Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals

Author
ohhey
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11676
2006/03/27 13:01:10 (permalink)

Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals

I did a vocal track this weekend and ended up with a bunch of spit and mouth noise, #@$%! condensor mics pick up everything. I can fix the clip in Sound Forge but it's a lot of work, any ideas on how to keep this down ?

Chain is AKG Solid Tube -> Grace 101 -> Lynx Two sound card.

14 Replies Related Threads

DX1451
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/27 17:18:49 (permalink)
    How's it, ohhey? From an instrumentalists POV I think another take is in order if'n the spit and mouth noise be excessive, or a different mic. Not being a vocalist, or at least lead vocalist, seems to me that this might be just quicker.
    BTW, thanks for answering my first post so long ago and I still review that as an inspiration as well as all of your posts. :)

F-A-C-E is a Fmaj7 chord
    skbass88
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/27 22:10:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ohhey

I did a vocal track this weekend and ended up with a bunch of spit and mouth noise, #@$%! condensor mics pick up everything. I can fix the clip in Sound Forge but it's a lot of work, any ideas on how to keep this down ?

Do instrumentals exclusively...?

Sorry, had to.
    KitC
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/27 23:06:17 (permalink)
    Try taking a short drink of room temp/lukewarm water whenever you track vocals. It washes out/dilutes the excess saliva in your mouth, which is what causes those mouth noises.

Kit
    S4.0.4PE, S5.2PE, S6.2.1PE, P5V2.5
    Production Forums
    ohhey
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/27 23:06:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: skbass88

Do instrumentals exclusively...?

Sorry, had to.

LOL ! Yeah.. that makes the songwriting part easier.
    ohhey
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/28 00:50:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KitC

Try taking a short drink of room temp/lukewarm water whenever you track vocals. It washes out/dilutes the excess saliva in your mouth, which is what causes those mouth noises.

Nice... that's what I was looking for. Thank you.
    Franco_ontarien
    • Total Posts : 110
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/28 10:51:37 (permalink)
    I agree with KitC and you may also try limon juice this is verry good.
    Just before recording or live show I drink 2 bottle of water and limon juice. If you pee to much with water you may try limon juice.
    ohhey
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/28 10:52:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Franco_ontarien

Just before recording or live show I drink 2 bottle of water and limon juice. If you pee to much with water you may try limon juice.

I guess I could just record in the bathroom in case I had to pee.. nice reverb in there...
    Franco_ontarien
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/28 10:58:33 (permalink)

I guess I could just record in the bathroom in case I had to pee.. nice reverb in there...

Hehe Yep!
    KitC
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/28 11:03:23 (permalink)

Well, lemon does add flavor to water but... my vocal instructor (I was part of a classically trained chorale many moons ago...) was adamant about juices and sodas. They seem to thicken naturally occuring mucus in the throat thereby producing , ahem..., phlegm. I'd stick to water during tracking, and all the other beverages for after. For some strange reason, though, a shot of brandy before a show seemed to do wonders for the performance.

Kit
    Production Forums
    ohhey
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/28 11:17:29 (permalink)

Well, lemon does add flavor to water but... my vocal instructor (I was part of a classically trained chorale many moons ago...) was adamant about juices and sodas. They seem to thicken naturally occuring mucus in the throat thereby producing , ahem..., phlegm. I'd stick to water during tracking, and all the other beverages for after. For some strange reason, though, a shot of brandy before a show seemed to do wonders for the performance.

I like Jack Daniels for the type of music I do.. it seems to work best. However, take number 36 can get a little sloppy
    no criminal intent
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/28 12:21:03 (permalink)

Well, lemon does add flavor to water but... my vocal instructor (I was part of a classically trained chorale many moons ago...) was adamant about juices and sodas. They seem to thicken naturally occuring mucus in the throat thereby producing , ahem..., phlegm. I

I agree to a point. Regular juices should be avoided, especially highly acid ones. Orange juice is I believe the worst as it can radically produce and thicken mucous. However, I picked up somewhere (some famous singer) to drink a glass of warm water with a slice of lime squeezed in. Not a juice drink perse, as your only adding a little. It seems to help me anyway. I also tend to angle a bit away from straight on into the mic to help avoid splosives and mouth noise.

For some strange reason, though, a shot of brandy before a show seemed to do wonders for the performance.

And if a shot can do that, just think what a whole bottle can do. ;-)

zumba
    KitC
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/28 12:31:48 (permalink)
    Well I did say only a shot (just to help calm the jitters just before showtime)... the rest of the bottle was for AFTER the performance with the rest of the troupe.

I like Jack Daniels for the type of music I do.. it seems to work best. However, take number 36 can get a little sloppy

I'm more of a cognac man myself, although I do like my label Black.

Kit
    Production Forums
    Franco_ontarien
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/28 13:50:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: no criminal intent

(some famous singer) to drink a glass of warm water with a slice of lime squeezed in. Not a juice drink perse, as your only adding a little. It seems to help me anyway. I also tend to angle a bit away from straight on into the mic to help avoid splosives and mouth noise.

Your right my English is so bad I did not know how say that or write this. Sorry for the juice example it was bad word. Glass of warm water with a slice of lime squeezed in is what I'm doing and I know a lot of singer who did the same. Celine Dion use this technic also...And she don't speak to any one 4 hour before a concert. I'm not good enough in English to tell you why but search on google for this tips on vocalist or medic article about that. You will find several article.
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Avoiding spit and mouth noises on vocals 2006/03/28 19:18:28 (permalink)

Switch to mezcal for your next session. I double-damn guarantee that the take right after you swallow the worm will be the very best one...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1