BBE Plugin, anyone used this.

Author
mikeitup
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 42
2005/06/02 12:42:25 (permalink)

BBE Plugin, anyone used this.

I have heard about these gizmos (especially the rackmount versions).
What does it do and is it worth purchasing.

ta

"Far too widdly that is"

7 Replies Related Threads

southphilly
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: BBE Plugin, anyone used this. 2005/06/02 13:46:25 (permalink)
    funny, i just looked into it the other day...

since BBE is now a directX VST plugin you can use it right in GTP3. It's a "sonic maximizer", a fancy name for a plugin that's suppossed to "add brilliance, depth, detail and definition to your music" How? i'm not sure.

here's a link that I just checked out the other day: BBE Sonic Maximizer

the "product overview & specs" goes into some greater detail, but I still am unclear on exactly how it does what it does. i didn't look too hard, but would love to see some samples of a before/after audio signal to get an idea about it's power.

peace

southphilly

"...all my lies are only wishes..."

http://www.soundclick.com/weus

Bamboo
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: BBE Plugin, anyone used this. 2005/06/02 20:43:38 (permalink)
    I've been using a BBE on our band's live sound PA rig for over 10 years.
    I have no idea what makes it tick, but this point I consider it a necessity in any live sound rig. Ok...now you are wondering what it does, right?...It's hard to describe...All I can tell you is that it can make cheap speakers sound good, and good speakers sound great. An analogy is that it's like having very blurry vision, and then putting on a pair of glasses. It adds defination and lets the discrete components in a mix to be heard and not lost in a muddy mess It works well in swampy smokey, places with really bad acoustics...and it works great in ampitheaters with very good acoustics.

I have never used one for recording, but would consider using one during mastering or making a final mix...especially if things were a bit muddy.

I don't know if that answers your questions at all!
    pcmodeler
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: BBE Plugin, anyone used this. 2005/06/03 06:30:40 (permalink)
    I've got one for my guitar rig. It's been a few years so I don't fully remember all of the details, but it breaks the sound spectrum up into different bands and then delays those bands differently. If I remember right, mine breaks it into three bands and delays the lowest band by the most, the middle band by a little and the top band not at all. I would guess the plug in does the same thing.
    southphilly
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: BBE Plugin, anyone used this. 2005/06/03 11:10:30 (permalink)
    good info...

Bamboo (or other BBE users)

would you end up with a mess if you treated every track with the BBE or you think just best for a final master effect? also, does anyone know if the plugin version has a "display"? That is, an EQ type read-out showing the signal within the "sound spectrum"? (kind of like a spectrum analyzer)

guess what I'm really wondering is if it would help out with pinpointing those areas within the mix that are "empty" or too full and therefore know - from a 1's and 0's point of view - if i'm improving the mix? (obviously my ears are the best gauge, but still curious)

maybe i'll post the same question on the sonar board, those cats usually have every new plugin the second it is available.

thanks

southphilly

"...all my lies are only wishes..."

http://www.soundclick.com/weus

Bamboo
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: BBE Plugin, anyone used this. 2005/06/03 11:34:13 (permalink)
    Frankly, I don't know for sure.

I know some bass players who run them in their rig and swear by them (it does help out those who play the slap bass or tap bass style), but when I tried it in a guitar rig it made it too edgy for my tastes. My instinct says that it would best be applied to a final mix...but again, I'm just guessing.

Your idea about asking the sonar guys is a good one. Then do seem to have all the cool toys! Ha!

I've thought about getting the BBE plug in, but don't have a real need for it right now. If you get it, let us know what you think!

pcmodeler
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 104
    RE: BBE Plugin, anyone used this. 2005/06/03 12:09:21 (permalink)
    Well, it can be applied to everything but you have to be careful as too much of a good thing........ Personally, I would apply it to the overall mix only. I primarily use it in a live situation.

I don't know if the plug in has a display, but even the hardware versions don't. Just a level showing the amount of processing happening (similar to a compressor display).
    dudemanjch
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 584
    RE: BBE Plugin, anyone used this. 2005/06/04 17:11:55 (permalink)
    i have used sonic maximizer by BBE in GTPro before.

basically, what it does is "excites the harmonics," so the more you apply the effect, it makes the harmonics stick out more, making the instrument stick out more. The more tracks you apply it to, the more it tends to lost its effect b/c every track is now "sticking out"

i used it mainly on vocals and some ac guitar for softer tracks. A tad on the main output also can help make the mix sparkle a wee bit.

Debut Album, all in SONAR!

Listen:
    Soundclick
    MySpace

Support:
    Facebook Fan Page

Purchase:
    iTunes
    Amazon.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1