Bad_Pool_caller crash with FW-1884

Author
diamondjim
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 241
2005/06/20 15:46:23 (permalink)

Bad_Pool_caller crash with FW-1884

I consistently get a BAD_POOL_CALLER stop error when closing one of two apps that use the FW-1884.

I spent the entire weekend trying to sort this one out and I am pretty certain the naughtiness is in the fw-1884 driver.

Problem: With any two of the following apps open and switching between them after playing audio via the FW-1884, always produces a BSD Stop error Bad_pool_caller, C2, 7 (which indicates a driver, memory, or hardware problem) when I close one of the apps.

Analysis of the memory dump file suggested that fw-1884.sys is the culprit. The apps are:
1. Sonar P4 and Melodyne Uno
2. Sonar P4 and Wavelab 5.0
3. Wavelab and Melodyne Uno

So it is not a problem with any one of these applications, the feature in common is the FW-1884 driver. Also if I turn off the FW-1884 and use my M-Audio Delta 66, which Sonar can use in ASIO mode but Melodyne uses the WDM mode, the crash does not happen. The Delta 66 drivers are disabled when I run Sonar with the FW-1884 on.

Sonar is set in its driver options to share the ASIO driver. The Tascam control panel is set to its default state, including latency of 256. FW-1884 native mode, internal clock, 44.1 khz sample rate. The wav files are both 16 bit, 44.1khz, different ones in each app.

1. I have the FW-1884 1.5 drivers installed. I downloaded them again and installed again. The FW-1884 is connected via a PCI fw card with the Texas Instruments chip set.
I have no problem using the FW-1884 for normal audio recording and playing, and the Sonar control surface stays connected (well most of the time!).

2. Intel P4 2.6 ghz, used with or without hyperthreading (tried it both ways). Windows XP SP2 with all of the latest patches. Happens with or without the firewall turned on. 750 meg. DDR RAM. Have run extensive ram tests with memest86, found some bad ram, removed it, the 750 meg is clean. Did not fix the problem.

3. Norton A/V auto-protect is disabled. System performance set to favor background processes. In fact I have gone to musicxp.net and tweaked most of the settings as recommended.

4. nVidia gForce 5200 128 meg. dual monitor card with two analog monitors and latest drivers installed. Happens with or without dual monitors active. 3-D hardward acceleration and DirectX 9 is disabled.

At this point I would really appreciate any suggestions. I have also posted this on the Tascam forum.

-+ http://www.barnjazz.com +-
pcAudioLabs Core2 Duo E6600 2.6GHz, 4 Gig Ram, Plextor DVD/CD writers, RME FF800, Tascam FW-1884, Frontier Tranzport, JBL LSR4328P monitors, UAD-1, Sonar 6 PE, Wavelab 6, Harbal, Ozone3, BFD, Rapture, Project5, DimP

5 Replies Related Threads

diamondjim
    RE: Bad_Pool_caller crash with FW-1884 2005/08/08 17:55:04 (permalink)
    Updated info on this problem:

The problem: BSOD with "bad_pool_caller" when switching between audio apps that use ASIO drivers. Play some audio in one, then the other (different file), then close one of the other apps, CRASH..

1. Not specific to XP SP2. Happens on my laptop running XP/Home SP1.
    2. Not specific to my particular board, happens on the FW-1884 down at the music store also, using my laptop.
    3. Is specific to ASIO, if I switch to WDM drivers, no problem.

Ergo it is the FW-1884.SYS driver that is the culprint.
    Big question I have is, why has no one else reported this?
    Maybe my workflow is just that bizarre?

I have submitted this to Frontier Design for further look-see......

pcAudioLabs Core2 Duo E6600 2.6GHz, 4 Gig Ram, Plextor DVD/CD writers, RME FF800, Tascam FW-1884, Frontier Tranzport, JBL LSR4328P monitors, UAD-1, Sonar 6 PE, Wavelab 6, Harbal, Ozone3, BFD, Rapture, Project5, DimP
    bermuda
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Bad_Pool_caller crash with FW-1884 2005/08/09 09:47:36 (permalink)
    Hey Jim,

Just out of curiosity, you had some bad ram, and removed it.

I'm pretty sure that motherboards require Ram to bee installed in certain configurations.

I had 2 racks of 512MB DDR making up 1 GB, (there are three slots on MoBo).

So to go to 2GB I thought great, buy a 1GB stick of same ram to fill third slot...My Mobo manual indicated that this set up would not work, so i had to pull the Corsair two sticks aof 512MB (repackage and store them in a cupboard, and then buy 2 x 1GB sticks of Kingston DDR ram)

I wonder if pulling the bad stick has left you with an unmatched ram problem that only occurs when a certain amount of ram or something related to the ram is 2required of your system.

Also can you use the WDM for one application. stop the application and then switch to another stand alone using ASIO.

I use WDM with FW 1884, but have used the ASIO with Melodyne Studio standalone.

Let us know what you find out.

There was a contact name for frontier design chap on the Tascam forums around the back end of 2004. it may be woth giving the guy a direct e-mail (maybe this is what you did).

Good luck

Yes.
    diamondjim
    RE: Bad_Pool_caller crash with FW-1884 2005/08/09 11:50:39 (permalink)
    Hi, Bermuda,
    I thought of that problem, and rearranged the RAM when I bought the additional, with 512, 256, 512, and 256, in that order according to the recommendations of the guy who builds the machines I use, who is pretty good. However since the problem also occurs using the laptop, it most certainly is a software issue.

I did send a message to Brian George at Frontier and they are looking into it. I included a mini-dump file from the crash so hopefully one of their programmers can scope it out.

More Info:
    1. I played a clip in Sonar, using WDM drivers, stopped play.
    2. Then loaded Melodyne Uno, using ASIO FW-1884 driver, opened a different wav file, played a bit of that, stopped play.
    3. Went back to Sonar and resumed play. NOISE. Static sound with a bit of the clip in the background.
    4. Was able to close both apps without the crash this time.
    5. Closed and reopened Sonar, reloaded the same project, played fine.
    6. Reopened Melodyne, same clip, played fine.
    7. Back to Sonar, noise again.
    8. Closes Sonar, back to Melodyne, played fine.
    9. Reopened Sonar, same clip, NOISE.
    10. Closed Melodyne, back to Sonar, played fine this time.

So with Melodyne using ASIO and Sonar using WDM, they don't play well together but at least they don't cause a BSD.

11. Closed Sonar. Opened Melodyne, set it to use Direct X. Opened Sonar, would not use the FW-1884 1-2 output, when set to WDM.
    So it is not sharing this with Melodyne. I have Sonar checked to Share Drivers with Other Programs. Melodyne does not have this option.
    Close Melodyne and Sonar. Reopened Sonar, same config., now it plays OK.

Using Wavelab 5 and Sonar 4:
    1. I can play clips in both apps using WDM and switch back and forth, no problem.
    However Wavelab has the option to "release hardware when switching to another app", which I have checked.

2. Changed Wavelab to use ASIO, kept Sonar at WDM.
    Can play clips in both without problems, unlike Melodyne.

3. Changed Sonar to use ASIO. Was able to play clips in both. Was able to close one or the other without crash.

Its beginning to look like MelodyneUno is the culprit here, not releasing the audio hardware when switching apps.
    I don't see any kind of setting for that. I will report this to them and see what they have to say.

Jim

bermuda
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Bad_Pool_caller crash with FW-1884 2005/08/09 12:53:46 (permalink)
    Thanks Jim,

for the detailed report on activities.

Just out of curiosity when you exit Sonar to go to the other apps, is the audio engine still running (green). I notice that even if I stop a project it can be highlighted green.

Maybe switching this off before switching apps may work.

Or

when switching back into Sonar clik the engine off and then play (I'm pretty sure from memory it reactivates it upon play)

Yes.
    diamondjim
    RE: Bad_Pool_caller crash with FW-1884 2005/08/09 14:10:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bermuda

Thanks Jim,

for the detailed report on activities.

Just out of curiosity when you exit Sonar to go to the other apps, is the audio engine still running (green). I notice that even if I stop a project it can be highlighted green.

Maybe switching this off before switching apps may work.

Or

when switching back into Sonar clik the engine off and then play (I'm pretty sure from memory it reactivates it upon play)

Well the audio engine is running. I tried switching it off, then returned to Melodyne Uno. Uno would not play at that point. Pressing the play button did nothing. Went back to Sonar, everything OK. Was able to exit Sonar without crash BUT,
    went back to Uno, tried switching from ASIO back to Direct-X to try to get it to play, and this time got
    BSD - "Bad_Pool_header" Stop message (19).

I tried the same thing this time with the Edirol FA-101 in place of the FW-1884.
    I set both Uno and Sonar to use ASIO Edirol drivers. I can switch back and forth and play audio in both with no problems.
    Was able to switch back and forth and then close Sonar without a crash.

This is consistent with my previous tests which have isolated the problem to the FW-1884.sys driver. So it is not ASIO per se, but the specific driver that is causing the problem with UNO. Although UNO is less well behaved than Wavelab in this little game. And I have had problems with Wavelab crash in the past, or at the very least, driver corruption after running a render of an audio montage and then returning to Sonar, even when Sonar was closed and reopened. The corruption is in the form of highly degraded audio, noise, clicks, etc. Rebooting is the only way I have found to fix this.

I would love to be able to keep the Tascam FW-1884, since its hardware is working fine. I am just having too many problems with the driver interactions. I am going to operate under WDM for a while and see if this is stable.

I would love to hear from anyone else out there who can duplicate this, if you have the FW-1884 and UNO, see if you can duplicate these problems.

Jim

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1