BFD2 not opening inside X3 as a plug in. HELP PLEASE!

Author
earlus
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2014/07/30 09:15:37 (permalink)

BFD2 not opening inside X3 as a plug in. HELP PLEASE!

Hello,

I've just upgraded my PC, bought SonarX3, done a fresh install and am having problems opening BFD2 as a plugin inside Sonar. Both SonarX3 and BFD2 work perfectly in stand alone operation, but its when I try to open BFD2 inside Sonar it will cause Sonar to crash.

I have installed Sonar on C:
I have installed BFD2, Deluxe Expansion Pack & Platinum Samples Andy John expansion pack. The program is installed on C:, but the data files are installed on a separate E:.

I previously used BFD2 with Sonar version 5 and it worked perfectly, but I cant get it configured in the latest version of Sonar.

I have contacted Sonar tech support and they suggested that the problem most likely resides in C++ files and suggested that I uninstall/reinstall them, to which I have done and the problem is still there. I contacted Sonar tech support again and they have said that the problem most likely resides with BFD2 being an old discontinued program and I should upgrade to BFD3 or use Session Drummer which comes included with SonarX3. I'm not interested in using Session Drummer.

I'm not opposed to upgrading to BFD3, but if BFD2 is not causing the problem and this purely a configuration thing I'd rather sort for now and upgrade to BFD3 at a later time.

Also, when I try to open BFD2 inside it comes up with the same msg every time " You have not specified any data paths", to which I go through the process of directing Sonar to the correct folder on my E:. I know it is the correct location as I confirm this in BFD2 properties.

Is there anyone out there using BFD2 successfully with X3?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Earl

6 Replies Related Threads

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: BFD2 not opening inside X3 as a plug in. HELP PLEASE! 2014/07/30 09:52:27 (permalink)
    I am just trying to get a better picture in my head of your configuration, so please bear with me.

1.  Is Sonar installed in 64-bit mode?

2.  Is BFD2 installed in 64-bit mode?

3.  Here is a link from the web site for BFD2: http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=53

Perhaps that is something you could look at doing, if you haven't already.

IF you are attempting to run an older version of BFD2 as a 32-bit module, within a 64-bit Sonar, you then need to use a piece of bridging software to allow it to run.  Sonar comes with such a bridging application, and it is called BitBridge.  Please note that it does not fix ALL situations for all 32-bit modules to enable them to run in 64-bit Sonar.  It MAY work, or it MAY not.

For the cases where BitBridge does not allow a particular 32-bit plugin to run properly in 64-bit Sonar, there is another piece of bridging software, called J-Bridge, and it may or may not work either, but some folks have reported it working for certain 32-bit plugins, so this is another potential way to go.

In the link I posted above, the makers oif BFD2 DID release a 64-bit compatible version of BFD2, so I would start there.

Please note, that some of the discussion I reviewed ALSO indicated a reliance on particular levels of C and C++ routines needing to be in place for the software to run properly, so I encourage you to apply ALL recommended updates for your version of Windows, until it finally tells you there are no more updates to apply.  This way, you head that error condition off at the pass.

Good luck, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    millzy
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 890
    Re: BFD2 not opening inside X3 as a plug in. HELP PLEASE! 2014/07/31 00:31:58 (permalink)
    Firstly, I can confirm BFD2 works perfectly here in X3e.

When you say you are having problems opening it as a plugin, you are trying to insert it as a soft synth right?

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
    MFanning
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 205
    Re: BFD2 not opening inside X3 as a plug in. HELP PLEASE! 2014/07/31 11:07:45 (permalink)
    BFD2 works great for me in X3e with a 64-bit Windows 8 Daw
    earlus
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: BFD2 not opening inside X3 as a plug in. HELP PLEASE! 2014/07/31 20:47:50 (permalink)
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

robert_e_bone
    I am just trying to get a better picture in my head of your configuration, so please bear with me.

1.  Is Sonar installed in 64-bit mode?

2.  Is BFD2 installed in 64-bit mode?

3.  Here is a link from the web site for BFD2: 

Perhaps that is something you could look at doing, if you haven't already.

IF you are attempting to run an older version of BFD2 as a 32-bit module, within a 64-bit Sonar, you then need to use a piece of bridging software to allow it to run.  Sonar comes with such a bridging application, and it is called BitBridge.  Please note that it does not fix ALL situations for all 32-bit modules to enable them to run in 64-bit Sonar.  It MAY work, or it MAY not.

For the cases where BitBridge does not allow a particular 32-bit plugin to run properly in 64-bit Sonar, there is another piece of bridging software, called J-Bridge, and it may or may not work either, but some folks have reported it working for certain 32-bit plugins, so this is another potential way to go.

In the link I posted above, the makers oif BFD2 DID release a 64-bit compatible version of BFD2, so I would start there.

Please note, that some of the discussion I reviewed ALSO indicated a reliance on particular levels of C and C++ routines needing to be in place for the software to run properly, so I encourage you to apply ALL recommended updates for your version of Windows, until it finally tells you there are no more updates to apply.  This way, you head that error condition off at the pass.

I am using Win 7 32bit. I assume by default this means therefore I am running both Sonar and BFD2 in 32 bit mode and do you think if I was running in Win7 64bit and running in 64 bit mode I wouldn't have these problems?

I'll also go to Microsoft's site on the weekend when I get a chance to look over this and do all recommended updates.

millzy
    Firstly, I can confirm BFD2 works perfectly here in X3e.

When you say you are having problems opening it as a plugin, you are trying to insert it as a soft synth right?

Yes, trying to insert as soft synth. This is a strange one for me though.. On my old setup with Sonar 5 and BFD2 I would setup a midi track and open BFD2 as soft synth for that track and Sonar5 would play the midi drum track and access the BFD2 sounds. Now when I open old files that I have saved this way, Sonar will not allow me to open BFD2 as a soft synth for a midi track. It only attempts to open if I try to insert BFD2 as a soft synth on to an audio file and then Sonar crashes as discussed. I hope that makes sense.

Best Regards,  

Earl
    millzy
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 890
    Re: BFD2 not opening inside X3 as a plug in. HELP PLEASE! 2014/07/31 22:45:57 (permalink)
    Yes, trying to insert as soft synth. This is a strange one for me though.. On my old setup with Sonar 5 and BFD2 I would setup a midi track and open BFD2 as soft synth for that track and Sonar5 would play the midi drum track and access the BFD2 sounds. Now when I open old files that I have saved this way, Sonar will not allow me to open BFD2 as a soft synth for a midi track. It only attempts to open if I try to insert BFD2 as a soft synth on to an audio file and then Sonar crashes as discussed. I hope that makes sense.

I'm kind of following you, but I dont understand when you say you're trying to insert it 'onto' an audio track or you 'setup a midi track' then open BFD2 for that track. You shouldn't have to set up any track first. Just select Insert/Soft Synth/VST2 (or wherever you've installed it)/BFD2. You will then get an options dialogue asking how you want to configure things. If you're not used to Simple Instrument Tracks (not sure if they were in Sonar 5 yet?) just check the Midi Source and Synth Output box you want then hit OK. It will insert both midi and audio tracks for BFD2. Not sure if that helps, but from what I'm reading it sounds like you're trying to set something up first before you insert it.

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
    Splat
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: BFD2 not opening inside X3 as a plug in. HELP PLEASE! 2014/08/01 10:07:50 (permalink)
    Unless your PC specs are really low or you have hardware that insists on 32 bit drivers you should be running 64 bit windows.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1