Back up advice

Author
rob.pulman
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
2008/10/03 13:36:39 (permalink)

Back up advice

My hard drive has finally clogged up so I'm trying to free up space.

I've been backing up all along to an external drive, and also to CD. The way I've been doing it is just to copy the C:\Cakewalk Projects\(then the song name folder) onto other drives - is this an OK method of doing it? Do I have to back up anything else apart from the song folder in that location?

Can I now just delete the ones from my C drive?

Cheers
post edited by rob.pulman - 2008/10/03 13:38:27

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass

15 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/03 14:11:24 (permalink)
    Rob.... here's what I did recently...

My work computer...this one, had a 40gig drive and it was getting rather full...It wouldn't run some of the defrag utilities because it needs 15% free space... so I went to the computer store and bought a brand new Maxtor 500GB drive...

I disconnected the D drive and hooked the new Maxtor up as a slave drive... using the "clone drive" function included on the CD that came with the Maxtor... I cloned the drive.... this took about 15 minutes.... the computer then instructed me to shut it off and install the 500GB maxtor as the primary drive....removing the old 40GB drive....I also at this time reconnected my D data storage drive and rebooted.... and it come up and ran OK..all the OS and applications were there and intact. I did have to do a reinstall/fix on one of my business programs, but everything else works perfectly.... including all the programs that use some sort of disk ID security to keep you from installing the apps on additional computers with out paying another license.... even my online Carbonite back up is working perfectly.

If you do as you are doing now...you have to tell the computer where the new files are located...I started to do that with my picture files and my MP3 Itunes collection... the problem came when I went to update my Ipod.... it updated rater quickly and I soon discovered that it had one song on it.... then I had to go and tell it where all the files had been moved to... what a pain that was....

Now I have a 500GB C drive and a 250GB data drive, in this work machine. It was the quickest and easiest drive swap I've ever done.... well worth the cost ...
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/10/03 14:14:29

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    JD1813
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 813
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/03 14:22:23 (permalink)
    Herb: you are SO right! I recently went through the exact same process and replaced a tiny OS drive with a new Seagate 750GB drive, and that clone process works like a champ. You have to have experienced the incredible number of hours we used to waste manually reloading drives, to truly appreciate the state of the art we're at now with some of this stuff - and it's not costly either. Seagate's "drive wizard" utilities are great!

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

Technology drives me to drink. Fortunately, it's a short drive..
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/03 14:28:24 (permalink)
    John, I can rememember when I installed the 40GB drive.... it literally took me 3 days of working on it to get a semblance of what I had previously....between all the "clean" installs and registrations.... and reloading data bases..and on, and on... and then at the end of it....the computer was still not exactly like it had been before....

Kudos big time to cloning software.... I couldn't believe it was that simple or fast....

BMI/NSAI

gamblerschoice
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3226
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/03 14:28:25 (permalink)
    I noticed you said "project" files....
    In order to have a complete and safe back up of cake walk projects, you need to open the project in c/w, and then "save as" a "bundle" file. Project files save all of the settings, like where to find the audio files, but no audio. A bundle file saves all of the settings, the midi data, and the audio files. Do not delete anything untill you are sure you have a complete bundle file, or you will lose the audio portion of each project.
    Also, any fx you have in the file that are active, if they are not native to c/w, will be lost, so a copy of the fx should be included with the bundles
    Later
    Albert

http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/lothlorienfantasy
    http://www.gamblerschoice.us/

He's a walking contradiction,
    partly truth and partly fiction, takin' every wrong direction on that
    lonesome road back home.
    JD1813
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/03 16:01:10 (permalink)
    Albert - greetings dude! And yepper, I second that suggestion big-time. In fact I just recently started to actually USE the backup to BUNDLE rather than Project, specifically for those reasons. Since for most of us, drive space is not the big issue anymore, it only makes sense. In fact, your last statement is also very important to consider - FX that are not native to CW. This is one reason I'm trying to simplify my own setup and keep a much tighter rein on what FX I use and keep tabs on where I need to be sure to make backups of, in all my projects. These days I'm in more of a "back to basics" mode and follow the K.I.S.S. principle !

-John  *Acer Notebook Win7 Pro-x64 /Edirol USB UA-4FX/SP B1 Mic/Sonar PE X2a; Alesis QS-7 & Ovation 12-String.  Site: www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=1007877

rob.pulman
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/03 16:09:42 (permalink)
    Albert I remembered about bundling right at the last minute thankfully. Cheers for the reminder though.

Herb that sounds exactly what I need, I'll be doing it - I was down to about 8 gigs left on this harddrive so time is running out too lol. That method sounds really easy - do you think one of those Maxtor drives would fit into my Dell 2400 desktop? What about installing XP onto the Maxtor drive?

Stoojo Music

Dell 2400, XP 1 Gig RAM, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz, M-Audio 2496, PSR310, LP Custom, Fender Strat, Yam Acoustic, Peavey amps, Zodiac BXP bass
    JD1813
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/03 16:19:46 (permalink)
    This is bordering on preference so I thought a minute before posting this - but considering I've spent something like 18+ years in the IT business and worked with countless drives of al brands and models, here's what I've noted:

Maxtor drives are the most noisy I've ever worked with, although are reliable enough.
    Western Digital have failed BY FAR the most often of any model I've worked with, and I blame it on the poor design of their desktops which for the longest time, mount them on end inside the case.
    Seagates are the best combination of quiet and reliability.

Feel free to take or leave the advise, I only point out my observations so if you have a choice of xxx GB's at the same cost (and most of them are VERY close in cost), you can consider the options. Best of luck to you!

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/03 16:33:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing that, JD!!!!! I tend to buy Seagate MOST of the time, although I've had each of those (as well as Fujitsu, and some other less known units). In fact for my new system I have a 7200rpm, 32M cache, 500G SATA Seagate that I got for only $55!!!!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    rob.pulman
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/03 16:39:29 (permalink)
    Cheers JD - do all the drives you mention come supplied with the cloning software Herb mentioned? (and also really really simple instructions lol?)

Herb - could you give the model number of your Maxtor if you still have it handy? Most I'm seeing are external drives.
    post edited by rob.pulman - 2008/10/03 16:52:08

Stoojo Music

JD1813
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/03 16:48:21 (permalink)
    I'm thinking of changing my login name to "Keep It Simple" LOL
    Actually I've only started noticing that cloning software recently, as drives broke the 350+ GB barrier. And it's not actually CALLED cloning software, I think Herb and I are just referring to that name because it's essentially what it DOES.
    Seagate calls it I think, Disc Manager. But WD and Maxtor also include it in every drive of several hundred GB's in size - see, they kinda HAVE to give you that, cause if you have an older system, the use of their driver is the only way you can get your PC to recognize all those Gigs. So, they've just gone a step further and included a couple utilities, one of which lets you do this "cloning". I've used Seagate, Maxtor, and WD, so I know they all include this software. Additionally, you can download it from their sites.

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/03 19:19:15 (permalink)
    You can buy software that clones drives automatically on a schedule, that way you can be ready for a crash as well. A good external HD clone of the "C" drive is a problem solved in advance.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/03 21:09:04 (permalink)
    In my case... I saw this issue in another CW forum a few weeks back.... so I went shopping..looking specifically for cloning software bundled with the drive, and not all drives come with it so you have to look carefully at the box.... I even asked the clerk to open the box and check... they did.

When you clone ths drive.... everything is copied (I assume) bit by bit so the OS and all apps should transfer seamlessly...... my coming only took about 15 minutes... not counting swapping the drives around as instructed.

BTW: this maxtor is really quiet... I can hear it if I listen for it.

BMI/NSAI

rob.pulman
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/06 04:04:02 (permalink)
    Finally decided on the Western Digital Caviar Blue 640 gig hard drive, was only a few quid more than the 500 gig ones. Any opinion on it?

Not looking forward to attempting to clone my current hard drive though.

Stoojo Music

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/06 12:13:24 (permalink)
    Western digital are okay, but have a reputation for failure more than most of the others, i have had one before and it was 'ight

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    dave sitting at home
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Back up advice 2008/10/06 20:32:59 (permalink)
    Don't forget, if you dump all your data onto an external drive, then clear off your working drive, you still only have one copy. If that external drive crashes, you won't be a happy camper. I have my working drive and my external drive is my back up. Ideally, I should have two external drives, then I could clean off my working drive, which I will have to do one of these days.

P4 1.7GHz, 2.5G RAM, MC, Tascam US-224
    Yamaha PSR273, Microkorg, KP3, Kaossilator, Fender Acoustic, Behringer, MicroBR, Zoom, TC Helicon, Digitech, Blueman Group Keyboard, Farfisa, http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=564197
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1