Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
i8ipop
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 568
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 22:27:58 (permalink)
The Grapes of Wrath.

Cheers lads...good music. Great to hear you had such a cool experience meeting the band Cryo, it's always nice when you meet a band and they don't have the pretense of being anything other than a bunch of guys that play music.

Still raining...still dreaming!
i8ipop
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 568
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 22:37:48 (permalink)
At 38 years old, they are still my favorite influence. I was weird at 16 trying to get my friends to listen to this "old" band

bizarre, I'm 37 and at 15 was heavily into the beatles and plenty of other 60's music too. my friends also thought i was abit ood for it.

Still raining...still dreaming!
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/21 11:25:19 (permalink)
i don't think there will be another Beatles until there is another "Lenon/McCartney. Their songs were their strength along with charisma.

I have to agree. The defining factor that made the Beatles such a paradigm changer, was the song writing talents of Lennon & McCartney. When another song writing team like that comes along... with some luck and a good band, they might change the music scene again.... but until then..... no.

No band has had the influence that the Beatles have had. Some bands did big things, but they were simply building on what the Beatles started.

Just MHO.
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/03/21 11:31:32

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/21 13:57:00 (permalink)
It's a shame, I think, when the Beatles are mentioned that all to often George Harrison is not included in the song writing admiration or credited.
It seems his accomplishments after the break-up would remove any doubt of his abilities. I'm can't imagine that he acquired such skills only after the split.
At any rate it was everything, all of them, the producer, the time, the place....everything. It all lined up. It was a complete package. If something like that happens again we will know. I believe we know it hasn't yet and not sure how something like that could happen again.

mythmonkey
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/21 15:41:52 (permalink)
I think Oasis is being marketed as the new beetles.

That's my guess.

---
http://www.paralelof.com
http://www.elgusto.tv
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/21 15:46:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mythmonkey

I think Oasis is being marketed as the new beetles.

That's my guess.

---
http://www.paralelof.com
http://www.elgusto.tv

That would be like saying The Quireboys are the new Led Zeppelin...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
j_T
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/21 17:03:28 (permalink)
ABBA

Regards,

Tommy
mgh
  • Total Posts : 8594
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/21 18:35:05 (permalink)
i still say metallica...fairly standard first album followed by increasingly technical albums until '...and justice for all' (sgt peppers)....a band member leaves before the band gets famous and is never reconciled (dave mustaine)...band personalities nearly tear the band apart (lars and james/paul and john)...both bands create and define a genre....obviosuly in metallica's case, they had a hit album, very much less technical than ajfa (akin to the lennon solo album) and have continuted for longer...this is where the beatles would have ended up...

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
Cromberger
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/21 19:20:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

I don't know, I think U2 might very well have similar iconic status. The real foil to comparing the Beatles to anyone is the fact that A) the broke up completely, and B) Lennon is dead... it is nearly impossible for a living artist to reach the same level of "myth" as the Beatles until the artists start to die off. What will we say of the Stones, or The Who when they all die?

Hi, foxwolfen,

U2 is a great and influential band, no doubt about it. But to compare them to the Beatles is stretching things a bit. I don't know how old you are but I'm guessing you didn't live through "Beatlemania" in the sixties. It was like nothing I'd seen before and, certainly, nothing like I've seen since.

Even bands of the stature of U2 will never capture the spirit, the nearly universal popularity, the identification with an entire generation and point in time that the Beatles did. It's not "myth" that a living artist has to live up to to become Beatle-esque, it's *reality*.

The Beatles were one of the most gigantic popular phenomenon in the history of the world. They achieved this while they were all quite alive. They literally were legends in their own time.

Bands like U2 may have similar sensibilities to the live Beatles but they don't even get in the same ball park as far as social impact on pop culture. In my opinion, the Beatles will go down in history books as an amazing social phenomenon. I can't think of any band, before or since, that will get more than a footnote in history books, by comparison.

Disclaimer. I'm not now, nor have I ever been, a big Beatles fan. I much preferred the more "dangerous", blues-oriented, raw sexuality of bands like the Stones to the Beatles. But the Beatles were The Beatles and nobody else is likely to come close to their impact, in my opinion, for a very long time, indeed.

Best regards,
Bill

Sonar Platinum
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Studio Cat DAW
Intel I-950 Processor
6 Gigs RAM
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
Mackie HR824 Monitors
Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/21 19:57:52 (permalink)
Cromberger, but lets face it 60's and now... things were more straight forward..

me being born in the 70's .. growing up in the 80's... TV is a very good example.. we had 3 channels for years.. now there is about 4329874983274329 + the internet etc.

viewing figures, for tv.. well when video recorders weren't about people had to stay in to watch...

the equivalent now I guess is sky + / tivo etc.. you can fast forward the adverts with ease, much to the annoyance of advertisers
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/22 03:55:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

Cromberger, but lets face it 60's and now... things were more straight forward..

me being born in the 70's .. growing up in the 80's... TV is a very good example.. we had 3 channels for years.. now there is about 4329874983274329 + the internet etc.

viewing figures, for tv.. well when video recorders weren't about people had to stay in to watch...

the equivalent now I guess is sky + / tivo etc.. you can fast forward the adverts with ease, much to the annoyance of advertisers

Well I was born in 1960, and I agree, things seemed more straightforward as regards popular music when I was growing up - it was 'listened to', not 'watched', apart from Top of The Pops and The Old Grey Whistle Test (about 90 minutes a week in total!)...radio and records, records and radio, is where I found music.

If the 'new Beatles' appeared now I don't think anyone would even notice..my girls flick through 2-3 second bursts of the pop channels on Sky with all the attention span of slightly distracted goldfish

I do believe though, that within their brief existence, The Fab Four touched on or kick-started just about every facet of today's music - it won't happen again, because rock and pop has such a narrow scope...what could be done, has been done.

(I don't own a single Beatles CD btw)

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Jessie Sammler
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2111
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/22 05:10:16 (permalink)
Disclaimer. I'm not now, nor have I ever been, a big Beatles fan. I much preferred the more "dangerous", blues-oriented, raw sexuality of bands like the Stones to the Beatles. But the Beatles were The Beatles and nobody else is likely to come close to their impact, in my opinion, for a very long time, indeed.

+1 I'm a tepid Beatles fan at best, but even I know that no other band really compares in terms of influence and social impact. The only solo act that's in the ballpark is Elvis.
foxwolfen
  • Total Posts : 8256
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/22 11:47:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Cromberger

I don't know, I think U2 might very well have similar iconic status. The real foil to comparing the Beatles to anyone is the fact that A) the broke up completely, and B) Lennon is dead... it is nearly impossible for a living artist to reach the same level of "myth" as the Beatles until the artists start to die off. What will we say of the Stones, or The Who when they all die?

Hi, foxwolfen,

U2 is a great and influential band, no doubt about it. But to compare them to the Beatles is stretching things a bit. I don't know how old you are but I'm guessing you didn't live through "Beatlemania" in the sixties. It was like nothing I'd seen before and, certainly, nothing like I've seen since.

Even bands of the stature of U2 will never capture the spirit, the nearly universal popularity, the identification with an entire generation and point in time that the Beatles did. It's not "myth" that a living artist has to live up to to become Beatle-esque, it's *reality*.

The Beatles were one of the most gigantic popular phenomenon in the history of the world. They achieved this while they were all quite alive. They literally were legends in their own time.

Bands like U2 may have similar sensibilities to the live Beatles but they don't even get in the same ball park as far as social impact on pop culture. In my opinion, the Beatles will go down in history books as an amazing social phenomenon. I can't think of any band, before or since, that will get more than a footnote in history books, by comparison.

Best regards,
Bill

You make some good points, but I think we need to put it into context of "when" as much as "who". Kids were for the first time ever breaking away from the traditional role of "seen but not heard" in society and society was for the first time catering to their needs (The only other time of such youthful expression might be the roaring 20's, but at that time the kids were most definitely not catered to (even Elvis had huge barriers recall). Information was much more available in the form of television and hysteria is transmittable (this is well established). Yet is was Elvis, as mentioned, was IMO responsible for that new trend of "deifying" a celebrity (as they said, they were bigger than Jesus, and they were right).

So in that sense, that the time of the Beatles was unique and will not likely occur again in the same manner. They were the first to really benefit from this now more youth centered society, and so get the attention like any other "first".

But most influential, this is not something I am willing to give them wholly.

What makes them unique I think is the level of attribution that we place on them. We say they were ground breaking, but in many ways they were a lot more like Madonna than Bob Dylan. The really were not the first to do anything. Other bands had done what they made popular before. We seem to feel that they ruled the charts the entire time the were together, but they did not. They were influenced as much as they influenced.

When I think about the seventies, the Beatles were mostly forgotten. Bands like Led Zeppelin and Kiss made the Beatles seem like our parents music. PM & The Wings made OK music, John Lennon and Yoko were a joke as was Ringo Starr, while George was kinda odd. Nobody I knew had any Beatles albums. Deep purple, sure. The Who, sure. Sabbath, sure. And sure the ex-Beatles members made good music, but the hysteria had long passed and they seemed to be heading the same way of other big name acts, when suddenly John Lennon is murdered on the street in public.

Boom... martyr, hero, immortal, icon.

Even I started to listen to them again. Started picking up their albums. Why? Because the were suddenly now Gone Forever. Everything Changed.

Now, I do not know if you have seen some of U2s public events, but there have been just as many fawning, screaming fainting teen girls as was seen in any Beatles event. They draw massive crowds and have a massive and loyal fan following. As they are still active, we will have a hard time identifying where their music may be influential as its still evolving.

So I guess only time will answer the question.

(PS we're close to the same age )

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
Cromberger
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/22 20:52:16 (permalink)

You make some good points, but I think we need to put it into context of "when" as much as "who". Kids were for the first time ever breaking away from the traditional role of "seen but not heard" in society and society was for the first time catering to their needs

Hi, foxwolfen,

Indeed, what you are saying, above, was a large part of my entire point. The Beatles phenomenon was as much a function or *when* it happened as *who* did it. If it hadn't been the Beatles, themselves, it would have been another band that caught the imagination of not only the kids, but the hustlers, advertisers, hanger's-on and everyone else who benefited in one way or another from the Beatles phenomenon and whose interests were served by it.

Society, in general was ripe for exactly what happened. And I also agree with you that Elvis, among st other of the original Rock and Roll folks, like Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, paved the way for the Beatles to influence society in the way they did. Since original Rock and Roll was literally squashed by the govt. as being too subversive and evil for our wonderful, pure kids, it was bound to come back with a vengeance via a group who challenged the social norms, but not to blatantly at first. The Beatles certainly fitted this criteria. After all, their very modest hairdo's were considered radical at the time, yet a large segment of the population found the Beatles "cute" and way less threatening that Little Richard, etc.. This allowed them to gain the degree of popularity that they did at the beginning.

So in that sense, that the time of the Beatles was unique and will not likely occur again in the same manner. They were the first to really benefit from this now more youth centered society, and so get the attention like any other "first".

Absolutely correct. Like some very smart person once said: Timing is everything. ;>)

But most influential, this is not something I am willing to give them wholly.

I think I know what you are saying and I agree. The Beatles were highly influential due to the fact that the public went nuts over them, giving them a pretty powerful pulpit from which to pontificate, as it were.

What makes them unique I think is the level of attribution that we place on them. We say they were ground breaking, but in many ways they were a lot more like Madonna than Bob Dylan. The really were not the first to do anything. Other bands had done what they made popular before. We seem to feel that they ruled the charts the entire time the were together, but they did not. They were influenced as much as they influenced.

I totally agree with this. The Beatles did not invent a new form of music or expression at all. The fact is, George Martin employed all sorts of techniques and chordal structures from the 1930's for some of the pop tunes the Beatles did and used music concrete and other modern compositional ideas from other famous composers to fill out "masterpieces" like Sgt. Peppers, Magical Mystery Tour, etc.. There's no really new ideas that were introduced by the Beatles themselves, per se. Nevertheless, they must get credit for their incredible abilities at writing very good, melodic pop songs. But lets not forget that it wasn't just the Beatles *music* that made them what they were to society, it was their entire image, which was cultivated by their handlers and the press and society in general like an orchid garden.

When I think about the seventies, the Beatles were mostly forgotten. Bands like Led Zeppelin and Kiss made the Beatles seem like our parents music. PM & The Wings made OK music, John Lennon and Yoko were a joke as was Ringo Starr, while George was kinda odd. Nobody I knew had any Beatles albums. Deep purple, sure. The Who, sure. Sabbath, sure. And sure the ex-Beatles members made good music, but the hysteria had long passed and they seemed to be heading the same way of other big name acts, when suddenly John Lennon is murdered on the street in public.

I'm not sure I'd agree that the Beatles were so quickly forgotten in the '70's. Sure, other big bands came along to take the spotlight from the no-longer viable Beatles, but the influence of the Beatles, for better or worse, was still very much alive, at least where I lived at the time.

It's also true, as you say, above, that the Beatles were way more than the sum of their parts, musicianship wise. The four of them together (along with George Martin) put together some incredible collaborative efforts. Individually, their collective output is, to me, quite disappointing and even forgettable. If they hadn't come from the infamous Beatles, I doubt that Ringo would have ever had a solo career, George would be unlikely to have been a big star, either. Maybe John could have been a big star on his own--but I have my doubts. In my mind, only Paul probably would have made it on his own as a pop song writer. But I doubt he'd have achieved the sort of fame he did as a solo act if he hadn't been part of the Beatles. Just my personal opinions, of course, and I'm sure I'll get flamed into oblivion for them.

Boom... martyr, hero, immortal, icon.

I think John was an enormous icon way before he was killed. The murder certainly raised the level to martyr, I suppose, but he was already an historic figure before that senseless act.

Now, I do not know if you have seen some of U2s public events, but there have been just as many fawning, screaming fainting teen girls as was seen in any Beatles event. They draw massive crowds and have a massive and loyal fan following. As they are still active, we will have a hard time identifying where their music may be influential as its still evolving.

As I have said before, there is no doubt that U2 is a great and influential band. But, seriously, they simply didn't arrive at a time in history in the same way that the Beatles did. I simply don't see U2, or any other currently huge band, becoming the voice of an entire generation, worldwide, like the Beatles did. The conditions simply don't exist currently to let that happen. Plus, the world is a much different place now and everything moves so much more quickly now than it did then. It's a tribute to U2 that they've managed to have a long-term career in the pop music field since so few have achieved the same thing in the past twenty something years. Record companies don't nurture new acts, they suck them dry of their one or two radio hits and spit them out in search of the next two-minute wonder. Back in the Beatles day, bands actually had a shot at having a modest career in the music business. That's a thing of the past. The collective attention span of human beings has been significantly reduced by the speed of world-wide communication and that has a huge effect on what we, as humans, pay attention to. Makes me sick, personally.

So I guess only time will answer the question.

You're probably right about this. Who knows, maybe this current global financial crisis will become the rallying cry for the current generation of young people. And maybe U2 will become the voice of these pissed-off kids, like the Beatles did for our generation. As you said, only time will tell. But I'm not going to hold my breath to see if this happens.

(PS we're close to the same age )

Then we old farts better stick together! ;>)

Best regards,
Bill

Sonar Platinum
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Studio Cat DAW
Intel I-950 Processor
6 Gigs RAM
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
Mackie HR824 Monitors
foxwolfen
  • Total Posts : 8256
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/22 21:10:02 (permalink)
I find I am unable to determine anything that I disagree with in your reply

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/24 00:10:33 (permalink)
Barenaked Ladies (still do. Although, with Steven Paige quitting, hard to say if it will be the same).
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1