Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers?

Author
jpetersen
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1499
2017/12/06 21:41:03 (permalink)

Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers?

Post disappeared after editing - second attempt

I got Band-in-a-Box earlier this year and did nothing with it.
Now I get an e-mail, upgrade offer $199 to 2018 version valid til end of December.
Also with add-on pack for $49. Will I bite? Yes!

But it makes me wonder about the business model:
You buy the product and get free updates to the end of the year.
Then you get an upgrade offer, no pressure, to the next year's version.
Even if you skip versions, there's always some discount tempting you back.

Then there's all the add-on packs coming out all the time, full of new styles, loops, etc.

And on YouTube there's  not just tutorials, but also people having a great time making fools of themselves with this thing.

BiaB is an auto-accompanist, sort-of toy, sort-of inspiration machine. Definitely no pro cred.
The base product is perfectly usable stand-alone, boosted by this steady stream of non-essential but enticing add-ons.

Why was the base bread and jam donuts model not successful for Cakewalk?

19 Replies Related Threads

azslow3
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3297
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/06 21:57:26 (permalink)
    What you need to know to use BIAB? Almost nothing... Super toy for wide audience, from noobs to pro music players/composers.

What you need to know to use mixing/mastering software? You start as in online shooter for the first time - one week you are killed during the first seconds of the battle, with no ideas from where

Watch old Cakewalk videos. Recording/mixing a song in 1 hour. Can a noob follow? And when it comes to "at the point we take already prepared chain from our friend since he is better at mastering..." you understand: "why I have bought Sonar and not BIAB"

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
    GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
    RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
    www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
    anydmusic
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/06 21:58:02 (permalink)
    I think that it's because BIAB is easier to use so no learning curve and most users want the new styles so buy content rather than features.

I skipped a few years but upgraded last year. No plans to upgrade now as I only use midi and there is no new content that interests me. When the program was midi only I upgraded more frequently to get the new styles. Especially when they added ones in a genre I play.

Graham
    Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
    Cubase 9.5
    Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
    Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
    IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
    Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
    Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
    jpetersen
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1499
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/06 23:18:05 (permalink)
    I'm comparing the business models, not the products per sé.

The EZDrums guys, ToonTracks, have the same model.
    Base product perfectly usable as-is, augmented by a growing library of reasonably-priced add-ons.

Come to think of it, there WAS a move at the Bakery to make Sonar easier to use.
    But it started and ended with the derided "Add Track" button.
    The community expressed concern that Sonar was being dumbed-down.

Craig started a thread to gather thoughts from the community about DAW ease-of-use.
    post edited by jpetersen - 2017/12/07 19:46:11
    Skyline_UK
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/06 23:40:57 (permalink)
    As I recall, that was going to be Sonar's model, i.e. every now and then a major new tool/facility was going to be introduced with a selling price for that special add-on.  None of these saw the light of day, so no new income streams came from the existing customer base.

Over the last few years they just haven't been good at implementing their no-doubt laudable plans (which will have formed a key part of initial and regular business presentations to their new owners), and Gibson's patience ran out.  Gibson have neen portrayed as the bad guys here, but the truth is that if CW had been delivering the profit and cash milestones in their five-year and annual plans then Sonar would still be alive.
    (I'll get me coat...)

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
    OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
    Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
    Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    Skyline_UK
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/06 23:40:58 (permalink)
    Dup.

My stuff

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 16GB RAM.
    OS & Programs drive: 240GB SSD
    Data drives: 1 x 1TB drive RAID mirrored, plus extra 1TB data drive 
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Cakewalk by BandLab 64 bit, Studio One 3, 
    Band In A Box 2016, Ozone 8
    + too many other plugins
    BandLab page
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/06 23:49:44 (permalink)
    BIAB wasn't bought by Gibson - end of story.

We are also comparing apples to oranges.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
    cparmerlee
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1153
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/07 20:14:23 (permalink)
    anydmusic
    I think that it's because BIAB is easier to use so no learning curve and most users want the new styles so buy content rather than features.

And there is practically no competition for what BIAB does.  If you need that, the only real competition is last year's release.  Many people upgrade every 2 years or every 3 years.  I have historically upgraded every year, but their focus has meandered into the "real tracks" and I use BIAB mainly for the MIDI it can generate.  I am planning to skip this upgrade because there is practically nothing in it for MIDI users.

The user interface continues to be horrendous, especially for multiple monitors.  It comes across as a 1990-style program.  So I am not sure this is a business model to emulate.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
    OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
    Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
    denverdrummer
    • Total Posts : 278
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/08 01:58:25 (permalink)
    The subscription plan was the end of the road for Sonar, but they had been dying long before that.

But in answer to your question, Cakewalks loyal customer base was used to $100-150 upgrades. When you double the price, they turned off their own customer base and they weren't attracting any new customers either.

I saw the writing on the wall when Gibson bought them, and the moment they announced lifetime updates, I knew it was only a matter of time.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
    cparmerlee
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1153
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/08 02:57:38 (permalink)
    denverdrummer
    The subscription plan was the end of the road for Sonar, but they had been dying long before that. ...
    I saw the writing on the wall when Gibson bought them,

I never saw the compelling reason for the subscription model, and it also seemed strange that the company was so vigorous in denying it actually was a subscription model.  If all the DAWs were going to subscription-only, maybe one could say Cakewalk was forced into it.  But going it alone this way doesn't look like such a great move.

Personally I have an intense dislike of anything that commits me to regular payments .  I cannot avoid this with my electric bill, and I choose to have cable.  But I haven't had a car loan for 35 years and given a choice between a product that has a one-time change and one on a subscription, I will almost always avoid the subscription.  It just seems like a sleazy way of marketing -- selling a pig in a poke.

We already had razor blades selling on subscription. Now I see Fruit of the Loom is offering underwear subscriptions.  If it is OK with them, I think I'll decide for myself when it is time to trade in my old underwear.

It really does beg the question what all of that subscription noise really accomplished for Gibson.

DAW: SONAR Platinum Audio I/F: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 gen2
    OS: Windows 10 64-bit CPU: Haswell 4790 4.0 GHz, 4 core, 8 thread  Memory: 16 GB      Video: GTX-760Ti
    Storage: Sandisk SSD 500GB for active projects. ReadyNAS 20 TB for long-term storage

sonocrafters.com
    Snehankur
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 507
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/08 03:57:51 (permalink)
    cparmerlee
    anydmusic

And there is practically no competition for what BIAB does.  If you need that, the only real competition is last year's release.  Many people upgrade every 2 years or every 3 years.  I have historically upgraded every year, but their focus has meandered into the "real tracks" and I use BIAB mainly for the MIDI it can generate.  I am planning to skip this upgrade because there is practically nothing in it for MIDI users.

The user interface continues to be horrendous, especially for multiple monitors.  It comes across as a 1990-style program.  So I am not sure this is a business model to emulate.

There was a software called Jammer 6.
    More intuitive. But the store is closed long back.
    Regards
    Snehankur
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/08 07:50:58 (permalink)
    Snehankur
    cparmerlee
    anydmusic

There was a software called Jammer 6.
    More intuitive. But the store is closed long back.
    Regards
    Snehankur

Jammer by Soundtrek is still available. Store has never shut. Program is not being developed any further.

http://www.soundtrek.com/index.maint3.html

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Syphus
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 39
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/08 08:12:00 (permalink)
    mudgel,

Jammer 6 is dead.  I have sent them emails (at one point) with no reply  . . .

I liked the program.   I actually use this program from time to time.  The link you supplied gives a "500 Server Error" - Unfortunately

Syphus
    Snehankur
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 507
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/08 08:23:26 (permalink)
    Yes I tried for last 2 years to buy it.
    No luck.

anydmusic
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/08 10:19:01 (permalink)
    Jammer and BIAB are very different to use. BIAB really scores well because it is so easy to get something that is ok really quickly especially for a song that has a simple verse chorus structure.

Where Jammer scores high, if you have the patience, is its ability to fine tune the parts it creates. When it works well this is much better than BIAB's cut and paste approach. Sometimes though it takes time to get it to work well.

Graham
    Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
    Cubase 9.5
    Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
    Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
    IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
    Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
    Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
    BobF
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8124
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/08 13:06:27 (permalink)
    I struggled off/on with BiaB (mostly off) until I find got a handle on combining styles.  The first version I had was V9, way back when.  It is a bit disappointing to see the same clunky interface after all these years, BUT, this might be a clue to their survival.  From what I've seen, they have a single developer.  When new versions are released they are quite generous with counting up "new features".  Point is that they aren't making anywhere near the investment in ongoing dev work that the modern DAWs-writers are.

My only experience with Jammer was the version included with PA8 or 9.  Might've been a trial.  Whatever it was it constantly crashed.  In fact, my Jammer experience led me to BiaB.

As far as it being a toy goes, I guess that depends on how you use it.  It is fun to play with once in a while, but IMO, it is a very serious tool for songwriting.  Even if you never export or render anything out of it, BiaB makes it pretty easy to explore ideas that can be further developed by traditional means.

Bob  --
    Angels are crying because truth has died ...
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    --
    Studio One Pro / i7-6700@3.80GHZ, 32GB Win 10 Pro x64
    Roland FA06, LX61+, Fishman Tripleplay, FaderPort, US-16x08 + ARC2.5/Event PS8s 
    Waves Gold/IKM Max/Nomad Factory IS3/K11U

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/08 13:34:31 (permalink)
    biab does not have the same kind of competition as sonar

also, i think dumbing down sonar was a back-assward attempt to attract uneducated lazy users

just a sec

pwalpwal
    Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3249
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/08 13:35:10 (permalink)
    did biab lose the comic sans ui font yet?

just a sec

denverdrummer
    • Total Posts : 278
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/08 17:20:16 (permalink)
    pwalpwal
    biab does not have the same kind of competition as sonar

also, i think dumbing down sonar was a back-assward attempt to attract uneducated lazy users

Just curious, but how do you think CW "dumbed down" Sonar?

Win 10 Pro 64 bit, Dell Inspiron 15, core i7, 16GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mackie MR5 Mark 1 speakers
    rj davis
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 141
    Re: Band-in-a-Box business model - Why didn't it work for the Bakers? 2017/12/08 17:32:23 (permalink)
    Think the PGMusic model succeeds because they deliver significant additional sounds and functionality with their upgrades.  I upgrade because I want those new things.  Cakewalk did that as well, but I seldom felt like I HAD to have the things in the next version.  Just me.

Ron
    Windows 10
    Sonar Platinum
    i7-5700K 4.0 GHz StudioCat ProStudio (monster)
    RME Babyface Pro
    Mackie MCU Pro
    Neumann TLM49
    Too many guitars...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1