Bass Needs Love - FIXED!!

Author
spindlebox
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2645
2008/09/09 22:52:20 (permalink)

Bass Needs Love - FIXED!!

Man, I'm bummed.

So I was using my bass tonight, laying a new track down, and I noticed was kinda distorted. I have a DEAN EDGE Q4 with active pickups, and I've noticed in the past that if the battery is getting old it does this. I replace it, sounds good again.

Anyway, I did this tonight, and the little 9V battery connector (where it attaches to the battery) snapped off @ the wires! I'm like, oh crap! So I run downstairs and strip the wires and re-solder. I think everything's kosher. I go back upstairs and plug the battery in, plug it in, and NADA. I can't hear anything. I plugged my e-guitar into the same cord and I heard everything fine.

What gives? Is there a problem with the pickups? Do I need to re-solder the wires? Is there a loose connection elsewhere? Wy can't I hear anything, you'd think you would hear SOMETHING even without the battery.

It's late now, and I'm going to bed, I just thought I'd post this to see if anyone has had this problem and what they did. I'm a dummy as far as wiring is concerned, and really have NO experience with the innards of basses.

Hopefully someone will have some ideas.

Thanks in advance.
post edited by spindlebox - 2008/09/10 09:35:31

8 Replies Related Threads

yep
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4057
    RE: Bass Needs Love 2008/09/09 23:32:51 (permalink)
    A lot of the obvious questions are insulting at this point, but since you didn't clarify:

Did you securely insulate the stripped/soldered joints, e.g. with shrink wrap? On a scale of 1-10, how certain that exposed wire is not touching any other metal or wire or shielding?

On a scale of 1-10, how sure are you of your solder connections?

On a scale of 1-10, how sure are you that something else did not pull loose? The windings that attach to the battery wires are a lot more fragile than the battery wires, remember....

How sure are you that the battery is good? stranger things have happened...

Are these actual genuine active pickups, or are they passive pickups with an on-board preamp (active electronics)? The troubleshooting is different.

On a scale of 1-10, how good of a solderer are you? Any possibility that you blew out the pickups with "hulk smash" soldering technique? Do you make quick, slick, invisible solders with perfectly smooth and shiny surfaces, or do you leave gobs of clumpy gray lava behind with bits of char and scorch marks?

Cheers.
    spindlebox
    RE: Bass Needs Love 2008/09/10 02:46:22 (permalink)
    Yep, thanks for this time. I don't view your questions as insulting and I appreciate them. I did finish my post with a disclaimer that I'm a dummy about this stuff, so here goes:

ORIGINAL: yep

A lot of the obvious questions are insulting at this point, but since you didn't clarify:

Did you securely insulate the stripped/soldered joints, e.g. with shrink wrap? On a scale of 1-10, how certain that exposed wire is not touching any other metal or wire or shielding?

Well, after I soldered, I used liquid electrical tape to cover up my work.

On a scale of 1-10, how sure are you of your solder connections?

I actually took the battery connector off of another pedal I had, and twisted the black/black & red/red, these are the junctions I soldered. I just soldered to ensure they wouldn't twist apart, and then I covered with the liquid electrical tape.

On a scale of 1-10, how sure are you that something else did not pull loose? The windings that attach to the battery wires are a lot more fragile than the battery wires, remember....

Pretty sure, I again, used a working battery connector, and just twisted the wires. I did this because the original one from the bass was really poorly constructed with a very thin plastic backing that I had to use a knife to uncover from the original solder points. Underneath, there was thin cardboard bridging the two button-style connectors. That's why I tried to use a more sturdy connector and twist the wires. Therein could lie my problem.

How sure are you that the battery is good? stranger things have happened...

The battery ain't great, but it stung my tongue pretty good when I touched it, and powered up the tuner I took it from. I def. need to get a brand new one in any case. I figured at the very least I'd get a distorted signal again, not NO sound!!

Are these actual genuine active pickups, or are they passive pickups with an on-board preamp (active electronics)? The troubleshooting is different.

Hmm, I always assumed they were active. I just did a search and they are EMG-HZ Pickups w/ Pre-amp.

On a scale of 1-10, how good of a solderer are you? Any possibility that you blew out the pickups with "hulk smash" soldering technique? Do you make quick, slick, invisible solders with perfectly smooth and shiny surfaces, or do you leave gobs of clumpy gray lava behind with bits of char and scorch marks?

Not sure what hulk smash technique is, and I hope I didn't do it. Unfortunately, I do leave gobs of clumpy gray lava (thought not as much as in the past), but no char and scorch marks. I actually was able to keep the solder to just around the wires with a minimum of drips this time.

Well, based upon your questions and my responses. I'm pretty sure I fouled up the whole thing. I sure could use your help, YEP!

Again, my disclaimer is that I am not an electronics guy and that's why I'm here. Please have mercy on me. I appreciate any and all help you can give.

Thanks!

Cheers.

post edited by spindlebox - 2008/09/10 07:30:10

spindlebox
    RE: Bass Needs Love 2008/09/10 07:30:30 (permalink)
    BUMP

dstrenz
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1067
    RE: Bass Needs Love 2008/09/10 07:39:35 (permalink)
    Bummer. Just take it to a music store and if have them fix it or at least recommend someone.

Some of My Stuff
    spindlebox
    RE: Bass Needs Love 2008/09/10 07:43:06 (permalink)
    Yeah, I'm actually about 40 miles away from the closest one, so was hoping to avoid that one. If that's the solution then that's what I'll do.

dstrenz
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1067
    RE: Bass Needs Love 2008/09/10 08:00:28 (permalink)
    Wow, how about an electronics store (maybe Radio Shack)? Maybe someone there could help. At least they should have the test equipment to find out where the problem lies.

Some of My Stuff
    spindlebox
    RE: Bass Needs Love 2008/09/10 08:53:42 (permalink)
    dstrenz, I must have read your mind! I'm starting with the battery connector. Went to Radio Shack and I was able to pick up a package of 5 for $1.99, and then I went and got those little crimp connectors at the hardware store; this way I can leave soldering out of the picture. I'm hoping by just splicing those wires onto the new battery connector I'll be golden. Oh, and I got a brand new battery. I'll report back.

spindlebox
    RE: Bass Needs Love 2008/09/10 09:37:37 (permalink)
    Yep & Dstrenz,

That fixed it! I gave up on soldering altogether and used those crimp wires. She sings like the fat lady now!! Fortunately, I didn't cause damage to the preamp as I feared after Yep's post.

Thank god for Radio Shack. I may live in the sticks, but as long as that store remains open, I'm a happy man. Thank goodness for small favors.

Back to the studio!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1