Bass Sim VST/Plug-in?

Author
dwardzala
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1470
2008/09/23 09:54:57 (permalink)

Bass Sim VST/Plug-in?

Does anyone know of a decent free Bass Sim plug-in?

I don't own a Bass (yet) and the Bass Sim I use in my stand-alone recorder isn't quite cutting it on a project I'm currently working on.

FWIW, I use GT Pro 3 to mix.

Thanks in advance.
post edited by dwardzala - 2008/09/23 10:21:20

Dave
Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
Win10 x64 Home
Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
M-Box Mini v. 2
Win 10 x64 Home
Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

13 Replies Related Threads

Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: Bass Sim VST/Plug-in? 2008/09/23 10:38:59 (permalink)
    You may want to check out 4Front Bass. It can be found at this link here.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

dwardzala
    RE: Bass Sim VST/Plug-in? 2008/09/23 17:45:43 (permalink)
    Doc,

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm not sure this is what I am looking for (or I don't know how to use it).

What I am trying to do is play a regular electric guitar and run it through a plug in that bascally shifts the pitch an octave lower and adds some "bass" character to the track. I have a hardware "sim" (an COSM effect in the Boss BR-600) but it gets real flaky as the signal decays.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
    Doc_Hollingsworth
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2289
    RE: Bass Sim VST/Plug-in? 2008/09/24 10:47:40 (permalink)
    Ok I see what you mean. I don't know of any freeware versions. Voxengo offeres the LF-Max which can do something of what you are looking for.

I have a similar effect on my Digitech GNX3000 and it get's flaky as the signal decays as well. I have a similar effect in my Line6 Gearbox. However I can't seem to find any freeware that would address this. You might PM SteveStrummerUK he might know of one.

Doc
    MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
    Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
    Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
    Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

TomN
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: Bass Sim VST/Plug-in? 2008/09/24 23:26:48 (permalink)
    I think I learned something today. Am I correct in saying I can't use that Bass VSTi thingy unless I am using Midi?
    BTW, I am also a Midiot.
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Bass Sim VST/Plug-in? 2008/09/25 08:34:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: TomN

I think I learned something today. Am I correct in saying I can't use that Bass VSTi thingy unless I am using Midi?
    BTW, I am also a Midiot.

He he - great word Tom!

Generally speaking, VST = audio; VSTi = MIDI

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Bass Sim VST/Plug-in? 2008/09/25 08:39:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Doc_Hollingsworth

Ok I see what you mean. I don't know of any freeware versions. Voxengo offeres the LF-Max which can do something of what you are looking for.

I have a similar effect on my Digitech GNX3000 and it get's flaky as the signal decays as well. I have a similar effect in my Line6 Gearbox. However I can't seem to find any freeware that would address this. You might PM SteveStrummerUK he might know of one.

Hi there Dave

I managed to create a usable bass line with my guitar over in Bill's thread [click HERE - POST #47] but that was using my Line 6 Gearbox.

I'll have a little hunt through my VST folder later and see if I can find any free software that would do what you [both] want to do.

Steve

Edit - typo
    post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2008/09/25 08:41:58

dwardzala
    RE: Bass Sim VST/Plug-in? 2008/09/29 10:39:24 (permalink)
    Steve,

Thanks. I can get passable bass lines using my Boss BR-600 effects as long as the strings are played frequently. If I have to hold the notes without playing them, as the signal decays, the sound gets a little flaky. Normally, even this isn't a problem if there is a rhythm part over top of it, but I have a project going where its the bass, a lead and not much else.
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Bass Sim VST/Plug-in? 2008/09/29 12:30:04 (permalink)

Yeah, I had the same problem in Gearbox - as soon as the signal starts to die away it started searching around the octaves!

Try adding a fair bit of compression, that might help in between notes.

cjlinus
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Bass Sim VST/Plug-in? 2008/09/29 19:14:57 (permalink)
    dwardzala,

Your probably better off just getting a bass. By the time you find a plug, or buy a different hardware sim you could just have bought a nice used Yamaha or Fender/Squire and laid down your tracks. If you have a keyboard you might be able to use whatever bass sound it has but you mentioned being a "midiot" so I'm guessing you don't want to go that route either. Just get a bass and you'll be happier.

Check out THIS thread we had about bass guitars.

When I was a kid we had to use Portastudios, uphill! both ways!!

Listen to my songs here
    dwardzala
    RE: Bass Sim VST/Plug-in? 2008/09/29 19:56:45 (permalink)
    CJ,

Its on my list (matter of fact, next on my list) but it will be coming from Santa so I have to wait a few more months. Of couse in the mean time I am trying not a let a little thing like lack of gear prevent me from recording.

Actually, the "midiot" is someone else (not that I would claim to be knowledgeable either). I do have a keyboard but it is, um, vintage (but does have midi). I haven't been real pleased with the "bass" sounds I get out of it either, but maybe I can combine the two. I'm definitely pushing my mixing/engineering envelope here - but what better way to learn.
    Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Bass Sim VST/Plug-in? 2008/09/29 20:40:16 (permalink)
    Hi (again) dwarzala... just replied to your post about getting a bass in another thread.

Before I got my bass, I was in the same situation as you... trying to use my regular guitar to do bass parts. Here's how I went about doing it (copied from an older post in another thread....)

---

I have been using my regular guitar to come up with and to record bass parts. The results can vary, but I'm finding it surprisingly effective.

I don't have a fixed forumula for doing this. But basicly and most recently, I use the neck pickups with an appropriate tone control setting and send that into a bass-boosting patch in my POD X3 -- not one that actually tries to shift the octaves (which as other have said has its limitations), but one that just boosts low end and fattens and rounds the sound. My guitar has an additional 6db boost knob at (I think) 650Hz that I use to fatten it up. I then tweak the various settings in the POD, including the EQ and compressor modules, to deepen and round out the sound. This gets me closer to a basic (and relatively "unprocessed", so to speak) bass sound.

I then do additional processing in Sonar. I use EQ and additionl compressing, amp and/or tape sims, and so on to further sculpt the sound. I've tried transposing down an octave, but I don't find it as effective.

Definitely, there are certain kinds of bass sounds that cannot be gotten this way. But it can work depending on your needs. It's also an interesting process.

With real bass, or even with sampled bass, one of the issues is how to process/shape/sculpt it so that it fits in the mix. This typically involves rolling off some low end, compressing, maybe shaping the mids to bring out the upper harmonics, and so on.

Doing bass with a regular guitar, which is an octave higher, the issues are a kind of mirror image: you need to increase the low end, without overdoing it; while the mids are already more present, but you don't want them to sound too thin or bright and "guitar"-like. In both cases the sound needs to be shaped and made to work with the mix. The issues are pretty much the same, only you approach them from a different angle.

The fact that regular guitar strings have a smaller vibrating mass than bass strings is no small factor -- I think that's why some kinds of sounds seem beyond this approach.

But overall, I'm finding that it works nicely for what I'm doing, which is some kind of rock -- not super uberheavy, but not too lite either.

Importantly, I find it much easier to get the kind of bass parts that I like by using a guitar than by using a keyboard... the articulations are much better, and that alone helps make it work. You just have "think bass" when you're doing it.

FWIW.

post edited by Marah Mag - 2008/09/29 20:48:15
    dwardzala
    RE: Bass Sim VST/Plug-in? 2008/09/29 21:05:01 (permalink)
    Thanks Marah.

For now, I think I am going to have to go a similar route that you did, using compression maybe adding some synth bass to the mix in certain spots to cover where the signal starts to decay, etc.

I tend to cut my bass sound around 100-125 Hz so that it is separate from the kick. The project I am working on is an REM cover from the early nineties.
    bfloyd
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Bass Sim VST/Plug-in? 2008/10/06 00:32:15 (permalink)
    I found the DSK bass to be very nice. I was in a struggling boat trying to find a good bass sim and was just about to buy a bass when I found this free plug. Some of the basses included are mediocre but there are some nice ones in there with the right eq applied. My fav. is the Yamaha bass that's included (to me it sounds the most realistic). There are also a few synth basses but I use it only for the real basses. Do a google search for DSK bass and it should come up.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1