Audio interface for beginner

Author
Jackster
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2010/11/23 11:26:12 (permalink)

Audio interface for beginner

Just starting out and after a bit of hardware advice.  I have a digital piano (Kawai CN33) that I wish to use to start making music.  I'm probably going to get the Sonar X1 Studio and use that as my DAW and software synth.  I'm also about to replace my old PC with a new one (probably i7 quad core).  My question is what other hardware do I need?  All I know from doing some research is that I'll need an audio interface.  Would probably prefer a PCI option but still open to a USB interface if that is the best solution for me.  The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 looks quite good.  Also what type of cables would I need to connect it all together and would I need any other hardware?  Also would the sound come out of my piano speakers or would they come out of the headphones or hi-fi speakers.  I have got a hi-fi amp (Audiolab 8000A - was good in it's day, but a bit old now) and some B & W speakers.  As you can probably tell from the questions I am just starting out.  Budget would be around £100 all in, but may be able to stretch a bit more if you think it will be worth it.  

18 Replies Related Threads

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/23 11:32:45 (permalink)
    i started with a 2496 card.

great card.

then i got a 192 card.

even better card.

the breakout cables have midi in/out, and 2 sets of analog in/outs, plus digi in/out.

i'd start by doing homework.

google a ton of stuff, to teach yourself about cables, connections, TRS, RCA, and you can price check on line.

audio stuff, that's decent, aint cheap.

the one lesson that seems to be common among all who take the journey, is that it's better to save your money up and get something worth getting, than to simply buy cheap, then turn around and try to sell it (for nothing) to get the thing you should have gotten to begin with!

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Sonico
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 266
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/23 12:16:36 (permalink)
    What do you want to record?
    Piano? Vocals? Some other instruments?

If recording vocals or some other acoustic instrument you'll need an interface with at least a pair of preamps or a separate preamp.

You need to answer that kind of questions first to know exactly what you need.

what do you want to record?
    how do you want to record?
    how many musicians will be recording at the same time?
    how you will be monitoring? headphones or speakers?

Once you figure out that, we can help you to make a good choice.

Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.60Ghz, 16 GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Laptop: Intel i5 2.3Ghz, 6GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    Presonus Faderport
    My Music
    Jackster
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/23 13:13:02 (permalink)
    Cheers guys

Sonico, I will mostly be using my digital piano and then adding a bass line, drums and maybe other instruments from the soft synth.  I will also be adding in the odd vocal and my friend may bring his electric guitar around for the odd jam.

Will be using speakers mainly for monitoring and headphones when it gets a bit late in the evening.

I guess I will probably need something like the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and a mixer.  Guess I'd better get saving!!!  Any suggestions on other audio interfaces and mixers.  Probably going to have to stretch to £200 or £250 now.
    Jackster
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/23 19:56:23 (permalink)
    After doing a bit more research I think the PreSonus Firestudio Mobile should suit my purpose.
    noldar12
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1075
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/23 23:10:24 (permalink)
    It sounds like you are going in a different direction - as you will be needing a couple mic pre's, but if you do end up going the card/mixer route, would suggest starting with the Audiophile 192 over the 2496 as the 192 has balanced outs, and the 2496 does not.

Jim
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/24 00:08:01 (permalink)
    I'd also take a look at the TC Konneck 6.  Great sound, nice remote vol control and the drivers work pretty good now.  See the SoS review and disregard anything you read about the bad drivers.  Excellent stereo in/out w/ one preamp.  Can't beat it for a sub $200 interface.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jackster
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/24 06:53:14 (permalink)
    Thanks, I'll check the TC Konneck 6 out.

Yes, noldar I think I'm going to go down the Audio Interface route rather than the soundcard/mixer route.  I think for my needs this would be the best solution 
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/24 13:25:38 (permalink)
    Jackster

Just starting out and after a bit of hardware advice.  I have a digital piano (Kawai CN33) that I wish to use to start making music.  I'm probably going to get the Sonar X1 Studio and use that as my DAW and software synth.  I'm also about to replace my old PC with a new one (probably i7 quad core).  My question is what other hardware do I need?  All I know from doing some research is that I'll need an audio interface.  Would probably prefer a PCI option but still open to a USB interface if that is the best solution for me.  The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 looks quite good.  Also what type of cables would I need to connect it all together and would I need any other hardware?  Also would the sound come out of my piano speakers or would they come out of the headphones or hi-fi speakers.  I have got a hi-fi amp (Audiolab 8000A - was good in it's day, but a bit old now) and some B & W speakers.  As you can probably tell from the questions I am just starting out.  Budget would be around £100 all in, but may be able to stretch a bit more if you think it will be worth it.  
    I have the M-Audio 2496 and think it's a terrific card for the money.   If all you're doing is using electronically generated sounds, as opposed to doing recordings with microphones, the 2496 should be sufficient for a while.

A lot of folks here would advise you to look to replace your B&W speakers with more neutral audio monitor speakers (note: I love B&W speakers, so I'm not putting them down).  If your immediate pursuits are just doing stuff with your digital piano, there's no hurry to replace your speakers, though.  If you get to the point where you're mixing various instruments, the accurate sound of monitors will become more critical.  Since we all know what a solo piano sounds like, the "flattering" sound of the B&Ws won't lead you to bad mixes.
    Jackster
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/24 14:42:28 (permalink)
    dmbaer, yes I will mainly be using a digital piano and soft synth instruments and samples through a DAW to generate electronic, atmospheric sounds.  I will also be adding a microphone though for vocals & to generate samples and at a later stage a guitar.  I would like to create all this into a final track.  I'd rather spend a little more to begin with rather than buy equipment that soon isn't up to the task.

I kind of decided that for my needs an external Audio Interface would be best.  The Focusrite Saffire Pro14 (or 6 USB), Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Mackie Onyx Blackjack & M-Audio Fast Track Ultra all seem have good write ups.  Would you recommend any of them?  Or would you think I'd be better off going down the soundcard/mixer route with say the  M-Audio 2496 and a Mackie or Behringer mixer?
    dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/24 18:42:13 (permalink)
    Jackster

I kind of decided that for my needs an external Audio Interface would be best.  The Focusrite Saffire Pro14 (or 6 USB), Presonus Firestudio Mobile, Mackie Onyx Blackjack & M-Audio Fast Track Ultra all seem have good write ups.  Would you recommend any of them?  Or would you think I'd be better off going down the soundcard/mixer route with say the  M-Audio 2496 and a Mackie or Behringer mixer?
    While I'm hardly an expert in the area of mixer's, I can't imagine why you'd need something external to your DAW (Sonar) to use in mixing, based on what you've described as your goals.  But others may have a more educated reply on this topic. 

On another subject, if you're going to be doing mic-ed input at some point, you're probably well off spending the extra cash up front to get the right kind of interface.  Focusrite seems to have a really good reputation, especially when it comes to the quality of mic pre-amps.  My own plans are to acquire a high-end dedicated computer for music sometime in the next 18 months.  I'm looking at a Focusrite interface, the one with the virtual room simulation, the Pro 24 DSP.  I have no need for the mic pre-amps, though, and the unit is otherwise a little pricy for my needs.  I'm hoping that by the time I need to buy an interface, they (Focusrite) will have put their virtual room tech. in a lower end unit.  But of you need the pre-amps, you might want to take a look.  The list price is $400, but there are rumors of an authorized dealer on e-bay who will sell you one for $300.

Jackster
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/25 05:23:09 (permalink)
    Thanks I'll check it out
    SubSample
    • Total Posts : 49
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/28 22:04:39 (permalink)
    I'm in the same boat as you.
    As been posted STUDY UP.
    But even then, when it comes down to the crunch setting up can be a case of trail and error as it turned out for me.

I think i am about one step ahead of you as where I have all my gear and finally have things set up.

I am currently using an Infrasonic Quartet PCI sound card as my audio out into my amp and though the speakers.
    Inputs are a 61 Key USB MIDI controller a Miditech i2Control 61 (M-Audio Radium copy) and an Alesis Multimix4 USB Mixer which I run my vox and guitar through.

After setting everything up properly (a long time later), it all works well.
    If you only have a desktop and do not plan on playing live, I would recommend the PCI solution.
    Other wise go for the USB one as you can also plug the device into a laptop and use the soft synths as well.
    Just make sure you have a laptop which is up to it.

Sonico
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 266
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/29 12:14:35 (permalink)
    The audiophile 24/96 and 192 are great cards, I used a 24/96 for a few years but what I recommend is an interface with a pair of preamps. As said before, Presonus, Focusrite, etc have good interfaces with very decent preamps, headphone amps, guitar and bass inputs, etc.
    I would get a usb interface to avoid the problems that firewire interfaces sometimes can give you.

Hope this help!!   

Desktop: Intel Core i7 3.60Ghz, 16 GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Laptop: Intel i5 2.3Ghz, 6GB Ram Windows 10 64bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    Presonus Faderport
    My Music
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/29 12:38:33 (permalink)
    Jackster...

You need to determine how many inputs you need to run live at the same time.  If you work in a project studio and do one or two tracks at a time, many low priced interfaces will work perfectly.

I have Music Creator which means I am limited by the software to 2 tracks max at a given time. Since I also never record a band, just me in the studio recording one track at a time, the rig I have works well for me.

I use a Saffire interface by Focusrite. 2 audio inputs, one midi input, 8 assignable outputs, headphones and some other stuff as well that I don't need or use. It has some pretty decent preamps built in and phantom power for condenser mics..... and enough assignable outputs to do what I need.  I love this interface and if it ever dies, I will be buying another Saffire/Focusrite product.

Look up Beagle and visit his web pages. He has taken the time to categorize a number of interfaces and it makes the comparisons and research a bit easier.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2010/11/29 12:39:54

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/29 13:31:01 (permalink)
    I need to update my website and especially the soundcard recommendations, but it's still usable.  check my website in my signature.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Jackster
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/30 06:04:48 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.  Think I'm going to go for the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 Firewire.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/11/30 08:36:59 (permalink)
    I think you will be totally satisfied with the Focusrite.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    dwnswee
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Audio interface for beginner 2010/12/04 01:48:58 (permalink)
    The real problem is for beginners. As a beginner, it is difficult to get clear answers about what they really need. You must be a month of research just to find out what you need to investigate. After a beginner to understand the functions they need, then had to investigate the extent, which led to second guess the features.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1