BCF-2000 Footswitch question

Author
agincourtdb
Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4753
2005/02/06 10:44:29 (permalink)

BCF-2000 Footswitch question

Using Sonar 4 Producer, with the BCF-2000 as a controller, trying to record my own vocals in another (quieter) room.

I want to be able to control 'record on' (also starting playback) and 'record off' (also stopping playback), using a footswitch or footswitches. My problem as of now is that while a footswitch in the A (switch) jack starts record (with playback), on triggering again, it stops recording *without* stopping playback.

The B jack is labelled 'controller' and doesn't work with my run of the mill MPM ps-25 footswitch. Do I need a different type of footswitch? Maybe, is there a way to set Sonar so it also stops playback on record off? (There has to be, I'm gonna look for that as soon as I post this.) Either way I'd like to know if I need to buy a different pedal to use in the B ('controller') jack.

Any help would be appreciated :-)

The 'workflow' difficulty will be solved by the Frontier Designs Tranzport I'm going to buy when it is released. (wireless, 'operates through walls' full transport capability, claims to work with SONAR) till then I'd like to be able to work with what I've got.

5 Replies Related Threads

Godfrey
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: BCF-2000 Footswitch question 2005/02/06 12:32:21 (permalink)
    Hmmm, that's a tough one!

By assigning a note (C0) as the MIDI "shift", and C#0 as the Transport|Record toggle, then assigning C0 to one of the buttons on my BCF2000 and C#0 to the footswitch, I can get it to start/stop -- but it only works as long as I'm physically holding down the shift button; there's no way that I can see to prevent it from sending the "Note Off" when I release the button, like there is for CC messages. And if I map a CC message as the shift, it takes it out of recording mode but doesn't stop playback, as you're seeing.

So I guess I didn't really help very much, but perhaps there's a way to suppress transmission of the Note Off from the BCF2000?
    agincourtdb
    RE: BCF-2000 Footswitch question 2005/02/06 13:22:32 (permalink)
    Well, the thing is, using the mackie control mode and all, I should be able to set switch A to record and Switch B to stop, and do it that way (two switches, no waiting lol) But the controller that works plugged into the A jack doesn't work plugged into the B jack. As if the B jack was expecting some other *kind* of signal. Polarity on the footswitch didn't affect it. I hope it's not a bad jack.

I'm gonna try a couple other footswitches (I have a sustain and expression hooked to my midi controller keyboard)

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: BCF-2000 Footswitch question 2005/02/06 15:23:36 (permalink)
    I have my Mackie Control setup that way and it works perfectly. I use 2 tascam rc 30p footswitchs. 1 is set to record the other is set to play/stop. Hitting the play/stop one will toggle the transport to the other state. If it is playing it will stop. The same is true for the record hitting it will toggle it on or off with stop.

Best
    John
    agincourtdb
    RE: BCF-2000 Footswitch question 2005/02/06 15:35:24 (permalink)
    Yeah, but I'm using the BCF-2000 in mackie control emulation mode, not an actual MC.

My problem is, I can see how to set it up like you have your MCU and pedals, but it doesn't work for me because none of the pedals I've got (2 sustain type and 1 volume/expression type) seems to work on the B 'controller' jack of the BCF. So, do I need a specific type of pedal for that jack (so, my question to you would be is the Tascam pedal different from a standard sustan-type footswitch? If so, then that might just be the answer I'm looking for.)

I also don't see why the upstroke of 'Record' isn't 'stop', or why there isn't a way to set it to do that...

agincourtdb
    RE: BCF-2000 Footswitch question 2005/02/06 16:15:54 (permalink)
    From Behringer's website

Question :

Why does the BCF2000 feature a control pedal input where the BCR2000 has a second footswitch input ?

Answer:

the principle idea behind the control pedal input in the BCF2000 is as follows :

The BCF2000 is more suited to applications where continuous control is more important (fader movements, volume). The pedal can be configured to function as a "9th Fader" - e.g. as master volume or additional drawbar for organists.

The BCR2000 is more suited to applications where fixed values are more important, (encoder to select the value, key to input). For such applications the second footswitch would make more sense - eg to trigger start /stop, I/O, program changes etc.

So I guess I can't do it the way I want to until I get the Frontier Designs Transport. Unless there's a way to set up using two computer keyboards. Then I could just hit the spacebar to stop.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1