Audio/MIDI routing questions

Author
auricle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 492
2010/02/11 14:40:58 (permalink)

Audio/MIDI routing questions

This is different to the earlier routing a bus to a track thread :)

1) Has Sonar 8 (or 8.5) managed to add any further flexibility in allowing a single MIDI input to be routed to multiple tracks? It's possible to do using a virtual MIDI cable but I wondered if it was possible to do this 'in the box' so to speak

2) Is it possible to have an audio track output to multiple outputs? I specifically need an audio track (with an audio input) to output to six different hardware outputs.

Any help would be appreciated.

4 Replies Related Threads

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:Audio/MIDI routing questions 2010/02/11 14:51:38 (permalink)
    No on 1), but Yes on 2) - Just add sends.
    auricle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 492
    Re:Audio/MIDI routing questions 2010/02/11 14:53:53 (permalink)
    Cheers, brundlefly.
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Audio/MIDI routing questions 2010/02/11 15:22:24 (permalink)
    auricle

1) Has Sonar 8 (or 8.5) managed to add any further flexibility in allowing a single MIDI input to be routed to multiple tracks? It's possible to do using a virtual MIDI cable but I wondered if it was possible to do this 'in the box' so to speak

2) Is it possible to have an audio track output to multiple outputs? I specifically need an audio track (with an audio input) to output to six different hardware outputs.

Hi auricle,

1. Yes, it is possible to route and have very complex or very simple but awfully effective MIDI routings, using MIDI-Yoke and MIDI-Ox (virtual Cables)..Sonar is completely functional and compatible as such.

2.  Audio routings are also possible, although I don't do that but on rather simple way, using VST-Host, a free VST, very powerful VST utility...It also does MIDI in some fashion similar to MIDI-Ox, and I use both MIDI-Yoke/Ox and VST-Host combined with SonarLE.

Your own trying is the answer, though.

Best of all.

SilkTone
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1566
    Re:Audio/MIDI routing questions 2010/02/11 16:06:07 (permalink)
    auricle

There are good news and bad news.

Good News:
    You can send MIDI to as many track inputs as you want if you use a VSTi that simply passes all input MIDI events out to its output. You insert this VSTi into any audio track's fx bin, then use one MIDI track where you set the input to your external source, and the output to go into the VSTi (also toggle the Echo button on this MIDI track to ON). Then you go to the synth rack, right-click on the VSTi and select "Enable MIDI output". The output of this VSTi then becomes available as a MIDI input to as many other tracks as you like.

Bad News:
    Due to a bug in Sonar, this won't work. See this website detailing the issue.

You can actually use the VSTi plugin that you can download from that site to give you the MIDI passthrough functionality as described above. Set the settings to:

Echo MIDI: Yes
    MIDI Delay: No
    Buffer MIDI: No
    Generate Notes: No

Yet another example where this bug in Sonar prevents us from doing basic MIDI routing...

Windows 10 Pro x64, SONAR Platinum 64-bit
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 USB, ASRock Z97 Pro4, Haswell 4790k @ 4.4GHz
    32GB DDR3/1600, 500GB SSD (OS) + 256 GB SSD + 3TB MD
    NVIDIA GTX-1070, 40" 4K Monitor + 1 Monitor in ISO booth
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1