BA request: Automatic project backup

Author
a13xhp
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
2018/12/13 16:35:59 (permalink)

BA request: Automatic project backup

I have been testing the Splice functionality and it would be great if BA add it's automatic backup feature (not compatible with CBB) some time in the future. I really like the export module but I would like even more if my Cakewalk projects are automatically saved on the cloud with a roll-backing system for its different revisions.
What do you think? BA and Splice desktop are very similar apps from my point of view.

6 Replies Related Threads

Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re: BA request: Automatic project backup 2018/12/15 13:39:44 (permalink)
    There is an autosave function- Not sure why you would want to save it to the " CLOUD " -

To Save a project
    Choose File > Save As to display the Save As dialog box.

Choose the type of file you want to save from the Save as Type list.

Enter a file name and click Save.

SONAR saves the file. You can also use File Versioning instead of using Save As. For more information, see To use File Versioning.
    To change the Auto Save settings
    Go to Edit > Preferences > File - Advanced to access Auto Save settings.

To enable Auto Save, set the number of minutes and/or the number of changes between saves.

To disable Auto Save, set both values to zero.

Click OK.

From now on, your projects are saved automatically according to the settings you entered.
    Using File Versioning
    SONAR can be enabled to keep previously saved versions of your project in a temporary file. You can revert to any of these saved versions or use the default of the most recently saved version.
    When file versioning is enabled, SONAR retains a list of previously saved project files in your project folder. The most recent version retains the original name of the project. Previously saved versions are saved with a time stamp following the original project name in order of most recently saved.
    To use File Versioning
    Go to Edit > Preferences > File - Advanced to access File Versioning settings.

Select the Enable Versioning Of Project (.CWP) Files check box.

Use the spinner to select the number of versions of your project you would like SONAR to keep.

Note: If you exceed the maximum number of saved file versions selected in Step 3, the oldest version is discarded.
    To revert to a previously saved file
    Choose File > Revert.

A dialog box appears containing a list of dates and file sizes for all previously saved versions of the current project.
    Select the file version you want to work on.

Click OK.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: BA request: Automatic project backup 2018/12/15 14:55:32 (permalink)
    One thing you should be aware of with cloud services, is that if the cloud sync app tries to access files Cakewalk/SONAR is using, it's likely to crash Cakewalk/SONAR.

I've found this to be true for Microsoft OneDrive, Mega & Dropbox, in fact any application that tries to access audio files Cakewalk is writing to, will crash Cakewalk.

What I do is have is a shortcut on my desktop to a batch file that copies all my projects over to my Mega sync directories.

I double click on the shortcut once I've come out of Cakewalk, and everything is copied & synced to the cloud.
    e.g.:
    ROBOCOPY F:\SEQUENCE F:\Projects\SEQUENCE *.* /XO /E /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT 
    ROBOCOPY F:\PICTURE F:\Projects\PICTURE *.* /XO /E /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT
    ROBOCOPY F:\TEMPLATES F:\Projects\TEMPLATES *.* /XO /E /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT
    ROBOCOPY F:\WAVEDATA F:\Projects\WAVEDATA *.* /XO /E /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT

...where F:\Projects is my Mega sync directory, and F:\SEQUENCE,F:\PICTURE,F:\TEMPLATES & F:\WAVEDATA are my actual Cakewalk projects, picture, templates and global audio directories.

The options I'm using with ROBOCOPY ensure that only changed/newer files are copied over.

I've got another batch file that copies the files back from the cloud:
    ROBOCOPY F:\Projects\SEQUENCE F:\SEQUENCE *.* /XO /E /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT 
    ROBOCOPY F:\Projects\PICTURE F:\PICTURE *.* /XO /E /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT
    ROBOCOPY F:\Projects\TEMPLATES F:\TEMPLATES *.* /XO /E /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT
    ROBOCOPY F:\Projects\WAVEDATA F:\WAVEDATA *.* /XO /E /COPYALL /DCOPY:DAT

Of course the downside to this is that I'm using twice as much space on my projects drive. 

The alternative to this, is to turn off the automatic syncing on whatever cloud app you're using and do a manual sync when you quit Cakewalk.

Mark McLeod
    Cakewalk by BL | ASUS P8B75-V, Intel I5 3570 16GB RAM Win 10 64 + Win 7 64/32 SSD HD's, Scarlett 18i20 / 6i6 | ASUS ROG GL552VW 16GB RAM Win 10 64 SSD HD's, Scarlett 2i2 | Behringer Truth B2030A / Edirol MA-5A | Mackie MCU + C4 + XT | 2 x BCF2000, Korg NanoKontrol Studio
    HIBI
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 45
    Re: BA request: Automatic project backup 2018/12/15 15:33:47 (permalink)
    I think OP is wishing BandLab becomes like Splice Studio. (If it's not so, sorry...)
    Looks good: https://splice.com/blog/how-to-use-splice-studio/

HIBI (Mad Marsa)     Twitter, Facebook

New official Cakewalk forum.
    About new forum, read this: http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3806006
    a13xhp
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: BA request: Automatic project backup 2018/12/16 15:56:19 (permalink)
    HIBI
    I think OP is wishing BandLab becomes like Splice Studio. (If it's not so, sorry...)
    Looks good: https://splice.com/blog/how-to-use-splice-studio/

Yeah... I want BA to add new features in the vein of Splice Studio or Blend. I find it very limited in it's current state.
    Note: Neither Splice or Blend support Cakewalk for the moment and it's not difficult to see similarities between BA and these apps.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: BA request: Automatic project backup 2018/12/16 22:19:54 (permalink)
    I have never lost a Project. It's very simple.

1. Make sure you use a new dependable hard drive that is ONLY used to store your DAW files. 
    Keep it clean and never run it past 60%  full. 
    2. Back this up regularly to at least 2- 3 or 4  other drives. I have my stuff in about 5 places. 

I have been using One drive for over a year to save my CWP files too. BUT these were only MIDI and no audio added at that point. I never had a problem even songs with a lot of VST's going on. 
    It was great way to work as I often was using 2 different computers. The files are stored locally to each as well as on the cloud. That's 3 copies all up to date and as simple as pie. 

Now I'm adding the Audio I work with my "E" drive which is a brand new  240 SSD and only has my new projects copied there. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: BA request: Automatic project backup 2018/12/16 23:54:25 (permalink)
    Johnny, do you still adhere to the 60% rule even if it's a SSD?

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1