Bass Guitar

Author
SurfingMusicMan
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 439
2005/10/01 13:41:32 (permalink)

Bass Guitar

First of all, I'm really not a bass player. That needs to be confirmed straight up. However, seeing as buying a decent bass and doing a million takes is way cheaper than hiring a real bass player, I'm needing help picking out a bass.

I've been using a Mexican Fender Jazz that I equipped with Bartolini pickups through a sansamp DI. The Bartolinis definetly helped A LOT. However, I still don't have a really quality bass sound.

My initial research here seems to be saying that the main quality basses out there are basically just Fenders, Rickenbachers, and Musicmans. Comments?

I'm looking for a standard, rock-n-roll, quality tone with some versatility in the $600-$700 price range. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

14 Replies Related Threads

calaverasgrandes
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1454
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/01 15:05:25 (permalink)
    There are a lot more than fenders ricks and musicmans, (musicmen?). I personally play a Tobias and an old solidbody Ovation Magnum. The best basses, for some reason cost WAY more than comparable guitars. Musicman basses start at around $1200. With no case. And go way up. A mexican Jazz with barts is pretty good. For better you will have to spend north of a grand.
    Now to the meat of the issue. Most of bass tone is in the fingers. When I was younger I used to go nuts trying to EQ my amp to sound like this or that. Now I just run it flat and use a pick for more treble, fingers for more bass. As far as getting "that sound", besides getting a real bass player and micing a real amp, you might want to investigate compression and limiting. A lot of the hoopla about the dbx 160 and the 1176 are about how they make a bass just sit there in one spot. You are probably hearing a bass signal whose volume fluctuates in regard to frequency. so certain notes are louder than others. Try slapping a limiter on it before it even hits AD conversion mess around with it until you get lots of sustain and then back off from there. You could use a compression pedal also but those are noisy.
    It also depends on what your aim is. For demos some half ass bass playing will cut it, but if you are planning on making this a serious release, better get a bassist. Would you use a sloppy drummer?
    post edited by calaverasgrandes - 2005/10/01 15:14:35

Sonar 7.0.3, Mattel Synsonics, Motu 828MKII (BLA), TC-powercore, Stillwell plugins, Moog MG1, Korg Poly 800, DX27s, Moogerfooger Lowpass, Ovation Magnum, Stingray fretless, Mesa Bass 400, Waldorf Edition, DBA fuzz war, Summit 2BA221, etc
    PieterVW
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/02 05:43:24 (permalink)
    There are some things you have to decide on:

passive or active pickups
    passive or active electronics
    number of strings

I really like passive pickups for any guitar/bass. The first bass I bought was a used BC Rich Bich from '85. Great instrument, cheap price. But in your price range I would look into ESP/LTD basses. If you can buy anything in the '400'-series, you'll have a fine instrument. They have neckthru basses, all have EMG pickups, and a really nice electronics package which gives you extreme versatility. Unbeatable in that price range, if you're looking for a rockinstrument.
    LixiSoft
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/02 06:57:44 (permalink)
    I've been using a Mexican Fender Jazz that I equipped with Bartolini pickups through a sansamp DI. The Bartolinis definetly helped A LOT. However, I still don't have a really quality bass sound.

I don't think it's the bass or the DI. Try a compressor and work on your style. Do you use a pick ? Use your fingers ? Where do you pick the strings, by the bridge, at the neck ? Flat or wound round strings ? Your bass and DI should give you a "classic" bass tone and sound.

As a bass player myself for over 35 years, I have become partial to Fenders and MusicMan basses. I have owned more basses than I can remember, the two basses I still have after all these years is my 1962 Fender "P" bass and a mid 70's Musicman Stingray. Your Mex "J" bass with "Barts" should sing.

My 2 cents....goodluck
    post edited by LixiSoft - 2005/10/02 07:21:48

LixiSoft
    jerrye
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 613
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/02 11:47:56 (permalink)
    I think Ibanez basses in the $400 to $600 range have extremely good bang for the buck. When I bought mine, the other two finalists were an American Fender PJ bass and a Warwick, both of which sold for around $1,000 street. I'm also primarily a guitarist and not a great bassist.

Have fun,
    Jerry
    Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/02 13:09:58 (permalink)
    Your Mex "J" bass with "Barts" should sing
    I agree. My kid's Mexican Precision is hanging on the wall in my studio and most times his bass will sit in the mix quicker than any. The Eq of other instruments in the center of the mix will affect how the bass sounds. Don't be too concerned with how it sounds soloed.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    codashome
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/03 07:41:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: barthowk

I'm looking for a standard, rock-n-roll, quality tone with some versatility in the $600-$700 price range. Any suggestions?

Standard R&R quality? Lets see, standard, as in Beatles, Beach Boys, Motown, Stax, Yes, slapping, fingers, picks... I could go on. There are a lot of "standard" bass sounds. And many of them can be created by a Fender bass with the correct age of strings and a good DI like the SansAmp. Your Fender should work just fine. What kind of R&R are you trying to emulate? My Fender (a '72 P) has Bartolini's and I use the SansAmp. My strings are just about right, only two years old. For my band, I need to pluck with my fingers, and also use a thumbpick. Where you pick is just as important for tone as how you set your controls. Bridge = brighter, neck = mellower with more rich tone. I find that I get more control of the signal if I back off the volume and tone pots to about 3/4 full. My DI is set up this way: treble @ 11:00, bass @ 1:00, distortion varies between 9:00 and 12:00, presence is about 9:00. Of course, the settings will all be different for you and your instrument.

Hope this helps.

Oh, by the way, one of the best bassists in the world, Abe Laboriel, Sr., started out his studio career using a piece of crap Mexian bass that had he kept because it had a good neck. He just swapped out the pickups to make it sound better.
    post edited by codashome - 2005/10/03 07:51:09
    BlindDog
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/03 11:15:51 (permalink)
    My biggest problem with recording bass was recording DI. I've found that you really need to push real air through a cab to get a great bass sound, regardless of the instrument being used.

-Kevin
    Accidents "happen". Success, however, is planned and executed.
    calaverasgrandes
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/03 16:57:32 (permalink)
    "the piece of crap played by a god" is verifiable. David Sims, the bass player of Scratch Acid, Rapeman, Jesus Lizard, has about the best rock tone ever. He plays a MEMPHIS! A local band up here in Norcal fomr the 80-90s Victims Family had this great bassist. He played a Hondo knockoff of the Dano Longhorn, with bartolinis.
    Another often overlooked aspect of bass tone is strings. Some folks change them every week. Some keep the same set for years> James Jamerson of Motown fame used the same set for like 10 years. When he changed them, he lost his tone. I personally can not say enough about DR strings. Used to rock D'addarios but they changed them in the late 80's.

Sonar 7.0.3, Mattel Synsonics, Motu 828MKII (BLA), TC-powercore, Stillwell plugins, Moog MG1, Korg Poly 800, DX27s, Moogerfooger Lowpass, Ovation Magnum, Stingray fretless, Mesa Bass 400, Waldorf Edition, DBA fuzz war, Summit 2BA221, etc
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/03 17:13:13 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: calaverasgrandes

"the piece of crap played by a god" is verifiable. David Sims, the bass player of Scratch Acid, Rapeman, Jesus Lizard, has about the best rock tone ever. He plays a MEMPHIS! A local band up here in Norcal fomr the 80-90s Victims Family had this great bassist. He played a Hondo knockoff of the Dano Longhorn, with bartolinis.
    Another often overlooked aspect of bass tone is strings. Some folks change them every week. Some keep the same set for years> James Jamerson of Motown fame used the same set for like 10 years. When he changed them, he lost his tone. I personally can not say enough about DR strings. Used to rock D'addarios but they changed them in the late 80's.

What model DR strings do you use ?
    calaverasgrandes
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/03 17:58:16 (permalink)
    lo riders on one bass, sun beams(?) I think, on the tobias.

ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/03 18:00:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: calaverasgrandes

lo riders on one bass, sun beams(?) I think, on the tobias.

I was looking for more brightness and twang are hibeams the way to go ?
    lucky dog
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/03 18:06:32 (permalink)

My initial research here seems to be saying that the main quality basses out there are basically just Fenders, Rickenbachers, and Musicmans. Comments?

I agree with everyone who said that you should be able to get a good sound from your Fender bass. However, I have a buddy who's a great bass player and he loves his Carvin bass guitar.
    I also like using my Pod bass amp modeler to record bass tracks.
    Try looking here:

www.carvin.com

and here:
    www.line6.com

Hope this helps.

Rick

ed_mcg
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2741
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/03 18:09:11 (permalink)
    I was looking for more brightness and twang are hibeams the way to go ?
    For zing, I like MTD (link to where I get 'em)., they keep that bright tone longer than others.

Alternatively, I like Fodera nickel on the fretless, nice smooth sound, also keep their tone.

I agree D'Addario's don't do it.
    skbass88
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Bass Guitar 2005/10/06 22:51:32 (permalink)

20 year bassist here (since I was 10). Just like picking the "right" mics, mic pre's, etc., finding a "quality" bass is purely subjective. I've owned cheapy basses, intermediate basses, Musicman, Rickenbacker, and Spector USA basses. I have been an EMG fan ever since it turned my first bass (a $200 Aria Pro II) into an instrument that sounded 500% better than it did off the store wall.

A set of active EMG's will definitely improve the sound of a stock $400 - $500 bass. This may be a little too specific... but if you can find an 80's or early 90's Korean made neck-thru Spector copy IMPORTED BY KRAMER (not the ones from the mid-late 90's made by Samick), and throw EMG's in it, you'll love it for Rock. Check Ebay. I had one of these for years, all through college, and I loved it. I only got rid of it because I found a great deal on an American Spector (w/ EMG's).

Also, just to back up my view on this subject... I custom ordered a beautiful Musicman Stingray 5 string a couple of years ago. I was never able to get the sound I wanted from it for hard rock. And I was bummed to find out that EMG doesn't make a direct replacement pickup for Stingrays. So as soon as I found a deal on a 5 string USA Spector (w/EMG's), I jumped on it. Now I'm as happy as a pig in slop!

Also, I've recorded direct from my basses w/ EMG's straight into mixing boards, with some success. Personally, I like mixing a miked cabinet with the direct sound. But if you're not trying to go double platinum with what you're recording right now, going direct (with a DI box is probably best) just might suit you fine.

Rock on and Good Luck!

"I want it Louder! More Power!
    I'm gonna Rock ya till it strikes the hour!"

Sonar 4P
    Delta 44
    Reason 2.5
    XP Pro
    P4 2.4Ghz
    1.5G RAM
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1