Helpful ReplyAudio interface recommendation SONAR X series

Author
msound
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2014/04/19 04:45:34 (permalink)

Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series

Hi I have an old M-Audio firewire 410 running with a beta driver in win 8 64 bit , but i am now tired of its working and not working , any one who can recommend a good quality audio interface for Sonar should it be USB or Firewire, i have thought about Presonus or Focusrite ? 

I`m  running Sonar X2A in Windows 8 pro 64 bit
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 06:30:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby msound 2014/05/18 03:05:53
I'm using a Roland Octa-Capture (USB) and no problems.  I also have an MAudio Fastrack Ultra 8R (USB) and it too works without problems.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 07:01:35 (permalink)
http://blog.cakewalk.com/daw-best-practices-how-to-pick-the-right-interface/

There are so many choices. But you should consider what you need.

IMHO, keeping your stuff in roughly the same league is a good idea. By this I mean don't spend all you money on your interface and none on your microphones.

You know when you add houses in Monopoly how you add them to the most expensive property first? Spreading money around your studio is kinda similar. As you take the next step up, try to spend close to the source. Spend on your room, spend on mics, pre-amps, interface etc in that order.

Plugins can only do so much with a bad input.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 07:32:00 (permalink)
I replaced my M-Audio Ozone with a Saffire PRO 24 DSP and have been thrilled with it. The feature that impressed me most is that it has ASIO aggregation (allowing multiple sources to access it at the same time), and the reason is doing that (by accident) with the Ozone would give Win7 a seizure. I have run 4 separate audio programs through it in ASIO mode "just for fun" and it had no issues whatsoever.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 08:40:10 (permalink)
Give the Impact Twin a look. It sounds and performs above it's price point.

Dave
Songs

jatoth
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 08:58:07 (permalink)
++ for Focusrite, Never had any issues with it.

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
Geo524
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 647
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 10:19:40 (permalink)
+100 for Focusrite. I love my Scarlett 18i20. It has been rock solid since the day I bought it.

Win 10 x 64; CbB; SPlat; MixCraft 8 Pro; AMD FX4130, 3.8 GHz; DDR3 32 GB Ram; Focusrite Scarlett 18i20; SSD 1TB, 2 x 1TB and 1 x 640 GB HDD; Mackie HR624 Monitors, KRK G2 Rockit 5's, Dual HP S2331 23" Monitors
Music and SFX 
http://www.radiosparx.com/georgeandmarguerite

mudgel
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12010
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 11:02:35 (permalink)
Tascam has some modestly priced units as well. Craig Anderton has been giving them a rap over recent months.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 12:39:50 (permalink)
I have Presonus StudioLive 24- the older version of mixer. It is very solid. I have never seen it not being recognized by any plugin, software, effect, Kontact, software synths- it always shows up. Sound? It is better than my older Phinic Helix FireWire interface. Also with Presonus, you will need to make sure you have supported FW interface. Same applies to any FW, but when I built my custom computer, I had Rosevelt FW card and it did not pass the Presonus test. Also that did not mean it would not work, but I ordered from the list on Presonus web site. I recommend Presonus.

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
msound
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 12:45:29 (permalink)
Hi and there has not been any problems with FireWire in win 8 pro , i am using recommeded Texas instrument pci express card
Living Room Rocker
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 675
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 13:10:33 (permalink)
I give my vote to Focusrite.  I had a PreSonus but gave it away after using the Focusrite, I thought it was that much better.  The Focusrite software was much more sophisticated, although I wish it had much more flexibility.  (It has (real) multiple mixes, but routing is lacking (and DSP application) compared to say the old EMU 1820 or RME).  Also, I think the pres in the Focusrite are much cleaner.

Kind regards,

Living Room Rocker

Kind regards, Living Room Rocker
AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 17:06:43 (permalink)
All the similar units priced in the same range will sound pretty much the same, so it is hard not to go with Roland (a lot of people bought them when Roland owned Cakewalk) and focusrite (which a lot of people here also used).  Since the sound is about the same, finding one that runs on your system w/ no problems is the main thing.  Pick yer poison and make sure it works w/o becoming a tech.  If you have problems, return and switch to the next on your list.  Saving $5-10 for a retailer that won't return is a bad deal.

I'm partial to TC Konnect, since I use the 48.  Superb sound, and the sound on the cheaper units is the same.  If the 6 fits your needs, it is a great deal.  However, it is FireWire only (as is the entire line).

You might want to go Tascam, since they should be making sure their units work w/ SONAR.  I'm hoping to get their new 7000 stereo unit in for a run, to see if the sound is better than the run of the mill integrated interface.  It is like several other units (RME babyface, the Audient), where the objective is sound quality and fewer channels and higher price to go with it.  They all cost $700 or so.

As others have mentioned, the externals matter.  Room, monitoring, mics, preamps can juice your sound cheaper than mere converters - those are all pretty good these days to my ears.  So figure what and how you want to record.  If stereo in suffices, you can go pretty cheap if need be and use the extra money for the above.  If you might want to record a band and need multiple inputs at once, that is different altogether.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 18:11:35 (permalink)
I always have to mention the Akai EIE Pro when I see these threads.
It's not the first thing that comes to mind, but is a very flexible unit. it has no software, other than the drivers. all controls are physical, on the face of the unit.
The original drivers were flaky, but it has been solid using current drivers.
I've had mine for about six months, and I love it.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 20:56:45 (permalink)
M-audio, Roland Capture series, Focusrite, RME, Tascam, and maybe a few others are all good choices. You just have to figure out what you want and how much your willing to spend. MOTU is another good choice.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 23:20:51 (permalink)
btw, shopping is an art. You don't usually have to pay full fare, but finding the right retailer who can help can be a challenge.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/19 23:26:09 (permalink)

A few things you might want to consider...

A lot of interfaces, including Roland's, don't have separate controls for monitors and phones, which may force you to reach out to your powered monitors (which may or may not be far away) to turn them off if want to listen just on phones.  I chose a cheap Mackie interface over Roland for this reason.

I thought ASIO aggregation was to allow you to have more than one ASIO interface running at once ?  I don't think a great many interfaces support this.

If latency is important to you, I'd ask around to determine which interface will give you the least amount.  I believe there is a connection between latency and price.

I'd go with RME if I had a choice (which I don't...)

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/20 00:15:23 (permalink)
My OC has a button that stops the signal from going to the monitors and allowing for headphones only.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
sycle1
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/20 02:48:38 (permalink)
Bought the Presonus 16 . 4 . 2 digital mixing desk because, it has 16 ins and outs with faders and many options and effects as well.
I can have a full eight channels for my TD30 kit, the rest for guitars and synths etc.
The channel preamps are not too shabby either.
Although I do tend to use a Focusrite Channel strip for a lot of tracks I still use the presonus for the rest.
Before this I had an old analog Soundcraft mixer and it was a bit unreliable and I was using 2 of the original MOTU 828 units they were rock solid until a spike took them out along with my scsi card and firewire card.
If I had to buy it all again I might buy Either Focusrite or Presonus depending on the features the new units have.
Everything in the computer industry changes so quickly its hard to keep up.
The Presonus for me, has been a great unit, rock solid and dependable.

Cheers
sycle1

There is no cure for stupidity, I should know!!!
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/20 02:49:35 (permalink)
There are a gazillion choices. Really, the best approach is to make a list of what YOU want from an interface, then look at spec sheets until you find the one that matches up the closest. For example, do you need 5-pin DIN MIDI I/O or not? That draws an instant dividing line if you do.

I did a lot of audio tests when I was reviewing interfaces for Harmony Central. They were generally in the same league. I have to say the Avid 3rd Gen MBox interfaces were very impressive in terms of specs, but even an interface like the Mackie Blackjack had extremely low noise and distortion. The biggest quality difference I found among interfaces was crosstalk.

As an example of what I mean about choosing an interface that suits your needs, I have separate requirements for the studio or taking something basic for my laptop on trips. For the latter, my prime requirements are small size, ruggedness (able to drop without freaking out), two XLRs with phantom power, 1M high Z input for guitar, SPDIF optical, USB 2.0, and preferably, some built-in DSP for things like reverb in the headphones. I don't need 5-pin DIN MIDI because I carry a little Korg USB keyboard. Quite a few interfaces fit those requirements, but I had a chance to check out the TASCAM US-366 because, well, Gibson owns them so all I had to do was ask .

Now, I'm not going to take a piece of gear with me just because it's one of the Gibson brands if it doesn't do the job, or if I can use something better. But as pointed out earlier the differences in interfaces these days tend to relate more to features than specs, and there were two TASCAM features that won me over.

First, there's a panel button that calls up the control panel and mixer applet. Admittedly, that's a tiny convenience feature but if I'm doing a seminar or presentation, anything that makes life easier is welcome.

Second - and this just goes to show how subjective interfaces are - the small size happens to fit perfectly in my suitcase between two internal "ribs," so there's built in protection against the "Atlanta Airport Luggage Modification Program." Even if the sound quality was only 90% of the other units, fitting in such a way as to provide protection from Delta's elite team of luggage sadists would make my decision for me.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
stxx
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 406
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/23 09:30:09 (permalink)
RME UFX!  Best and cleanest DA/AD, GREAT sounding headphone amp and totalmix is amazing with  built-in DSP for monitoring and you can record and capture tracks directly to USB drive.   Unit  and drivers are EXTYREMELY stable.   I had Focusrite Saffire 56 and that worked great.   One big diffefrence (for me) is that the RME line ins DO  NOT go through any  preamp circuit but focusrite does so if you hook up external preamps you are guaranteed to not get any additional coloration.   Its pricey but I should have spent the money in the first place! This is documented and true.   The differences are small  but they are noticeable.   

Sonar Platinum, RME UFX, UAD 2, Waves, Soundtoys, Fronteir Alphatrack, X-Touch as Contl Srfc,  , Console 1, Sweetwater Creation Station Quad Core Win 8.1, Mackie 824, KRK RP5, AKG 240 MKII, Samson C-Control, Sennheiser, Blue,  AKG, RODE,  UA, Grace, Focusrite, Audient, Midas, ART

Song Portfolio:
https://soundcloud.com/allen-lind/sets/oth-short
jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/23 15:29:12 (permalink)
Currently using an emu 1820m. Had the bloated capacitor problems this past week. Thought I was gonna add another audio interface to the display shelf.

But, the caps were easy to get and replace and all is happy, for now.

I did lots of looking for something small and "cheap" but not stupid. Got to the Focusrite because it had ADAT connections and I use an ADAT connected mixer.   What I was unhapp about with the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 is the limited outputs. Only 1 set of line outs.  2 head phone jacks.  Thought I would need to build a couple of adapters to change the impedance of the signal to use for outboard gear. 

Lots of thinking about connecting to the patch panels.

But for $250 for a new b-stock focusrite makes wanna get one for the portable computer.  The emu is pci card based and has 20 connected cables.   Got an emu 0404 usb that works ok. BUt the focusrite has 4 mic inputs,...  And for $250 still thinking about it.

And Focusrite does use routing software which I must have.

windows 8.1.1, using the beta 1616 drivers for the emu.
Mystic38
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1622
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/04/24 06:54:48 (permalink)
take a look at the MOTU 828mkIII hybrid. Its mid priced at around $750 and supports Firewire and USB

2 mic, 8 line, spdif and Toslink/ADAT (2) inputs.
Mains, 8 line, headphones (2), Spdif, Toslink /ADAT (2) outputs.

Where this excels is that it is also an 8 bus standalone mixer with compression and reverb. I have now removed all analog mixers from my environment

If you need more inputs you can add any ADAT interface via optical or any of the motu range.. ultralite, 828 or 898. The beauty of this setup is that all inputs and outputs become seamlessly integrated into the cuemix control software so that it appears as one unit.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
msound
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/05/18 03:12:42 (permalink)
Thank you for all the feedback
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/05/18 05:45:40 (permalink)
If your ins/outs are simple, the best uber quality focusrite interface bar none is the Forte... I've owned/tried the latest presonus stuff, had an 1820 and focusrite pro24dsp, and the Forte is several cuts above, state of the art, eats the RME on price point and sounds incredible.  RedNet mic pres and amazing direct instrument pres all for $400...

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
bz2838
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 366
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/05/18 08:14:50 (permalink)
RME Babyface!

Purrrfect Audio:  Intel i7 7700k (Kabylake), 32Gig DDR4/2133, Windows 10x64 Pro, USB RME Babyface, Sonar Platinum Current
Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Audio interface recommendation SONAR X series 2014/05/19 16:05:40 (permalink)
bz2838
RME Babyface!

If you need the extra ins/outs, the "babe" is worth the extra money . I serially considered it in my last upgrade but the focusrite Forte was much more elegant, brand new tech, sounded better to me and was far less money

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1