Automation - I don't get it...Help!?!?

Author
jamester
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1481
2005/08/11 02:49:48 (permalink)

Automation - I don't get it...Help!?!?

I am so used to the clip envelopes in Sonar. This automation stuff isn't working for me. I find it very hard to know what volume I'm actually at, and how to say, pull one word up in volume in the middle of a phrase.

Any tips? Please?

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro

2 Replies Related Threads

crabtwins
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: Automation - I don't get it...Help!?!? 2005/08/11 03:41:52 (permalink)
    jamester there shouldnt be any shortage of input on this one but you can draw automation or record automation. Drawing is to me a very weak way of doing this. There are some keyboard tips like holding shift and while you draw to get a straight line. But if you remote control a knob on your controller you can record your control while the song plays and you control what you want. Sonar does some of this in a much more elegant way (envelopes, fades, markers). I'm sure some people have luck with it but it makes me a little looney too.

good luck

wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Automation - I don't get it...Help!?!? 2005/08/11 08:19:43 (permalink)

once I start drawing I thought oh happy day I see percentages -- well what does percentage mean on volume -- I know I want most of the track at -11.6 dB -- i have to diddle quite a bit to figure out that means roughly 37%

i know it's possible to record the changes on the mouse move volume slider directly, but the volume db display goes away when I'm doing that, so again I'm into recalling the approximate desired position of the slider

also had numerous occasions last night while using the drawing tool and getting too far ahead and backing up and the tool auto changes to selection tool. What' up with that?

other than that i hav eno problems with automation. i find v2 a great improvement over previous versions

as to the original question
    it's probably much easier to work with an audio clip within the editor instead of the track and turn off grid snap and work the volume with the draw tool till you get what you want

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1