Audio track editing (new to Sonar)

Author
tomcontr
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2011/01/09 20:00:46 (permalink)

Audio track editing (new to Sonar)

Hi, Im a new user to Sonar, and Im having some problems when I try to edit an audio track. I just can figure out how to do it.
I came from the Adobe Audition world where you just doble click the track and you have an editing eviroment.
Is there anything similar here?  O how does this kind of procedures work in Sonar?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards
Tomas.

3 Replies Related Threads

Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Audio track editing (new to Sonar) 2011/01/09 21:14:18 (permalink)
    Sonar does things completely different. It only uses "non-destructive" editing for volume and panning. You should check out how to use "envelopes" to edit audio tracks. You can create a track/clip envelope and then add nodes (just like in the Adobe Audition Envelope/Panning Tools) to shape volume/gain and panning. The difference is that the changes aren't automatically applied to the audio. Instead, the envelope controls the playback of the audio without actually changing the audio. It's a pretty good system. It can do the same kinds of things you do in Audition and with Sonar you can always edit the envelope later if you want.

If you use an envelope to change the audio and want to make those changes permanent you can bounce it to another track. The new track will incorporate the edits and you'll still have the original track as a backup if you want.

Anyway, I suggest checking the help files and reading up on using envelopes. It's a pretty nifty system once you get used to it.

Also, if you really like Audition and still want to use it you can add it the tools menu and use it as an audio editor withing Sonar. For the 32 bit version, anyway. Don't know about 64 bit.
    tomcontr
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Audio track editing (new to Sonar) 2011/01/09 21:54:19 (permalink)
    Just the answare I was looking for, thanks a lot!!.
    I think this way of editing the files is much better, so I'll try to get use to it.

regards,
    T.
    Chappel
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Audio track editing (new to Sonar) 2011/01/09 22:40:50 (permalink)
    I think you'll like it once you get used to it. Here are a few tips.

You can create an envelope in a track by using automation or just right clicking the track and creating the envelope there. You can create envelopes for the track (volume/panning) or for the clip (gain/panning). It helps to maximize the track's size while editing envelopes. There is an Envelope Tool that is handy for editing nodes and envelopes. There is also an Envelope Draw Tool that is very handy for drawing volume/panning curves. Creating an envelope puts a horizontal line through the track/clip. You can Right click that line to add nodes and choose how the envelope responds to changes: Jump, Linear, Fast Curve and Slow Curve.

There's more to it, of course, but these are things I use on a regular basis.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1