Helpful ReplyBaffled? Still will this continue?

Author
bobguitkillerleft
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 944
2011/07/21 11:50:22 (permalink)

Baffled? Still will this continue?

Well,Im going to have to admit it,its 3 months since I FIRST used X1,and I still have little clue as to what Im doing.Ive got Eli`s DVD[groove3,the x1 starter]and today Scott`s book arrived and I geuss I was hoping for some "magical wonder guide" but I cant believe how hard this stuff is to learn!! I KNOW Im not the only one!! Im just gratefull all my gear and X1 seems to work and no crashes or bad weirdness like TONS of people seem to have,Its just I still have no clue how to just record like the old "portastudio" days.Don`t get me wrong Im TOTALLY blown away by some of the "synth" sounds,quality of audio Im hearing, and FULL ON recording STUDIO features included,It just seems with 13 weeks of reading posts/tutorials/etc etc I thought I would at least understand the concepts of creating a DRUM part or adding and playing a "SYNTH" bass line to suit would be happening by now? But Las t night I opened up a "Tutorial"[it seems like a song,not a tutorial]called" The Circuit Symphony -Moon Beams" and Cannot remember how I did it?LOL!!!  28 TRACKS Amazing! NO GLITCHES!What IM trying to say is there must BE A BETTER way to learn this stuff and if some one can TEACH it WITHOUT the endless confusion, they could make a LOT OF MONEY! I geuss Ill just muddle along and hope I can at least get ONE song done by YEARS END!Cheers All.
Bonjo
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/21 12:07:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
You are NOT alone.
I got Sonar LE bundled with something a few months ago, and seeing that DAW-use was probably the way forward, I used the X1 trial for a month and was blown away by the features. Recently I've gone the whole hog and purchased X1 Producer, installed the upgrades and am now going through the tuition vids very slowly. Heigh-ho...
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/21 12:38:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
My daughter is a learning assistance professional. Her explanation is that some people cannot learn by reading. We are all different. This is why some kids do so poorly in school sometimes. So wading through pages of material might seem like your learning but sometimes the faster way is by just doing. One step at a time. Best would be with an expert leaning over your shoulder. The problem is that "expert is a bunch of text and cannot answer your question instantly so it slows us down. We even tend to get sidetracked.
So for some the videos will work better but they seem very limited in content. If you are not interested in a certain way of working they are a waste of time.
What I'd like to see is 2 levels of info when you hover over an icon.
A simple box like we have that tells you what it is, but a second box with all the help info attached to the icon.

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

bobguitkillerleft
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/21 21:24:19 (permalink)
WOW ,2 people actually replied!THanks,I definately wrote the above expecting nobody to reply to my noob rant!I spose I skimmed SONAR POWER and thought an epiphany would strike,but instead I went to Scott`s site[digifreq] and was so amazed to [not really amazed] see the "article" "optimize your audio PC" to discover its "6" YEARS out of date!! Why publish a huge book,then in the front,say look at this "6 year old suggestion? I guess your`e supposed to adjust but its a turn OFF,especially as the book was only $30 but cake decided the ONLY way I could get it was DHL @ $35 so =$68 U.S. Also with this very "CRAP" Aussie "BIGPOND" internet that slows to a dribble halfway through every month[see X1 download post] its impossible to watch the videos,oh well back to DAW MASTER "Eli Krantzberg" we go![luckily got the first G3 DVD]Till next rant[one finger at a time].
mixmkr
Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3169
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/21 21:31:41 (permalink)
hey... you aint alone.  I found I just started doing stuff, and if I couldn't figure it out, come here and post a question.  After awhile, I was at least able to do the stuff I wanted to and then could casually learn the other stuff.

Some features are just too deep to really delve into, because they just seem so Sonar specific and used so very occasionally.  I feel I play well enough to skip the auto-snap stuff, but that would be handy, but too much trial and error and it doesn't work really good enough.

Then, some stuff is just so easy...  splicing 2" audio tape in the day which just was so un-nerving to me and "cut and paste" and dragging is just a miracle.  And that's supposedly the simple stuff.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

sykodelic
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 612
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/21 21:47:07 (permalink)

Asus P8P67 pro, I7 2600K, 8G Kingston Hyperflex, 2 1T WD Caviar Black(sytem,audio), 2T WD Caviar Black(samples), RME Multiface, Roland A500 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate 64, Sonar X1C, Ableton Live 8, Reason 6, Komplete 7, DCAM Synth Squad, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trillian
thomasabarnes
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3234
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/21 22:25:26 (permalink)
Hi Bob:

Have you watched the Drum Production I (5 parts) videos on CakeTV? SONAR 8 or 8.5 is used, but you might find those videos helpful for making drum tracks using SONAR X1, as Session Drummer 3 is used.

Here's the link in case you're intrested: http://cakewalk.com/CakeTV/SONARU.aspx/Master-Class

"It's not a song till it touches your heart. It's not a song till it tears you apart!" Lyrics of Amy Grant.

SONAR Platinum X64 (jBridge), Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, Core i7 990X Extreme Edition Processor 3.46 GHz 6 Cores, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, Crucial Ballistix 24GB 1333MHz DDR3 @1333 MHz, TASCAM UH-7000, Behringer X-Touch, EVGA GTX 980TI Superclocked 6GB, 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD, 150GB, 320GB, 1TB 7200rpm HDDs
Bonjo
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/22 02:28:02 (permalink)
Hey Bob et al, just to put my music-making history into context. I started making music with reel-to-reel 2-track in the 1960s, progressed through the Tascam cassette-based recorders, onto the Boss digital recorder range, and finally ended up with the DAW. And I have to say, that while when you know how-to with a DAW it's wonderful, the learning curve is VERY steep. I mean, the downloaded Sonar X1 pdf manual is over 1800 pages long...Jeeze, am I gonna live that long?? Still, it's good to know that others sometimes find it difficult too. Good luck everyone.

Win10 64-bit. Intel i7QuadCore 4.20GHz. 32Gb Ram. Sonar Platinum.

bobguitkillerleft
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/22 02:35:27 (permalink)
Hmmmm,would love to watch the vids but can`t[Thanks so much BIGPOND -NOT!!]until next month,sure I could blow even more dough upgrading my account[internet]but I just dont feel like going through 3+HOURS of talking to a guy in the Philipines about how crap Telstra [Bigponds telephone sister company] is, and having to repeat EVERYTHING many times[due to English understanding speaking/pronunciation difficulties-both ways!]I think Ill take "sykodelic`s" advice though?????After reading the 1050 posts about the incredible "Panu" and the extra refreshing new "looks/functions"[although much of whats discussed is pure "what and what and copy what here and Dll there?]given to X1, there is hope[?]A lot of the confusion is "PURE COMPUTER ILLITERACY",no doubt about that now,Cheers, Too cool of ya-Too cool of ya. 
bobguitkillerleft
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/22 07:23:57 (permalink)
WOW again,just spent a couple hours over at "THE WOMB"[Apple Fanboy`s/ LOGIC All the way!]And learned quite a bit about FREEZING/SUMMING and PLUGS etc.Should I sell my Les Paul/Marshall and go MacBP? They seem to communicate really seemlessly to each other on that Forum, Weird.Could this be an "old guy" thing? HERE?Gotta face it most of us [SONAR] are 45 Plus.!Dont want to DITCH but maybe the young`ens are on to something?NEED SLEEP too MUCH SCREEN time,Later.
Dave Modisette
  • Total Posts : 11050
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/22 07:58:59 (permalink)
I started with 4 track recording on cassette as well as reel to reel.  I moved to ADAT 8 track.  Then to ADAT + syncing a computer and midi via SMPTE time code.  Finally ending up with a computer based DAW with a couple of lingering tape machines around.

It's always been a progression where I became very familiar with one aspect before moving on.  Sometimes a year would pass as I researched and made decisions to where I wanted to head.

I would suggest trying to find a SONAR buddy in your area and possibly pay him to sit down with you and show you how to do things.  I've done this for a couple of fellows now.  It wasn't long before they got a working understanding of how things run and they were able to go on by themselves.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
Stone House Studios
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3550
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/22 10:53:21 (permalink)
Mod Bod

I started with 4 track recording on cassette as well as reel to reel.  I moved to ADAT 8 track.  Then to ADAT + syncing a computer and midi via SMPTE time code.  Finally ending up with a computer based DAW with a couple of lingering tape machines around.

It's always been a progression where I became very familiar with one aspect before moving on.  Sometimes a year would pass as I researched and made decisions to where I wanted to head.

I would suggest trying to find a SONAR buddy in your area and possibly pay him to sit down with you and show you how to do things.  I've done this for a couple of fellows now.  It wasn't long before they got a working understanding of how things run and they were able to go on by themselves.
Ahhh - - the days of syncing midi to a stripe of timecode on one track of a multitrack that can never be used again!  Those were the days!  I still have the old Yamaha converter, it still works as a midi split box!

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
yorolpal
  • Total Posts : 13829
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/22 11:00:39 (permalink)
We used to use the old Akai Twelve track self contained recorder/mixer units.  And even tho the fader was pulled down all the way I had to get used to the very, very faint sound of the dddddrrrrrrrrrrr of the smpte time code passing by on track 12.  Wonder if someone will soon be making a plugin to put that back on all my new stuff??;-)

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
Poco
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 746
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/22 11:25:46 (permalink)
Mod Bod

Phhht.  Big deal.  This is where I started: 

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cs-exhibitions.uni-klu.ac.at/fileadmin/gdf/gdf11/EdisonPhonograph.jpg&imgrefurl=http://cs-exhibitions.uni-klu.ac.at/index.php%3Fid%3D516&usg=__oL6EXCEzpS2HjJY1v7lNdJZ7SGA=&h=540&w=552&sz=105&hl=en&start=4&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=ch64V3-a5BVQxM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=133&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dedison%2Bgramophone%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7RNWO_en%26biw%3D993%26bih%3D578%26tbm%3Disch&ei=45UpTqrPEcTagQf7ntiHCw

post edited by Poco - 2011/07/22 11:27:09

God People - God Music
Where there is no peace, it is not peaceful.
bobguitkillerleft
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/22 11:51:42 (permalink)
[/quote"]Logic never was sonar"-at last some light! [ from "THE WOMB" forum]
Stone House Studios
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3550
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/22 13:05:20 (permalink)
Wonder if someone will soon be making a plugin to put that back on all my new stuff??;-)

Don't we refer to that as "warmth" these days!

Brian

Core i7-6700@3.40Ghz  Windows 10x64 16 GB RAM
Sonar Platinum/Studio One     PreSonus Studio 192
Dave Modisette
  • Total Posts : 11050
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/22 13:29:28 (permalink)
Stone House Studios

Mod Bod

Ahhh - - the days of syncing midi to a stripe of timecode on one track of a multitrack that can never be used again!  Those were the days!  I still have the old Yamaha converter, it still works as a midi split box!

Brian

Yeah, I was using a JL Cooper Midisync, I believe it was.  Eventually, I got something that converted the ADAT sync out to SMPTE.  I had two ADATs then.  One Blackface and an XT model.  Used to love waiting till everything synced back up after a rewind to the beginning of a track.  I laugh every time someone complains about "glitch free" rewind and starts here.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
My music.
... And of course, the Facebook page. 
bobguitkillerleft
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/22 13:56:33 (permalink)
Huh? complaining of glitch free playback? Im ecstatic,very confusing,anyway as the topic is now "Bench Racing"[motocross term] Ill remonice about how my toltally "glitchy" Tascam 244 cassette 4t did a fine job of a "non bounced" "non stereo drums"[if you can believe that,I still cant!] that actually "Earned" me some money back a long time ago on a,dare I say "satriani"kind  of[!] guitar instrumental, that ended up on 3 "surf movies"!!I did say long time ago??
VariousArtist
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1397
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/22 14:13:39 (permalink)
Luxury!  We used to 'ave to use cone for microphone and string for cables...

(with apologies to Michael Palin, John Cleese & Co...)
Guitarpima
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4125
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/22 23:59:41 (permalink)
I think your making it more complicated than it needs to be. 

Your not giving the details you need. How to get your playing to record.

Basicly it's the same as your portastudio just more things in between.

Guitar into: amp (or direct into audio interface, or guitar processor into AI), mic, audio interface, sonar.

Tell us what kind of equipment you have and maybe someone has the same, close enough or just knows how to help you. You'll notice most here have their system specs in their signiture.

We'll get you going. Keep the faith.

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
bobguitkillerleft
Re:Baffled? Still will this continue? 2011/07/23 04:09:46 (permalink)
Hey Guitarpima,Its all cool Ive posted elsewhere with gear but Dell xps15 l502 i72630 8gb 750gb hdd cake ua25ex [pretty lowgrade imo-but no glitches if set with silly high latency]krk g2 5".To start [again]3.5 months ago I "started" using a computer for the first time[a mate gave me his old ibm 330pc[W-xp pent3=slow,good enough to start]Quickly I bought a tascam2488 boss, dr880, speakers etc;after programming a beat,laying rythm guit[no bass guitar of my own yet]I quickly realised after reading forums etc etc that ITB DAW was the way to go so rashly bought laptop,sonar x1 studio[soon realised should ave got producer]and have successfully got loops,synths,etc etc to play,sounds incredible, fantastic for playing endless Jeff Beck/Gary Moore type jams,you all know the kind of thing your typical "shred monkey" would get up to, and even though I, HAVE READ THE FM watched as many videos as our TERRIBLE internet situation allows,I just thought Id be LOT further along to doing a LOT better than than "Porta 1992" Its no big deal,just find that Scott Gs book so difficult to get into and suddenly realising I really dont know what Im doing.Its just a typical "panic" reaction when getting the MC bill and thinking MAN have I spent all that money with no recordings worth a damn yet.LOL Itll happen albeit SLOWLY,CHEERS ALL,Thanks again for the input.  
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1