Audio to Midi

Author
dissfigured
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 147
2010/07/20 20:46:35 (permalink)

Audio to Midi

I have a crappy live recording of a band I was in many years ago.

I want to rebuild the drums from that audio recording into a session drummer 2 track. since it is live, and we didnt have a click track, the tempo is not consistent.

I imported the audio track, and tried manually adding the drums 1 by 1 along w/ the audio but this is going to take a lifetime and once I quantize the session drums, it will like screw it all up.

Any ideas on how I can recreate this drum track?

9 Replies Related Threads

ba_midi
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Audio to Midi 2010/07/20 20:50:22 (permalink)
    dissfigured

I have a crappy live recording of a band I was in many years ago.

I want to rebuild the drums from that audio recording into a session drummer 2 track. since it is live, and we didnt have a click track, the tempo is not consistent.

I imported the audio track, and tried manually adding the drums 1 by 1 along w/ the audio but this is going to take a lifetime and once I quantize the session drums, it will like screw it all up.

Any ideas on how I can recreate this drum track?

It helps a lot of posters post their version and system specs, so please help us help you with that info.

Look into AUDIOSNAP.  If you have a version of Sonar that is up to date, like 8.5.3, AudioSnap will facilitate doing what you want.

It's not a simple thing, and will take some effort - and it's subject to the quality of the recording.  But the Sonar Reference Guide will come in real handy in helping you work through it.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:Audio to Midi 2010/07/20 21:24:38 (permalink)
    Basically you highlight the audio drum track, turn on transients, adjust the threshold for the transients to align to the hits you want. Extract the Groove. Then hit the copy as midi button.

Insert the Session Drummer VST with associated midi track. Highlight the midi track and just use paste. All the transients are represented in the form of midi notes.

Next you will have to Ctrl click each snare hit/midi note until they are all selected then drag them up or down in the piano view until they are aligned to the snare sound. Do the same for each high hat, kick and other drums.

It's a bit of a chore but do-able.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    A1MixMan
    Max Output Level: -58 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1706
    Re:Audio to Midi 2010/07/20 22:18:29 (permalink)
    Have you looked at Drumagog?

Not sure that's what you're looking for.

http://www.drumagog.com/drumagog4_index.htm

Also, if you use Middleman's suggestion above, remember you can draw a box around all notes in a line and select them all at once.
    post edited by A1MixMan - 2010/07/20 22:20:25

A1
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Audio to Midi 2010/07/20 23:55:20 (permalink)
    They are assuming you have a multi-track recording. If all the instruments are together, you can't isolate the drums.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Middleman
    Re:Audio to Midi 2010/07/20 23:58:30 (permalink)
    A1MixMan

you can draw a box around all notes in a line and select them all at once.

The problem is that all the midi notes that represent transients get dropped on the same line. I wish there was a way to mark transients in a hierarchy fashion so that they would paste to different lines in the piano roll.

dissfigured
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 147
    Re:Audio to Midi 2010/07/21 21:28:01 (permalink)
    This is a stereo mixdown. a recording from a mic in our practice room years ago. I want to re record the song but I gotta do the drums using session drummer
    Middleman
    Re:Audio to Midi 2010/07/21 23:06:25 (permalink)
    Well if the mic was closer versus farther from the drums, you may have a chance but if guitars, bass and vocal are already there, you may have to build it by hand.

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Audio to Midi 2010/07/21 23:26:12 (permalink)
    What I do to supplement live drums with samples is this:

Take, say the bass drum track, and turn on Audio Snap.
    Go to your bass drum midi track and add one kick note, then copy that note.
    Turn doen the sensitivity on AS until just the kicks have markers, then you go to next mark and paste  the kick sample at that spot on the other track.

It will take a second to get around Sonar's were selection and pasting thing, but once you have it you can do a 4 minute track in a minute with no need to screw with the meter, ebb and flow of the track.
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    Re:Audio to Midi 2010/07/21 23:27:26 (permalink)
    dissfigured

This is a stereo mixdown. a recording from a mic in our practice room years ago. I want to re record the song but I gotta do the drums using session drummer

Yea, you cant just take out the drums in an already mixed stereo wave file. Its just like trying to take out and adjust the amount of flour in an already baked cake, because you put too much flour in it before baking it. It cant be done.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1