Awake

Author
AntManB
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 144
2017/05/22 22:09:45 (permalink)

Awake

Time to pluck up the courage to actually post something.  Originally his just started as a quick sketch which I planned to expand upon.  But in the end, I decided to keep it short and simple - it kind of fits in with the theme.

https://soundcloud.com/bmuse/awake

Any comments welcome.

AMB

7 Replies Related Threads

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Awake 2017/05/23 05:03:29 (permalink)
    I like the vibe very much.

Pretty fun psychadelic vocal. Looking at a mix choice, what about the snare? I don't know if you've got options, but the snare you've chosen is pretty brash, kind of like a high school marching band snare? Your song might breathe a little better with something more subtle, mellow, acoustic for a snare, where we hear the drum head a lot more than the rattle. If you have AD2 or its ilk, you might experiment. Just a thought.

Good song! Welcome to the fray.

-Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Awake 2017/05/23 12:48:01 (permalink)
    Should really use a brush set for the drums. The quieter parts sound really good, but when things start up, you need to separate the guitars better to leave some space for the vocal.

Cool song, could stand some more fleshing out, but I think you did fine with what you've got there.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    AntManB
    Re: Awake 2017/05/23 17:37:44 (permalink)
    Thanks Tom and Dan - I appreciate the feedback.

I'll experiment a bit with different drum sounds.  I like Dan's suggestion of brushes but I don't think I have a brush set at the moment (in AD2 anyway).  I've already gone back and forth on the panning of the guitars - I like idea of separation but I also like the way they blend together.  I'll give that another look (or listen) though.

AMB

biodiode
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1202
    Re: Awake 2017/05/23 18:14:20 (permalink)
    I like the feel of this song and your vocal is really nice. Same comment about the snare, fix that and the song will thank you for it. As for the guitars I don't if you read Craig's tips in his weekly post. There was one a while ago about making guitars sound more stereo without going over the top with effects, it worked for me on one of my tracks.

Nice song though, enjoyed the listen.

www.biodiode.com  
    https://soundcloud.com/biodiode
    PC Specs :-Sonar Platinum,
    Fractal Design Define R4 Case, Asus X-99 Deluxe motherboard, Intel Core i7 5960X Processor, Bequiet BK010 Dark Rock Cooler, 32GB - 2400mhz Corsair memory, 650W Bequiet Dark Pro PSU, 1GB XFX Radeon R5 Passive GFX, 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD, 1 x 3TB WesterDigital Black HDD, LG - BluRay Combo Drive, Windows 10, Kensington SlimBlade Trackball, LG34UM88C 34-Inch 3440 x 1440 UltraWide IPS Monitor
    AntManB
    Re: Awake 2017/05/23 22:04:30 (permalink)
    Thanks biodiode.  I do generally read Craig's tips - it was something to do with multi-band compression if I'm not mistaken.  Thanks for the reminder, I'll give that a try.

AMB

Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: Awake 2017/05/23 22:57:29 (permalink)
    First off : I enjoyed hearing this one. For me the mix sounds great with one exception - I thought you needed more reverb on the lead vocals and bury it a little bit more in the mix for clarity. 
    Just my opinion, why? Because the vocals sound so dry and bland. It's almost like you cut the top off the FX where the reverb goes on the vocals. 

Just my opinions and please take them as a grain of salt because I am no mixmaster, I just use my ears and I'm old and don't hear well these days. 

But I must say, I liked hearing this very much and think of this when I say that : "I am describing how I would adjust the song if I were using a music player app or something like that", so adjustments are optional I guess these days, maybe dry is the new thing where music goes considering all the preferences and such. I'm old school though, I like hearing a mix AS IS. 

Either way, not really giving you advice, I'm just lending you my ears and what I hear on my speakers. Take it for what it is. I enjoyed hearing this very much!!!!!!!!! Keep on keepin' on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobby

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
    AntManB
    Re: Awake 2017/05/27 12:09:12 (permalink)
    Thanks for you comments Bobby.  I'm a bit confused by the phrase "bury it a little bit more in the mix for clarity" - could you expand on that a bit?

Regarding reverb, I'm currently working on a new mix and I'll add reverb to the list of things to consider.  The original mix had no reverb, just delay, so I guess that's why you found it hard to hear :)  I do like relatively dry vocals personally but maybe a subtle reverb will help.

AMB

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1