Helpful ReplyBand Member Blues

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
2014/07/25 01:16:48 (permalink)

Band Member Blues

I am in a big quandry here people, and I hope you give me a chance and not call me a jerk right out of the gate.

I have been playing with a drummer since 2009, and we have done some really great things in my band together. The problem is, he has become increasingly distracted over the past year (checking phone between songs at rehearsal for instance), and has never really gotten involved with band business - even given assignments over the years, which always fall by the wayside.

From a performance standpoint, I would give him a B-. He used to rehearse at home with a metronome, but over the past 5 years, I have really not seen him improve or evolve with the rest of us. I also took a vacation 2 weeks ago and was listening to a couple previous albums of ours, and just lamented some of the slightly off time performances on the albums. He has never been 100% solid.

This is what happened to me last weekend.

I met somebody else. LOL. I own a recording studio, and this young band came in with this drummer that was simply incredible. Think TAYLOR HAWKINS / DAVE GROHL here. Yes, he really was that good. At the end of their session, he wanted to record some drum tracks, and brought in some MP3's to play along with. In a couple cases, I had to set up a metronome for him. This guy NAILED each take, almost perfectly, hardly EVER deviating from the click. He was doing incredible 16'ths at times with tom fills, and kick pedal hits (using ONE pedal by the way). Just blew my mind.

Then he told me this band was breaking up, and he was interested in working with me. He listened to my band, and was REALLY interested in working with me.

SO....that's where I am.

This guy would make my band 200% better. We're writing and just going to be starting to record new material. Rehearsing last night, and listening to my current drummer - was SUCH a let down. He has been playing 30 years, and this kid that came in is only 20. He blows my drummer away so bad, it isn't even funny.

What should I do?!

post edited by spindlebox - 2014/07/26 03:03:03

craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/25 03:27:28 (permalink)
IMO, It sounds like the decision has already been made.  The really tough part is how to let your original drummer down easy. 

[Edit:  Removed band name and link to other thread.]

Just about time for me to buy some tunes from you too. 
post edited by craigb - 2014/07/26 11:22:54

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/25 07:57:27 (permalink)
do you have a contract with your current drummer?  if so, what does the contract say about "early dismissals"?

it's not likely you do have a contract unless you have a label, which I don't think you do.  if that's the case then it's all on the leaders' shoulders as to who stays and who goes.  I assume you're the leader...so...

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
Randy P
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3070
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/25 08:45:25 (permalink)
A couple of things for you to consider before making a move. Is your current drummer "involved" with anyone else in the current band? Would replacing him cause any conflict with other current members? Have you "vetted" the prospective drummer? Does he have any issues common with young drummers, such as transportation, substance abuse, fluid living situation, other income source, etc ?. Will he "gel" with the other band members? What's his history with other bands?

I've been in almost the exact situation you are in. I played with a drummer that was decent, but not great. We formed the band at his house and rehearsed there. A nice guy too, with no issues. He called me on a Thurs. to tell me he couldn't make the next nights gig and had no idea what we could do to replace him for the night. He was going to see some family out of state. I called the keyboardist to let him know, and he said he had a drummer he had played with in the past that would do the gig. Seasoned pro and knew our set list of covers.

The guys shows up at the gig, and is literally throwing drum cases through the stage door on to the stage. He looks like a business man who's wife picks out his casual clothes. I'm looking at the keyboardist and thinking "oh ****". The guy sets up a basic 4 piece kit of nice Gretsch maple drums. I get introduced and do a quick read through of the set list. He just nods his head and says "I'll watch you for the endings"

We started the set, and within 2 songs the bass player and I can't stop smiling. The guy is just killing it. He's light years ahead of the current drummer. At the end of the first set I asked him if he would like the gig. He said yes immediately. He played with us for 4 years until the band broke up due to several members getting re-located by their employers. Still one of the best moves I ever made was hiring that guy.

Letting a long time band member go is always tough. What always seemed best to me was just saying "We've decided to make a change and we are going with a different player". Thanks for everything and good luck"

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
spindlebox
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/25 08:46:45 (permalink)
Thanks to both of you.  As far as having made a decision, kind of in my head I have, yeah, but in my heart I haven't.  I don't hate the guy for pete's sake.  'sigh'

Did I mention that at the last show we played, he thought it was a good idea to take a little nap during the other band's sets, right in the front of the club where we were playing?  UGH.

spindlebox
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/25 08:53:22 (permalink)
Sorry RSP, I was posting as you were posting. 

Thanks so much for that story, this is probably one of the hardest things I've gone through when it's come to this band.  Really, I have had trouble sleeping and everything.

post edited by spindlebox - 2014/07/26 02:11:51

spindlebox
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/25 10:04:22 (permalink)
I should add, that uncannily enough, this just seems to be something that kind of is "MEANT" to happen - not to get all HIPPY and ETHEREAL, but it is something that has been bugging me for the past YEAR. Our last show was on July 11th (the one he fell asleep at). I talked to him (via Facebook, since after rehearsal he can't leave fast enough), and explained my concerns and was trying to get to the bottom of it. I think him and his wife are having trouble on top of it all. He asked for patience. So this is adding insult to injury, making it even tougher for me. I don't like to kick a man, a friend/associate, when he's down.

Also, during that Facebook conversation, he stated to me " I feel I am still playing at a pretty high level".

I don't think his idea of a HIGH LEVEL and my idea of a HIGH LEVEL are quite in sync.

Then, just when I'm going through all of this - a band comes in with an amazing drummer who is about to become available, that also happens to really love our material.

Meant to be? I dunno, but my wheels are definitely spinning relentlessly.

Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/25 10:19:22 (permalink)
In a situation like this, you have to do what's best for the "team"......even if it's a difficult thing to do. If the rest of the band is also in agreement with this move, then you have to do what you have to do...... It's not going to be easy in telling him the news, but be honest and compassion towards him when doing it.  

Best of luck!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
UbiquitousBubba
  • Total Posts : 8912
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/25 13:40:04 (permalink)
How people approach this may vary depending on the purpose of the band. If the band exists as a business venture, one might handle this differently than if the band is just playing for fun. It's one thing to play with friends for fun. It's another to be friends with fellow professionals who are playing for money.

Since it appears that your band falls into the "business venture" category, I'd suggest that the best approach would be a professional one. While it may be a difficult conversation, you have the right and the responsibility to make changes that will benefit the profitability of the band. It's a business, after all. If you are straightforward and make it clear that this is a business decision, his response is up to him. He may be angry or hurt by the decision, but that's his choice. If he's a professional, then he'll respond like one. If not, then you're probably better off making this cut sooner rather than later. 

Playing with friends is fun. You accept one another and enjoy each other's company. The emphasis is on having a good time and just hanging out. Going into business with friends is different. When friends work together, they sometimes run into situations where tough decisions have to be made for the good of the business even if that might hurt someone's feelings. When this happens, I think it helps to remind everyone involved that this is first and foremost a for-profit venture. While you may be friends, you are also co-workers (or in an employer-employee relationship). You can maintain a friendship even if you can no longer continue to work together.

Every professional band has to determine for themselves what they value. Fire Pete Best and hire Ringo? Tell the label you'd rather walk away from a contract than replace your good buddy? Making a sound business decision does not mean you're a cold-hearted jerk. Likewise, choosing friendship over profitability does not mean you're a sentimental fool. You have to decide what you want and what you can live with. If you decide to replace him, just be honest and professional. 
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/25 17:28:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2014/07/25 17:39:30
Such a dilemma...........

Here's what I did for ya........

I sent poor ole Billy a link to this page...... I think he's gotten the message.

You can thank me later.........
spindlebox
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/25 23:16:08 (permalink)
Well, if that's true Paulo that would definitely be an **** move.  But nothing I can do about that.

spindlebox
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 02:58:14 (permalink)
I want to thank everyone here for their comments, and even though I think I know what I need to do, I still need to put a lot of thought into this.  I am going to observe my current drummer over the next month - at rehearsal, recording and LIVE, and also talk to this other drummer in the meantime, perhaps get together with him and jam.  Who knows?  It may be that this guy could be a nightmare to work with, as talented as he is.  I want to get an assignment together for him - he's up for learning some demos that I've written - to see what his work ethic and writing ability is like. 

So yeah, other than Paulo's statement above - which makes me incredibly uneasy and I hope is a joke - thanks to everyone for your input.  I have worked very hard on this band, and as the leader, have always been the decision maker.  But this is one decision ESPECIALLY that I need everyone on board with.  It is probably one of the most important, and difficult things I have had to face with this band to date.

paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 05:13:00 (permalink)
spindlebox
Well, if that's true Paulo that would definitely be an **** move.  But nothing I can do about that.

Definitely not true at all - I would never do anything like that. This is the CH - everything here is BS and buffoonery. I figured you'd been around these parts long enough to realise that. My bad. No offence intended.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make in my roundabout way was that discussing your friend's faults on a public page on the www kinda leaves you wide open to them seeing it or someone else they know seeing it and making sure that they see it. Maybe not the best idea, is all I'm saying.

I hope that whatever decision you make turns out to be the right one.
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 09:28:42 (permalink)
Two drummers, a la Doobies and Allmans?
A. It might upset the first drummer enough that he quits. That happened in one band I was in, though it wasn't intentional.
2. The new drummer might cause the first drummer to up his game, seeing how talented the new guy is. 

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
spindlebox
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 10:18:29 (permalink)
Paulo, sorry back.  I haven't been around here for a while, and I don't know you - so I had NO idea!  Thanks I feel better. Honestly, it wouldn't have been more than an inconvenience for me, but it could have hurt him very bad - something that I'm strongly hoping can be avoided.

But I have also avoided the use of his or my band name in this conversation, even deleting my band info from my signature that was there.  I'm really just on here for advice, not to "out" anyone.  I realize the risks of using a public forum for this, but my attempt at anonymity I hope works - I just really wanted to get outside opinions, for this very difficult predicament I find myself and my band in.  My current drummer doesn't cruise forums like this, and this thread should not pop up in search engines.

No, this change - if it DOES happen, needs to happen in a face to face sit down with the entire band.  Any other way, would be pure cowardice.  After all we have experienced together, we owe each other that.

craigb
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 11:31:04 (permalink)
spindlebox
But I have also avoided the use of his or my band name in this conversation, even deleting my band info from my signature that was there.  I'm really just on here for advice, not to "out" anyone.  I realize the risks of using a public forum for this, but my attempt at anonymity I hope works - I just really wanted to get outside opinions, for this very difficult predicament I find myself and my band in.  My current drummer doesn't cruise forums like this, and this thread should not pop up in search engines.

To this end, I've edited my original post and removed my link to another thread since that did have your band name in it.  Good luck on the decision Scott!

spindlebox
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 11:51:09 (permalink)
Thank you Craig!!  Hope you're enjoying the tunes. :)
Scott

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 11:56:58 (permalink)
craigb

To this end, I've edited my original post and removed my link to another thread since that did have your band name in it.  Good luck on the decision Scott!

But the spiders have already logged the archives.

Think before you post man. Or you'll end up like me. 
spindlebox
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 12:01:58 (permalink)
Bapu, you and I may be more similar than I may be willing to admit!

Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 12:07:56 (permalink)
Sorry for the late post. 
Because your current drummer has been with you for some time and you do risk the chance of losing both drummers if you let the old one go and new just doesn't work out for some reason, you might want to consider this:
Have a serious talk with your current drummer and let him know that he is risking being replaced unless he comes around and takes his role more seriously.  Tell the potential new drummer that is what you are doing.  
Everything is now out in the open.  Tell the old drummer what is acceptable and not.  Make a date to followup with this issue.  The old drummer will either quit on the spot, agree to be more responsible, or do nothing to change.  You will then have your answer.  
In business, the HR department is obligated to follow these kind of steps with the current employee who is falling short on their job responsibilities.  You always start with communicating the issue, followup, followup, and then decide if it can work in the long haul or not.  At least you give the employee a clear understanding (verbal and written) on the issues.  
Good luck.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
bapu
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 12:08:18 (permalink)
If you decide to make the change send him this:

spindlebox
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 12:18:15 (permalink)
Rimshot
Sorry for the late post. 
Because your current drummer has been with you for some time and you do risk the chance of losing both drummers if you let the old one go and new just doesn't work out for some reason, you might want to consider this:
Have a serious talk with your current drummer and let him know that he is risking being replaced unless he comes around and takes his role more seriously.  Tell the potential new drummer that is what you are doing.  
Everything is now out in the open.  Tell the old drummer what is acceptable and not.  Make a date to followup with this issue.  The old drummer will either quit on the spot, agree to be more responsible, or do nothing to change.  You will then have your answer.  
In business, the HR department is obligated to follow these kind of steps with the current employee who is falling short on their job responsibilities.  You always start with communicating the issue, followup, followup, and then decide if it can work in the long haul or not.  At least you give the employee a clear understanding (verbal and written) on the issues.  
Good luck.

Thank you Rimshot.  That would all be good, if the issues were strictly behavioral - but most of my reasons are for ability.  That is just something that, after 30 years of playing - if you haven't acheived it - you never will.

craigb
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 12:18:46 (permalink)
bapu
If you decide to make the change send him this:

I'd rather be drop kicked without warning and have my short-ones set on fire.

bapu
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 12:25:15 (permalink)
This thread reminds me of why I decided to stop playing in live bands.

With no disrespect to Scott, there is just too much potential for drama (for me) in the live "BAND" situation. I've been there and done that. I was never fired but I have been on the firing side. I did quit one band. The guitarist went on to become a respected producer (now in Nashville).

I do have to agree with the notion that a public forum is probably not the best place to discuss personal matters like this.
craigb
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 12:27:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2014/07/26 12:21:37
bapu
I do have to agree with the notion that a public forum is probably not the best place to discuss personal matters like this.

That reminds me, there's something we've been meaning to talk to you about...

I guess we should start a new thread for it.  

spindlebox
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 12:55:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2014/07/26 13:35:29
Bapu - you are COLD! 

spindlebox
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 18:51:07 (permalink)
http://www.reverbnation.c...-sleep-deprived-sample

Here is a sample of this drummer in action. It is hard to believe he is only 20.

post edited by spindlebox - 2014/07/26 19:03:09

bapu
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 19:00:32 (permalink)
Nope, blank page Scott.
spindlebox
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 19:09:36 (permalink)
Fixed it!!

Schafe
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 151
Re: Band Member Blues 2014/07/26 19:10:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby spindlebox 2014/07/26 19:05:30
This probably won't be to much help in your exact situation but you may get an inspiration or two from this link about the Beatles drummer issues. Good luck... it always hurts to hurt a friend.....but sometimes it just has to be done!!
http://blogcritics.org/the-beatles-many-drummers/

Asus Intel i7 -3770K 4.2 GHZ,16 GB Ram,Samsung 500 GB SSD,3 TB HD, Dual 27" Monitors, Windows 10, Motu 896mk3 interface, Behringer Eurolive B208d's, Roland A-800 pro Keyboard, Sonar Platinum, Melodyne  Editor, Kontakt5, Jackson Charvel, Fiddles and things.
Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1