Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
egervari
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 318
2008/12/23 03:52:41 (permalink)

BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine"

Hey everyone,

Here's a rough mix of a new song I did. It's called "About A Girl Named Sunshine". The volumes in some spots are wrong. I dunno about EQ since my ears have listened too many times. Feedback appreciated!

Listen Here:
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7173778

My Latest Give it a listen and rate it please!
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7908838

My Music:
http://www.soundclick.com/KenEgervari

Specs:
Software: Sonar 7 Producer
Audio Interface: Edirol FA-66
Mic: Shure SM81
Guitar: Seagull Performer Mini-Jumbo

50 Replies Related Threads

MikeTSH
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 491
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/23 05:53:56 (permalink)
    Drums are too far back in the mix, they need to be bought up and have more punch to them to make it really stand out. I like the wah I can hear in the background, it's nice. Probably a TAD too much reverb for my taste, but definitely one of the best rough mixes to come through here. You are right, volume is bad in spots, slap a limiter on the master bus and add a little bit more compression the strumming and a fair bit to the lead seeing as the lead needs to be a consisant level cos it's the thing people will be listening to the most. Eq off a little high on the strumming. Other than that, good work =]
    jake11375
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 221
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/23 09:07:09 (permalink)
    I agree with the comment above on the reverb, and what you mentioned about volume variations, but other than that, you've got a great song. You do some great acoustic work my friend... keep it up.

JOSEPH-

Sonar X1 PE-64 | Win 7 Ult-64 | Intel i5-650 3.2Ghz | 16GB PC3 12800 | 1TB / 500GB HDD | Studiologic SL990 XP | Behringer UMX61 | | AP 2496

SOUNDCLICK (Studio J) 
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/23 09:25:35 (permalink)
    Basically ........I like your work here........I like the sound you are getting on that acoustic.......I am struggling to get a good sound myself........so good job there...
    I am listening on ear buds so my judgemnet my be a little scewed.....
    I think that your opening rhythm acoustic guitar is a Little choppy.....you straightened it out several measures into it and that part sounds good........I think that the Wah is a nice tastful addition..........your melodic line is good.........the volumes did not bother me as much as the balance of the instruments did........I think you carved out space for each rather well.......now just balance them a little more.......also your guitars sound too far in the background....bring them forward.......eq slightly off the top.....SLIGHTLY not a lot because you do not want to slose that nice airy ness of them.......after you bring the guitars forward a little then you will need to do the same with the drums..................

then let's have a noter listen.........
    but all in all .......a very enjoyable composition to listen to...........

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/23 10:52:36 (permalink)
    Thanks so much for the feedback. You're totally right - the reverb was terrible. It's amazing how working on a song can dampen the effects of various things after so many listens. LOL. I fixed the reverb and some volume issues really quick. I will have to fix more when I get home around 5-6pm tonight.

With the reverb cuts, does it sound closer already? What would I need to do to fix the closeness of the everything?

My Music:

Specs:
    egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/23 20:55:41 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MikeTSH

Drums are too far back in the mix, they need to be bought up and have more punch to them to make it really stand out. I like the wah I can hear in the background, it's nice. Probably a TAD too much reverb for my taste, but definitely one of the best rough mixes to come through here. You are right, volume is bad in spots, slap a limiter on the master bus and add a little bit more compression the strumming and a fair bit to the lead seeing as the lead needs to be a consisant level cos it's the thing people will be listening to the most. Eq off a little high on the strumming. Other than that, good work =]

Thanks for the feedback man! Yeah, when I heard the reverb in the morning, it sounded like I recorded the acoustics sitting on my toilet in my bathroom!

I lowered the volume a tad of the rhythm guitars. They are actually quite compressed on their own due to good mic placement, etc. I compressed the lead like you suggested, and volume-automated certain spots. Sounds much better now! Thanks!

I also took some 8k+ range off the guitars. It sounds good to me, but take more off? I'm not sure. Give it a listen.

There was already a limiter being used (waves l3-ll) slammed at 9.0db threshold with 0.1db limit. If I slam it anymore, it'll distort the sound :(

Thanks so much for the feedback man! The song sounds much better now.

My Music:

Specs:
    egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/23 21:00:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Truckermusic

Basically ........I like your work here........I like the sound you are getting on that acoustic.......I am struggling to get a good sound myself........so good job there...
    I think that your opening rhythm acoustic guitar is a Little choppy.....you straightened it out several measures into it and that part sounds good........I think that the Wah is a nice tastful addition..........your melodic line is good.........the volumes did not bother me as much as the balance of the instruments did........I think you carved out space for each rather well.......now just balance them a little more.......also your guitars sound too far in the background....bring them forward.......eq slightly off the top.....SLIGHTLY not a lot because you do not want to slose that nice airy ness of them.......after you bring the guitars forward a little then you will need to do the same with the drums..................

Cliff

Thanks for the feedback cliff! Give it another listen - I think I made lots of changes to improve it. I think that lousy over-saturation of reverb created the image that a lot of problems were present in the mix that really weren't.

As for the acoustic sound... I can give some tips

1. Use a good guitar ;)

2. Mic placement is important. Point it 6 or 8 or 10 inches away from the guitar, pointing towards the 12-14th fret. Don't make it too far because you don't want to pick up too much reverb - you will add that later. Make sure pointing away from the sound hole to avoid lots of bass frequency.

3. Buy elixer strings ;) Man, these strings are the best acoustic strings I have ever used. Nanoweb sound great pretty much "out of the box" with little EQ required. Polyweb is better for recording though because it doesn't make noises when you slide. So with polyweb, you need to EQ a lot more in the 2k, 5k and even 10k.

4. Use new strings for recordings. If they are dead - even coated ones that are kind of dead - just replace them.

5. Use a good mic. I use the Shure SM81, which is amazing for just 300 bucks. If you're using a junky mic, try this one. Also, don't use the mic filters - it sounds like trash ;) EQ afterwards.

6. Remember, junk in -> junk out. Try and get all these right so you have very little mixing work to do.

Hope that helps!
    post edited by egervari - 2008/12/23 21:06:28

My Music:

Specs:
    egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/23 21:02:37 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jake11375

I agree with the comment above on the reverb, and what you mentioned about volume variations, but other than that, you've got a great song. You do some great acoustic work my friend... keep it up.

Thanks man! Appreciate the kind words!

My Music:

Specs:
    Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 01:14:26 (permalink)
    I only heard it after you tweaked it. Sounds good to me! I like what you did here.
    egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 07:59:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mamabear

I only heard it after you tweaked it. Sounds good to me! I like what you did here.

Thanks!

My Music:

Specs:
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 08:00:25 (permalink)
    quote:

ORIGINAL: Truckermusic

Cliff

Thanks for the feedback cliff! Give it another listen - I think I made lots of changes to improve it. I think that lousy over-saturation of reverb created the image that a lot of problems were present in the mix that really weren't.

As for the acoustic sound... I can give some tips

1. Use a good guitar ;)

2. Mic placement is important. Point it 6 or 8 or 10 inches away from the guitar, pointing towards the 12-14th fret. Don't make it too far because you don't want to pick up too much reverb - you will add that later. Make sure pointing away from the sound hole to avoid lots of bass frequency.

3. Buy elixer strings ;) Man, these strings are the best acoustic strings I have ever used. Nanoweb sound great pretty much "out of the box" with little EQ required. Polyweb is better for recording though because it doesn't make noises when you slide. So with polyweb, you need to EQ a lot more in the 2k, 5k and even 10k.

4. Use new strings for recordings. If they are dead - even coated ones that are kind of dead - just replace them.

5. Use a good mic. I use the Shure SM81, which is amazing for just 300 bucks. If you're using a junky mic, try this one. Also, don't use the mic filters - it sounds like trash ;) EQ afterwards.

6. Remember, junk in -> junk out. Try and get all these right so you have very little mixing work to do.

Hope that helps!

Ken
    I took a second listen..........this is a much improved version over the one I heard yesterday........Instrumentation seems to be more up front..by reducing your reveb like you did it helped out a lot.........the question and answer between the acoustic and electric is more apparent and very enjoyable........good job.......

as far as the recording acoustic guitar....
    i do have a pretty nice acoustic...it is a sepcial edition Takimine with stika spruce top with indian rosewood sides.........the sound hole rosetta has a wood inlay around it (they offer up new ones every year on this model) and it plays and sound really nice.....
    Yes I do change strings for every recording....I use a light ga. phosper bronze D'addario set I think the ga is a 10 gauge..........never tried the coated type
    the mike I have is a Rode NTK-1A (I think).......it's a large diaphram condenser type with a three position bass roll off switch, a three position pick up pattern switch and a Pad switch.....it is a very nice mike...........
    I really think that it is my placement and the distance that are the factors I am struggling with........

but I thnk you for the tips.......

again.........very nice job on the work.........I should have a new one up on the board in a few weeks.........I'm in the middle of it right now........

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 10:08:00 (permalink)
    Hi Cliff,

I hope my tips were helpful. Since I didn't know what your setup was, I just tried to cover all the basics.

I think your strings could easily be part of the problem. .10 gauge is very, very light... and you're not going to get that deep, resonate sound with such a light set of strings. It might be good for soloing, but I think part of what makes a good acoustic sound is something deep. In fact, I would suggest getting a gauge that is the thickest you are possibly comfortable with. The thicker, the better. I'd only use a .10 on a 12-string. Go for .12, .13, or even a mix better the two.

As for mic position, the mic needs to be somewhere in between the sound hole and the 12th fret, but pointing towards the 12/14th fret - away from the sound hole. You want to find the position where you can strum the hell out of your guitar or pick notes and automatically get a good compression without having to use a compressor (I hope that makes sense). Of course you'll need to do more compression, but if the source is really balanced, you won't have to slam your compressor and ruin the sound. Over-compression - or even moderate compression - of acoustic guitars is one way to do more damage than actually help.

Also, don't be afraid to experiment with the position of where the mic points up or down too. Mine is on an angle and points upwards rather than downwards. This sounds better for me. Some people actually have their mic hang over top and point downwards. I would try a bunch of different ways and compare to find "your" mic position that matches your guitar sound/strings/playing style.

I'm guessing your guitar and mic itself is fine. I haven't tried very many mic's, but the SM81 was my personal favourite - so if you were using a $100 or cheaper mic, I'd say go buy an SM81 right away. Two would be better, but I was more on a budget. My entire hardware setup is about $600 bucks. Pretty modest.

I hope my suggestions help with the mic placements. Thanks again for the feedback on the song!

My Music:

Specs:
    tyacko
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 10:40:10 (permalink)
    egervari,

Nice song and guitar work. Are you rolling off the low-end on the guitars (not bass)? If not, I'd suggest rolling off anything below 100 hz and lower. That will free up some space for the drums and bass to sit in.

Very well done song, just seemed to have a bit of the muddiness in that lower register that I think you can clear up pretty easily.

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

Our SoundClick page

ASUS P9X79 PRO, Intel i7 3930K, 32gig RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws, RME Babyface USB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, UAD-2, Intel 510 120gig SSD Drive, Win7 64-bit, Sonar X1E 64-bit, Studio One V2 
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 10:55:56 (permalink)

My listen was on 12/24. Timing is what got me. The meter flucuates
    so much. Using a click track and sticking to it would solve that situation.
    Playing ahead of the virtual "beat" is ok at the right place but its done
    all over this tune.

Now the good news is I hear a super good start here. I really do like
    it. If it were mine I'd smooth out the timing and put in a fretles bass.

Thats what I was listening to it as an Man I went wow! In my ears
    all that songs needs is those 3 instruments.

Very Good!
    egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 10:59:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tyacko

egervari,

Nice song and guitar work. Are you rolling off the low-end on the guitars (not bass)? If not, I'd suggest rolling off anything below 100 hz and lower. That will free up some space for the drums and bass to sit in.

Very well done song, just seemed to have a bit of the muddiness in that lower register that I think you can clear up pretty easily.

Thanks for sharing,
    Tom

LOL. Man, I am laughing so hard!

Tom, you got a great ear. What happened was that I did roll of 78hz off the rhythm guitars... BUT, I forgot to engage the HP Filter button - it was set to OFF! HAHahaha...

You have a good ear man. Rolling off the acoustics is an "auto" thing for me and I made an error. Totally my bad. I'm so glad that you caught that!

I'm uploaded a remix as we speak ;) Thanks for your kind words about the song!
    post edited by egervari - 2008/12/24 11:01:46

My Music:

Specs:
    egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 11:05:50 (permalink)
    Hrm, I'm not really hearing the timing problem :( I do use a click track actually, and I think my natural instinct for timing is pretty good. Maybe I just need to move a few parts by a few milliseconds to be perfect? I didn't really go for that amount of perfection. I don't have the patience ;)

Care to share what parts exactly? I'm not sure because when I listen, it sounds fine. I am not a sound engineer, or a pro musician by any means, so maybe that's why.

My Music:

Specs:
    jimmyman
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 11:55:31 (permalink)

Hey egervari

I spend so many hours at the mix desk that my ears become so
    well i dont know what it is. Even a little small click or something in
    a song will stick out at me.

Things annoy me that dont other people. I really really do like
    this tune. with that said I'll be blunt.

The performance sounds like real pro's but the timing sounds like
    a garage band. In my ears it don't make sense. I ask myself, how can
    this be? These guys are such pro's at their instruments.

It might be that the exitment is dominating the control over sticking
    to the beat. I personaly have this problem with my vocals. I either
    sing to far in front of the beat and it sounds way choppy or I try and
    adjust it and it sounds like I've had way too many beers.

Maybe something else is making me hear this. It might need smoothing
    out the attack. I love compression when its done well but I dont like
    hearing comppresion in itself so I'm not advocationing compression.

I try to make first time assumptions on rating a tune or mix. I have found this when it comes to my stuff:

I'll spend 8 hours at the desk mixing or mastering and go man thats it.
    the next day it absolutly "sucks" Why? Two reasons. the next day I here
    it for what it is. after 8 hours of listening to it i here it as how it has
    become.

I don't mind so much being a critiquer for someone because I slam
    myself into the gound when it comes to this. I'm the first to say
    my own work stinks!

I really has a passion for engineering mixing and mastering and producing. At 54 I've come a long way so maybe my ears are at least
    somewhat trained.

Its hard for me to listen to my stuff for what it can be but easy to
    listen to others for what it can be. I dont know why. Maybe its because I'm not so involved with others stuff.

Or maybe its because a third party hears it differrently. Maybe its
    because i spend so much time producing etc.

But again I really do like it. I could't really say what might tweak it
    out of what I'm hearing without more reaserach into it.

I'll try working on it here in my studio and see what I come up with.
    That way I can find out if I'm any good at tweaking someone else's
    stuff.

Jimmy
    jimmyman
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 12:23:34 (permalink)

hey egevary

I went back and listened a second time.

I counted 1 2 3 4 Like counting to the beat. The instruments were
    playing ahead of my count. I sped up my count and the instruments were
    behind the beat now. I couldn't lock my count into the beat of the song.
    it isnt at any particular place its all throughout

I might know what it is. it aint attack that sounds very good

With four beats per measure you can rush things a bit for say the first
    two beats. Waiting for the begining of the next measure to start
    "rushing per say" is the hardest thing to do because that "Waiting"
    also cause problems.

Is your mix done or can it be recorded? This is a facter. If it can be
    rerecorded try this.let the third beat of every measure sustain.
    go easy on the third beat.

Oh no wait a minut! I figured it out

Your playing the guitar with a strong 1'8th note triplet feel and the drummers is playing with a four four feel. the drummer sometimes trys to adjust to your triplet feel but doesnt stick with it and its clashing.

Thats what i'm hearing its not timing after all. well in a way it is

jimmy
    tcaylor
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 701
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 12:28:33 (permalink)
    Ken,

I really like your stuff. You had posted a sample of acoustic guitar on another thread and I thought that was great. I like this but not as much. I think one of the problems for me was that there were too many things going on in the beginning. I wasn't sure of the identity of the song until about a minute in. I'm sure this is just me. I do have to agree with Jimmy on the timing issues though I wouldn't have said "garage band" :)

Still, a good song, I look forward to hearing more of your songs, you have a nice sense of melody and arrangement.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
    HeavyTRAFFIK
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 362
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 12:38:05 (permalink)
    The performance on this song is very good. I agree with most of the posters that the guitars are just a bit overpowering and masking the drums and bass. Lots of helpful tips being offered up here. I think you'll be on the right track after trying some of them out. Again, nice song and nice guitar playing. Thanks for sharing!
    egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 12:50:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jimmyman

hey egevary

I went back and listened a second time.

I counted 1 2 3 4 Like counting to the beat. The instruments were
    playing ahead of my count. I sped up my count and the instruments were
    behind the beat now. I couldn't lock my count into the beat of the song.
    it isnt at any particular place its all throughout

I might know what it is. it aint attack that sounds very good

With four beats per measure you can rush things a bit for say the first
    two beats. Waiting for the begining of the next measure to start
    "rushing per say" is the hardest thing to do because that "Waiting"
    also cause problems.

Is your mix done or can it be recorded? This is a facter. If it can be
    rerecorded try this.let the third beat of every measure sustain.
    go easy on the third beat.

Oh no wait a minut! I figured it out

Your playing the guitar with a strong 1'8th note triplet feel and the drummers is playing with a four four feel. the drummer sometimes trys to adjust to your triplet feel but doesnt stick with it and its clashing.

Thats what i'm hearing its not timing after all. well in a way it is

jimmy

Wow, you got a great ear. I still don't notice it... I've been listening very intently with headphones. My brain is different though - I'm a natural top-down thinker... I am great at seeing the big picture, or conducting strategy. Even when I'm in social settings, I am not really aware of the details in the environment, but I get a good intuitive sense of it. This is probably the reason why I am absorbed in the overall sound and not the details of the timing.

The drum timing is intentional. I can obviously go back and re-program it (this is not a real drummer - this is ezdrummer with the nashville kit. I guess it's good that you didn't know!). The off timing with the snare gave it energy and movement and feel to me.

Now about my leads and the waiting period before a new 'chunk' - I can totally see how that might be a problem. The lead is not 1 giant take like the rhythm section.

Honestly, I pieced together the melody in a very ad-hoc fashion, mainly because before I start, I don't know how it's going to come out. So, the melody is recorded in 30-40 second chunks and there are about 4 or 5 of them total. I constantly try new things and record them all and move them around like a puzzle.

I took great to make sure the mic position and my guitar were in the exact same spot for all takes. Now that I have a melody, I just have to memorize the entire line and re-record it. Do you think it would really make the song that much better?

Thanks for really looking into it. You definitely have a much better sense of music than I do. I'll be perfectly honest - I don't know hardly any music theory, I never took lessons, I learned entirely by ear... hell, I couldn't even really tell you the timings, patterns, notes or anything that I'm doing. I just go by feeling and intuition...
    post edited by egervari - 2008/12/24 12:54:19

My Music:

Specs:
    egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 13:02:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tcaylor

Ken,

I really like your stuff. You had posted a sample of acoustic guitar on another thread and I thought that was great. I like this but not as much. I think one of the problems for me was that there were too many things going on in the beginning. I wasn't sure of the identity of the song until about a minute in. I'm sure this is just me. I do have to agree with Jimmy on the timing issues though I wouldn't have said "garage band" :)

Still, a good song, I look forward to hearing more of your songs, you have a nice sense of melody and arrangement.

Wow, I didn't think of that. To me, the whole song is one continuous loop from listening, so my mind is easily biased... as in, I already know what the identity and character of the song is. Thanks for that.

What advice would you specifically suggest that would help you get the character of the song in the first 15-20 seconds? (I'm not sure).

Oh, and thanks for the comments! Definitely appreciated!

My Music:

Specs:
    jimmyman
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 13:12:43 (permalink)
    I do have to agree with Jimmy on the timing issues though I wouldn't have said "garage band" :)

Man I knew I shouldn't have said garage band! When I post something
    you can tell me to not quit my day job :)

and masking the drums and bass

Have I gone deaf? What bass? Call me an ear docter!
    Bass frequencys or bass guitar?

Again I think a lot of this song and its potenteil. Getting an acoustic
    to sound this good is an acomplishment in itself.

tcaylor
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 701
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 14:48:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: egervari

What advice would you specifically suggest that would help you get the character of the song in the first 15-20 seconds? (I'm not sure).

Ken,

One of the things that's really easy to like about you is your passion to make everything better. I see this in your posts in the techniques section. All you have to do now is sift through all the advice and determine which changes accomplish this goal and which ones compromise the essence of the tune. I'm certainly no expert and share your quest for improvement.

That said, I would simply allow the acoustic guitar rhythm, bass and drums to play for 1-2 measures before starting the solos or only have one instrument to play a melody over the rhythm until the song's foundation is solid to the listener. But don't overcompensate in the other direction by playing the rhythm too long before you begin adding interest either by orchestration or rhythmic variations. One method to check whether you've actually accomplished this is to NOT listen to the song for a day or two, then listen to it as the first song of the day.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
    jimmyman
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 15:28:21 (permalink)

One of the things that's really easy to like about you is your passion to make everything better. I see this in your posts in the techniques section. All you have to do now is sift through all the advice and determine which changes accomplish this goal and which ones compromise the essence of the tune. I'm certainly no expert and share your quest for improvement.

Hey Tcaylor

That is very well said.

egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 16:49:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tcaylor

ORIGINAL: egervari

Ken,

That said, I would simply allow the acoustic guitar rhythm, bass and drums to play for 1-2 measures before starting the solos or only have one instrument to play a melody over the rhythm until the song's foundation is solid to the listener. But don't overcompensate in the other direction by playing the rhythm too long before you begin adding interest either by orchestration or rhythmic variations. One method to check whether you've actually accomplished this is to NOT listen to the song for a day or two, then listen to it as the first song of the day.

Hey! Thanks man! Thanks for acknowledging that about me too!

Yeah, even if I can't put all the suggestions on the current mix I'm working on (because it's too much work and I want to work on something else). I always take that feedback and bring it to my next project. That way, my next project is much better than the last one. I think this is actually true of all my projects.

I also listen to the feedback and decide what works and what doesn't. I do that for other things too, like public speaking. I think being in Toastmasters helped me with that attitude, but I suppose I've always had that attitude.

I'll definitely re-arrange the first part a bit and try it out. It couldn't hurt any ;) Intros, Outros, and sometimes transitions, etc. are my weakest areas of song writing. Groove, feeling, melody and overall sound are more my strong areas. I want to try and good at everything I can, and eventually collaborate with people who are just so good that they can do it instead ;)

Thanks for the feedback Tom! You're awesome!

My Music:

Specs:
    egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 16:55:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jimmyman

I do have to agree with Jimmy on the timing issues though I wouldn't have said "garage band" :)

Man I knew I shouldn't have said garage band! When I post something
    you can tell me to not quit my day job :)

and masking the drums and bass

Have I gone deaf? What bass? Call me an ear docter!
    Bass frequencys or bass guitar?

Again I think a lot of this song and its potenteil. Getting an acoustic
    to sound this good is an acomplishment in itself.

Thanks for the acknowledgment about the acoustic sound.

I think I'm just starting to notice the timing issues that you are referring to... and now it's annoying me.

You know what I think happened? I think Sonar slightly put them in the wrong spot or something. You see, when Ozone is engaged and I press record, the timing is WAY off - Sonar isn't compensating at all.

So, I have to turn ozone off in the master bus, save the project, close sonar, and then open up the project again. This way ozone is saved to bypass when the project is opened fresh. Only then will recording work fine.

However, maybe there is a much smaller latency issue after recording? Hrm... I wonder. Sonar is reporting a latency of 10msec, but it's grayed out (the FA-66 ASIO driver is pretty much taking all of my options out of Sonar).

It also could be Bit Defender 2009 (An anti virus program). Would that interfere with Sonar or my ASIO driver a bit? I just recently installed that.

I should just try moving my leads slightly back little-by-little to see if I can get it to match up. It's kind of tough to reason out because sometimes my notes are purposely on the half-beat.

I will really look into this and report back! Thanks so much for the comments!
    post edited by egervari - 2008/12/24 17:00:15

My Music:

Specs:
    egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 17:32:47 (permalink)
    Man, I think I also know what it might be. When I play the exported WAV or listen in Sonar, it sounds overall much better. But when I listen to the MP3, there is a big loss of quality. There is some small static. Actually, I think the tone is slightly warped too. Yuck.

I've been listening to the MP3 and WAV of the song back and forth and there is a BIG difference. If you actually think the sound is good on the MP3, the WAV blows it away (and it's a 24-bit project to 16-bit WAV using Type 1 conversion in Waves L3... so it has nothing to do with listening to the WAV in 24 bits compared to a 16-bit MP3).

Maybe Lame's MP3 encoder at 44.1 is pretty bad? When I export to 48 instead of 44.1, it sounds just fine. However, at 48, it sounds like crap on Soundclick.

I'm actually more annoyed by this than the timing, because now that I've listened to it again, the timing seems fine. LOL.

Anyway, going back and listening to the WAV files of all my songs... I'm starting to really notice a difference in Lame's audio conversion. It really, really sucks ;)

Time to find another MP3 codec perhaps.
    post edited by egervari - 2008/12/24 17:35:56

My Music:

Specs:
    egervari
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 19:07:48 (permalink)
    I solved the timing problem. It's not a recording problem at all - it's actually a memory problem, or a bug.

I was just remixing an old project. I'm making a cd of my music to give to some people on Christmas. Anyway, I started soloing tracks, fixing the EQ and stuff. I did that for the entire song.

THEN, I unsoloed everything and just played it - and BAM! - entire thing is out of time! Holy smokes Batman!

I closed the project, reloaded it... and guess what? The entire thing is in time again. I think I exported the song on soundclick when I had it open for awhile, and "something" bad happened in the meantime to mess up the timing. I think playing with Ozone settings has something to do with it. Or the convulution reverb plugins. Or ezdrummer ;)

Man, now that I know... it's okay, but I wanna know what the heck changed my system to behave this way.
    post edited by egervari - 2008/12/24 19:35:57

My Music:

Specs:
    jimmyman
    RE: BRAND NEW Acoustic Song: "About A Girl Named Sunshine" 2008/12/24 20:04:03 (permalink)

hey egevari

I'm glad to know that I am now not a thorn in your side with my comments. I was really starting to wonder about being candid?
    You Know? am I being a snotty critic?

I've had more problems like you mention with timing while playing
    back or recording than I care to think about.

Here is one example:

I have sonar 8. if i insert the vc64 compressor it delays becuase
    thats the way it works. Its meant for a look ahead type of thing to do
    its work well. If I have it in the music mix and vocal then its o.k

But if i add it to vocal or music "only" then one or the other is delayed.
    How much? i dont know? sounds like about 5 to 10 ms

You asked what made your sytem behave this way?
    I go through that too! I sometimes think its my human error
    and it is sometimes. But sometimes it aint

It messes with my head.

Another crazy thing is sonar8 is said to be a resourse hog yet I
    can sometimes record at a 2 ms lacentcy. It has been on average
    a 8 to 20 lacentcy.

From my ears or expereince lacentcy is for playing a vertual instroment
    and knowing you'll hear it back a little later. it doesn't apply so mutch
    to recording wav tracks.

But again some effects do and will delay the sound

Oh man. I just wish it wouldn't play with my head after a long days
    work at the music desk!