Auto-enabling Input Echo when arming a track not fully implemented (Confirmed by CW)

Author
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
2014/03/21 19:25:52 (permalink)

Auto-enabling Input Echo when arming a track not fully implemented (Confirmed by CW)

First, I think audio tracks also need the "Allow Recording without an Armed Track" option that MIDI tracks have (see post #8 of this thread for my view).

Because audio tracks don't have the option (and also the "Always Echo Current Track" option MIDI tracks have), you need one press of a key (R key) and two clicks (Arm button and Input Echo button) to start recording audio, if I'm not mistaken, while you only need a single press of a key (R key) in MIDI recording.

Fortunately, there's a way to enable both arming and input monitoring by a single click, according to the reference guide P.299, "SONAR makes it possible to automatically enable input monitoring when arming a track for recording. To do so, hold down the SHIFT key while you click on a track’s Arm button."

But no, it doesn't work, because even if you do it in the Track view, the Input Echo button in the Console view is still disabled. Although this report was submitted to development, I received a message saying, "The function does work when clicking the record arm button in the Track View. Functionality with the Console View will be logged with development." I'm not quite sure what this means (I cannot reply because the ticket was sent to development) because the reference guide doesn't specifically say the feature is for the Console view only, and I think most users use the Track view when recording.

[Steps to Reproduce the Issue]
1. Create a new project.
2. In the Track view, insert an audio track.
3. Hold down SHIFT and click the track's Arm button.

[Expected Result]
You hear whatever signal coming into the track, because the Input Echo button is automatically turned on.

[Actual Result]
You can't hear anything because the track's Input Echo button in the CONSOLE view is still "Off."

Issue #: CWBRN-24939
Reported on March 21, 2014
Confirmed and submitted to development on March 21, 2014 (with message "The function does work when clicking the record arm button in the Track View. Functionality with the Console View will be logged with development.")

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)

5 Replies Related Threads

Andy Feenix
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    How to record Session Drummer2? 2014/03/24 12:22:11 (permalink)
    Can anyone help me? Although I am familiar with recording "old style", I'm brand new to computer recording. I want to lay down a drum track and record over it. I have Sonar X2 Studio Edition and I'm trying to use Session Drummer2. I have found the kit I want and can hear the drums through my monitors. I have loaded Session Drummer2 with midi source and a synth track folder all synth outputs stereo. This basically gives me six drum tracks and one midi drum track in a synth track folder. When I play the drums, everything seems to come through on the first available drum track....the others are all flat. In addition, there seems to be nothing on the midi source track either. How can I use all available tracks and record using Session Drummer2? Oh my....This post doesn't seem to be in the proper place...I am sorry...can anyone help me to move it if it indeed should be moved?
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: How to record Session Drummer2? 2014/03/24 12:41:04 (permalink)
    Andy Feenix
    Can anyone help me? Although I am familiar with recording "old style", I'm brand new to computer recording. I want to lay down a drum track and record over it. I have Sonar X2 Studio Edition and I'm trying to use Session Drummer2. I have found the kit I want and can hear the drums through my monitors. I have loaded Session Drummer2 with midi source and a synth track folder all synth outputs stereo. This basically gives me six drum tracks and one midi drum track in a synth track folder. When I play the drums, everything seems to come through on the first available drum track....the others are all flat. In addition, there seems to be nothing on the midi source track either. How can I use all available tracks and record using Session Drummer2? Oh my....This post doesn't seem to be in the proper place...I am sorry...can anyone help me to move it if it indeed should be moved?

yes,
    first off, don't high jack this guys thread please.
    he started this for his own use.

heres your links for session drummer

first understand midi
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juIu9Rlt6v8

next session drummer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruAnAPR6-hQ&list=UUqmCCO0vMwnXCEsaQwnEnRA

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Splat
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: Auto-enabling Input Echo when arming a track not fully implemented (Confirmed by CW) 2014/04/02 17:03:10 (permalink)
    Jlien X
    First, I think audio tracks also need the "Allow Recording without an Armed Track" option that MIDI tracks have (see post #8 of this thread for my view).

Because audio tracks don't have the option (and also the "Always Echo Current Track" option MIDI tracks have), you need one press of a key (R key) and two clicks (Arm button and Input Echo button) to start recording audio, if I'm not mistaken, while you only need a single press of a key (R key) in MIDI recording.

Fortunately, there's a way to enable both arming and input monitoring by a single click, according to the reference guide P.299, "SONAR makes it possible to automatically enable input monitoring when arming a track for recording. To do so, hold down the SHIFT key while you click on a track’s Arm button."

But no, it doesn't work, because even if you do it in the Track view, the Input Echo button in the Console view is still disabled. Although this report was submitted to development, I received a message saying, "The function does work when clicking the record arm button in the Track View. Functionality with the Console View will be logged with development." I'm not quite sure what this means (I cannot reply because the ticket was sent to development) because the reference guide doesn't specifically say the feature is for the Console view only, and I think most users use the Track view when recording.

[Steps to Reproduce the Issue]
    1. Create a new project.
    2. In the Track view, insert an audio track.
    3. Hold down SHIFT and click the track's Arm button.

[Expected Result]
    You hear whatever signal coming into the track, because the Input Echo button is automatically turned on.

[Actual Result]
    You can't hear anything because the track's Input Echo button in the CONSOLE view is still "Off."

Issue #: CWBRN-24939
    Reported on March 21, 2014
    Confirmed and submitted to development on March 21, 2014 (with message "The function does work when clicking the record arm button in the Track View. Functionality with the Console View will be logged with development.")

I can't reproduce 3. I get the expected result with X3E. Cheers...

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    brundlefly
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Auto-enabling Input Echo when arming a track not fully implemented (Confirmed by CW) 2014/04/02 18:53:50 (permalink)
    CakeAlexS

I can't reproduce 3. I get the expected result with X3E. Cheers...

You may have missed this:

"But no, it doesn't work, because even if you do it in the Track view, the Input Echo button in the Console view is still disabled."

The problem is that the Echo button in the track will light up, but the track won't actually be echoing the input signal audibly; the underlying function isn't being enabled. The console button not being lit is a side-effect of this, I think. Also, I noticed that the track Echo button becomes unresponsive, and you have to click the console Echo button to get them back in sync. Interestingly, they'll both be disabled at that point.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Splat
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: Auto-enabling Input Echo when arming a track not fully implemented (Confirmed by CW) 2014/04/10 16:19:05 (permalink)
    OK sorry, can reproduce X3E.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1