Bandlab - To migrate or not to migrate?

Author
amiller
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 876
2018/05/22 12:37:11 (permalink)

Bandlab - To migrate or not to migrate?

Noel's post about an update to Bandlab Cakewalk prompted this question.

Noel:
"This update paves the way for an upcoming point release for the last Cakewalk release so please download and install it as soon as possible to make things smoother."

I'm a long time Cake user and currently running the latest version of Sonar Plat.  I'm currently working on my own stuff and I'm near the end of recording the last finishing touches.  I've also started the "serious" mixing phase of the project.

With that in mind, I don't feel comfortable switching to Bandlab's version of Sonar.  This has been a long project and I don't see the need to switch at this point.

So, what are the complications/issues in waiting to switching to Bandlab in 6 months or even in a year from now if any?

RAWK!!!

. SONAR Platinum: 2017.10
System specs:
Purrrfect Audio:
http://www.studiocat.com/open_cart/ 
• Case Silent Mid Tower
• Power-Supply 600w quiet
• Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz
• RAM 32GB DDR3/1600
• OS drive 1TB HD
• Audio drive 2TB HD
• Samples drive 1 3TB HD
• Burner 24x DVD/RW
• Video HD4600
• Add TI chipset Firewire For all others
• Operating System Windows 10 x64 Home Edition
. MOTU 828 mkII
. Lucid 9624 A/D
. Millennia HV-3b pre
. Dual 24" Widescreen Monitors

4 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Bandlab - To migrate or not to migrate? 2018/05/22 12:47:27 (permalink)
    amiller

So, what are the complications/issues in waiting to switching to Bandlab in 6 months or even in a year from now if any?

None other than the inability to use the new version. If you plan on eventually upgrading the CbB, you can do yourself and BandLab a favor by creating your BandLab account now using the same e-mail as your old Cakewalk account so your account history makes the transition.

Keep in mind CbB installs as an upgrade NOT an update so both SONAR and CbB will be available once CbB is installed. Just like prior SONAR upgrades, the shared plug-ins and utilities are updated though.
    amiller
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 876
    Re: Bandlab - To migrate or not to migrate? 2018/05/22 12:54:43 (permalink)
    In there will be no complications why does Noel recommend installing the latest update "as soon as possible to make things smoother?" 

RAWK!!!

. SONAR Platinum: 2017.10
    System specs:
    Purrrfect Audio:
    http://www.studiocat.com/open_cart/ 
    • Case Silent Mid Tower
    • Power-Supply 600w quiet
    • Haswell CPU 4790k @ 4.4GHz
    • RAM 32GB DDR3/1600
    • OS drive 1TB HD
    • Audio drive 2TB HD
    • Samples drive 1 3TB HD
    • Burner 24x DVD/RW
    • Video HD4600
    • Add TI chipset Firewire For all others
    • Operating System Windows 10 x64 Home Edition
    . MOTU 828 mkII
    . Lucid 9624 A/D
    . Millennia HV-3b pre
    . Dual 24" Widescreen Monitors
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Bandlab - To migrate or not to migrate? 2018/05/22 13:03:10 (permalink)
    The most recent updates address issues regarding activation of CbB and a better BandLab Assistant (the replacement for Cakewalk Command Center) experience. It is all in his OP here. AFAIK, Cakewalk (and now BandLab) always recommended staying current.

To be clear, while CbB installs as an upgrade, at this time it is effectively the Platinum version of SONAR 2017-11 without all the plug-ins.
    msmcleod
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 920
    Re: Bandlab - To migrate or not to migrate? 2018/05/22 13:43:07 (permalink)
    Apart from the odd glitch with installing (which was most likely down to the Cakewalk server being overstressed with everyone downloading), CbB installed without issue for me [edit - once it had downloaded].

As scook says, the "smoothness" is more to do with issues people have had with CbB reverting to demo mode.

Just to be clear, CbB installs alongside your Sonar Platinum install and will inherit your current Sonar settings.

Since installing CbB, Sonar Platinum still works exactly as it did before, and I can swap between the two without issue... although this is not something I've found the need to do, as CbB loads all my previous Sonar Platinum projects perfectly.

I seriously doubt you'll have issues with switching to CbB - and like I said, Sonar Platinum will still be there alongside it if you do have issues.

M.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1