Automation in SI String section

Author
Tremor
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 232
2010/07/10 10:26:05 (permalink)

Automation in SI String section

hi Guys..

I'm using the SI string section in a HS 6 project and want to automate the volume for a fade. I'm generally a MIDI man and use the envelope tool for midi events in the Track view. Fading the midi section of the SI track does nothing and there appears to be no automation facility in the SI String Section synth rack view.

Am I missing something here or is there no automation facility for the SI string section?

7 Replies Related Threads

planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:Automation in SI String section 2010/07/10 12:45:48 (permalink)
    That setup of yours in the picture looks nice, Tremor. Is there a larger version of the picture somewhere?

If you're applying a MIDI volume envelope to the track (or a clip), you should be fine. This is a standard MIDI event (more or less).

Does this work for you if you try it with other instruments? I don't have SI String Section, but as long as it's set to respond to MIDI volume commands, you should be fine. If what you're doing doesn't work with other instruments, we'll have to see how you're doing it.

That said, some VSTs use non-standard ways of implementing volume changes. EWQL's Kontakt-based player did this.

Ultimately, if there's no such support within Studio Instruments, you could always bounce the track and apply a volume envelope to the audio data. It's not quite what you want, but in the end, it's basically the same thing.

I checked this site for any support info on Studio Instruments. Cakewalk doesn't supply any other than a dozen KB articles relating to installation. For anything else, they point you to the forums.
    post edited by planetearth - 2010/07/10 12:47:23

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Automation in SI String section 2010/07/10 21:11:20 (permalink)
    You won't find that sort of automation in the SI GUI. It's a linear function of the host (SHS6).
    I usually use a volume envelope in the Synth Audio Track, as planetearth suggests.
    You don't need to bounce first.
    Just right click in the audio track, and insert the volume envelope. Insert nodes to suite, and fade away.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Tremor
    Re:Automation in SI String section 2010/07/13 12:21:19 (permalink)
    Hi guys...and many thanks for the responses - and the complement from Planetearth. I can send you a larger version of the studio if you drop me your email.

OK two things..

I have already inserted a volume envelope in the MIDI track, and the MIDI volume slider follows it - but the level remains the same!! I've moved the envelope about a bit but it actually makes no difference, the volume remains constant. It works OK for MIDI-only tracks though.

Second the audio part of the SI Strings track has no audio showing in it - it appears empty although it sounds correctly and the bar graph level meters are correctly the L&R channel levels. There is no audio to apply a volume envelop to.  The MIDI part of the track shows correctly.

Any other thoughts??

Mike

Mike Sonar X3 Studio, Aria PC AMD FX-8350 8-core, Win 7 64 bit Home premium SP1, 16 Gb Ram , Behringer FCA1616, Focusrite Sapphire 40, MOTU Midi Express 128, JV1080, Emu 2000, 05R/W, Yamaha Motif XS Rack, Roland Integra 7, Alesis S4 & QSR, Yamaha MU90, Alesis Nano-Piano, EMU B-3, Yamaha TD6, CME UF-7, Technics piano, Roland XV5050, Roland VP-7 and loads of VSTs
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Automation in SI String section 2010/07/13 13:09:43 (permalink)
    The audio is there, you just can't see it.
    Turn the Wave Preview on (the button next to the Solo button in the track view).
    This will give you a waveform veiw of the synth output. It is a dynamic waveform, and it will reflect volume changes, such as with an envelope. It also shows any clipping that may occur (red peaks in the waveform).
    This is one of my favorite tools in SHS6.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    planetearth
    Re:Automation in SI String section 2010/07/13 14:07:51 (permalink)
    Turn the Wave Preview on (the button next to the Solo button in the track view).

Robert has a good idea to check for the presence of audio in the track, but keep in mind that the Wave Preview is a bit of a resource hog; you might want to use it sparingly. On faster systems, you might not notice the hit, but displaying the waveforms for multiple tracks on slower systems can take its tool. The data is cached, but every time you make changes, it's re-calculated and re-drawn. That said, if your machine is fast enough, leave it on--it can be very helpful.

Does this happen with any other VST instruments, or are you only experiencing this with SI? Create a new file, insert a different VSTi, and see if applying a MIDI volume fade works there, please. That will let you know if the problem is SI or something else.

Feel free to send a larger picture to me here. I'd like to see it, if you don't mind. Just PM me.

Thanks!

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    Tremor
    Re:Automation in SI String section 2010/07/14 18:33:29 (permalink)
    Robert B ...you're an absolute  star!

Having turned on the sine-wave "squiggle" next to the solo button, I can now see the audio - and fade it too - brilliant!Also have noticed the problem only seems to be in SI VSTs. I have tried it with Virtual Guitarist OK, and also with Native Instruments Hammond B4 II - also OK so it seems to be associated with Cakewalk SI.

Anyway your assistance has been very helpful and fruitful, so thank you very much guys.

Planetearth... more than happy to send a bigger pic...but, uh...what exactly is "PM"?

Very grateful for your inputs,

Mike

Mike Sonar X3 Studio, Aria PC AMD FX-8350 8-core, Win 7 64 bit Home premium SP1, 16 Gb Ram , Behringer FCA1616, Focusrite Sapphire 40, MOTU Midi Express 128, JV1080, Emu 2000, 05R/W, Yamaha Motif XS Rack, Roland Integra 7, Alesis S4 & QSR, Yamaha MU90, Alesis Nano-Piano, EMU B-3, Yamaha TD6, CME UF-7, Technics piano, Roland XV5050, Roland VP-7 and loads of VSTs
    planetearth
    Re:Automation in SI String section 2010/07/14 21:54:48 (permalink)
    Tremor, a "PM" is a "private message". If you put your mouse over my name, you'll get an option to send a PM to me.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1