Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2009/03/19 19:35:41 (permalink)

Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you?

Back in the 70s and 80s, there were tons of bands that were promoted as "potentially the next Beatles". None of them made it for me.

However, there is one band that I have continued to listen to long after they broke up (or at least quit releasing anything I didn't already own). XTC. They never really caught on here in the US, other than Dear God - perhaps my least favorite song of theirs.

I have all of the studio albums from White Music through Wasp Star. The parallels are very similar to me. They evolved from a punk/new wave band that was also pretty catchy and melodic to something much more by the time English Settlement (Senses Working Overtime is such a great song)

Psonic Psunspot under the Dukes of Stratosphear was so psychedelic it was hard not to draw analogies to Lennon-style psych from the 60s. Skylarking and Oranges and Lemons were nearly perfect from the lead in groove on side one to the lead out groove on side 2. Nonsuch was another fabulous. Apple Venus (V1 and 2) were much more matured...

Incredible harmonies. Excellent production (Todd Rundgrenn was a wizard, a true star with Skylarking). Major departures from the norms of rock music. 1000 umbrellas kind of calls back memories of Elanor Rigby, with a string quartet only with vocals. Summer's Cauldron/Grass - I am not sure how you would even categorize that. The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead - a great rock song with a good story.

Anyway - an incredible band with a few of moments, but a way higher percentage on than almost any band I know of.

It was a shame that these guys never got the popularity they deserved in the US.

So that is my nomination for "Almost the next Beatles". If you are too young to have heard of the Beatles or not a fan, do you have someone who had as massive of an evolution with as high of a success rate? If you are old enough to have heard of the Beatles, who would you put near them?

Thanks

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

45 Replies Related Threads

AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/19 19:37:55 (permalink)
    Funny...I was thinking about this yesterday as I look at the entire combined media blitz and popularity of the Jonas Brothers. They could be it...and I'm rooting for them because them seem like good, clean guys. How refreshing.

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/19 19:42:10 (permalink)
    The Grapes of Wrath. No surprise that the two main songwriters were heavily influenced by the Fab Four.

I Am Here

Peace of Mind

And, one of my favorite songs of all time:

Backward Town

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/19 19:47:04 (permalink)
    Who are the Beatles?

But seriously, I can only think of one:
    Wings

But some of the members were missing.

- zevo
    space_cowboy
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/19 19:59:21 (permalink)
    Cryo
    Good one. I am going to have to look them up. Here I thought you were all about techno/electronica and hot girls. Hah.

Zevo - hah. Good one. Wings was the other Beatle - right?

Andy - huh? Do people actually listen to them? No offense if you like them. I like some odd stuff - like Lothar and the Hand People. I saw a documentary on South Park that made me think the Jonas Brothers were a Disney creation to make young girls swoon.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/19 20:12:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Andy - huh? Do people actually listen to them? No offense if you like them. I like some odd stuff - like Lothar and the Hand People. I saw a documentary on South Park that made me think the Jonas Brothers were a Disney creation to make young girls swoon.

I didn't say I listened to them...I am saying that the level of hype, success and media attention to these guys reminds me of the videos I have seen about Beatlemania(I wasn't born then, remember? ). I also like their clean-cut image, which appears to be sincere...this makes them a hit with parents. They are indeed a creation to make young girls swoon....just like the Beatles were, right?

BTW...anyone who can sell 10 Million albums on their last two releases means people actually listen to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Brothers_discography

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    space_cowboy
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/19 20:14:25 (permalink)
    Ok Ok - didnt mean to come across wrong. I agree from that perspective. I was asking more from the music, lyrics...

By the way, do not stop your car. Speed up. That happened to me once.

tecknot
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 766
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/19 20:41:43 (permalink)
    I might be missing the point of your thread, but I don't think any band could approach the diverse music styles which The Beatle created. Nonetheless, one band that I came to really appreciate for their ever changing style from album to album was the Stone Temple Pilots. Of course, they may never have the expansive library as The Beatles, but of the more modern bands I think they made more interesting music than the bands of their time (including Nirvana and Pearl Jam). The Beatles they are not, but note worthy in my book.

Kind regards,

tecknot
    jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/19 22:14:57 (permalink)
    The Greenberry Woods. To me they were indeed the "next Beatles". Only two underappreciated albums, but great stuff nonetheless.
    ParanoiA
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 747
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/19 22:52:12 (permalink)
    Yeah, I'm kind of with technot here in that one of things I love so much about the Beatles is the ability to be diverse ridiculously successfully. That's always been the catch for many eclectic bands. They may cover a number of styles, but dependably subpar, and no ear for melody. John and Paul were a freaking songwriting machine wonder team, I swear. At 38 years old, they are still my favorite influence. I was weird at 16 trying to get my friends to listen to this "old" band. I'm still weird now trying to get my kids to listen to them - though it's not difficult at all, kids get the Beatles, instantly.

With all of that said, my personal choice would be Radiohead. Definitely have come the closest to the next Beatles in my world.
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 00:49:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cryophonik

The Grapes of Wrath. No surprise that the two main songwriters were heavily influenced by the Fab Four.

I Am Here

Peace of Mind

And, one of my favorite songs of all time:

Backward Town

Up till this point, i would have thought nobody other than myself would have heard of them.

This is, however, by far my favorite.
    All the things I wasn't

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 01:53:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: foxwolfen

Up till this point, i would have thought nobody other than myself would have heard of them.

Same here! The Grapes of Wrath have been my favorite band since the day I first heard "Misunderstanding" back in 1985 - I ran out and bought "September Bowl of Green" (their first album) the very next day. About a dozen of of us caravaned across the state of Michigan to see them play at a festival in Windsor, Ontario during their "These Days" tour back in 1990. We got there hours before the show and when we walked by the huge tent that they were playing in, we heard them doing their soundcheck, so we stood in the entry watching. When they finished, they invited us in and we hung out with them for a few hours drinking beer and just talking about their band, our band, etc. Those guys are really cool and very down-to-earth (aren't all Canadians?!). We were front/center stage the entire show and, when they came out for their second encore, they gave us a shout-out and finished with my favorite song ("Backward Town"). Best show ever.

A few years later, Kevin Kane left the band and the remaining guys went on to form Ginger. They played a show in Ann Arbor, so one of my buddies and I made the trip down to see them. We got there early, hoping to run into them again. As soon as we walked in the door, there was Tom, Chris, and Vincent hanging out drinking beer. As soon as they saw us, they all jumped up and were like "Hey! We were hoping our American buddies would show up!" More beer, more chatting with a bunch of great guys and phenomenal musicians, and a great show to follow.

Anyway, Shad, I don't know if you already know this, but Kevin Kane and Tom Hooper reunited back in 2000 with an excellent album entitled "Field Trip." Both of them have released excellent solo albums as well, particularly Kevin's "Neighborhood Watch" album. Tom Hooper's solo album "The Unexplored Cosmos" is very Beatle-esque.

All the things I wasn't

Another great GOW song and video (and album). Bringing this thread back OT, is that a Lennon album at 0:39?
    post edited by cryophonik - 2009/03/20 02:08:18

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 02:30:21 (permalink)
    The Rutles.
    Oasis....

sreiously, for genre defining ground breaking progressive risk taking records, i gotta say Metallica.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 03:45:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

Back in the 70s and 80s, there were tons of bands that were promoted as "potentially the next Beatles". None of them made it for me.

However, there is one band that I have continued to listen to long after they broke up (or at least quit releasing anything I didn't already own). XTC. They never really caught on here in the US, other than Dear God - perhaps my least favorite song of theirs.

I have all of the studio albums from White Music through Wasp Star. The parallels are very similar to me. They evolved from a punk/new wave band that was also pretty catchy and melodic to something much more by the time English Settlement (Senses Working Overtime is such a great song)

Psonic Psunspot under the Dukes of Stratosphear was so psychedelic it was hard not to draw analogies to Lennon-style psych from the 60s. Skylarking and Oranges and Lemons were nearly perfect from the lead in groove on side one to the lead out groove on side 2. Nonsuch was another fabulous. Apple Venus (V1 and 2) were much more matured...

Incredible harmonies. Excellent production (Todd Rundgrenn was a wizard, a true star with Skylarking). Major departures from the norms of rock music. 1000 umbrellas kind of calls back memories of Elanor Rigby, with a string quartet only with vocals. Summer's Cauldron/Grass - I am not sure how you would even categorize that. The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead - a great rock song with a good story.

Anyway - an incredible band with a few of moments, but a way higher percentage on than almost any band I know of.

It was a shame that these guys never got the popularity they deserved in the US.

So that is my nomination for "Almost the next Beatles". If you are too young to have heard of the Beatles or not a fan, do you have someone who had as massive of an evolution with as high of a success rate? If you are old enough to have heard of the Beatles, who would you put near them?

Thanks

Warms my heart to see Andy and the boys mentioned in such high esteem. Wonderful stuff with all the qualities you mentioned.

English Settlement remains my favourite of theirs, that blend of quirky pop with the acoustic pastoral sound. It also reminds me of the blasting our band got for using all their gear in the rehearsal studio...

Nothing groundbreaking in my choice but for sheer quality songwriting I'm going to go for Del Amitri.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Jessie Sammler
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2111
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 04:09:18 (permalink)
    Led Zeppelin is the closest thing for me. Their fusion of blues and hard rock has been influencing other bands almost as long as the Beatles have, and for me they're the bridge into so many other musical styles outside the rock family, I kind of can't imagine music without them.
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 05:00:13 (permalink)
    English Settlement remains my favourite of theirs

It would have to be a Desert Island Disk for me. Beautiful stuff.

I remember seeing them at a small pub-rock venue in Stoke Newington probably Mid 70s. I helped them pack up after the gig. I've still got the 12 inch single I bought just afterwards.

Andy is one of the very few real English song writers.

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    Nick P
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3112
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 07:54:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tecknot

I might be missing the point of your thread...

You just got the point of most of his threads....pointless.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!
    jamesg1213
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 08:52:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: edentowers

English Settlement remains my favourite of theirs

It would have to be a Desert Island Disk for me. Beautiful stuff.

I remember seeing them at a small pub-rock venue in Stoke Newington probably Mid 70s. I helped them pack up after the gig. I've still got the 12 inch single I bought just afterwards.

Andy is one of the very few real English song writers.

Agreed, I think he carried on where Ray Davies left off.

Jyemz

Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 09:04:41 (permalink)
    I don't know if I'd call the "The Next Beatles," but I saw The National last May and haven't been able to listen to much ever since. And for someone that listens to music at least 6-8 hours a day, that's saying something!

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 09:19:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jamesg1213
    Nothing groundbreaking in my choice but for sheer quality songwriting I'm going to go for Del Amitri.

where are they from then Jamesy? or am I the last to know ... nothing ever changes huh? hehe

it depends when you say close.. obv. Noel said oasis was heavily influenced.

look at the bands / people about the time of the beatles.. who else comes to mind? stones / kinks are 2 things that come to my thoughts.

the turn around in music is far more these days. as for people doing something different, I'll go with radiohead , boards of canada and 4hero.. to name but 3 of many. I think thats part of it with the beatles (and the 5th one) , they tried to do something cutting edge.

people like Kate Bush etc.. her stuff was different , but in a good way.

too many angles with it, regarding writing / how they used equipment / how long they been going.

if Macca wasn't a beatle would he have sold so many albums now?

post edited by Fog - 2009/03/20 09:22:02
    jamesg1213
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 09:22:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fog

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

where are they from then Jamesy? or am I the last to know ... nothing ever changes huh? hehe

See, again Paul..no cigar!

Nothing Ever HAPPENS

They also wrote the only football song I can bear to listen to;

Don't Come Home Too Soon

..'course they were out in the first round...
    post edited by jamesg1213 - 2009/03/20 09:28:57

Jyemz

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 09:40:28 (permalink)
    Cowboy, XTC may not have hit it big in the states, but they've been one of my all time favorite bands for 20 years, ranking up there with the Beatles and Elvis Costello. Right up until Andy started releasing batches of home demoes and such. Frankly, I can't figure out why they stopped recording, although once Dave left the band they simply weren't the same in spite of Andy's songwriting. I'm still trying to figure out how to do bgvs like those fellas. They out Beach-Boys the Beach Boys for harmonies

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    godino
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 401
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 10:46:11 (permalink)
    It would have to be Steely Dan for me

I heard 'Do it again' and 'Reeling in the Years' as singles and really liked them
    but when I heard the Royal Scam at college probably mid 70's I was knocked out - I immediately bought the album
    Since then Ive tried to keep up with everthing they have done, and am rarely disappointed

Also I'm a guitar player - need I say more - just the icing on the cake!
    post edited by godino - 2009/03/20 11:43:30

gordo

Sonar Platinum - intel I7 7700K - Windows 10 home 64 bit - focusrite 214i -  Roland Guitar Synth GR55 - Maschine Mk3 - Oxygen8 keyboard - Guitars basses etc
    foxwolfen
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 11:35:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cryophonik

Same here! The Grapes of Wrath have been my favorite band since the day I first heard "Misunderstanding" back in 1985 - I ran out and bought "September Bowl of Green" (their first album) the very next day. About a dozen of of us caravaned across the state of Michigan to see them play at a festival in Windsor, Ontario during their "These Days" tour back in 1990. We got there hours before the show and when we walked by the huge tent that they were playing in, we heard them doing their soundcheck, so we stood in the entry watching. When they finished, they invited us in and we hung out with them for a few hours drinking beer and just talking about their band, our band, etc. Those guys are really cool and very down-to-earth (aren't all Canadians?!). We were front/center stage the entire show and, when they came out for their second encore, they gave us a shout-out and finished with my favorite song ("Backward Town"). Best show ever.

A few years later, Kevin Kane left the band and the remaining guys went on to form Ginger. They played a show in Ann Arbor, so one of my buddies and I made the trip down to see them. We got there early, hoping to run into them again. As soon as we walked in the door, there was Tom, Chris, and Vincent hanging out drinking beer. As soon as they saw us, they all jumped up and were like "Hey! We were hoping our American buddies would show up!" More beer, more chatting with a bunch of great guys and phenomenal musicians, and a great show to follow.

Anyway, Shad, I don't know if you already know this, but Kevin Kane and Tom Hooper reunited back in 2000 with an excellent album entitled "Field Trip." Both of them have released excellent solo albums as well, particularly Kevin's "Neighborhood Watch" album. Tom Hooper's solo album "The Unexplored Cosmos" is very Beatle-esque.

All the things I wasn't

Another great GOW song and video (and album). Bringing this thread back OT, is that a Lennon album at 0:39?

I was actually wondering what happened to them. They seemed to be going really strong, then just fell off the face of the planet.

I had to laugh when I watched the vid and the collection of albums went by... it looked like my own.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 12:28:26 (permalink)
    in the 70's: it would have been Queen, for me.

in the 80's: Bob Marley and the Wailers, The Police, Talking Heads, and Van Halen make the list.

in the 90's: U2, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, STP, and Live

in the 1st half of the 2000's: A Perfect Circle, Radiohead, Tool, U2 (still hangin' in there)

in the 2nd half of the 2000's: Tool (still), Mogwai

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 12:58:40 (permalink)
    i don't think there will be another Beatles until there is another "Lenon/McCartney. Their songs were their strength along with charisma. If somebody already said this, oops, I didn't read the whole thing, I'm off to a meeting..

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 13:00:44 (permalink)
    In 2008, Billboard magazine released a list of top-selling Hot 100 artists to celebrate the chart's fiftieth anniversary; The Beatles topped it.- from wiki

If I consider everything about The Beatles there isn't a band that has come close. I think they are the band that all others are compared to and that may never change, but who knows?

If the music is the only factor for impact on me I would have to say it was Led Zeppelin that was next.

Addition..been listening to the radio at work all day today and put a home burned CD (of various artist) in because radio sucks...while working the tune that caught my attention and made me reach for the volume... Taxman...
    post edited by spacey - 2009/03/20 21:54:27
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 19:30:18 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: evadianepug

i don't think there will be another Beatles until there is another "Lennon/McCartney. Their songs were their strength along with charisma.

I agree completely and I'll go even one step beyond that: There will *never* be another Beatles, period, because the confluence of circumstances that created the Beatles will never happen again in history, or at least in the foreseeable future.

The Beatles were a creation of their time in social history, an intense and brilliant marketing campaign, plenty of payola and quid pro quo in getting air time in both England and the U.S., and tons of people wanting to cash in on the phenomenon.

The Beatles were a gigantic industry and they had a staggeringly huge audience to market their image/wares to----millions of baby boomers.

The fact that Lennon/McCartney turned out to be an incredible songwriting team and that George Martin was a brilliant arranger and musical guru to the Beatles is even more icing on the cake.

To me, the Beatles represent a perfect storm of talent and marketing that happened to occur at precisely the right moment in history. Nobody has, nor will, come close to this level of success on all the levels the Beatles did for a very long time, if ever.

To sum up my opinion, there's no point in asking who will be or who should have been the next Beatles. There's only one Beatles, and they lasted for only a few short years. Yet their influence on society will continue at least until the last of the baby boomers are dead and gone.

As far as the success of the Lennon/McCartney songwriting team, they had an amazing string of sublime hit songs.

But we shouldn't forget that their musical contemporaries, Jagger/Richards, have written, and continue to write, hundreds of great hit songs. Nevertheless, the Stones, as much as I love them, and as huge as they are, have never been, nor will they ever be, the Beatles. It's more than just songwriting that made the Beatles what they were/are. The Beatles were a cultural phenomenon and that's a once in a lifetime, or longer, happening.

Best regards,
    Bill

PS None of what I said above is meant to suggest that there aren't a lot of absolutely *great* bands out there now---obviously, there are. But none of them is going to come within light years of being considered "the next Beatles".

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    foxwolfen
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 21:36:46 (permalink)
    I don't know, I think U2 might very well have similar iconic status. The real foil to comparing the Beatles to anyone is the fact that A) the broke up completely, and B) Lennon is dead... it is nearly impossible for a living artist to reach the same level of "myth" as the Beatles until the artists start to die off. What will we say of the Stones, or The Who when they all die?

Composers Forum
    Roflcopter
    Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6767
    RE: Band that came closest to "The Next Beatles" for you? 2009/03/20 21:39:36 (permalink)
    The Monkees. I mean - why would they have given them a TV show, if they *weren't*? Kinda proves my point.
    post edited by Roflcopter - 2009/03/21 04:51:40

I'm a perfectionist, and perfect is a skinned knee.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1