Backup Method

Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
2007/07/19 21:50:49 (permalink)

Backup Method

Hey,

I'm in the process (which is long overdue) of backing up a bunch of my Sonar project folders to DVD. I'm wondering if anyone has any particular method or system of doing this that works well.

Specifically, I'm wondering about:

Storage... Where and how do you store your DVD's?

Labeling... Do you have a great system for labeling and keeping track of your DVD backups?

Any other tips or suggestions?

I know this may all seem trivial. But when the time comes that you want to locate and resurrect an old project, a good storage system/method is essential.

I look forward to your comments!

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

24 Replies Related Threads

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/19 22:03:00 (permalink)
    i don't use DVDs, i got an external hard drive. i use NTBackup (XP pro) for backups, but xcopy works too if you are just interested in backing up projects (and not Windows). DVDs are cheaper per gig but an external drive is so much more useful.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Dave King
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/19 22:10:02 (permalink)
    Yes, I'm backing up to DVD because it's possible that I may never ever need to work on these projects again. But, still want to hnag on to them (just in case).

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

jacktheexcynic
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/19 22:13:51 (permalink)
    well one tip i can pass on is to buy a silver sharpie and get the half-height jewel cases. if you have a fairly steady hand you can write on the outside edge of the case legibly so you can read the titles at a glance in any CD/DVD rack. of course that doesn't work as well if you can fit several projects on the same DVD or you've got particularly long names for them...

- jack the ex-cynic
    Dave King
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/19 22:17:49 (permalink)
    I'v already come to realize that I cannot fit all of the information I need to on the DVD's themselves using a Sharpie. So... I've decided to just number the DVD's and then create a corresponding Excel spreadsheet that includes the project names, dates and notes.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/19 23:14:38 (permalink)
    A water based sharpy is a good idea. the regular ones contain chemicals that will eventually harm the DVD.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Dave King
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/19 23:20:48 (permalink)
    the regular ones contain chemicals that will eventually harm the DVD

Huh. I did not know that.

After burning, do you guys try to open each of the backed-up project files from DVD before deleting the original source files from the hard drive? Seems like a good (and wise) practice.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

johneboy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/20 03:06:42 (permalink)
    absolutely! im kinda paranoid about losing stuff upon transfer, so ive made it a habit to check everything before i delete. it might seem a bit anal, but then again, better safe than sorry...

Gear:
    Home Studio 6 xl
    echo mia sound card
    korg k49 controller
    Ibanez acoustic
    Ovation Acoustic
    A Mouse
    Computer Specs: Pentium 4 - 3.00 ghz, RAM 895 MB, 32 bit OS, running Vista
    cemastering
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/20 05:34:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Dave King

I'v already come to realize that I cannot fit all of the information I need to on the DVD's themselves using a Sharpie. So... I've decided to just number the DVD's and then create a corresponding Excel spreadsheet that includes the project names, dates and notes.

That's exactly what I do, (and then burn the updated spreadsheet to each DVD) - works a treat.

Amiga 500
    1/2 MB RAM Upgrade
    Workbench
    Commodore Pro Sound Studio - Lite Edtn.
    larrymcg
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1310
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/20 12:45:16 (permalink)
    You might do some research on the stability of DVDs versus CDs. I have read that CDs are the safer long-term storage medium. And while you are burning, do them all twice!
    --Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    Dave King
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/20 18:55:18 (permalink)
    And while you are burning, do them all twice!

Twice??? I'm wondering if any other folks do this as well?

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

doncolga
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1519
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/20 20:55:03 (permalink)
    My backup backups have been a real help a couple of times, and those were on DVD. I've always had good results saving things as bundles, so I put lots of projects into a folder as bundles and then backed them up to DVD. No real system as far as labeling goes, just a general title as to what's on the DVD, then arranged well into folders.

Right now I'm backing up my system drive along with apps using Acronis to make a disk image and I LOVE it. All my Sonar projects are on a separate drive along with respective audio, so I can use Acronis to make an image of that VERY quickly and recover it very quickly...but that's backing up to another hard drive...have not used DVD for that yet, but it would be cool.

Donny

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/20 21:13:10 (permalink)
    I would think that a CD might be safer than an external hard drive (or internal, for that matter) because, as unlikely as it might be, they can crash. But: do you guys save bundle files in case you want to continue working on a project later?
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    doncolga
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1519
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/20 21:39:36 (permalink)
    I'm using per project folders right now, but bundles have worked well for me before. I think both are very convenient.

HP Z220 Workstation I7 3770, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10, Sonar Platinum, RME Multiface II via PCIe, JBL 4326 w/sub, AvanTone MixCubes
    Dave King
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/20 22:56:39 (permalink)
    I've had good experience with bundle files in the past, but I'm under the impression that backing up using project folders is the better option. Maybe this is because large data storage options are much more prevalent and affordable now.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

serauk
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/21 07:46:36 (permalink)
    (1) DVD and CD archival backup is better than using hard drives, because as mcourter observed, hard drives can crash. Given a reasonable environment CD/DVDs should last longer than any other backup medium. The only real risk with CD/DVD backups is whether you'll be able to find a working DVD player 20 years from now? Hard drive backups are easier to create and retrieve, but aren't really suited for long term backups.

(2) I've heard the argument that CDs last longer than DVDs but haven't seen any hard data on that yet. I believe that both of their rated lifespans is over 20 years.

(3) If you're truly serious about having a backup available, then multiple copies are essential. I backup a finished project three times: once to an external hard drive, and twice to DVD. One of the DVDs goes offsite, so in case my studio burns down I still have my projects.

(4) Testing your backup is also essential. But don't just test it once. Schedule a time to test all of your backups annually. If one fails, you can replace from your other copy (you did read #3 right?) And don't erase the original until you're sure the copy is good. That's not only painful, but embarassing....

(5) Bundles versus project files? Do both, although from reading messages on these forums it appears that bundle files are not very stable. I've had problems with project files getting corrupted too, which is why #4 is important.

(6) Also create a paper document showing as much information as you can about your project (track assignments, effects assignments, etc) so you can rebuild your project if all you have are the audio files (and MIDI files, if you have them) in case the project file goes south

(7) Most of the above is only really useful if you're doing an archive backup of a completed project. If you have the manpower and equipment, you can do a lot of this daily while you're working on a project. Since I don't, I backup my current project to an external hard drive after every session. Then I make a DVD copy, usually once a week, but it depends on how many changes I've made and how significant they are.

Hope some of this is useful...

CMWright
    Dave King
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/21 10:16:26 (permalink)
    Serauk,

Thanks for the post. There's lots of good suggestions there to consider.

Thanks, again!

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

jacktheexcynic
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/21 10:44:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: serauk
    (2) I've heard the argument that CDs last longer than DVDs but haven't seen any hard data on that yet. I believe that both of their rated lifespans is over 20 years.

i haven't heard anything about this either way. DVDs are denser, so it makes sense that they would be more prone to whatever it is that slowly degenerates, but DVD-Rs haven't been around 20 years yet so really no one knows.

(3) If you're truly serious about having a backup available, then multiple copies are essential. I backup a finished project three times: once to an external hard drive, and twice to DVD. One of the DVDs goes offsite, so in case my studio burns down I still have my projects.

this is a very good plan. the external hard drive gives you easy access and the offsite DVDs give you disaster protection. probably overkill for the hobbyist but if you run a business you can't afford not to have a disaster recovery plan with at least three backup sources, one of them off-site.

(4) Testing your backup is also essential. But don't just test it once. Schedule a time to test all of your backups annually. If one fails, you can replace from your other copy (you did read #3 right?) And don't erase the original until you're sure the copy is good. That's not only painful, but embarassing....

make sure you don't read the DVDs off the original burner. read them off a generic DVD drive. burners are usually more fine-tuned and may read stuff that regular dvd drives won't.

(5) Bundles versus project files? Do both, although from reading messages on these forums it appears that bundle files are not very stable. I've had problems with project files getting corrupted too, which is why #4 is important.

i see no reason to use bundles - i finally tried one the other day, and it's just as big, if not bigger, than my project and its project folder. zip the project folder for reduced size and less risk of corruption.

(6) Also create a paper document showing as much information as you can about your project (track assignments, effects assignments, etc) so you can rebuild your project if all you have are the audio files (and MIDI files, if you have them) in case the project file goes south

i think sonar allows you to export most of your settings (plugins only of course) but i haven't tried it yet. i will try to get around to that this weekend and see how easy it is. it would be nice if they would let you export all of the individual settings though, like faders and track routing etc, in say XML format where someone could easily view it in a browser.

(7) Most of the above is only really useful if you're doing an archive backup of a completed project. If you have the manpower and equipment, you can do a lot of this daily while you're working on a project. Since I don't, I backup my current project to an external hard drive after every session. Then I make a DVD copy, usually once a week, but it depends on how many changes I've made and how significant they are.

Hope some of this is useful...

very good post.

- jack the ex-cynic
    larrymcg
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/21 13:05:14 (permalink)
    I'm not sure about the original poster, but I think some people are thinking about a backup, where the original continues to live in its normal place, versus an archive, where the original is deleted after the archive copy is made. (I'm not sure that I'm using "archive" correctly but I wanted a term to differentiate the two scenarios.)

For me, a backup onto a separate hard disk (NOT a partition on the same disk) is fine since I need a double-point failure to lose both copies. For an archive I want to have two copies on CD and/or DVD.

Since I have enough on-line storage (two internal hard disks and one external USB connected disk) I have never deleted a project to make room. I've only made backups.

--Larry

Intel Core i7-4790 @3.6GHz; 8GB; Win10 Pro 64bit; 1TB disk + 3TB ext disk; Midiman Fineline mixer; MidiSport 4x4 midi I/F; Roland JV-30 kbd/synth; Yamaha TG55 synth; Rx with 3 piece Home audio speakers; Sonar X3e Studio
    Dave King
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/21 13:14:34 (permalink)
    Good point Larry. My original question (in your terms) was about archiving, not backing up.

Thanks.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/21 14:04:51 (permalink)
    Personally, I would not go for the DVD/CD solution. For these reasons;
    1- burning is time consuming and not failsafe imo
    2- on larger projects you may have to split them to several different discs (NFG)
    3- After burning originals you may accidentally scratch one of the discs rendering some info useless

These are just some reasons. I have an external enclosure that I can swap hard drives in and out of for these reasons. I know all my projects are intact and are readily available if I feel the need to re-open them, and without loading all the info back to my hard drive. For the price of 250 or even a 500gig drive, I feel this is most sensible. But what do I know

Craig

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    larrymcg
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/21 16:11:08 (permalink)
    Here's something I learned from experience and has kept me away from backups on CDs ever since.
    I used Retrospect and a CD burner for years doing incremental backups (and an occasional full backup) of my hard disks. My CD writer started to act up so I got a new DVD burner. Low and behold the DVD burner could not add files to the existing set of CDs and, even worse, it could not RETRIEVE any files from any of the CDs. I got confirmation on the Retrospect help forums that this is generally the case. The backup disks can only be read and written by the original hardware writer.

I suppose I could have started a new full backup using the new DVD writer but I decided to get an external hard disk instead.

Note that I have data (and music) CDs written long ago by Roxio Easy CD Creator that are readable by WinXP using the new DVD burner. It's just the ones written by Retrospect that give me trouble. So when doing backups or archives of certain files and folders, it may be best to NOT use a backup program that writes a compressed and proprietary version of the data. Use something that makes a disk readable by Windows (or Mac OS).

--Larry

Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Backup Method 2007/07/22 01:43:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: larrymcg

Here's something I learned from experience and has kept me away from backups on CDs ever since.
    I used Retrospect and a CD burner for years doing incremental backups (and an occasional full backup) of my hard disks. My CD writer started to act up so I got a new DVD burner. Low and behold the DVD burner could not add files to the existing set of CDs and, even worse, it could not RETRIEVE any files from any of the CDs. I got confirmation on the Retrospect help forums that this is generally the case. The backup disks can only be read and written by the original hardware writer.

I suppose I could have started a new full backup using the new DVD writer but I decided to get an external hard disk instead.

Note that I have data (and music) CDs written long ago by Roxio Easy CD Creator that are readable by WinXP using the new DVD burner. It's just the ones written by Retrospect that give me trouble. So when doing backups or archives of certain files and folders, it may be best to NOT use a backup program that writes a compressed and proprietary version of the data. Use something that makes a disk readable by Windows (or Mac OS).

--Larry

Hello,

That's a horror story indeed. Retrospect is the worst piece of cr*p to ever call itself a backup/archive tool. In early 2000 I had to stand by and wait 48 hours for Retrospect (Mac OS9.X) to build a catalog from the DLT-3 DAT tapes before it could restore my company's server from a fatal crash. The actual restore took another 24 hours. Retrospect tech support admited that it was a mistake that their software did not create catalog and then store it on the last DAT tape. So I say "lights out" on Retrospect.

With that said (Hi Dave), here's a few do's and don'ts.

Don't use CD-RW or DVD-RW.

Don't leave the disks "open" (not finalized).

Buy a DVD burner (around $40 to $50 for an internal drive) that comes bundled with Nero Express.

Do use CD-Rs or DVD+/-R disks

Do finalize (close) the disk. (Open disks that allow more data to be added later also called "multi-session" can be problematic in the long term.

Do use Excel to keep a record. My disk number scheme is simple: DDMMYY##. Example today the first disk would be 07220701, the second disk would be 07220702, etc. A plain ordinal number system will also work just as well.

Do store disks in paper sleeves in a disk box or buy a nice disk album. I have one that is the size of a fat looseleaf binder that holds almost 300 disks without sleeves or boxes in the width of 5 or 6 standard CD cases. I store disks both ways.

I don't know about the Sharpie thing. I've use sharpies to write on disks for years but why tempt fate. Get MediaFace (Fellows/Neato) software - the best tool for the job, and label each disk. The software comes with some labels and you can buy nice glossy labels from "compulabel." The label protects the delicate "top" of the disk (the reflector side). If the reflector side is scratched the disk will never play again. Scratches on the clear side do not create the same severe damage.

Do burn a disk with the finished work final or rough mix and MP3 and then burn another with the source code (the Sonar files and audio). I only use per-project folders (as every other DAW software except Cakewalk has done from day one). I do not use bundles because the files are no longer in native format. At the very least with per project folders you can import the audio files into something and at least listen to them to see what you were doing. A bundle file needs Sonar or it can't be opened.

For video projects I make two DVDs: an actual finished authored DVD that can be viewed on a regular DVD player (that connects to the TV) and a "source code" DVD data disk that contains the MPEG files, DVD Architect source code and Neato CD label source code. Once the project is complete and the customer/end user has signed off, then I delete the underlying raw DV source files (18GB/hour) unless it is specified that the source code is to be retained. Then I put a copy of the whole project on a hard drive and the customer has to pay for the hard drive (that would make two DVDs and a hard drive for the complete archive).

Do check the disks on a different CD/DVD drive then the one you use to burn. I've never had a failure to read a disk I've burned. I regularly use 6 year old CDs that I burned. Will these last for 100 years? Won't affect me. :-) For my personal/family videos on DVD, I certainly hope that my offspring will be able to view them long after I'm gone. But I certainly will not be able to report back on that. I can see disks I've burned lasting 20 years. I have burned disks that are 10 years old. If they are fine after 10 years, they can last 20 and they'll most likely last twice that.

The nervous part is deleting the project from your hard drive. Many video projects have files too large to fit in the trash so when you "pull the trigger" those files are really gone. I have about 200 archive CD/DVDs. I've had to go back a couple only once or twice. So they have been valuable.

GK
    Phoenix
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1886
    RE: Backup Method 2007/08/02 23:43:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: doncolga

My backup backups have been a real help a couple of times, and those were on DVD. I've always had good results saving things as bundles, so I put lots of projects into a folder as bundles and then backed them up to DVD. No real system as far as labeling goes, just a general title as to what's on the DVD, then arranged well into folders.

Right now I'm backing up my system drive along with apps using Acronis to make a disk image and I LOVE it. All my Sonar projects are on a separate drive along with respective audio, so I can use Acronis to make an image of that VERY quickly and recover it very quickly...but that's backing up to another hard drive...have not used DVD for that yet, but it would be cool.

Donny

What kinds of plugins are you using? Any from NI? Do you have to reauthorize them after restoring from an image?
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Backup Method 2007/08/03 03:32:22 (permalink)
    Twice??? I'm wondering if any other folks do this as well?

You could consider keeping 2 copies, one in a different location, in case of fire.

There's a few good websites on DVD archiving do's and don'ts.

The rundown is that most damage actually comes from dirty hands (acidic grime) when handling the discs, and storage in the wrong places. Store DVD's upright in a separate case, not in paper or plastic cheapo folders, and store them DRY AND DARK, in a cooler than room temperature spot. Also do get a good brand DVD for archiving, the ultracheap nonames may have production errors so layers can come apart way faster than using quality DVD's.

And indeed, close the sessions.

http://www.pcdoctor-guide.com/wordpress/?page_id=247
    post edited by Roflcopter - 2007/08/03 03:39:29

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1