Audio interface edirol fa-66 or.........

Author
bennisixx
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 137
2007/11/18 23:50:12 (permalink)

Audio interface edirol fa-66 or.........

here's the deal.............I know firewire is much better than usb for audio interfaces, I tried the e-mu 0404 usb,dont get me wrong, I love e-mu, but it sucked, driver conflicts and all, my sound blaster audigy worked better.. well now..

question 1- which should I consider?I'm Looking @ the edirol fa-66, presonus fire box, or m audio
now i am leaning twoards edirol but if anyone has words of wisdom please help, if you can

question 2- if I am satisfied with direct x,vst, and so on, (instruments and FX) d with the little differences between conveniances
(like "multi level view" on the same track....is there any difference performance wise between sonar hs 6 xl and sonar studio or producer editions? not interested in nick nacks just soud quality i own hs 6xl and debate an upgrade @ the time.

question 3- the fa-66 IS the cakewalk power studio interface, why cant you get it thru cakewalk? not a big deal?
just a question

thanks to all ..............make some noise .................... benni sixx

12 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    RE: Audio interface edirol fa-66 or......... 2007/11/20 17:06:37 (permalink)
    The Edirol will offer the lowest round-trip latency of those three audio interfaces.
    If you'll be monitoring thru software EFX in realtime, that's important.
    Otherwise, any of the above will work well.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Audio interface edirol fa-66 or......... 2007/11/20 18:36:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry
    The Edirol will offer the lowest round-trip latency of those three audio interfaces.
    If you'll be monitoring thru software EFX in realtime, that's important.
    Otherwise, any of the above will work well.

Hi Jim,
    Not to go off topic, but it might be of some use to the OP:
    How's the round trip latency with the Focusrite Saffire line?
    Do you know, off-hand?

I have a Saffire, and I like it, but I'm curious to know how it stands up to some of the other similarly priced units.

Thanks,
    - zevo
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Audio interface edirol fa-66 or......... 2007/11/20 21:20:58 (permalink)
    I just got an Edirol-66 about 3 weeks ago on e-bay.... so far so good...Latency on my system can get as low as 1.9 ms with a no load file. I'm using WDM drivers because switching latency with ASIO is a bit of a pain, It requires quitting Sonar and switching on and off the Edirol. WDM switching is instant and stable. The differences in latency between WDM and ASIO are pretty much a non issue @ .1 or .2 ms difference. I decided to use the midi on the edirol as well and it's been very stable as well....locking and syncing with audio. My Mb has a Texas Instruments fire wire chipset built in...so I'm not sure if there are any issues using any other chip set.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    Jim Roseberry
    RE: Audio interface edirol fa-66 or......... 2007/11/20 23:27:28 (permalink)
    Saffire works/sounds good... but suffers from higher round-trip latency.
    Again, if the OP isn't monitoring thru software EFX in realtime, then the Saffire would be another potential option.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Audio interface edirol fa-66 or......... 2007/11/21 08:20:08 (permalink)
    The FA66 in WDM mode is the way i go in vista and i get 2ms at the start of my project and gradually increase it as it grwos. Its a good little card and it lets you record instead of figiting around with settings all the time. Its very dependable
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Audio interface edirol fa-66 or......... 2007/11/21 09:07:23 (permalink)
    And I can say I use the FA-66 with ASIO for personal preferences, but fine as well. Firewire's a bit less stable than PCI in general, but the FA-66 is pretty rugged, never know it's there most of the time, which is a good thing IMO. And it has a very powerful, clean sound for such a little box. Roland Clean, I guess - they're good at clean. This will probably last me as long as Firewire will be around in PC's, probably moving down the line to laptop companion, whatever.

I got mine relatively cheap, and no way I'd sell it again easily. Next step up is considerably more expensive IMHO.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    inmazevo
    RE: Audio interface edirol fa-66 or......... 2007/11/21 15:26:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry
    Saffire works/sounds good... but suffers from higher round-trip latency.
    Again, if the OP isn't monitoring thru software EFX in realtime, then the Saffire would be another potential option.

Thanks, Jim.
    So let me clarify (and pardon my embarrassingly ignorant question):
    Round trip latency is primarily an issue when routing from external, to internal, and then software monitoring back out, correct?
    Meaning: once you've recorded your external hardware, or if you're primarily playing software synths, it's not round-trip anymore... it's just the latency one-way out of your machine to your monitors?

That's how I've always understood it, but want to clarify.

Thanks,
    - zevo
    Jim Roseberry
    RE: Audio interface edirol fa-66 or......... 2007/11/22 01:12:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: inmazevo

So let me clarify (and pardon my embarrassingly ignorant question):
    Round trip latency is primarily an issue when routing from external, to internal, and then software monitoring back out, correct?
    Meaning: once you've recorded your external hardware, or if you're primarily playing software synths, it's not round-trip anymore... it's just the latency one-way out of your machine to your monitors?

Yes.

If you're playing a soft-synth from a MIDI controller, you're only dealing with one-way (playback) latency.
    If your effective latency in Sonar is set to 1.5ms, you add the latency of the D/A and any additional safety buffer to determine your total playback latency. In this case, it would likely be ~2.5 to 3ms - depending on the audio interface.

If you're playing/monitoring in realtime thru a software effect (like Amplitube 2), you're dealing with two-way latency (both input and output). So... if your effective latency in Sonar is set to 1.5ms, you actually have 3ms of latency just from the ASIO (or WDM) buffers. Now factor in latency from the A/D and D/A converters... and any safety buffers to determine total round-trip latency. In this case, it would be ~5 to 12ms - depending on the audio interface.

In the first scenario, most any decent audio interface will suffice.
    In the 2nd scenario, chosing a unit with low round-trip latency is a must.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    inmazevo
    RE: Audio interface edirol fa-66 or......... 2007/11/22 04:16:16 (permalink)
    Thanks, Jim... good to know.
    I was pretty sure, but not positive.

Luckily, I'm off the workflow variety that basically never actually monitors round-trip.
    I used to... quite a bit, and it seemed so important to me at the time. I wanted everything, internal and external, to be playable "live" (if there is such a thing, where midi playback devices are concerned).

These days, I pretty much record external gear by metering, while monitoring entirely externally: soft synths to mixer... external gear to mixer... to monitors. Once finished, I'll turn off the external gear, and run the recorded tracks alongside the soft synths.

Seems to work pretty well, despite having ASIO reported latency of 4ms (for most tracks).
    Now, I understand why.

Take care,
    - zevo
    Rbh
    RE: Audio interface edirol fa-66 or......... 2007/11/22 19:05:59 (permalink)
    Over the last few days I've noticed that I need to to fully shut down and reboot to get the FA-66 to initiate after changing buffers in the ASIO panel. It can be a bit of an interuption in work flow. I have the ASIO panel available on my desktop....anyone know if changing from there instead of through Sonar might help out the situation ?..I do get marginally better Latency through ASIO but the interuptions make it a pain.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
     Win7 Pro

Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Audio interface edirol fa-66 or......... 2007/11/23 07:02:14 (permalink)
    No, if you change it, you need to reset the box.

Best is to use 1 general setting like 44.1/24bits to work with, and let Sonar convert during opening of the file.

Only solace/advantage is no lower quality files slipping in by mistake, which can happen with your average autoswitching card. Alternatively, get Voxengo R8brain free for sampling rate conversions, it's even slightly better at that than Sonar.

But after a while all your files should be in 1 format, so it hardly happens anymore. Drove me up the wall initially as well.

BTW if you get any crackling ever, resetting the box usually helps as well. Happens sometimes when I move stuff around on my 2nd monitor, there's some PCI leak somewhere.

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Rbh
    RE: Audio interface edirol fa-66 or......... 2007/11/23 11:04:33 (permalink)
    Thanks roflcopter,
    The issue isn't sample rate or bit depth changes. It's simply I have the buffers set to give me a latency of lets say 4.0 ms. then after adding a few plugs or another soft synth..all of a sudden i'm pushing my set-up a bit and need to increase buffers to up it to 6.0 ms latency to accomodate the extra load. When I go to close out sonar and reset the Fa-66..... I often re-load Sonar to find that my interface isn't available and have to completely shut down and re-boot in order to capture them. I wonder if there is a way to re-initiate the firewire port while the system is hot ? or something similar ?

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
     Win7 Pro

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1