Automatic Mixing Software

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dr.hash
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
2010/08/04 19:27:20 (permalink)

Automatic Mixing Software

I've just posted a link in another chat but i think we all must read this. (please see musicresearch link below)  This article says there is a dude working on automatic mixing software.  WE MUST STOP THIS AT ALL COSTS!!!!  Sequencer software, unfortunately such as even the great Sonar have democratized music to the point ever nerd wanting a girlfriend and a bit of the wink, wink nudge, nudge think they can make music.  This is wrong, wrong, wrong.  Every nerd wanting a girlfriend and is bit of loser goes to audio school to learn the lost secrets of audio production.  As i have said this is wrong too.  Christ save us all.  Music production, mixing, mastering, engineering and songwriting.  Is a) something your born with, so a little talent and b) 10 years of hard work in learning the formulas and learning the masters.  Please we must stop this software.  I'm fighting the war for the children and you.
http://www.musicresearch.com/blog/?tag=digital-audio

Viva la Revolution
Sonar Forever, Pro Tools Never
Ben B.C.T (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)
http://www.myspace.com/audiomystics
post edited by dr.hash - 2010/08/04 19:29:13

44 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/04 20:03:58 (permalink)
    lol.. someone has been on the fire water ;)

as following your logic you should be using reel to reel or 4 track tapes etc ;)
    and samplers are bad ;)

good job they aren't... as I don't play traditional instruments

Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/04 20:04:13 (permalink)

Bach would be puking his guts if he only heard what we call real music today, and I'm not sure he'd make much difference between the Beatles or a 16 years old messing w/ loops and garageband on his new iMac. 

So whether it's loops and samplers or synths or electric guitars, the debate is always the same, and I guess we pretty much all draw the line below ourselves and our tastes when it comes to what is acceptable. 

But if the aforementioned Bach was to be declared the standard, not too many people around here - or anywhere - would be making music...

Oddly enough, in primitive tribes where it's normal for basically everyone to make music and dance and sing - and not a priviledge or a way to make yourself special - music retains its power, it still has a meaning, a goal...)

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/04 20:09:57 (permalink)
    Yeah, who wants the great unwashed making music? It needs to be left up to the greatly educated and skilled like us.
    ba_midi
    • Total Posts : 14061
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/04 21:24:44 (permalink)
    dr.hash

I've just posted a link in another chat but i think we all must read this. (please see musicresearch link below)  This article says there is a dude working on automatic mixing software.  WE MUST STOP THIS AT ALL COSTS!!!!  Sequencer software, unfortunately such as even the great Sonar have democratized music to the point ever nerd wanting a girlfriend and a bit of the wink, wink nudge, nudge think they can make music.  This is wrong, wrong, wrong.  Every nerd wanting a girlfriend and is bit of loser goes to audio school to learn the lost secrets of audio production.  As i have said this is wrong too.  Christ save us all.  Music production, mixing, mastering, engineering and songwriting.  Is a) something your born with, so a little talent and b) 10 years of hard work in learning the formulas and learning the masters.  Please we must stop this software.  I'm fighting the war for the children and you.

Viva la Revolution

1) PLEASE don't fight any wars for me.
    2) Please don't confuse "auto-mixing" software with human abilities to use such things.
    3) Please keep Christ to yourself - I'm not against people having their faith, but I think bringing it into music forums is inappropriate.
    4) Fight your own battles, not those of others.

Thank you.

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

http://www.ba-midi.com/music/files
    Music gives me life, so I give life Music.
    Thanks for listening - Let's Dance to the rhythm of life! :)
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/04 22:23:21 (permalink)
    ba_midi

3) Please keep Christ to yourself - I'm not against people having their faith, but I think bringing it into music forums is inappropriate.

Thank you.

It's an expression get over it.

dr.hash
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 03:20:32 (permalink)
    Rain

Bach would be puking his guts if he only heard what we call real music today, and I'm not sure he'd make much difference between the Beatles or a 16 years old messing w/ loops and garageband on his new iMac. 

So whether it's loops and samplers or synths or electric guitars, the debate is always the same, and I guess we pretty much all draw the line below ourselves and our tastes when it comes to what is acceptable. 

But if the aforementioned Bach was to be declared the standard, not too many people around here - or anywhere - would be making music...

Oddly enough, in primitive tribes where it's normal for basically everyone to make music and dance and sing - and not a priviledge or a way to make yourself special - music retains its power, it still has a meaning, a goal...)
    George Martin said that Beethoven would have loved to have written the Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds riff (Speculation), so i poo poo that first statement and if we strip away all the layers Lucy In The Sky is Bach and then as i said in another post everybody steals from everybody and it goes like this.
    Bach and Vivaldi are the beginnings of what we understand as the great European classical music cannon, Mozart borrows from those two and improves on that, along comes Beethoven and he steals from those three and then it progress again, finally we end up with The Beatles and further on Progressive Rock.  Pink Floyd Echoes and the glorious 9th symphony are in fact cousins.  This is only a brief summery if you want an essay i will do you one.
    Yes there should standards, it is ridiculous what we call music today and Bach would puke his guts up if he heard Lady Gaga.  we are no longer tribal and what we call tribal music, psy trance and the other rubbish that gets lumped into that genre a two year old could do.  Look i don't think you need to play an instrument but you should understand your instrument and in this case Sonar is the instrument.  I'm saying if you really want to be great and add to the sum of human knowledge with music or move somebody with a note you have to have skills.  It's taken me 10 years to understand these fundamentals and use the knowledge in a cohesive way.  nobody seams to have mentioned what they think of the idea of not having to mix but to allow a machine to mix for them.  This has to be dangerous.
    As for the other guy who says he doesn't want me to fight the war for and him and his children too bad I'm doing it and am continuing to do it. Christ!

Peace and Love
    Werent the last twenty years crap,
    lets make the next twent great"
    jamescollins
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 03:31:37 (permalink)
    Please stop talking!

I'll have three fingers of Glenlivet, with a little bit of pepper... and some cheese.

allthekingsmen.band
    jamescollinsmusic.com
    SilverfoxUK
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 257
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 04:20:28 (permalink)
    What we "must stop at all costs" is people like you and your tiresome rants.

Post this rubbish elsewhere in future.

X3 64bit (final update)
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Gigabyte SKT-1155 P67A-UD5 B3    
    Intel i5 2400 Sandybridge Quad core    
    6 GB Corsair RAM
    V-STUDIO 100 (Driver 1.50)
    M-AudioAxiom 49
    Korg PadKontrol
    BCF2000 

Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 06:06:47 (permalink)
    +1

And if you DO feel the need to post on here again, consider using paragraphs.

That last rant has made my brain bleed.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Chregg
    Max Output Level: -51.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2382
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 06:51:27 (permalink)
    Dr Hash you talk a lot of dogs mince !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Chregg
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 06:57:42 (permalink)
    Strewth ya dirty mungrol, a wouldn't give a castlemain xxxx for any thing else sheela (lol)
    fitzj
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1487
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 09:01:32 (permalink)
    I cannot imagine Flower of Scotland with a trance beat (whatever that is) Lets have another Castlemain. Do they still brew it. lol
    Chregg
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 09:17:03 (permalink)
    Castlemain, **** knows, probably do, **** the flower of scotland with a trance beat (lol) you would have to be really ****ing cheesy to do that (lol)
    ericyeoman
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 976
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 09:25:53 (permalink)
    flower of scotland with a trance beat (lol) you would have to be really ****ing cheesy to do that

So I just had to go and google that:

http://www.guitarsolos.co...-%5BsfNzaYRrTHA%5D.cfm

CuBase, Ableton, Steinberg UR-22 MKII, i7-4790K 4.00 Ghz, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM, Windows 10. 
    ba_midi
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 10:38:03 (permalink)

Bach would puke his guts up if he heard Lady Gaga. we are no longer tribal and what we call tribal music, psy trance and the other rubbish that gets lumped into that genre a two year old could do.

And just what masterpieces have you done?   I'd rather do Lady Gaga music - which has a huge fan base and sells a lot of records (um, maybe we are still tribal!?) then be someone sitting around a computer demeaning everyone else's work and efforts.

If you think making dance/top 40/contemporary music is "so easy", I'd like to hear you do it as well.

You come off as an arrogant, self-indulged, highly critical person, to be frank.  You are the type who does, in fact, start wars.

Look at your signature, btw ... what does the word "twent" mean? ;)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 10:57:40 (permalink)
    Bach would be puking his guts...

Quite likely. But I'm pretty sure Mozart would be OK with it.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    fitzj
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1487
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 12:35:27 (permalink)
    whoever did this send them to the Tower
    Jokerman
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 13:09:31 (permalink)
    dr.hash

Viva la Revolution

Maybe that can be the Sonar 9 advertising campaign - "Buy Sonar 9 and beat off the groupies with an oily stick" 

-=mike=-
    ba_midi
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 15:03:39 (permalink)
    bitflipper

Bach would be puking his guts...

Quite likely. But I'm pretty sure Mozart would be OK with it.

THAT is funny :)

Billy Arnell (ba-midi)

daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 15:11:39 (permalink)
    Sequencer software, unfortunately such as even the great Sonar have democratized music to the point ever nerd wanting a girlfriend and a bit of the wink, wink nudge, nudge think they can make music.

I didn't think groupies had a thing for nerds and gearheads.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    Chregg
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 16:35:11 (permalink)

flower of scotland with a trance beat (lol) you would have to be really ****ing cheesy to do that

So I just had to go and google that:

http://www.guitarsolos.co...-%5BsfNzaYRrTHA%5D.cfm

Thats ****ing horrific lol
    nprime
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2423
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 16:38:48 (permalink)
    Who cares?

It will be used by the same guys who think they can use presets for EQ and compression.

Nothing they do will ever be heard by anyone other than their friends and family.

I seriously doubt that it will rival mixes made by competent professionals.

Listen

Sonar 5PE
    Intel DP35DP, E6750, 3 GB, 80GB/320 GB
    Scope (6 DSP) w/A16 interface
    PadKontrol, Legacy Series MS20, EZDrummer.
    jungfriend
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 746
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 16:40:15 (permalink)
    Yeah Bit, I think you're right. Mozart composed opera buffa along with his more serious works, and apparently understood the money making potential of popular appeal.

Anyone who wants to use automated mixing software (or something like EZ Mix) and skip the hard part of learning how to mix their own music has my blessings. If the music is good, all the better. If the music is bad, it can join the growing ranks. If the bad music sells, it is a reflection on the audience. If good music goes by the wayside, well then so will we all at some point.

My hope is that there will always be a certain percentage of people that like music with artistic aspirations, and that composers, musicians, sound engineers, and producers will continue to exist and perhaps even thrive. In the meantime Dr. Hash is entitled to his opinion, and it is even possible that his efforts to prevent winking and nudging will be successful..
    Paul

Sonar X2 PE, ADK Core i7 920 3.6ghz 12gb, UAD-2 Quad,  2x20"+2x19" LCDs, Focal CMS 50, POD HD500, Layla 3G, PoCo mkII PCI-e, Tranzport, Edirol M-16DX, Remote SL61, Mackie MCU, NI Kore 2, NI Komplete, NI Maschine, etc.
    dr.hash
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 18:23:35 (permalink)
    OK final post on this one, you don't seam to get my sentiments, i was trying to stir things up.  I wholeheartedly think that this software is dangerous.  That was my point and i don't care some standards would be nice.  I have put my, myspace page url up with work i have done and work that been has done over the last few years so judge away (it's my womans and I work).  I will be setting up a website and flogging my products.  So judge away. 

Look i think our world could be better and standards and knowledge are at the core of that.  Music, the music industry and our art is in trouble i don't know what planet you guys are on but if the industry is better out there on that planet let me know I'm coming to join you.

I'm in the middle of all this, after completing my degree, and after much work, research and learning the conclusion is not good.  Our product, our art our musical work has been devalued so much, that bands don't wont to pay for recordings.  Most bands think they can do it themselves.  This software will not help that.

I have learnt something and i know the key and the secret as to why music is in terrible shape.  Of course there are factors that put pressure on this even more so, things such as more entertainment outlets.  But the biggest thing that is stopping music going forward is a lack of understanding of what the recording arts are.

I am trying to put together Strawberry Fields in a DAW, from my research, the skill that went into that track alone would scare most aspiring producers and be impossible for most of the producers around to achieve.  The layers, and complexity are awesome.

So before poo, pooing me try and understand my words, they are words of concern and words of concern for us all.  I am sorry if you think i am arrogant.  But i do believe in being the best you can be and i think this is a problem with the world in general (my opinion) and that is we accept mediocrity and we like it because it does not challenge us and it wont take away our cardboard castle.

Peace and Love Ben B.C.T (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)
    Weren't The Last Twenty Years Crap,
    Lets Make The Next Twenty Great.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 18:31:38 (permalink)
    dr.hash

I am trying to put together Strawberry Fields in a DAW, from my research, the skill that went into that track alone would scare most aspiring producers and be impossible for most of the producers around to achieve.  The layers, and complexity are awesome.

what george has / had access to and what we have now is FAR different.

I call up a perfectly mic'd up tron with the preset and eq'ing fine.. specifically for strawberry fields.. and the bonus was it was recorded in the same abbey road studio ;-) and maybe the same tron..

seriously, some people on here cover stuff.. if your silly enough to under estimate folk and their ability then that's your look out.

a friend of mine is well known for covers of songs.. so much so people think it's the original artist..

as for covering the beatles stuff.. payout for royalties is too much, thats why no one bothers covering .

although strawberry fields was released covered.. I guess 20 or so years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2-9GXiZ2hM
    post edited by Fog - 2010/08/05 18:34:21
    Mooch4056
    Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7494
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 19:36:06 (permalink)

I wholeheartedly think that this software is dangerous

I am not afraid of software  - and I am the one that's dangerous to that software  ...the software IS NOT dangerous to me 

since were talking degrees I have a bachelor and masters in music education 

I am dangerous because I just use sonar like a giant digital tape machine and record like the old days - only difference than the old days is the editing at my fingertips - (cut and past copy ect....)

I am dangerous because I am trained to teach and play 17 instruments 

I am dangerous because I know better -  than to be fooled by a loop or a soft sythn and someone who actually created the music and performed it 

I am the threat 

and when I am writing and recording my "A" game...... a piece of software over my human ears when it comes down to a mix doesn't have anything over my ability,,,nor does a computer have any competition when it comes to heart in music - its a no contest  

same as when I play with heart as opposed to a loop

I am dangerous to that software and the creators because I am a teacher

I am  spreading the news to be creative on your own - be it something that is crap or great or mediocre it came from me or you or that guy over there   

I am dangerous because I have over 4700 people following me and contributing to a web page  I created - "Music is just as important as reading, writing, math, science and history"  

I am dangerous because I don't care about yelling that I am a Christian to anyone - Christ was about Love - and I love EVERYONE even if you don't -  that's not a bad thing combining Love and music - 

automatic mixing software V.S. Mooch 

I am not scared -- AT ALL 

BRING IT - 

I AM THE ONE THAT'S DANGEROUS 

and so are all of you if you want to be - and I think most of you are all ready very creative and dangerous VS an automated mixing software program thingy POS

anyway 

what's Bapu been doing today ?

WHAT!?

post edited by Mooch4056 - 2010/08/05 19:42:31

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
    Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 19:47:44 (permalink)
    I happen to be a huge Beatles fan, and yes, Strawberry Fields was an awesome achievement. 

But once again it's not about complexity and technical brilliance and know-how - cos if it where, then we could all just spend a few lifetimes transcribing charts and studying the art of counterpoint - hence the reference to Bach.

Personally, I enjoy both the Beatles and Bach, for different reasons. Same for Charlie Parker. Same for Kraftwerk. Same for Marilyn Manson, the Sex Pistols, Skinny Puppy, Cradle of Filth, John Zorn and traditional Chinese music.

I also happen to appreciate Lady Gaga (pay attention to those back vocals, there's more to it than it looks - some interesting twists, as schooled vocalists might tell you - ironically enough). I probably wouldn't put her stuff in my MP3 player, but I can dig it. It works.

And if a kid w/ his automated mixer puts out a song that I enjoy, well, so be it. I know there's a lot of rubbish floating around on the internet, but you either learn to live w/ it and look for what's good or you just give up...

And if a girl is stupid enough to fall for a nerd assembling loops in Garageband - what do I care? They both get what they deserve, and they're not part of my crowd. But it's their world out there. 

People are either overrated or underrated - but rarely appreciated for what they're worth, anyway...

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    dr.hash
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 20:05:45 (permalink)
    I like mooch 456, i don't know if you are having a go at me or in some way supporting me and i agree I'm not scared (I am looking for a fight, i suppose i am a contradictory beast, i just want a better appreciation of our art) perhaps mooch is right and it exists and i haven't found it. 

Look read my words, I'm saying if you want to learn, learn from the best and the best in recording at the start are the beatles and their associated team. 

I don't know if your attacking me either fog.  All i was saying the democratization of music through this software with the help of Apple have given us the industry that we have today.  If you had read my words, I'm saying that here in OZ we don't have an industry unless its live and i think this is bad.  all the best work in my opinion has been written in the studio.

I have also said judge me if you want i have given you my link to my myspce page.
    Finally i actually like what mooch has written, he is correct and he is going about the music business in the right way.

My intention was not to offend but to try and warn everybody of this software and the potential problems that it may cause.  I have said we have one of the best communities in DAW land.  once again, i apologize for any offence.

Peace and Love Ben B.C.T (Bachelor Of Creative Technology)
    Weren't the last twenty years crap,
    lets make the next twenty great"
    Ps mooch i will finish my masters in music technology at the end of the year.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Automatic Mixing Software 2010/08/05 20:06:26 (permalink)

As long as the breeze blows through the trees there will always be automatic music whose direction knows not the will of its composer.  Is its beauty still apparent when there is no witness to the magnificence of its crescendo contrasting with its even louder silence and the well drilled rhythm of its perceived randomness? 

Fear not the change, rather embrace it, as we are but the mere vibrations transitioning from chorus to verse to bridge as we journey toward the final refrain in the song of life, which in itself will only amount to a brief trill or pause in the greater symphony, we will be the nonetheless grateful to have played our minute part in what is a  vast eternal cacophony. Yet surely even this will amount to no more than the sound of a gentle trickling of a brook from an even greater perspective, again providing another precious yet tiny part of a still further and deeper orchhestration.

Does the term 'Bachelor' of Creative Technology not literally describe one here, who though has cultivated his mind well with knowledge, has yet to engage and revel in the full intimacy of a truly committed and abandoned relationship with his art, or is he still just casually petting with his fellows newly graduated?

Only time will tell.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1