the insight. I'll take that into account.
    I haven't tried any software yet as I find no point in it since my interface craps out during basic music playback...

I'll research further.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1