Backup hardware / software suggestions

Author
jhughs
Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1179
2010/10/05 20:32:45 (permalink)

Backup hardware / software suggestions

I'm ready to make the move from just backing up my important files on DVD disks to getting an external drive.  Every time I think I've found a good product (like Seagate or WesternDigital) I find a bunch of comments alternately praising or trashing the drives.

Of course, the problem with internet recommendations is that you don't know if the 'problem' is with the drive or exists between the chair and the computer.

So I turn to you all.

Any recommendations for external drives of at least 1TB?

Then for software:  Should I get a separate package or just use what comes with some of the drives?  I want a solution that lets me make backups when I want, as opposed to the software constantly trying to mirror the internal drives; that seems too invasive to me.   Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick

15 Replies Related Threads

timidi
    Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5449
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/05 21:42:52 (permalink)
    I want a solution that lets me make backups when I want, as opposed to the software constantly trying to mirror the internal drives; that seems too invasive to me.   Any suggestions?

copy and paste

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

planetearth
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 763
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/06 00:05:55 (permalink)
    I'm ready to make the move from just backing up my important files on DVD disks to getting an external drive. Every time I think I've found a good product (like Seagate or WesternDigital) I find a bunch of comments alternately praising or trashing the drives.

Of course, the problem with internet recommendations is that you don't know if the 'problem' is with the drive or exists between the chair and the computer.

So I turn to you all. Any recommendations for external drives of at least 1TB?

Then for software: Should I get a separate package or just use what comes with some of the drives? I want a solution that lets me make backups when I want, as opposed to the software constantly trying to mirror the internal drives; that seems too invasive to me. Any suggestions?

First of all, stay away from Seagate external drives for a little while. They're having a lot of trouble with quality control, and several of their 1 TB (and higher) drives are failing prematurely.

Mirroring the drives can be a bit "invasive" and resource-heavy--especially if it's done in software. And unless you have an entire internal drive dedicated to data (and that doesn't sound what you're dealing with), mirroring isn't practical.

First, we need to find out a few things: What is it you're trying to back up, your entire hard drive or just your audio data? Do you have Firewire or eSATA ports or will you use USB 2.0? How much do you want to spend on the software? On the hardware? Have you considered off-site storage options?

If you just want to run a scheduled backup, you could just use whatever backup software comes with your version of Windows. That's the cheapest option, though it's rarely the best.

Most of the software the comes with external drives is relatively limited, either to imaging the entire internal drive, or to just backing up your "My Documents" folder.

Second Copy is a low-cost, easy-to-use app I offer my clients. It makes "native" copies: the files on your external drive are just like they are on your internal drive; they're not compressed into a proprietary backup file. (You could effectively take your external drive to another computer and be up and running in a minute. With proprietary software, you'd need to install it first to get your files back.) You can set Second Copy to run on a schedule, or when you log off, or every four hours...or whenever you want, really. It's quite flexible. It will also e-mail you with a report of the backup, if you want, and it can keep multiple versions of each file.

SyncBack SE is freeware, and it's similar to Second Copy in that it keeps your files in their native format on the external drive. It's not as easy to use or maintain, but it's free. The paid version offers a few more bells and whistles, but the interface is no better.

Acronis makes pretty good backup software, but I've seen it fail without reporting errors. Many people like it, though. It offers drive imaging in addition to standard backups (they're stored in a proprietary format, however).

Hope this helps, and once we know more about what you're trying to do, I can offer a few more suggestions, if you'd like.

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    jhughs
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/06 11:05:34 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.

I'm running XP Pro and have a couple of 500GB drives.
    The first drive is for OS and apps plus my son is primarily using that one.  He's recently started recording vinyl so he's starting to burn some space there as well.
    The second drive is for storage and, as you'd expect, Sonar projects.

My vision was to make periodic backups of the entire PC and let a software package manage tracking and backing updates, but only when I manually kick it off.

The more I learn about this the more I wonder if I'm over-complicating the effort and should just copy over specific files myself.   May be more straight forward and safer.

P.S. Thanks for the tip about Seagate.  I'm leaning toward WD.
    post edited by jhughs - 2010/10/06 11:35:38

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/06 11:09:46 (permalink)
    If you use a commercial product then most have the option to start with a complete copy and then only save the changes from there on.  That's about the same as "should just copy over specific files myself".

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/06 11:14:26 (permalink)
    For the drive itself, put a fast SATA HD in a nice eSATA enclosure.
    That's as good as it gets.
    eSATA will give you the full speed of the HD.  (The fastest 1TB HD will currently yield ~135MB/Sec.)
    If your desktop/tower doesn't have an eSATA port, you can get a bracket that provides two eSATA ports (connects to two internal SATA ports - bolts down into an empty slot).

As for software, I'd use Acronis or Paragon to backup the boot HD.
    For straight data, copy/paste works just fine.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    jhughs
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/06 11:39:04 (permalink)
    Karyn and Jim - Thanks.
    Yeah, I failed to mention, I have USB and Firewire ports.

I'll look at the eSATA idea.   The PC is a home build so I'm comfortable opening it up. 

J Hughs Soundclick
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/06 13:40:53 (permalink)
    I'll look at the eSATA idea. The PC is a home build so I'm comfortable opening it up.

You can add an eSATA bracket for under $10 ... (as long as you have an unused internal SATA port)

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    jhughs
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/06 20:54:08 (permalink)
    Thanks all.

Jim - I found an eSATA bracket.  That's pretty slick.  We'll be moving large files to it'd be nice to have that speed.

J Hughs Soundclick
    RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/07 00:05:26 (permalink)
    I was reading the software suggestions from Planetearth, and I thought this would be a good place to ask.

I've been using Acronis True Image 10 to back up my Windows 7 DAW. But I recently had an occasion to attempt a restore of the Windows 7 partition on another computer, and it failed. I've been able to restore Vista partitions (though I always have to do a repair).

So is it necessary to upgrade to True Image 2011 to backup a Windows 7 partition? 

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    planetearth
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/07 09:08:13 (permalink)
    I've been using Acronis True Image 10 to back up my Windows 7 DAW. But I recently had an occasion to attempt a restore of the Windows 7 partition on another computer, and it failed. I've been able to restore Vista partitions (though I always have to do a repair).

So is it necessary to upgrade to True Image 2011 to backup a Windows 7 partition?
    You shouldn't need TI 2011 to back up or restore a Windows 7 partition. I think the problem here is that you were trying to restore a Windows 7 partition onto another computer.

Without knowing everything you were trying to do, all I can say is that Windows 7 doesn't like to be moved around too much. You can ask the tech support people at Acronis, but it really all depends upon what you were trying to do, how the drives were formatted, and which errors you got. You might also want to ask them why you have to do a "repair" after restoring Vista partitions. That shouldn't be necessary. (You don't mention what you have to repair, so I'm afraid I can't really help there, either.)
    post edited by planetearth - 2010/10/07 09:12:37

SONAR Platinum ▪ NI Komplete, Korg DLC, Arturia V5 Collection, Dimension Pro, IK Multimedia & other synths ▪ Les Paul, Peavey and Yamaha guitars. Listen to some of my stuff here: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife . Comments from other SONAR users are always welcome!
    planetearth
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/07 09:32:08 (permalink)
    P.S. Thanks for the tip about Seagate. I'm leaning toward WD.
    Another concern about Seagate is that many of their lower-priced drives spin at 5400 or 5900 RPM.
    (I'm not a Seagate "basher". I bought many of their drives for my clients before finding out about the bad drives myself. All drive manufacturers have problems from time to time.) You want at least 7200 RPM unless you're sure you'll only use this drive for backups. WD's "Green" line adjusts the speed to conserve power, but it can also dip that low. WD's "Black" are supposed to be the best for data throughput, but the "Blue" line is very good for most people.

And if you're just going to manually copy and paste your files, you might as well get SyncBack SE. For free, it will at least review which files you've already copied, and only copy the ones that have changed. It beats doing it manually! It has a lot of other features, too, if you'd like to give it a try.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/07 11:33:55 (permalink)
    I have an external USB  Western Digital 1TB drive for back up.

I also have Acronis on the machine. Let it make a drive image of the C drive in case you have problems, so you can easily restore the original config.

Then, just do the backup with copy/paste to save and update the data files you are working on.

I used Acronis to image my new DAW... it took 40GB to save the C drive config in a file..... and about 10 minutes to do it.  I copy the song files as needed to that drive as well in Bundle format.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/08 06:45:20 (permalink)
    I use Acronis True Image.  I make full hard drive (all partitions) backups to a second internal hard drive.

I do not use the Incremental backup methods - it can be a problem is a restore is ever needed, as it will take more time to restore and if you accidentally miss one of the incrementals it corrupt the restore and then you have to start over.  We found that out where I worked with our file servers; we were doing full backups on Monday night and incrementals the rest of the week.  If a server had a problem that required reinstalling it was a nightmare (and a lot of extra time) getting it back up with the incrementals.  We went to full backups everynight and it eliminated the full/incremental backup headaches.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    montezuma
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2520
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/08 19:16:37 (permalink)
    HD's of all descriptions can be suspect...I've had more than one and not only Seagate, fail right out of the box in my time
    planetearth
    Re:Backup hardware / software suggestions 2010/10/08 22:44:09 (permalink)
    montezuma

HD's of all descriptions can be suspect...I've had more than one and not only Seagate, fail right out of the box in my time
    Yep. I remember when Maxtor had a string of problems in the mid-'90s. Right now, it's Seagate's turn. Hitachi's had theirs. For all we know, WD may be next....

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1