Auto Pan in Rapture 1 or DimensionPro?

Author
DaveDarkwell
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10
2014/04/17 17:03:21 (permalink)

Auto Pan in Rapture 1 or DimensionPro?

I have been using SampleTank and it had a great auto pan option that was easy to use but SampleTank won’t work in X3. I have been over all the other synths that come with X3. I can find an auto pan FX in  Rapture & Dimension  but it is set to off/disabled. Does anyone know how to get this to work or point me to some info on how to get it to work.  OR maybe in PSYN II or Z3TA as well….

Thanks!

7 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Auto Pan in Rapture 1 or DimensionPro? 2014/04/17 17:14:14 (permalink)
    After selecting an effect it is enabled. The "off" to the right of the effect name is a filter for some of the effects. To adjust the autopan use the LFO section further to the right.

There is a very nice autopan plug-in called Sonitus:Surround in the Audio FX DirectX section
    post edited by scook - 2014/04/17 17:19:21
    DaveDarkwell
    Re: Auto Pan in Rapture 1 or DimensionPro? 2014/04/17 17:23:36 (permalink)
    SWEET! I did have to Initialize program and then set it up again but YES it works now!

Thank you!
    ta7
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re: Auto Pan in Rapture 1 or DimensionPro? 2014/04/18 15:28:45 (permalink)
    Hi Dave,
    here is another tip about panning with z3ta+. http://forum.cakewalk.com/Question-about-Z3TA-m3021150.aspx 
    I found it very usefull.
    Instead of the the lfo you can chose, by the same synth settings, in the modulation matrix under source Random-B-Random.

B.r., Tomas
    DaveDarkwell
    Re: Auto Pan in Rapture 1 or DimensionPro? 2014/04/18 16:55:04 (permalink)
    ta7
    Hi Dave,
    here is another tip about panning with z3ta+.  
    I found it very usefull.
    Instead of the the lfo you can chose, by the same synth settings, in the modulation matrix under source Random-B-Random.

B.r., Tomas

THANKS!!!!

peace!
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: Auto Pan in Rapture 1 or DimensionPro? 2014/04/18 19:51:39 (permalink)
    There's another slick method for auto-panning in Rapture, using the often-overlooked Global section.

• Load any wavetable in Multisamples in an Element, or any preset from the Browser.
    • Click on the Global tab (next to E6).
    • Load an effect or two in the Global FX 1 - Global FX 2 slots.
    • Turn Status:On for Global Step Generator L & Global Step Generator R.

• Right-click over the steps in the Left Global StepGen and select Extract Shape From Sample File.
    • Pick a wavetable that suits your auto-panning vision [000 - sine.wav, for example].
    • Do the exact same thing for the Right Global StepGen.
    • Right-click again over the steps in the Right Global StepGen, and select Reverse Step Levels.

Now you can adjust the Steps, Sync/Freq, Smooth, and Depth on each 'side' of the Global Step Generators to customize the overall synth auto-pan.  This is over-and-above the auto-panning that can be set up per-Element using the Pan LFO sections.
    DaveDarkwell
    Re: Auto Pan in Rapture 1 or DimensionPro? 2014/04/18 21:38:09 (permalink)
    Thanks b rock! I will give that a go as well as any other auto pan options!

peace!
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: Auto Pan in Rapture 1 or DimensionPro? 2014/04/26 13:26:27 (permalink)
    Here's an auto-pan / stereo tremolo technique that I use for guitar through an Eventide PitchFactor.  Of course, that will create pans between scale-constrained harmonies.  [How to do that in Rapture / Dim Pro / z3ta+ 2 is something that I'll save for another day.]  But the basic premise is to have one distinct sound in each channel, and alternate between them with an upstream auto-panner.

Initialize Program.
    Load any wavetable into the E1 Multisample window [006 - triangle multi].

In the E1 AMP LFO:
    • Freq: 0.50
    • Sync: Off (dialed in, or left+right-click)
    • Depth: 6.00
    Mixer: E1 Pan to -100% (fully left)
    Limiter: On

Right-click on the lit E1 button up top, and Copy Element.
    Left-click on the E2 button up top, then right-click and Paste Element.
    Click in the E2 Multisample window, and change to another wavetable [013 - pulse mk].

In the E2 AMP LFO:
    • Click in the LFO waveform window for focus (right-click to get back to 0 - triangle).
    • Hold Shift, and tap your right-arrow key 18 times (or Shift+drag about half a cycle).
    Mixer: E2 Pan knob to 100% (fully right).

Now you have slow panning between two distinct timbres on the left & right.  We can emphasize the panning and adjust the rate with a few Modulation Matrix entries:

Click on the third icon of four [MIDI jack] to the left of the RAPTURE logo.
    • Source -> MIDI CC -> CC127
    • Destination -> LFO Depth -> Volume LFO Depth All
    • Depth: 6.0

Repeat the Mod Matrix line above in a second Matrix line to increase the LFO depths by another 6 dB.

• Source -> MIDI CC -> CC1 (Mod Wheel)
    • Destination -> LFO Freq -> Volume LFO Freq All
    • Depth: 10.0

Now the depth of the pseudo-panning is increased, and the Mod Wheel varys the rate; somewhat like the speed control over a Leslie rotating speaker.  An increase of Depth in LFO Freq All to 20.0 or 40.0 blends the two timbres into an FM-like 'third' timbre.  With this basic setup, an identical change of of the mirrored LFO waveforms in E1 & E2 can provide a variety of panning effects:

• 1 - Sine = a smoother pan transition.
    • 3 - Square = a hard-edged pan.
    • 5 - Pulse = a variety of rhythmic effects by Shift+dragging one of the Amp LFO waveforms.
    • Random Unipolar or Random Bipolar gives you unexpected but rhythmic timbre changes.
    • Use any two identical or distinct LFO waveforms to invent your own composite pan LFO.
    As with the technique using the Pitchfactor, you can mix down the outputs of Rapture / Dimension pro towards mono, but the timbral changes will remain.  In other words, the split to parallel happens in the synth or effect itself.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1