Author
lumpypro
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 23
2004/03/21 19:30:10 (permalink)

Bank Change problems on Alesis-QSR

In track view I cannot get Sonar3 to change banks to my QSR, it will change
patches just fine, but not banks. Worked fine in Sonar 1 and CWP9

I've confirmed it's not the QSR by creating single MIDI events in a track and sending them to the QSR via Controller 0 and that works. I've also set Sonar to record and manually changed banks on the QSR, and it's recording the bank change in Sonar as a "Controller 0" event, like the manual says it should.

I've confirmed in the OPTIONS -> INSTRUMENTS -> DEFINITIONS that my QSR Bank Select Method is set to Controller 0, which is what the manual says to set it to. I've also tried the other Controller Methods and still doesn't work.

I'm all out of ideas, help.
Thanks in advance,
LH

8 Replies Related Threads

harmony gardens
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3490
    RE: Bank Change problems on Alesis-QSR 2004/03/21 20:58:13 (permalink)
    Did the bank change channel get changed somehow in your QSR??
    lumpypro
    RE: Bank Change problems on Alesis-QSR 2004/03/23 13:29:07 (permalink)
    nope, I can still send a bank change request via Sonar to the QSR by
    hand inserting a MIDI controller event, so the QSR seems to be ok.
    Twin Paradox
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: Bank Change problems on Alesis-QSR 2004/03/23 21:31:33 (permalink)
    lumpypro -

Check the Global Edit paramers on your QSR (edit + up buttons) for General Midi. Twirl the knob to page 3 of Global Edit and make sure that General Midi is Off. The QSR will not respond to bank change messages when General Midi is On.

Twin Paradox
    lumpypro
    RE: Bank Change problems on Alesis-QSR 2004/03/24 15:29:28 (permalink)
    Twin Paradox

Thanks, I yanked out the QSR manuals again last night, and reconfirmed General MIDI is turned off. The QSR will respond correctly if I insert a
    controller event by hand and send it via Sonar. It's only in the Track View
    when I try to change banks that it doesn't work.

Lumpy
    juca
    Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Bank Change problems on Alesis-QSR 2004/03/24 16:28:07 (permalink)
    Hi Lee:
    Take a look in the content of Instrument Definition you are using for the QSR. You can make this under Instruments/Import menu. Open the list of Bank or Control Change (sorry, I´m not in my DAW now and also haven´t the QSR) and see if really the Instrument Definition is using the correct values.
    Only a try, but ...

****** Juca Nascimento ******
    Keyboards/Composer/Arranger

Twin Paradox
    RE: Bank Change problems on Alesis-QSR 2004/03/24 18:06:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: lumpypro

Twin Paradox

Thanks, I yanked out the QSR manuals again last night, and reconfirmed General MIDI is turned off. The QSR will respond correctly if I insert a
    controller event by hand and send it via Sonar. It's only in the Track View
    when I try to change banks that it doesn't work.

Lumpy

OK, the General Midi idea was what first came to mind. One other thing to note in this regard. It doesn't sound like this is the case, but are you using a midi file that you got from somewhere else (as opposed to creating your own)? Sometimes these have a generic sysex command at the beginning of the file that turns General Midi on when the file starts. I'm sure you would have noticed that, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

I think I understand, but it's possible that I don't, just what you mean by "It's only in the Track View when I try to change banks" or what you mean by "insert a controller event by hand and send it via Sonar." Could you elaborate on those?

Meantime, I connected my QSR to the DAW (I use mine mostly as a stand alone these days) and confirmed that I can send bank and program changes successfully in Sonar 3.1.1. I downloaded the Instrument Definiton from the Cakewalk site (use the one for QS7, same thing as QSR) and imported it. When I select that in the track view and then select any of the five different banks, it makes the change prperly on my QSR. Same for program changes.

I also confirmed that I could make bank (and program) changes successfully by entering Controller 0 and patch change commands in the Event List, hitting play and watching them change as those events pass.

So, maybe try downloading and installing that Instrument file (which I think I'm gong to edit so that there's a version that says QSR) and see what happens.

Good luck. I'll check back later.

Twin Paradox
    lumpypro
    RE: Bank Change problems on Alesis-QSR - Solved 2004/03/29 12:58:38 (permalink)
    Many thanks to Twin Paradox, Juca and Harmony Gardens for all your help.
    I finally found the problem and we're all playing nice together again.

The problem was in Global Edit Page 13, Mix Group Channel, had accidentally
    gotten set to 1 instead of OFF. (I believe it happened while playing with digital
    I/O a few months back - one Page over). The weird part, was I talked to the
    guys at Alesis, and they say it shouldn't have even been accepting Patch
    changes, which it was.

Lumpypro
    Twin Paradox
    RE: Bank Change problems on Alesis-QSR - Solved 2004/03/29 13:15:59 (permalink)
    Lumpypro --

I'm sorry you had the problem, but I sure am glad you posted about it here. It got me to reconnect my QSR and in the process rediscover some things I had done with it but never quite completed. That's really a decent little gizmo.

I did, by the way, edit the QS7 instrument definition file that I downloaded from this Cakewalk site so that it refers to the QSR specifically instead of the QS7, and I renamed it as such. I want to double check it to make sure all the patches are correct, and will then send it to Cakewalk for posting. If you'd like it directly, write me at FJL3rd@aol.com and I'll send it.

I also rediscovered some Sysex code I created for the QSR a couple of years ago that I used to put at the beginning of sequences to do such things as place it into mix mode and make sure that various global settings etc. were as I wanted them -- that way I wouldn't have to think about it each time I re-opened a project. If you'd like to know about them too let me know and I'll tell you more specifically what they do -- you're also welcome to a copy of those if you'd like them.

Twin Paradox
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1