Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar

Author
DaveA
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
2010/09/16 05:27:12 (permalink)

Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar

Hi all,

Trying to record acoustic guitar without some additional painful frequencies whistling along. I've tried EQing at what I think is the source and then the octaves thereafter, still leaves very noticable presence. So....any ideas on how to stop them in the first instance - I've considered stuffing a sock in the sound hole or some other form of dampening (the main offending freq seems to be at around 1150Hz) but if you have any experience and success in dealing with similar issues I'd be very glad to hear from you!

Thanks in advance

Dave

Singer songwriter
Sonar X2 PE x64, Carillon AC-1 (Rain Recording upgrade), Windows 8 Pro, Intel Extreme DP45SG, Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 8GB DDR3, M-Audio Delta66/Omni, other stuff

12 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar 2010/09/16 05:42:32 (permalink)
    Recording acoustic guitar is as hard as it gets.

You need:

1) A guitar that likes to be recorded... which is often times not your favorite guitar for playing.

2) Great playing technique with an ear for performing cleanly... and sitting still in the playing position.

3) Some good gear

4) A room that doesn't just sound bad

5) Mic placement chosen carefully... hopefully by actually getting yor ears down and listening for sweet spots.

There's a lot easier things to record.

Keep at it and work it like a craft... each day is a new day to start over again.

best regards,
    mike

DaveA
    • Total Posts : 151
    Re:Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar 2010/09/16 06:38:57 (permalink)
    Thanks Mike,

I think I might be going with the new day start again approach with this one!

I do keep asking myself though, how many hours is it reasonable to spend on recording a two minute part of a song?

Dave

Singer songwriter
    Sonar X2 PE x64, Carillon AC-1 (Rain Recording upgrade), Windows 8 Pro, Intel Extreme DP45SG, Q9550 @ 2.83GHz, 8GB DDR3, M-Audio Delta66/Omni, other stuff
    hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    Re:Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar 2010/09/16 07:44:11 (permalink)
    Hi Dave,

Have you tried changing strings or guitar if you can?

As Mike mentions above, Mic placement is key here too - if you can get someone else to play the guitar while you arrange the mics with headphones on (cranked up loud!) you should be able to find a sweet spot.

Also, I've often found myself effecting the life out of guitar tracks with everything I can lay my hands on until its become a squidgy mess of compression and eq - sometimes its good to go back to a raw track and see how it sits in the mix.

Hope this helps.
    hairyjamie
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 947
    Re:Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar 2010/09/16 07:45:15 (permalink)
    PS - In answer to your question - "as long as it takes!"
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    Re:Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar 2010/09/16 07:56:17 (permalink)
    I do keep asking myself though, how many hours is it reasonable to spend on recording a two minute part of a song?

As Jamie says as long as it takes, but bear in mind the good knowledge you gain is never wasted, at least if you ever come to record another guitar.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar 2010/09/16 09:36:26 (permalink)
    How long? I'm thinking the first time or two would be the longest. Finding the sweet spot for the mic(s), setting up EQ and compression and whatever other FX you might care to use.... (save them as presets) or write down the settings.... once you get it set up and figured out... recoding the right take is just a matter of how long it takes for you to play the part cleanly.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Butch
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar 2010/09/16 12:56:38 (permalink)
    Here's my M.O. for recording acoustic guitar:

Get in a "dry" room.  Your bedroom closet works well.  Surround your recording space with foam, soft blankets, hanging clothes, etc.

Use a small diaphram condenser, 12 inches off the fretboard where the body meets the neck, and pointed towards the sound hole.

When recording, sit still, don't move the guitar in relation to the mic.

New strings and a thin flexible pick.

That seems to get me a pretty good sound.

Hope this helps.

Butch
    Let's make some art!
    guitardog247
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1226
    Re:Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar 2010/09/16 13:10:55 (permalink)
    This is something I've been working on for awhile, everything changed since moving, and now recording in an unfinished basement. Awful low-end bouncing around the concrete. I was recording in a den with hard wood floors. Had a very nice sound in there.

Like others are saying, when recording acoustic instruments, room and mic/mic placement are everything. And of course how you are playing it as well.

Sonar, Les Paul Studio, FTU, puter, plugs.........
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar 2010/09/16 14:00:04 (permalink)
    You don't say if the unwanted sound is coming from the guitar directly or from room reflections, so I'll assume it's the latter or a combination of both.

You might consider constructing some baffles using rigid fiberglass / rockwool in a wood frame. You can assemble a couple of them in an hour. Don't set them close to the guitar, though, unless you want a really dull, dry sound. Set them 2-4 feet away. The idea is to dampen reflections from the walls. A throw rug on the floor under the performer can help, too.

Also experiment with different microphone angles. If the nastiness is due to reflections from the floor (likely if the guitarist is seated), you might do better setting the mic low and angling it upward, or putting it up high pointing down over the player's shoulder.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar 2010/09/16 15:06:43 (permalink)
    It's very possible that the best strings for recording are thicker than what you'd actually like to play with.

You don't mention the type of music, neither whether you use nylon or metal strings.

In some articles I've read ribbon mics are good in "bypassing" the restless highs of metal strings.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    marcos69
    Max Output Level: -26 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4950
    Re:Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar 2010/09/16 16:47:07 (permalink)
    DaveA

Hi all,

Trying to record acoustic guitar without some additional painful frequencies whistling along. I've tried EQing at what I think is the source and then the octaves thereafter, still leaves very noticable presence. So....any ideas on how to stop them in the first instance - I've considered stuffing a sock in the sound hole or some other form of dampening (the main offending freq seems to be at around 1150Hz) but if you have any experience and success in dealing with similar issues I'd be very glad to hear from you!

Thanks in advance

Dave

I'm wondering if the offender is your mic.  Have you tried different mics or with a DI'd pickup or even different guitars just to isolate the problem or rule out equipment?

Mark Wessels

At CD Baby

At Soundclick
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re:Avoiding unwanted added noise recording acoustic guitar 2010/09/16 18:00:47 (permalink)
    I picked the brain of Larry Hansen of SMB for his technique, as he gets an incredible acoustic sound. His room is untreated. He has a nice Taylor, a Great River preamp, and 2 very decent mics. Throw in the fact that he's a really talented acoustic guitarist, and it's a good recipe.

What are you using? Guitar, mic, preamp, setup?

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1