BOTH digital ports? SPDIF and ADAT used simultaniously?

Author
yummay
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 396
2010/10/16 09:52:18 (permalink)

BOTH digital ports? SPDIF and ADAT used simultaniously?

Hello!

When i'm working with my Yamaha 01V96 V2 I would like to use all of my digital inputs and outputs... so the ADAT ports WITH the SPDIF...

I'm using a PROFIRE LIGHTBRIDGE (adat and SPDIF available...)

The problem is that the 01V96 always displays a SYNC ERROR MESSAGE. I have not found a way yet to tell the Yamaha to bother about only ONE clock.

Tried the Yamaha using both modes (MASTER or SLAVE)...

Is wordclock (BNC) the only way to get good sync for all digital ports?

Thanks!

Yummay,
Amuses-gueules sonores
Bite-sized sounds and harmonic entrées

Dell Studio 1747 (I7), Tascam US20x20, Yamaha 01v96V2 / Behringer ADA 8000, Godin LGXT+ Roland GR-09, Behringer Motor 49. Windows 10 (64), Sonar Platinum, Komplete 10, Sound Forge 10, Vegas pro 9, Waves Gold.

5 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re:BOTH digital ports? SPDIF and ADAT used simultaniously? 2010/10/16 19:38:21 (permalink)
    Hi yummay I am a Yamaha 01V mixer user and this is of course a previous model to yours but I will try to help the best I can. And if what I say is incorrect it could be due the fact that they may have made some serious changes in your model so please correct me.

The signal flow of the mixer shows the SPDIF output of the mixer is just a mirror of the main stereo output. So it is only good for recording the final stereo mix out from your mixer. The ADAT output of course is much more powerful and the 8 outs can be routed to almost anything. I use the ADAT output to record the final mixer stereo mix. I just assign the direct ADAT outs on 7/8 to the stereo mix instead of channels 7/8 and 15/16, busses etc.. I tell the Sonar track to receive its input from ASIO 7/8 Stereo of course.

I assume you have got the ADAT IN on the mixer connected to the ADAT outs from your interface. In the SETUP page on the mixer I just assign the mixer to be a slave and get its clock info from the ADAT IN and I leave it there most of the time and it seems to be very happy. That way the mixer is happy and does not show any messages about sync error. (One thing I dont like about those mixers is that they can often go silent while it is not happy as to which clock to lock to. That can fool you!)

The SPDIF IN on the Yamaha mixer is another story. Normally it goes straight through to the SPDIF OUT (along with the mixer stereo outs) but as you know you can flip that over to channels 13/14 (on mine anyway) Now I have setup a completely second DAW that is totally separate from my main one. I am running a Mac Laptop with Logic and using an M AUDIO controller to control it. This Mac has also got Pro Tools on it and I am using an M Box. I am connecting the M Box SPDIF OUT now direct to the SPDIF on my soundcard IN.

I was using the MBox SPDIF OUT  to connect to the Yamaha mixer SPDIF IN direct for a while but the Yamaha mixer decided that it wanted to lock its clock to that instead of the ADAT input. But you can do that. Lock the Yamaha mixer to the clock it wants to lock to. If you do this then your mixer is now in slave mode and then your soundcard should go into slave mode as well. (In your setup I would imagine the mixer also being in slave mode and locked to the ADAT digital IN, is that right)

I think it is important to make sure the mixer is locked and happy and not giving you any sync error messages. Do what it takes for that to happen. Maybe if you could do a diagram of your signal flow and either post it or PM it to me I might be able to figure out what the best signal flow might be for your case.

Wordclock might be the correct solution in your case. My setup is simpler and I can avoid it but your setup may require it after all.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:BOTH digital ports? SPDIF and ADAT used simultaniously? 2010/10/16 20:42:19 (permalink)
    I'm using a PROFIRE LIGHTBRIDGE (adat and SPDIF available...)

sorry, I can't comment on your questions.

The Profire is new to me and was curious about it as I have been looking for an audio card with adat solution, to use with my digital mixer (Panasonic DA7). Is this a firewire interface? 

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:BOTH digital ports? SPDIF and ADAT used simultaniously? 2010/10/17 12:30:40 (permalink)
    I too have the older oV1
    I don't have an ADAT card but I do use the S/PDIF without a problem.
    Your idea should work. You should be able to send 10 digital outs.
    I would think that by panning and bus assignment using the 4 Aux sends it would give you 10.
    But there might be an issue with word clock when you use both ADAT and S/PDIF at the same time. Normaly the word clock can sync via the S/PDIF or the ADAT but might have to use the BNC
    system in this case.
    I'd be interested if you can make this work as I was hoping to pick up a ADAT card someday. If the old girl lives that long.

I get great help from a man named Ronnie Morris at the Yahoo user group. There is also a Yahoo users group for your mixer so if no one here has an answer you might try that. If you want I could dig up the link.

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:BOTH digital ports? SPDIF and ADAT used simultaniously? 2010/10/17 12:49:15 (permalink)

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

yummay
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 396
    Re:BOTH digital ports? SPDIF and ADAT used simultaniously? 2010/10/17 14:39:22 (permalink)
    Hello all!

Thanks for all the replies. For the record, I can use all the ADAT ports with SONAR without any problems... (other than the problems that my DELL studio laptop is causing I mean...). This firewire interface is a pretty good multitrack i/o solution. (I assigned the DIRECT OUTS of my 01V to the ADAT PORTS...)

THe only problem I have is really to use BOTH the SPDIF and ADAT ports without a sync error message.

I'll try to "lock" the Yamaha, as suggested... but after a quick search, I did not find where to "lock" (or, in other words, tell the 01v to stop searching for another source when ADAT is selected...)

I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

Yummay,
    Amuses-gueules sonores
    Bite-sized sounds and harmonic entrées

Dell Studio 1747 (I7), Tascam US20x20, Yamaha 01v96V2 / Behringer ADA 8000, Godin LGXT+ Roland GR-09, Behringer Motor 49. Windows 10 (64), Sonar Platinum, Komplete 10, Sound Forge 10, Vegas pro 9, Waves Gold.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1