Bass Players, MJC Ironworks Bass Strings - Incredible

Author
Jesse G
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4282
2017/06/18 23:04:53 (permalink)

Bass Players, MJC Ironworks Bass Strings - Incredible

It was time to change my bass strings and I was deciding on which bass string to select after playing with my Dunlop medium nickel-plated steel round wound bass strings for a while.

I have a friend who plays bass professionally and he suggested that I give MJC Iron Works bass strings a try as he has switched to them after using solely DR bass strings for years.

After putting on these strings, MJC Ironworks Nickel Plated Steel 4-String Bass Set, 45-105, I really enjoyed the stirrings as they provided crisp, clear high end sound but didn't sacrifice the deep lows when I played them.   I was surprised how great they sounded.

If you are considering changing your bass strings in the near future, give MJC Ironworks bass string a try.

Has anyone else given these bass strings a try?

Visit the site  MCJ Ironworks
Visit the Facebook site  
MCJ Ironworks On You Tube

Peace,
Jesse G. A fisher of men  <><
==============================
Cakewalk and I are going places together!

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/

9 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Bass Players, MJC Ironworks Bass Strings - Incredible 2017/06/19 02:13:08 (permalink)
    I only change mine every 10  years so I'll keep them in mind in 2019... I use boring old GHS. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jesse G
    Re: Bass Players, MJC Ironworks Bass Strings - Incredible 2017/06/19 03:44:18 (permalink)

Peace,

Cakewalk By Bandlab, Windows 10 Pro- 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI, Intel Core i5-4460 Haswell Processor, Crucial Ballistix 32 GB Ram, PNY GeForce GTX 750, Roland Octa-Capture, Mackie Big Knob, Mackie Universal Controller (MCU), KRK V4's, KRK Rockit 6, Korg TR-61 Workstation, M-Audio Code 49 MIDI keyboard controller.[/
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Bass Players, MJC Ironworks Bass Strings - Incredible 2017/06/19 12:35:35 (permalink)
    I usually use GHS "Brite Flats" (used to be called Ground Wounds).  I wanted a more acoustic sound for recording so I installed a set of D'Addario Tape Wounds on an old Ibanez Blazer (P bass copy and maybe even one of the lawsuit models).  The sound is more like a guitar than bass.  I'll be taking them off and putting the GHS back on.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Cactus Music
    Re: Bass Players, MJC Ironworks Bass Strings - Incredible 2017/06/19 18:38:54 (permalink)
    I was just joking by the way,,, but I do tend to have very long use out of the GHS which I get the regular wound 45-105 set. It all depends on how much I play live.  And having 3 basses plus mooching basses at practices and Jam's  helps spread the use out over time. I was thinking of some Flat wounds on my old Hondo P bass next time around as it would give me a different tone on recordings. I do a lot of folk/ country acoustic stuff and best not to have the bass to bright on those recordings.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Jesse G
    Re: Bass Players, MJC Ironworks Bass Strings - Incredible 2017/06/19 21:07:04 (permalink)
    Cactus Music, 

I didn't take you seriously about the bass strings.  

Peace,

TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: Bass Players, MJC Ironworks Bass Strings - Incredible 2017/06/20 00:55:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads-up, Jesse!

One thing I was happy to see was the 6-string bass sets.

I am thinking of getting a 34" scale 5-string bass and loading it with the high 5 strings from the 6-string set (30-45-65-85-105) and tuning it EADGC or EADGB.

Anyone:

Any recommendations for the bass?

Any 5-string basses come standard this way?

Thanks, and sorry for the hijack.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    Cactus Music
    Re: Bass Players, MJC Ironworks Bass Strings - Incredible 2017/06/20 04:40:37 (permalink)
    Well my reaction is why would you need this, I have never seen the reason why 6 string basses exist other than to impress people with how big they are :)  to me you can  just as easily play up the neck if your wanting guitar solos. To me Bass is all about the low end and as a matter of course I don't leave that range much myself, I have a regular 5 string and for certain songs it's a must have. Like songs in Bb and D really work well. But if your goal is not playing bass as a supporting instrument, but playing bass as a solo instrument I can sort of see the need for the high strings.
    I think you"ll find the truss rod would need a major adjustment as that might be a large change in the tension on the neck. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

TheMaartian
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2774
    Re: Bass Players, MJC Ironworks Bass Strings - Incredible 2017/06/20 14:46:31 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    Well my reaction is why would you need this, I have never seen the reason why 6 string basses exist other than to impress people with how big they are :)  to me you can  just as easily play up the neck if your wanting guitar solos. To me Bass is all about the low end and as a matter of course I don't leave that range much myself, I have a regular 5 string and for certain songs it's a must have. Like songs in Bb and D really work well. But if your goal is not playing bass as a supporting instrument, but playing bass as a solo instrument I can sort of see the need for the high strings.
    I think you"ll find the truss rod would need a major adjustment as that might be a large change in the tension on the neck. 

Exactly. I'd like to use an acoustic double bass for the rhythm bass and the 5-string bass I described as the lead bass, with rhythm guitar, keys and drums. That's been my dream for a long time. Maybe it will only ever be that, but I figure if Wishbone Ash could make twin guitars work so well, I might be able to do something similar.

BTW, I can't sing for doodlely squat. I'm more like a hungover combination of the worst of Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen. Works better over a bass in my, um, 'range' than a lead guitar.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
    Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
    PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
    NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
    BassRocket
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 132
    Re: Bass Players, MJC Ironworks Bass Strings - Incredible 2017/06/20 16:04:28 (permalink)
    It's funny that the original post was about a particular brand of strings, but turned into quite a few mentions about GHS strings.
    I too, use GHS on both my guitars and basses. Though, right now I have D'addario's on my Warwick Fortress 5 string bass and Ernie Ball Cobalts on my Stingray 4.
    I was told by my Luthier that GHS have one of the highest levels of quality control among string manufacturers. So, while they may not be the BEST strings, no matter where you are in the country, or the world, you can count on getting the same sound. As many strings are defective right out of the pack. Kind of like McDonald's. Taste preference aside, you know it will bet the same wherever you go.

"War is not the answer, for only love can conquer hate"
    -Marvin Gaye
    New System:
    MSI SLI Plus X299 mortherboard
    Intel Core i7 7820X CPU
    16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4 3200 RAM
    MSI Radeon RX580 4GB Graphics
    Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD (Win 10 Pro)
    Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD (storage)
    WD Velociraptor 1TB HDD (storage)
    Focusrite 18i8 Scarlett audio interface
    Akai MPK261 midi controller