AudioSnapping multitrack drums

Author
panup
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2538
2010/03/01 15:29:46 (permalink)

AudioSnapping multitrack drums

I'd like to hear your experiences of quantizing multitrack drums with 8.5.3 AudioSnap.

- How much manual work is needed? 
- How about phase coherency between close mics and ambience mics?
- Can you quantize whole song at a time or do you need to split it in smaller parts (Still out of memory problems?)
- Does it sound OK?

I'm talking about a 'normal' rock drumset that is recorded in a studio, including all close miced drums, snare bottom, kick inside & outside, hihat, near ambience, far ambience. Drums played with click and need of rhythm tightening is typically 0 - 25, max. 30 ms in medium tempo.

10 Replies Related Threads

BAF
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 23
    Re:AudioSnapping multitrack drums 2010/03/01 20:15:55 (permalink)
    That used to be quite easy and you could keep it in phase but I've spent hours and I don't think it can be done in 8.5.3
    Here's how you could do it in 8.5.2
    AUDIO SNAP 2 MULTI TRACK QUANTIZE
    DRUMS ( IN PHASE )
    1. Bounce all tracks to be quantized to a guide track.
    2. Enable Asnap on guide track only. ( Process / Audio snap palette )then click the power button
    3. Pick “show transients” (on guide track) and set threshold.( so all major hits are picked up) Note*
    4. Right click (guide track) and choose “Audio snap” / “add transients to pool“.
    5. Mute guide track ( leave asnap on ) but close the asnap window
    6. Highlight all drum tracks ( except guide track )
    7. Enable asnap pallet ( Process / Audio snap palette )then click the power button and choose “show transients”
    8. Set “ threshold “ to 100% (so no transients are picked up )
    9. Right click on any highlighted clip and choose “ split clips at asnap pool “
    10. Turn off Audio snap palette on multi track drums and guide track.
    11. Highlight all multi track drum clips. ( not guide track, you’re done with that)
    12. Choose “Process, Quantize “ set the duration, ( I was working on a straight rock beat so I used 8th ) pick “audio clip start times” only. Click OK (Listen & check everything)
    13. Bounce individual tracks to clips.

The problem is we no longer have a "split clips at audiosnap pool" comand and the "apply audiosnap transient markers" comand we now have is erratic. When you split multiple tracks some will split others won't so you have to go through and fix and fix and fix, I'm gonna try tomarrow one more time and I can't find a reasonable way to do this I'm going back 8.5.2 because I have alot of decent but not perfect drummers through here and I used to be able to deal with that pretty quickley.
    Kevinlane
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re:AudioSnapping multitrack drums 2010/03/01 23:20:14 (permalink)

The problem is we no longer have a "split clips at audiosnap pool"

Is this true?
    I was about to upgrade, but am in middle of a project so was holding off.
    The "better" AudioSnap and appegiator, where really the only two things I was interested . . . 
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re:AudioSnapping multitrack drums 2010/03/02 02:38:02 (permalink)

The problem is we no longer have a "split clips at audiosnap pool" comand and the "apply audiosnap transient markers" comand we now have is erratic. When you split multiple tracks some will split others won't so you have to go through and fix and fix and fix

I have not been able to reproduce this problem in 8.5.3. Applying one track's markers to 6 or 8 others and splitting them worked fine. As did using the Merge and Lock Markers function and then splitting, which essentially does the same thing if you have markers enabled only in the one track, and is probably the preferred method if you really want to ensure that no phase errors are introduced by any of your edits.

EDIT: I want to emphasize that I am not intending to address the OP with this, just pointing out that the tools seem to work as advertised for me. I haven't tried to snap live drum tracks with ambient mics, so I can't vouch for SONAR's claim of phase preservation. Based on what I've already heard of what Audiosnap does to sustained sounds, I wouldn't be optimistic that stretching a track with room ambience would give really good results. I guess that's why spltting at markers and moving/quantizing clips is preferred by many.

post edited by brundlefly - 2010/03/02 02:49:45
    BAF
    Re:AudioSnapping multitrack drums 2010/03/02 15:01:06 (permalink)
    Brundlefly is right about stretching multi mic drums, I've tried it and never had reasonable results. Thats why you have to split, quantize and cross fade which seems like it would be frought with problems also but on simple drum beat works very well and can be used on more complex stuff once you've got the hang of it.
    BAF
    Re:AudioSnapping multitrack drums 2010/03/02 16:42:38 (permalink)
    Ok so I figured out what I was doing that caused the problem.
    Here's how you quantize multi track drums in 8.5.3
    1. "bounce to Track" all your individual drum tracks I label it "drum Guide" Click on the drum guide track (turns black) then click the transient tool button. Look through the track to see that the major hits show transients but deactivate transient markers that aren't obviously important (usually setting threshold 75% is pretty close)
    Right click drum guide clip and select "add clip to pool" Leave audio snap on but close the audio snap window.
    2. Select all of the multi track drums (not the guide track) click on the transient tool button. the audio snap palette apears and should say "multi" set the treshold to 100% so no transients appear. Right click any of the selected clips and choose " apply transient pool markers" then click the "sisors" button (split beats into clips) your multi track drums should all split at the same points and at the same points as the guide track transients.
    3. Select that whole mess of clips and choose "process, quantize, pick "audio clip start times" only and choose Quarter or eight Click OK
    Listen & check everything
    Bounce individual tracks to clips.
    If you've done it right everything will be in phase, you don't have to quantize 100% you can make it sound just like a drum machine if you do. Most of the time 50-80% and quantizing the down beat (1,2,3,4) cleans up a decent players meter and makes it sound "rock solid"
    etienneg
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:AudioSnapping multitrack drums 2010/08/30 17:04:13 (permalink)
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums, but have been dabbling around with Cakewalk for some time now.

This is my first time working with multi-track live drums (8 tracks in all - Kick in/out, snare top/bottom, tom 1/2, oh l/r, room l/r). I've followed all the advice on these forums as well as in the reference guide, and it works. Thanks for that :)

My problem is this:
    When I 'split beats into clips', for some or other reason my .cwp file becomes huge. I'm talking an increase from 2mb to 200mb. (This is just the drum tracks, + reference guitar/vox.) This is not a .cwb and doesn't include the audio files, this is only the project file.  As a result, it slows down everything considerably, to such an extent that I can hardly even play it back to audition before rendering. And saving the project takes about 5 minutes.

Has anyone else come across this problem?
    I am assuming there is just some small setting somewhere that I missed. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

post edited by etienneg - 2010/08/30 17:07:20
    brundlefly
    Re:AudioSnapping multitrack drums 2010/08/30 18:57:24 (permalink)
    When I 'split beats into clips', for some or other reason my .cwp file becomes huge... ... As a result, it slows down everything considerably, to such an extent that I can hardly even play it back to audition before rendering. And saving the project takes about 5 minutes.

I think it's normal for the file size to increase radically. I'm not sure why save is so slow, though I see that as well. But basically each beat in each one-beat is a copy of the original clip that's been slip-edited down to a length of that one beat, and I suspect the transient info for every beat in the original clip is contained in each of the sub clips. So in additional to adding two slip-edit points for each beat in each of the tracks, you've just squared the number of transient markers that SONAR has to keep track of and save. This definitely drives the file size and save time, but I don't see any change in performance when I do this.

I think the bottom line is that this is kind of an unusual state to leave a project in. Once you've split the beats and quantized or otherwise adjusted the timing to your satisfaction, you should probably bounce them all back to one clip per track.

What do your CPU and Disk meters look like before and after splitting clips, and how powerful is your PC?

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:AudioSnapping multitrack drums 2010/08/30 19:13:04 (permalink)
    Split at pool is just in a different place. Select the transient tool and right click on the track you want to edit. Then it's in the fly out menu.
    etienneg
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:AudioSnapping multitrack drums 2010/09/19 06:45:59 (permalink)
    I think the bottom line is that this is kind of an unusual state to leave a project in. Once you've split the beats and quantized or otherwise adjusted the timing to your satisfaction, you should probably bounce them all back to one clip per track.
    Problem was, I couldn't even play it to audition and figure out if I was happy. I had to render/mixdown then listen, which kind of defeated the purpose, since the transient isn't always detected where I think it should be. I couldn't make any manual adjustments.

But, I have figured out how to get it working (on my system at least). For some or other reason, Audiosnap always leaves my machine very taxed (I assume it's memory, since disk and CPU meters aren't even over half). So after 'split beats into clips' and quantizing according to clip start times, I disable audiosnap again (since I'm not using audiosnap to stretch, it's not needed anymore.) This frees (is there such a word? :) up the resources I need to then listen to and make slight changes before rendering/mixdown.

By the way, I've since tried stretching drum tracks (as opposed to split, quantize, crossfade) and had pretty decent results. I find that the 'groove clip' setting actually works better for me than some of the more fancy ones (on drums at least).
    brundlefly
    Re:AudioSnapping multitrack drums 2010/09/19 10:48:45 (permalink)
    I disable audiosnap again (since I'm not using audiosnap to stretch, it's not needed anymore.) This frees (is there such a word? :) up the resources I need to then listen to and make slight changes before rendering/mixdown.

That's a good point; if you're only using AS to identify the slip points, there's no need to leave it enabled after splitting.

Incidentally, I've found that using Process > Audio > Remove Silence to split clips can give much more predictable results more quickly than trying to tweak all the missing and misplaced transient markers in AS. Basically, you're setting up a gate to find the spaces between transients, and then removing them. With all the gate parameters at your displosal, you can usually set it up to get exactly the splits you need, and since it's destructive you aren't dealing with all these slip-edited beats. Obviously, though, this means you probably want to operate on copies of the drum tracks, in case you get to a point that you can no longer undo your changes.

If you need to preserve phase relationships between tracks, you can't use this techniue to split clips because you need all the splits to be at the same place, but what you can do in that case is uncheck the Split Clips option, so that the spaces between transients are just gated to -INF, and then enable Audiosnap. With the sections between transients completely flattened, AS does a much better job of locating transient markers.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1